Intel Ivy Bridge Processor IPC and Overclocking @ [H]

The temps are only high when overvolting so no. At least it doesn't get as hot as a bulldozer cpu when overclocking.

I'm sure that they lost some sales over that decision though. Even still, I'm tempted to pick up a 3570k just to pop the IHS and see what I can do with it.
I'm waiting to grow some balls before I do it. $350 is a bit more than I usually gamble on something that would be cool, but that I don't really need since I'm already getting really good temps with my setup. 60C or less in Heaven and 65C or less in 3DMark11. 80C or less during a stress test in the Intel Extreme Tuning utility.

This is all for 4.6GHz @ 1.345v. I mean, 10C less would be nice, but it won't change anything in reality.

I'm waiting to grow some balls before I do it. $350 is a bit more than I usually gamble on something that would be cool, but that I don't really need since I'm already getting really good temps with my setup. 60C or less in Heaven and 65C or less in 3DMark11. 80C or less during a stress test in the Intel Extreme Tuning utility.

This is all for 4.6GHz @ 1.345v. I mean, 10C less would be nice, but it won't change anything in reality.

Yeah, I don't know that I would be able to do that with a 3770k either. Thats a bit too much of a gamble for me too.

Last night I decided to man up and do the IHS TIM replacement on my 3770K. This is definitely, by far the most intense PC DIY I have ever attempted.

The test setup.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_001.jpg

The other side of the room. I connected the DAC to my laptop to have music :)

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_002.jpg

My new PC. This is actually a 4-way SLI build, but I haven't received my other two 670's yet. Ironically, I ordered them before all the other parts.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_003.jpg

Did a 5 min run in Intel XTU to get the temps with stock TIM under IHS, open case. Clocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.345v.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_004.jpg

Cleaned the TIM off the NH-D14.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_005.jpg

The 3770K.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_006.jpg

Time to begin!

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_007.jpg

I need to get a box cutter into the gap between the IHS and the silicon. The guy in the the video makes it look a lot easier than it actually is. The glue is very viscous, so you need to press very hard on the blade, while not scratching the silicon since it has tiny tracks running on top of it. I found this to be best accomplished by turning the CPU at a 45 degree angle towards yourself and pushing on the blade with both hands.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_008.jpg

Done!

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_009.jpg

The work area where this was accomplished.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_010.jpg

IHS, silicon, and CPU die all nice and clean. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the TIM and scraped off the glue with a plastic card.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_011.jpg

I don't have Liquid Ultra, so I applied Noctua NT-H1 on both the die and on top of the IHS. If I do get the other TIM, then it will be easy to replace either way since the IHS won't be glued to the silicon anymore.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_012.jpg

Dropped in CPU.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_013.jpg

Placed the IHS on top and secured it with the CPU bracket. Time to put it all back together and see if it still works...

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_014.jpg

And it does!

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_015.jpg

Result with the NT-H1, open case.

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_016.jpg

PC back in its home <3

Intel_IHS_TIM_Replacement_017.jpg

Here are the final results after a 5 min Intel XTU run: stock Intel TIM vs NH-T1, in a closed case. The goal was a 10C drop for max temps.

5_min_IET_run_4.6_1.345v_stock_TIM_closed_case.png

5_min_IET_run_4.6_1.345v_NT-H1_closed_case.png

close_enough.png

Can anyone tell me a good guide to get started with OC'ing a 2500k?

I'm using a H100 on a P67 Sabertooth. I want to OC it soon at 4.6. What should I put the Multiplier and expecting <65c on load.

I lapped the inside of the ihs just enough to make it mirrorie and not to copper.
It has definitely helped temps.. should have got a pic.

I lapped the inside of the ihs just enough to make it mirrorie and not to copper.
It has definitely helped temps.. should have got a pic.

What temp delta did this achieve for you? Which sandpaper did you use? Very interested in this, thinking of lapping mine once I receive the Liquid Ultra.

Soon I will have my 3770K rig complete and will benchmark it to compare to my current W3520 @ 4ghz. Maybe I can help out some others who were on the fence about upgrading from 1366 to Ivy. So far I am surprised how well this thing is actually doing, let's see how much better the 3770K will be :)

Just buy a H100 cooler for 100 bucks . Whoever removes their IHS on the cpu is not worth the time or money for a few more MHZ

I am getting 4800 mhz stable on my 3570k with the H100 and 2133 Ram.
Id probably hit 4900 mhz but who is to say the chip has already hit its limited. Instead of possibly killing your CPU and not gaining crap for performance go mow a few lawns and upgrade your video cards

Probably a question that will be frowned upon, but for a 3570K processor and Z77 motherboard what would be the best no brainer overclock that does not require a bunch of tweaking and testing and monitoring core temps. Something you can just set and go and never think about it again?

Probably a question that will be frowned upon, but for a 3570K processor and Z77 motherboard what would be the best no brainer overclock that does not require a bunch of tweaking and testing and monitoring core temps. Something you can just set and go and never think about it again?

4.2ghz on auto voltage seems to work every time for me with acceptable voltage and temps, I've tried it on a few different boards with both the 3770k and 3570k.

4.2ghz on auto voltage seems to work every time for me with acceptable voltage and temps, I've tried it on a few different boards with both the 3770k and 3570k.

What Z77 board do you recommend for this intended use?

I'm starting to notice a lot lower temps under load than I'm running. I'm I going to fry my processor?

FYI, this is with a H100 cooler.

CoreTemp.png

CPU-Z.png

Last edited:
Damn, impressive OC and temps! What is your CPU cooling and was that Prime95 small FFT? Version 27.7?

wtfhax voltage............ jelly

I'm at 1.33-1.34v @ 4.5 but I think I can bring that voltage down some. But I know not much past 1.3 because at 1.275 prime95 crashed and I had about 8 WHEA warnings in about 10 minutes.

mrtheshaggy, I never actually noticed that until just now... maybe it's because they assume it's been covered to death on forums like this one. Weird though...

Well, after reading here about some folks needing to grow or otherwise enhance some man-bits and get de-lidded, I decided to just do it. I'm a woman, so have no issues with such things, just a 3770k that hit 97c at 4.6 1.3vcore with an H100 with 4 Corsair SP HP fans. Heck, I shed serious skin building my own 1/4" wirefence case a la Maximum PC circa 2005, and now run my rigs on a 6' Lowes shelving unit sans case. I can handle popping the lid off a chip for goodness sake. Only cut my finger once :cool: I had upgraded to an XSPC Raystorm RX360 D5 kit that is only cooling the CPU but still my temps, now at 4.7 1.33vcore, topping 79c~81c on Prime depending on room temp.

Glad to say both the chip and I survived. It's not hard, you just need patience, a sharp razorblade, and blood detoxed of all caffeine. I'm still waiting for my Liquid Pro, so used AS5 and yea it's still 'curing'. Temps on Prime now did spike once at 75c, but after 2 hrs has settled in at 69c~70c in a 23c room. I hope the Liquid Pro can do a few C better. So now I am de-cased and de-lidded. Idle temps run from 25c down to 20c and sometimes a core hits 17c (this morning, room temp 17c). I think that canning the case helps some, as the room itself is now the case as opposed to running all kinds of hot stuff in a little box. Once I get the TIM replaced, I'll try for 4.8 and see how that goes.

From there, I'll be watering my GPUs after I read up here on what I need to add them into the loop.

I can't believe that Intel put that junk on these chips. It was like dry Elmers glue.
dlid1_zps2fd0974d.jpg

Well, after reading here about some folks needing to grow or otherwise enhance some man-bits and get de-lidded, I decided to just do it. I'm a woman, so have no issues with such things, just a 3770k that hit 97c at 4.6 1.3vcore with an H100 with 4 Corsair SP HP fans. Heck, I shed serious skin building my own 1/4" wirefence case a la Maximum PC circa 2005, and now run my rigs on a 6' Lowes shelving unit sans case. I can handle popping the lid off a chip for goodness sake. Only cut my finger once :cool: I had upgraded to an XSPC Raystorm RX360 D5 kit that is only cooling the CPU but still my temps, now at 4.7 1.33vcore, topping 79c~81c on Prime depending on room temp.

Glad to say both the chip and I survived. It's not hard, you just need patience, a sharp razorblade, and blood detoxed of all caffeine. I'm still waiting for my Liquid Pro, so used AS5 and yea it's still 'curing'. Temps on Prime now did spike once at 75c, but after 2 hrs has settled in at 69c~70c in a 23c room. I hope the Liquid Pro can do a few C better. So now I am de-cased and de-lidded. Idle temps run from 25c down to 20c and sometimes a core hits 17c (this morning, room temp 17c). I think that canning the case helps some, as the room itself is now the case as opposed to running all kinds of hot stuff in a little box. Once I get the TIM replaced, I'll try for 4.8 and see how that goes.

From there, I'll be watering my GPUs after I read up here on what I need to add them into the loop.

I can't believe that Intel put that junk on these chips. It was like dry Elmers glue.
dlid1_zps2fd0974d.jpg

Share your results with us soon!

Oh- I had posted my final (if anything can truly be final) on a delidding thread a few posts down. But to boil it down here, the Liquid Ultra and Pro arrived, and I used Ultra. On removing the IHS to clean off the AS5 I discovered my mount was bad probably due to some left-over glue on the PCB that I had neglected to remove. It raised the IHS just enough for there to be a slight gap-the AS5 was a little thick on the die. So I cleaned the remainder of the glue off the PCB and mounted the IHS with Ultra, and used it as well between the IHS and the Raystorm. So at 4.7 with 1.33 vcore, the temps hit 61c using IBT Xtreme so I upped the OC to 4.8 at 1.35 vcore and the temp climbed to 66~67c in a 20~21c room. So my journey from 97c at 4.6 1.3v on an H100 with 4 corsair fans, to a 66c at 4.8 on a Raystorm I think was worth the expense. I only wish I knew what Intel was thinking, not mounting the IHS in contact with the die.

Well, I see there are people really into it, not afraid of touching hardware. That is good. You are good! Hello by the way.

As I saw here before, I see good geeks wanting to make things done. I´m here for help with not only "my" problem. I am really angry to see that there is no overclock option for poorman´s Intel PC. I´m occasional builder. Just done one G2020 PC, will make more Gs and i3s, and I´d like to see those overclocked. I ended up with BCLK on 106MHz with 2020, and this is not much. Is there any leak about hardware tuning options? Resistor values or other hack to set different multiplier? I doubt it´s all set in the core. This must be set on the external components, and I have a power&skills to change those. I would also try that even risking some damages. It is worth for so many computers. Can anybody help me or push me further or supply some info?
Thanks anyway.
Cheers.

Well, I see there are people really into it, not afraid of touching hardware. That is good. You are good! Hello by the way.

As I saw here before, I see good geeks wanting to make things done. I´m here for help with not only "my" problem. I am really angry to see that there is no overclock option for poorman´s Intel PC. I´m occasional builder. Just done one G2020 PC, will make more Gs and i3s, and I´d like to see those overclocked. I ended up with BCLK on 106MHz with 2020, and this is not much. Is there any leak about hardware tuning options? Resistor values or other hack to set different multiplier? I doubt it´s all set in the core. This must be set on the external components, and I have a power&skills to change those. I would also try that even risking some damages. It is worth for so many computers. Can anybody help me or push me further or supply some info?
Thanks anyway.
Cheers.

Put you "power&skills" away... Their useless with Intel's low end CPU's nowadays... If you wanna OC Intel CPU, you'll have to pay premium for it... End of story...
AMD is your only alternative, but there are some sacrifices there as well..:(

mzs_biteme: well, this leads to no change for me. Planning to put down and measure those resistors, replace with another ones with different values and looking what will happen. One after another one. I need to know exactly why should I not to do that or why it won´t work, or need positive help. Won´t buy this story endings until some CPU and mainboard burn in silicon hell :)
This is just steal and bullying from intel to sell first overclockable CPU for $265 in our country. Won´t buy this story.

I lived with AMD all my life from 1998 (knowing about computer components), and I see there is an option, but not for energy efficient cheap setup for all-around or even gaming PC for some.
While I still hesitate with office PCs between AMD and Intel, because AMDs feels really responsive and productive in windows for my taste, I can´t use it in gaming PC, when G2020 overpowers every AMD CPU for the same or even higher price easily. Piece of cake for Intel. And there is of course more overclocking needed... i3 is the same issue. Just looking for professional support.

mzs_biteme: well, this leads to no change for me. Planning to put down and measure those resistors, replace with another ones with different values and looking what will happen. One after another one. I need to know exactly why should I not to do that or why it won´t work, or need positive help. Won´t buy this story endings until some CPU and mainboard burn in silicon hell :)

Well this is exactly what you will see. Lots of smoke and a quick trip to silicon hell/heaven for your motherboard and CPU.... You seem not to get that Intel has money to make, and they have done everything they can to LOCK their low end CPU's to little or NO wiggle room... There is not FSB anymore. There is no motherboard controlled clock, and jumpers to adjust multiplier. It's all done through BIOS, and BIOS will only do what CPU allows it to, regarding BCLK and multi. It's all in the CPU... Again, case closed!

This is what they really need us to believe so badly. If Intel people are not disordered, they wont spend extra costs for those 50-500 people, who are able and wanting to do stuff like this. Every other "normal" entity will buy and go.
I´m not here to unlock anything on the CPU. I´m here to try to set another values. Once I measure those are not sense or other values resistors (typically 0.0xx? to 0.1R or insane high resistances never used for setting anything) I have no reason to believe, they spent money to imprint its specific settings into each core. That would be stupidly expensive to make production and final testing/setting that way.

With the money you're about to spend and throw away, you could have just bought an unlocked Intel.

This is not just one PC as I said previously. It will be definitely over 10, and those people have no reason to spend 260 bucks on Intel quad, when buying cheapest Z77 MB and Ati 7770. I might not get it, but I see no real info anywhere, and your fear and patience is not gonna help. I think that best way would be to buy two different clocked models, and measure difference.

K, have fun "replacing" SMT resistors on you motherboard and burning the shit out of it....

27624973.jpg

/thread

This is why I know you nearly even didn´t read my text or you don´t care the text. There will be no touch on the MB. Just CPU. And Yes, this is hardcore stuff most users will refuse to do. If you really want to know answer for that question, I´m going to find what are these three resistors on CPUs used for. Maybe we´ll see.
Of course they can just program CPU´s specs into the CPU without any extra hardware needed, but we just don´t know and that does not mean NO to my actions :)

This is why I know you nearly even didn´t read my text or you don´t care the text. There will be no touch on the MB. Just CPU. ......

Really??? Cus this is what you said couple posts up:

I´m not here to unlock anything on the CPU. I´m here to try to set another values. ..........

Gotto admire you tenacity though, even if it will end up in a spectacular FAIL... :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Well, this is still true. One statement does not negate second one. This is because in hardware terms SET DIFFERENT and UNLOCK are two way different things to do. Unlock mean change function. This is way more difficult to find on Intels if even possible (maybe changing multiplier as I would like to won´t be possible) and I´m not going to do that. It´s like trying to push killswitch while trying options how to NOT get killed. I´ve chosen different way.

No unlocking here guys! Too many options to try, too dangerous to do mistake. Well, maybe in era of AMD K7 it was easy to see the difference on the front side of the CPUs with different frequencies and settings. This is not that easy here, and I´m aiming just for those three resistors on the bottom side. While I slightly change value of those resistors (Have no clue about values yet - lets say from 3K3 to 3K7), it´s quite possible that there will be no harm and I can see differences in bios if any. If it is not that obvious, I´m sory, I´m looking for people more informed, and it is not me, nor you, that´s why I came here to ask, cause I saw some risky stuff here also. Why is this possible breaktrough so surpressed? :)

//P.S.: This is delicate and maybe too technical stuff for some, and english language is not my native. That way I could explain my situation badly, so you would not understand the very core, which can end up looking like straight and rude to even stupid acting in my first posts here. Ehm, wont sissiyng and bit*ing you more, just want to appologize for some mis-understanding. And yes, my nature is too stickler, perfectionist and sticky minded, maybe too disturbing and nit picking for some :)

Last edited:
Back