Intel Larrabee - a prototype

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by erek, Nov 25, 2017.

1. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Yah,

just curious if you can get more verbose output during the boot up by removing the quiet tag from global.xml ...

X:\Program Files\Intel\MPSS\global.xml

"
    <!--Remove the quiet element for more verbose boot logging-->

<quiet/> "

Red Falcon likes this.
  2. power666

power666 [H]Lite

Are you sure that that is a Knight's Corner generation of card? The memory arrange doesn't appear to be 512 bit wide (looks 256 bit) and the '09 copy right date would imply that this could be the earliest generation: Knight's Ferry. Considering that Intel only released drivers publicly for the Knights Corner and Knights Landing generation, anything relating to Knights Ferry mostly would have been under NDA. A few select developers and a couple of HPC centers got them. It looks like the micctrl command is always trying to load the OS image for Knights Corner which as seen fails. Perhaps trying a Linux distribution with an earlier driver is in order? Intel has MPCC v2.1 on their site. If you're lucky it'll include a Knights Ferry base OS image to try loading onto the card.

What memory chips and capacity are used on this board? I've heard of 1 GB and 2 GB versions of Knights Ferry.

There is also a debug port on the underside of the card near the DP connector. Is that for JTAG or something else?

At the top of the card there appears to be another connector? Any indication of what this could be for (genlock)?

If you're lucky, there could be a simple RS232 header some where that'd permit you to console into the card's firmware/bootloader.

Also do you have Above 4G Encoding enabled on that test motherboard? Knights Corner requires it to be enabled to work, obviously unsure about Knights Ferry.

AceGoober, auntjemima, erek and 2 others like this.
  3. Slaventus86

Slaventus86 n00b

This card is from the same time as Knights Ferry, but actually not Knights Ferry. Here is what is written on the labels:

Product: Visual Computing SDV D3CA4 Family
    Codename: Aubrey Isle Gfx POC C0
    Board = Fab E POC; GPU = C0 - E1

And here is the citation from Tom Forsyth:

Also Tom said that normally it runs FreeBSD instance, but it also can run Linux.

All available drivers are only for Knights Corner and above, so there is now Linux/FreeBSD image for earlier cards in public access.

This card has 2 GB of GDDR5 RAM (Samsung chips) and 32 cores running at 1.2 GHz speed.

I can see 3 different connectors with unknown purpose labeled as J2UC, J1DB, J1DV, and 2 jumpers near power connectors.

Now I'm going to try with verbose logging

4. erek

erek 2[H]4U

I was also going to suggest getting the absolute earliest driver and hope for the possibility of it having support for Knights Ferry

check this out :

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-composer-xe-2013-compilers-fixes-list

DPD200172440 C Intel(R) MIC Architecture users cannot move their code from KNF Alpha 6 (MPSS 1.0) to KNF Alpha 7 (MPSS 2.0.964) because latest compiler cannot parse c++0x extensions in gcc 4.7.0 headers

power666 and Slaventus86 like this.
  5. erek

erek 2[H]4U

I'm seeing some references to a "MPSS 1-2.1.4982-15-rhel-6.3" ... still searching

Slaventus86 likes this.
  6. power666

power666 [H]Lite

It appears that KNF support was dropped mid 2012 per this post on Intel's developer forum. That gives us a reference to how far back in time we need to go at a minimum.

erek likes this.
  7. Slaventus86

Slaventus86 n00b

Even if we will find KNF drivers this will not help to launch the card as videocard. I think KNF drivers are only for Linux and will give us only a co-processor card as a result. So I see only two ways to get needed drivers for Larrabee as videocard:

1) Find Intel's ex-employee who still have the drivers - I asked at least 3 persons, but with no result;

2) Intel's Premier Support - access to this support is only for chosen Intel's partners, probably the device Visual Computing SDV D3CA4 Family (as mentioned above this is how my card is labeled) will be listed there and it will be possible to download drivers. I do not have access to this support and do not know anyone who has.

Of course there are additional ways, for example to get the whole Larrabee SDK computer, probably this PC's were also not destroyed at recycling factories.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    erek likes this.
  8. power666

power666 [H]Lite

If we were to follow that path, it would take us right by the old rumor that Sony was going to use Larrabee in the PS4. That would imply that early PS4 concept/prototyping was done using Aubrey Isles and there would be numerous units in service. Downside is that they'd mostly be found in Japan with a couple found in SCEA's offices. Even if you couldn't get the hardware, the people involved may still have the drivers.

As far as ex-employees, have you gone over some of their old SIGGRAPH presentations and the like? The authors for them at the very least had drivers at one point in time. Ditto for some of their HPC papers, though that wouldn't get the card functioning as a GPU we'd at least get some where. Intel was very active about promoting Larrabee in its research phase in the 2008-2010 time frame.

erek likes this.
  9. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Slaventus86

have you tried this?

Micctrl’s new verbose options: micctrl added new verbosity options, -vv and -vvv, to the previously available -v option.

---

micctrl --start -vvv

10. erek

erek 2[H]4U

11. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

^ Interesting proposition - too rich for my blood, though I hope they can buy it from him.
    However, erek, I might have another historic opportunity for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-3-CECHP01-Console-No-Hard-Drive-Linux-Workstation-PLS-READ/202402261238?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These are the same PS3 units used in the Air Force Research Laboratory's Condor Supercomputer, which was the 33rd fastest supercomputer in the world circa 2007 and in operation up until circa 2015.
    They have an early firmware on them that allows them to still run OtherOS and GNU/Linux (YDL, Fedora, etc.), and the seller has 9 of them left as of this posting.

While I am not the seller, he did state that he won them in a military auction recently, and they are all in working condition, though they ship without the disk drives or disk caddies - I have four myself from him and they are now in a fully operational Beowulf cluster with 1 master node and 3 slave nodes.
    Well worth the $56 USD each, and especially for the historic value they represent!

The IBM Cell (PowerPC) CPU is capable of around 200GFLOPS (each SPE is around 25GFLOPS), and with one SPE disabled and one SPE dedicated to the PS3 OS (or OtherOS hypervisor), these units are still capable of ~150GFLOPS of computational processing.

Look at the units behind the interviewee and you can see the same tags/stickers/tape on those that are the same as the ones being sold. ;)
    Happy computing!

12. erek

erek 2[H]4U

""The cart boots up, and contains 2 strange test programs on the first 2 slots, which appear to contain artwork and graphics from the game Mini Ninjas for Wii.""

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-G...028239?hash=item41ebaf9a0f:g:e84AAOSwtOZbhKjw

13. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Red Falcon likes this.
  14. erek

erek 2[H]4U

we have an update... the Revision 2 card has a chip that other Revision 1 cards that we know of are missing... "winbond"

Revision 1:

upload_2019-3-23_18-52-11.png

Revision 2:

8E2PrilOM_1O4hSVz8illJZ5lsRqa1WtLM9WOB3rxxWLWGRUtMn02O8CRwEbmyKifiLfD0xw&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

Slaventus86 likes this.
  15. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Wow, swapping that chip from the Revision 2 into a Revision 1 got it further along !!!

upload_2019-3-23_18-57-35.png

AceGoober and Slaventus86 like this.
  16. erek

erek 2[H]4U

17. erek

erek 2[H]4U

18. Slaventus86

Slaventus86 n00b

19. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Red Falcon Slaventus86 Elmy

I received the Larrabee (Revision 2) BIOS and my Revision 1 is now detected as a Coprocessor, but installing the MPSS drivers yields system reboot.

Previously my card had no BIOS chip:

hE8obGjretptt37_f9zQrnLmiQBFYQft5NeBpHquwjcCXO3u8c_Z6sEGM3YkYUKsl3PZ3Jbx&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.png

Now with BIOS from Revision 2 card:

unknown.png

Detected as Coprocessor:

unknown.png

20. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

21. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Holy crap, you are doing it man - keep going! (y) :cool:

22. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

likely if you back trace the silicon info, that is actually a very good bargain price as Larabee was only ever test bed stuff, i.e not for RTM status .. average joe and jane .. the silican amount of cores, transisotr scale all that fancy stuff, likely puts even ~$500 today "discounting" not meant for gaming on etc etc, still a fair bargain, especially those that might be able to make it live again to do something functional, as, at it's heart, beats - many many cores/hearts, will be interesting to see what Intel cobbles/comes up with for 2020s dGPU

suppose they have to find a place for them stupid hot running cores or them slow as molasses in january ones LOL

erek likes this.