Intel Reportedly Preparing Two New Chips in Kaby Lake Refresh

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
The folks over at Canard PC have certainly been getting lots of attention lately. Now they have some fresh rumors about a pair of new Intel Kaby Lake CPU's. (Link to article translated from French using Google Translate.) They report that we will likely soon be seeing a Core i7-7740K at 4.3Ghz (100mhz above the 7700K) and a Core i5-7640K at 4.0Ghz. Interestingly they are also suggesting that the i5 part may get Hyperthreading.

Canard PC makes a big deal out of this being Intel's response to Ryzen, but I am not sure I am convinced. Judging by the 2700K, 2550K, 4790K and 4690K, this wouldn't be the first time Intel launched a mid-generation refresh, though this does seem a little sooner than in the past.

As always with these rumors, I take them with a truckload of salt, but it will be interesting to see if these pan out or if they are, well, a canard.

Translated via Google Translate from the original French:
We should very soon have access to a Core i5 7640K, which will allow us to confirm this information and give you more details about the frequencies in Turbo mode. Given the excitement at Intel, and according to the first tests on final Ryzen processors, other models could quickly complement these CPUs. Conversely, Intel is currently testing the Core i5 7640K and 7740K with its major customers but does not guarantee them a final sale. The manufacturer wants to ensure that it can respond almost immediately (within a few days) in case AMD changes its plans at the last minute. However, the validation of new processors is a time-consuming process, especially when they incorporate sensitive modifications such as activation of HT on Core i5. However, the democratization of 4C / 8T models in the mid-range would remain very good news for consumers. Proof of the concrete interest of healthy competition, absent for too long.

hah. This shit is going to get good.

http://imgur.com/raV3khB
[source reddit]

Intel is already coaching their reps what to say.

To me this looks like they are taking AMD seriously this time around.

I'm still a little bit of a skeptic when it comes to Ryzen, but it's good to see that Intel takes it seriously. It might meant we wind up with some real competition after all.

Is it possible that for the i5 part to only put Hyper-Threading on two of the cores, resulting in a 6 thread processor? Would be noticeably better than the 7600k without encroaching on the 7700k. The other option is to have it basically be a 7700k with 6mb of cache.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Kaby-...ntels-Antwort-Core-i7-7740K-i5-7640K-1220177/

PCGamesHardware has looked into this and offered their own rumors concerning these: Translated by Google Translate.

PC Games Hardware was able to find out from its own resources, the subject matter, that the Core i7-7740K and i5-7640K actually should appear, but not as a timely Ryzen counter-attack and also not as Kaby Lake-S. Rather, it is the 112-Watt chips with code names Kaby Lake-X, which are to appear to Gamescom for the new high-end platform with base 2066. These are the same S-Dies, in which only the GPUs are deactivated and the TDPs are raised. The Heatspreader is not soldering to Intel, but is based on its "Thermal Interface Material". The Intel i7-7740K does not want to spend more than 4.5 GHz on its current state - the i7-7740K has a 100 MHz increased basistakt compared to the i7-7700K, but needs the same 4.5 GHz turbo .

Turning on HT on an i5... I guess that's going to kill the overclocking potential. Kyle's articles show that HT is a detriment, not a benefit, when OC

So we get hyperhread on the cheap pentium and now on the i5? I do believe we have Good old competition to thank for this indeed. 4c4t Ryzen cpus are going to be the bottom of the stack so it makes sense for Intel to do some tweaking. Should be a buyers year for gear all. Good stuff.

Turning on HT on an i5... I guess that's going to kill the overclocking potential. Kyle's articles show that HT is a detriment, not a benefit, when OC

If you don't want the HT, you can always disable it in the BIOS.

So we get hyperhread on the cheap pentium and now on the i5? I do believe we have Good old competition to thank for this indeed. 4c4t Ryzen cpus are going to be the bottom of the stack so it makes sense for Intel to do some tweaking. Should be a buyers year for gear all. Good stuff.

Yeah, something about this doesn't make sense to me though.

I mean, if not the HT, what's the difference between a quad core i5 and a quad core i7?

If you don't want the HT, you can always disable it in the BIOS.

Yeah, something about this doesn't make sense to me though.

I mean, if not the HT, what's the difference between a quad core i5 and a quad core i7?

A higher guaranteed base clock rate, a small amount of L3 cache... and that's likely about it.

Just as an aside on the original comment about the 4790 being an "update" to Haswell but coming later. In actuality, this is much more like the i7-4771 release vs the i7-4770, in both timing and speed difference -- which was basically an "our yields are better than expected right now, let's see if we can get some more cash out these things" reaction.

Nice to see intel taking AMD serious.

Unless AMD falls far short though I will be going AMD this round for no other reason then to ensure they will be around for a few more rounds pushing Intel. I'm glad Intel looks like they will step up with some parts and perhaps some pricing cuts. Still they need the fall, AMD grabbing a bit of market share from them is required to extend the lifespan of the traditional desktop. Without one they will coast until ARM starts to nip at their heals and by then it will be a bit late.

Nice to see intel taking AMD serious.

Unless AMD falls far short though I will be going AMD this round for no other reason then to ensure they will be around for a few more rounds pushing Intel. I'm glad Intel looks like they will step up with some parts and perhaps some pricing cuts. Still they need the fall, AMD grabbing a bit of market share from them is required to extend the lifespan of the traditional desktop. Without one they will coast until ARM starts to nip at their heals and by then it will be a bit late.

Amen to that brother.

These chips are Kaby Lake X and not something for LGA1151. They have been planned for a long time.

But the hype train is on full mode.

Yeah, and then in April they laid off 12,000 people.

It's all a part of Intel looking towards the future. More and more they seem to suspect the future is not x86.

Or its to do with trimming and reorganization after mergers. In 2006 they cut 10000 jobs too. There is still 107K left at Intel.

Seriously skeptical about those power numbers there. Not the prices, but an 8/16 running at nearly 4GHz with a 65W tdp? o_O

Yep, that's rather...unlikely :)

Back