- Joined
- Oct 29, 2000
- Messages
- 42,404
The truth is, all I am seeing is a bunch of wordy responses in the hope that they can make plausible excuses for Intel and bury the message that AMD is seriously kicking some butt.But the reality is that 2.5 or so years ago, AMD was in serious financial and market share trouble and now they are not. The good thing is, the facts will speak for themselves and those who try to bury message or only embarrassing themselves.
As for clock speed, it is the only advantage they have now and that will not hold out much longer. Clock for clock, AMD is actually ahead now. Oh, and you mentioned AMD graphics at one point, I believe, and even in that realm, they are doing much, much better.Competition is good, unless you own Intel Stock. Now, if you owned AMD stock earlier, you are definitely making much more money now.
I'm not making excuses for Intel.
I strongly dislike Intel for their years of unfair and illegal business practices and suing anyone and everyone who dared to try to compete with them.
I just ordered a Threadripper 3960x. I fully acknowledge AMD is having a moment right now, and I am very excited about it as I have been looking forward to it for 15 years.
I'm just cautioning against irrational exuberance. The odds of them still being in the lead over Intel 3-5 years from now is from where I am sitting relatively small.