Intel Ivy Bridge Processor IPC and Overclocking @ [H]

Because they can? They have no competition in the market. BD hasn't done with on any front. Intel is free to play fast and loose with their prices because if we want good performance we have to pay whatever price they're demanding.
and my point was that they have no competition now and they still have $200-$300 cpus that deliver so why would that magically change with Haswell? heck if anything we have had better choices from Intel while they have had no direct high end competition.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on how hot it would probably be with a Corsair A70 cooler for a 3570K? Ball park it.

Love your honest reviews. So many other sites are giving "gold" awards and similar:confused:, when Ivy Bridge is barely an upgrade to Sandy Bridge:mad:. I'm glad I spent my cash on video cards instead of saving it for Ivy Bridge.:cool:

Thanks for the review.

Any plans on doing another review with a HD79XX or GTX680 to see how the new 28nm cards scale with IB?

GTX470 seems kind of out dated.

Anyone have any ideas on how hot it would probably be with a Corsair A70 cooler for a 3570K? Ball park it.

Looks like it depends pretty heavily on voltage. Anand did another overclocking/undervolting test and it looked like it was pretty good at 1.15 volts (which was good for, I think, 4.6) but above that it started getting warm in a hurry.

It's really simple. If you have a 2500 / 2600 variant and want to throw money away, literally then, you go and purchase an Ivy Bridge. All the hard work has been done for you. All the money has already been spent for you. All the time has already been invested for you. No need for you to re-invite the wheel.

Enjoy your 2600k and wait for Haswell. Very simple sound logic.

Basically Ivy Bridge running at 4.7Ghz is equal to 4.9Ghz on a Sandy Bridge. All the review sites are saying this in one way or another. No matter how hard you try and figure a way out around this, you are still throwing your money away if you go from your SB to an IB.

As always...a legit review:)

My i7 920 will continue to be my gaming system for some time I guess.

Best to wait a bit for more reviews and people sharing information online in forums like this one.

Excellent write-up as always Kyle.

Looks like for me I will be sticking with the old 920, as the old girl still plows through everything I toss at her.

Hopefully now that Ivy is out we'll start to hear more about Haswell. ;)

Has ANY "tick" in the history of intel ever really been worth upgrading if you had the previous "tock"? For the life of me I can't recall any that made me say "I gotta have that one" at least in the last decade. Pretty much ever since we hit the frequency cap there hasn't been much to die shrinks.

I mean how many people bitched about the small improvement from a Q6600 to the Q9550? A LOT, you'd think they'd learn by now. Take this excerpt from the QX9650 review here at [H]:

Is Penryn everything that was expected? Well, yes and no. Penryn in its current form is going to be more of a benefit to Intel than anyone else.

Compare that to the IB review:

The new Ivy Bridge processors from Intel are surely a win...for Intel.

Apparently a few new instructions and a slightly larger cache was enough to get the QX9650 a gold star though.

For all intents and purposes the "tick" in the i7-9xx never even happened for the $200-300 segment, all it brought was new super high end and new low end parts.

Since at least the P4 days "tick" = win for intel with more chips per wafer, and "tock" = win for us with architectural changes and improvements, and as far as competition goes intel has the exact same competition it's had since Core 2 chips came out, its last generation of chips. Maybe if AMD were more on top of things intels offerings would happen more frequently or they'd be a bit more agressive but in order to keep selling chips they have to keep making their old ones obsolete, AMD or not. If AMD called it quits tomorrow and intel decided that IB was good enough and canceled all future chips then eventually everybody would have an IB chip and they'd no longer be in the sales business just handling RMAs.

Last edited:
I wonder how long my less-than-wealthy self can keep on truckin' with the ol' Q6600 @ 3.4ghz... Always thought 2600k was the clear choice to upgrade, but with IB not really being better, I guess I can't count on people selling them off for cheap ;)

I wonder how long my less-than-wealthy self can keep on truckin' with the ol' Q6600 @ 3.4ghz... Always thought 2600k was the clear choice to upgrade, but with IB not really being better, I guess I can't count on people selling them off for cheap ;)

Either upgrade soon or dig in and wait for Haswell.

Can't wait to get a new IB laptop!

Also can't wait to build my new Haswell desktop...

Penryn is still rocking it for me. I will most likely grab an IB or SB set up here pretty soon. I was waiting for IB to see if SB prices dip, I still don't need anything extreme, the i5's are more then enough to cover the CPU side of gaming.

Oh, if you have a Q6600, the Ivy Bridge is a perfect upgrade. It's only if you already have a 2500 / 2600 varient that the upgrade to IB doesn't make much sense.

A new revision of the Ivy Bridge in the future where they might be able to address some of the heat issues could bring this CPU back into play for us 2600k owners. Trust me when I tell you, Intel has a lot of very frustrated 2600k owners right now who were more than ready to upgrade to Ivy Bridge but won't because there are no real performance gains to be realized.

Thanks for a well done write up. Well tempered with conservative testing and coments. Love the conclusions... A good processor for the everyday desktop user... not quite so exciting for the OC'er.

Thanks again Kyle

Oh, if you have a Q6600, the Ivy Bridge is a perfect upgrade. It's only if you already have a 2500 / 2600 varient that the upgrade to IB doesn't make much sense.

A new revision of the Ivy Bridge in the future where they might be able to address some of the heat issues could bring this CPU back into play for us 2600k owners. Trust me when I tell you, Intel has a lot of very frustrated 2600k owners right now who were more than ready to upgrade to Ivy Bridge but won't because there are no real performance gains to be realized.

I really doubt that there are a lot of frustrated 2600K owners. The 2600K is a fantastic chip, and anyone who was planning to upgrade away from that was probably kidding themselves if they thought Ivy was going to be a big jump. There are tons and tons of people still running i7-920s who are extremely happy with their performance still. Let's face it, CPUs have stopped being the pacing item in a modern computer for the vast majority of users.

*looks at AMD's R&D budget*
*looks at Intel's R&D budget*

Yeah... no.

Intel has a metric fuckton more money than AMD. No one can say what you just said with a straight face.

This isn't moneyball. Budgets are irrelevant. AMDs budget to performance is not going to do jack squat inside your computer.

How can you say that budget is irrelevant?
R+D budgets (generally) dictate how quickly you can develop/improve a product.
In general, the more money you throw at a problem, the faster it gets solved.

Like others have said, even if you're still with an i7-920, like me, in the real world there is no need to upgrade yet. The 920 cuts thru everything at a pace that's just not a problem.

If you really want to speed up your system in a way that you're gonna notice, you're best replacing you're HDD with a SSD with you're os and fav games on it. A Vertex 3 with cost you £10 less than a IB chip and give you a speed increase you'll notice.
And that's a truth Intel would rather people not learn too much about.

^agreed. my main pc use is gaming. my 920 hasn't gone above 70% utilization in bf3, even with a spike. 4.5-5ghz is appealing as an ocer but i just don't have any need for it right now.

Stay with your X58's people.
My friend just went from X58 to X79. But he is getting married soon, so hes thinking that he wont be able to upgrade for 5 years. haha
I went from P55 to Z77. Good Upgrade for me. But X58 is just great.

X58, i7-920, 24 GB RAM, Radeon 5870 here. Not seeing and real reason to upgrade to SB/IB at this point. Fixing to move to SSD drives.

I basically went GPU, SSD, GPU, SSD and now I'll get a 3770k.

At low game details my i5 [email protected] is struggling to get me constant 120fps in some games. (when my 7970 is hovering at 60% usage)

Looks like this will be a good CPU for my next rig. I'll likely be upgrading from my I7-920 main rig to something that also includes SATA-3, USB 3.0, and a more robust motherboard in general so making the jump from x58 isn't too bad in this case. Although I am not running into any problems with my current setup. Would just like a little more speed out of the attached components. So why not upgrade across the board and re-purpose the good 'ol 920 to server duty.

I do have to say though, that the i7-920 has been my favorite CPU of all time as far as longevity in my main rigs.

Thanks for the write-up Kyle!.

I am in the same boat. i7-920 on an EVGA Classified that's 3 years old, now. All I have had to do to keep up, is upgrade the video card, currently with a GTX570. I don't have any USB 3.0 devices, but I do have SATA3 SSD's that may benefit from a MB upgrade.

Keith

I am in the same boat. i7-920 on an EVGA Classified that's 3 years old, now. All I have had to do to keep up, is upgrade the video card, currently with a GTX570. I don't have any USB 3.0 devices, but I do have SATA3 SSD's that may benefit from a MB upgrade.

Keith

The only difference you'll notice moving to SATA3 is in benchmarks...

I can't help but feel like as the process matures, these things will overclock better and better.

At launch, there is little point in getting one of these over the equivalent SB SKU, but with maturity, later manufactured chips may really become interesting.

doesn't look like ivy bridge is as great as everyone thought it would be. 4-7% increase in speed. Not horrible, but doesn't give anyone an incentive to upgrade their Sandy Bridge Processors.

I expected more from 22nm, 3d resistors. Guess we will wait to see what Pile Driver brings to the table. Doubt its much more than 10-15% over current bulldozer, but should narrow the gap nicely.

Either upgrade soon or dig in and wait for Haswell.

Can't wait to get a new IB laptop!

Also can't wait to build my new Haswell desktop...

I s'pose I'll have to wait. Honestly, I think my GPU is holding me back more than my CPU. I intend to upgrade that first.

Gives more time for (possibly) better steppings of IB :)

I would just wait a year for Haswell
That's what I've decided to do with my i7-860. When I first put my system together, I never dreamed I'd still be using it and satisfied with it 2.5 years later. The only upgrades I've done are drop more memory in it and swap video cards. In all my previous builds, I was feeling some serious old slow technology pain after a couple of years.

I s'pose I'll have to wait. Honestly, I think my GPU is holding me back more than my CPU. I intend to upgrade that first.

I'd say its a toss up between your Q6600 and your 4890 gpu. I bet you would see some gains on your graphics going to a newer cpu setup, but to be honest you need to upgrade both...

I'm coming from a single-core hyper-threaded 3.2 GHz (stock) processor with the same GPU. Upgrading the CPU is first on my priority list...

well... hmm.. that is about exactly what I expected

although what is up with the prime95 crashing oc's ..so they don't bsod.. they still aren't stable..

I guess I should thank intel for not making I need to rush out and buy... cause I've been able to spend some money on audio instead of upgrading my pc (got some vintage Pioneer receivers and amps.. and some nicer speakers- Polk RTi4.)

I can't see any reason to move from my i5-2500K (@4.3Ghz) based on what i'm seeing here. They only reason I might do it is because my wife is still rocking a 775 (E5200) rig, so I might upgrade in order to give her my i5-2500K.

I would like to see benchmarks of a "best overclock 2700k" vs a "best overclock 3770K"

I agree that this would be nice, but you'd ahve to realize that tit would be representative of the tested parts only. If you wanted to say something conclusively about SB and IB in general, you'd need a random sample of ~30 CPU's each, bought in stores across batches to make sure that your sample is sufficiently randomized.

Then you'd need some poor bastard to overclock 60 CPU's jot down the data, and crunch the numbers statistically, in order to say which is faster.

It seems to me right now that SB is going to be faster overall OC vs. OC, but IB will be cooler.

The reason I say this is because the IPC of IB is only between 2.3% and 7.2% higher (average of 4.0%), but the clock speed differential is almost 10%.

In the end, the differences will be very small though.

Back