- Joined
- Feb 6, 2006
- Messages
- 13,984
I could be wrong, but aren't older systems horrible with power consumption, heat, and PSU efficiency? It wasn't really a priority back in the day so I don't have numbers. I can understand the desire to tinker, but you might be better off tinkering with something more modern and cheap.
A Pentium II 450 level processor only used about 30-40watts, and Power supplies were typically 200-250watts. At at horrid 65% efficiency, a system could pull 385 watts from the wall in the worst case (if the PSU could have withstood 100% load).
Compared to a similar class machine today (say Core i7, 5870) would draw about 470 watts from the wall (assuming a 400w load and 85% efficiency). So it's pretty much the same.. we just get a shitload more work done today for the power used.
It wasn't until 2003-2005 that power usage got really bad and manufacturer's had to start thinking about how they were building things.