Honestly I think I am wanting to see almost a SB 5yrs later type editorial. We had the iconic 300a, the a64, the q6600 and then the 2600k, but nothing really since. IIIRC your Skylake review said it was finally an upgrade for us SB owners that we could feel OK with, not hey this is worth doing. And now with KL it's a solid meh vs SL. Leaves those of us that have waited this long still wondering if it's worthwhile or should we a bit longer of we can

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Honestly I think I am wanting to see almost a SB 5yrs later type editorial. We had the iconic 300a, the a64, the q6600 and then the 2600k, but nothing really since. IIIRC your Skylake review said it was finally an upgrade for us SB owners that we could feel OK with, not hey this is worth doing. And now with KL it's a solid meh vs SL. Leaves those of us that have waited this long still wondering if it's worthwhile or should we a bit longer of we can
Well, I think you could take our Skylake review and just insert Kaby Lake in and it would hold true. Nothing earth-shattering, but now we will have exact data to base that on.

2600K's IMC was never that great. 2133mhz was what I ran back then too. The 2700K raised the chances to run 2400mhz iirc. Btw, will that chip do 5ghz or higher?
Yeah, going back through my records, I don't have any data on running a stable 2400MHz. We based most of our data on 1866MHz. Diminishing returns beyond that, much like we have seen with DDR4. I think our choice of 2666MHz on DDR4 is a good tradeoff for testing focus.

I think he meant was not uncommon but they don't use it anymore. kyle and I talked about it in another thread. over-working the cpu with prime and the way it uses avx leads to pre-mature chip degradation. that's why they've added the avx offset into bioses.

Back