Intel Larrabee - a prototype

I still see the 5675C and 5775C (Broadwell C) as spiritual successors. It is a fast iGPU that actually has widespread driver support and is faster than Larrabee. Very awesome chip.

wat? Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200 is very slow compared to almost any dedicated gpu for gaming, even if larrabee wasnt doing good atall it was probrably still faster and it was MUCH more powerful for compute loads.

How many times has intel failed in making a decent graphics chip/video card again? Just save the money intel, and continue to buy the good parts from your competitors...

the x200 phis can already beat a gpu in many compute workloads. if they can get enough of a software layer together or modify the hardware wnough i can see them coming out with a capable gaming card

wat? Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200 is very slow compared to almost any dedicated gpu for gaming, even if larrabee wasnt doing good atall it was probrably still faster and it was MUCH more powerful for compute loads.

Well we would have to figure out the mm^2 that the Iris takes up and extrapolate to a normal size GPU. Comparing an iGPU to a dedicated GPU doesn’t make sense.

Well we would have to figure out the mm^2 that the Iris takes up and extrapolate to a normal size GPU. Comparing an iGPU to a dedicated GPU doesn’t make sense.

na the other poster just said the intigrated graphics were superior and i was arguing agenst that

i'm actually pissed about this, makes me dislike Linus Tech Tips ... he didn't get it working, and we didn't even see under the HSF much less removing the IHS so we can see the bare die... pointless

didnt you bid pretty close to $400 the first time this went up? i wonder i they contacted the seller after the auction

In 2018 it isn't too quick, but it is capable of quite a bit. It is basically a GTX 650. It is fully unlocked and overclockable too!

Yes I too 'am a bit confused. Red Falcon won the auction and Linus got the card ?

Reactions: erek
like this
i'm actually pissed about this, makes me dislike Linus Tech Tips ... he didn't get it working, and we didn't even see under the HSF much less removing the IHS so we can see the bare die... pointless

I bet there's another video about it, eventually. Remember he's in the business of selling ad space. What sells more ad space than one short video? Six videos.

But yeah, it'd be more interesting if Kyle (Bennett) and/or the GamersNexus dude got their hands on it.

Well, I made a nice post on his YT page. Maybe I can see if Linus will faithfully give this back to you. Long shot but hey, I am willing to stick my neck out for you.

Looking at the sticker and positioning, color and the A2 written, I can tell that is identical. I also see the abrasions on the rear gpu support bracket. Looks like Linus repasted it because he got some on the shroud.

like this
well now im kinda wondering if intel ever steped in atall or if linus just contacted the seller after the auction
Well, I made a nice post on his YT page. Maybe I can see if Linus will faithfully give this back to you. Long shot but hey, I am willing to stick my neck out for you.

Looking at the sticker and positioning, color and the A2 written, I can tell that is identical. I also see the abrasions on the rear gpu support bracket. Looks like Linus repasted it because he got some on the shroud.

Red Falcon ultimately legitimately won the eBay Auction I will admit

Or he saw your post of a possible windfall and decided he wanted to be rich in 20 years. Wishful thinking, but sometimes that is all we got.

I have confirmation from the "Russian" who owns the other Larrabee prototype that "XXXsh: he says it shows in the system as co-processor" ... that is with booting to video with an IGP or Dedicated other video card.

Yes I too 'am a bit confused. Red Falcon won the auction and Linus got the card ?
Yes, I did win the card for $310.00 + $20.00 shipping.
The seller then canceled the order and promptly refunded my money, so I will give them that, but I will be damned if Linus didn't get that EXACT same card.

If I had to guess, either he or his employers were in the bid to get it, and when they didn't win, they must have made an offer the seller couldn't refuse.
I agree, I would have much rather seen erek get the card, and he was very kind and generous to post it on here. (y)

All is fair in love, war, and Larrabee GPUs! :LOL:

EDIT: haha, I'm still watching through Linus' video right now, and he said he "spent like $400.00 on this thing"... lulz, some offer that ebay seller couldn't refuse alright - I would have price-matched Linus on that. :confused:

Last edited:
like this

I agree, and he should really consider giving/selling it to erek, as I would much rather see him with it.
I do think it would have been a cool piece of history to own, but I can tell it was much more erek's passion to have it than it was, mine.

Here's to hoping he gets back to you!
Also, the numbers on the barcode sticker are exactly the same as the one on the ebay auction, so yes, it is most definitely the very same one.

like this
Ok, I just watch the whole video - just, wow...
That Larrabee GPU is most likely from 2006 or 2007, and would be PCI-E 1.0/1.1, and yes, DVI was the most prominent digital connection at that time - HDMI and DisplayPort weren't in use at all at that point (definitely not DP).

So he's using a motherboard that is far too new and may not have backwards compatibility (try using a motherboard with first-gen PCI-E from 2005 or 2006), and he is also using a 4K display which may not have DVI-D (single/dual-link) compatibility or signaling (try using a 5:4 LCD monitor from around 2005-2007 with DVI-D single-link).
Linus is giving up way too fast with trying way too little.

Very sad, that Larrabee GPU deserved better troubleshooting.

EDIT: I commented on the video with the above troubleshooting suggestions, and hopefully he gives it a try and doesn't give up so easily.
That GPU is over a decade old as well - I would be truly shocked if it "just worked" on the first try with 2018-era equipment.

He really needs to use equipment from the era in which that GPU was made to know for sure. :)

Last edited:
Hopefully Linus or his staff do post another follow up video on getting it to work.

Last edited:
like this
Here was the message that was sent me :

I have received a worrying communication from an entity claiming to represent Intel. Unfortunately, I will be unable to ship this to you due to some legal concerns that were raised. I have issued you a full refund. I'm truly sorry about this.

Bullshit. LTT is just as bad as the GPP. To be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just watch the whole video - just, wow...
That Larrabee GPU is most likely from 2006 or 2007, and would be PCI-E 1.0/1.1, and yes, DVI was the most prominent digital connection at that time - HDMI and DisplayPort weren't in use at all at that point (definitely not DP).

So he's using a motherboard that is far too new and may not have backwards compatibility (try using a motherboard with first-gen PCI-E from 2005 or 2006), and he is also using a 4K display which may not have DVI-D (single/dual-link) compatibility or signaling (try using a 5:4 LCD monitor from around 2005-2007 with DVI-D single-link).
Linus is giving up way too fast with trying way too little.

Very sad, that Larrabee GPU deserved better troubleshooting.

EDIT: I commented on the video with the above troubleshooting suggestions, and hopefully he gives it a try and doesn't give up so easily.
That GPU is over a decade old as well - I would be truly shocked if it "just worked" on the first try with 2018-era equipment.

He really needs to use equipment from the era in which that GPU was made to know for sure. :)
He never said he was giving up. He definitely going to make more videos about this card. Heva busy guy and doesn't have days to commit on one thing. In the mean time he proabably sourcing parts and doing more research about it. This video was mostly a quick run down of the history of this card.

He never said he was giving up. He definitely going to make more videos about this card. Heva busy guy and doesn't have days to commit on one thing. In the mean time he proabably sourcing parts and doing more research about it. This video was mostly a quick run down of the history of this card.
I certainly hope so, he spent like ten minutes "trying" to get it to boot with the GPU, and then just gave up.
Really do hope he (or someone on his production team) figures out how to get it to work.

the eBay seller is a douchebag if he sold it to him after cancelling your order. I would make someone walk the plank for something like that.
Agreed, but i wonder Linus' team involvement with underhandedly circumventing the eBay Auction to get it...

Report the buyer with the link to Linus' video. Let Ebay go after him. Everyone may lose in the end but at least the seller will get fucked for doing wrong.

How is that show popular, I've watched one episode and it was awful. About as informative as spending 10 minutes at geek squad.

He thinks he owns the tech space. His videos are like those fake reality shows with no actual depth in his content.

like this
Wow, I feel like I'm in the GenMay SoapBox with this thread. Lots of conjecture and accusations without any actual evidence.

Back