Intel Optane Memory Arrives With Crazy Low Queue Depth Performance

A bit different from the NAND used on those vs this, along with higher speeds and low QD, which is where this new memory excels at, this is meant for low end computers and existing upgrades without paying for a $3-400 SSD, as everyone wants 1TB+ now in their computers, but when most people only pay $4-500 for the computer as a whole, that is not an option.

But when does performance matter to anyone buying a $400 PC? People paying that much really don't care about NAND, and Queue Depths. Enthusiasts will fill their single M.2 slot with something far more worthwhile. It's a useless product in 90% of cases.

But when does performance matter to anyone buying a $400 PC? People paying that much really don't care about NAND, and Queue Depths. Enthusiasts will fill their single M.2 slot with something far more worthwhile. It's a useless product in 90% of cases.

Everyone cares about performance, many people can't afford the luxury of a SSD that costs as much as the computer, or have never experienced the speed of one and has no idea. And as I already said and the link ALSO said, this is NOT for enthusiasts, does no one read anymore?

Everyone cares about performance, many people can't afford the luxury of a SSD that costs as much as the computer, or have never experienced the speed of one and has no idea. And as I already said and the link ALSO said, this is NOT for enthusiasts, does no one read anymore?

I work in IT support. Trust me...not all people care about performance. The folks that buy the cheap laptops and PCs are just not interested. All they want to do is use Facebook and Amazon. I tell them about having more RAM and a SSD. What happens?

Most of them just either glaze over or say "well if it's going to cost that much I'll leave it!"

I know this isn't for enthusiasts because its a pet IT project that isn't required. It's not for cheapskate or average IT ignorant users either.

For a start it won't even go in their cheapskate PC...

I work in IT support. Trust me...not all people care about performance. The folks that buy the cheap laptops and PCs are just not interested. All they want to do is use Facebook and Amazon. I tell them about having more RAM and a SSD. What happens?

Most of them just either glaze over or say "well if it's going to cost that much I'll leave it!"

I know this isn't for enthusiasts because its a pet IT project that isn't required. It's not for cheapskate or average IT ignorant users either.

Bolded relevant information.

Bolded relevant information.

So explain why it's such a boon for cheap PCs...if cheap PC owners don't care? Why would manufacturers bother to add this if they cant even be bothered to give a machine 8GB or a 7200rpm HDD?

In you initial post you make far more assumptions about Joe Average user wanting or needing this than I do. Most I know don't want or care about having big fast storage. I would say 60-100GB is the norm. I do a lot of data recovery work...

I've swapped more 500GB+ HDDs for 120-250GB SSDs than I care to remember. No one has ever complained or asked for a bigger SSD. Not everyone is a compulsive anime/bit torrent hoarder.

So explain why it's such a boon for cheap PCs...if cheap PC owners don't care? Why would manufacturers bother to add this?

In you initial post you make far more assumptions about Joe Average user wanting or needing this than I do. Most I know don't want or care about having big fast storage. I would say 60-100GB is the norm. I do a lot of data recovery work...

I've swapped more 500GB+ HDDs for 120-250GB SSDs than I care to remember. No one has ever complained or asked for a bigger SSD. Not everyone is a compulsive anime/bit torrent hoarder.

Most people have no idea the space they need, however 1TB+ is a huge selling point, many people see a laptop with a 256GB SSD that is almost twice the price of another laptop with 1TB HDD. It is not that they don't care about performance, it is they don't understand it.

Swapping to smaller SSDs is a case by case basis, and in the case of a performance gain, adding in a $40 drive like this and allowing them to keep the 500-1TB HDD and seeing a nice performance gain is a win-win. If you can't understand that I can't help you.

Yep we'll have to agree to disagree.

I can see Intel dropping these in a few months and finding them in clearance for $20, that's if they ever manage to push them out.

This is actually meant to be used on the desktop, this is meant to be paired with a slower HDD and less ram with one of these drives in a M.2 slot, giving (what they claim) is closer to SSD performance at the normal HDD price range, and for most user loads that is probably true, though not for many people here. I see this more as an OEM option outside of SSDs. Will need cheaper/bigger drives before it really becomes a thing for most people here.

This is not a RAM stick, this is a SSD drive acting as a VERY large HDD cache, Intel was talking about it actually being built into HDDs in the future, much like hybrid drives are right now, how it will differ or performance gain we will have to wait and see. Does not really catch my eye, as everything I have is almost all SSD outside of bulk media storage for my Plex server.

Damn I knew that too, getting my wires crossed with xpoint and optane. Thanks for the correction.

Back