Intel Introduces New 9th Gen Desktop Processors

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

At their CES news conference, Intel announced several new additions to their 9th Generation Core lineup. Most of the new processors are IGP-less variants of Coffee Lake silicon that are otherwise identical or similar to existing SKUs. The Core i9-9900KF, for example, features the same 3.60Ghz base frequency as the 9900k, and hits the same 5.00Ghz turbo clocks. IGPs aside, the i7-9700KF and i7-9600KF are similar to the existing 9700K and 9600K. While Intel's presentation on the processors wasn't particularly detailed, disabling the IGP in existing silicon will presumably allow Intel to get better yields, which (theoretically) translates to more stock and better prices. The "F" variants could also have slightly more overclocking headroom than their counterparts, but that remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, Intel also launched some interesting lower-tier SKUs. Both the i5-9400 and i5-9400F feature 6 cores, 6 threads, a 2.9Ghz base frequency, and a max turbo speed of 4.10Ghz. The i3-9350KF features 4 cores and 4 threads that turbo up to 4.6ghz, along with an unlocked multiplier, which could make it a solid choice for budget PCs depending on how Intel prices it. Unfortunately, none of the new chips have recommended customer prices yet, and they aren't even correctly categorized in ARK at the time of this writing, which makes them difficult to find. The entirety of Intel's press release on the new desktop processors is quoted below, including a rather ambiguous release date,

If you missed it, check out the keynote's replay here.

Intel introduced new additions to the 9th Gen Intel Core processors that expand the family for a broader spectrum of desktop products. These processors deliver world-class performance to unlock incredible new capabilities and experiences for content creators and gamers at all levels. The first of the new 9th Gen Intel Core desktop processors is expected to be available starting this month.

2. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

More of the "same" I guess.

thebufenator likes this.
  3. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

Ok folks what gen is this really? We all know its not 9. Do they qualify for 5 yet?

Revdarian, Rauelius, AlphaFox and 2 others like this.
  4. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

Woohoo, defective chips!

mkk, gxp500 and Vader1975 like this.
  5. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

Remember when they made them to thin and they started to warp lol

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks n00b

Who cares. Shut up. Bring on the Zenness

7. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Oh, and you'll get to pay more.

Darth Kyrie and Vader1975 like this.
  8. Soulmetzger

Soulmetzger [H]ard|Gawd

I hate that I don't get excited anymore about new release info. Not that they give me a reason to get excited.

Skyblue, Tak Ne and HockeyJon like this.
  9. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

Do they work on Z170 mobo?

Tactlesss and Glock24 like this.
  10. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

It's not necessarly true that these "F" variants are defective chips. Intel is having trouble meeting demand, and reducing the die size of the i9-9900K by removing the iGPU to produce the i9-9900KF would allow them to get more die per wafer (and at a lower cost per die). The part has an obvious market: how many people buy an i9-9900K and don't use a discrete GPU with it?

So there's plenty of reason to think the i9-9900KF (and the other parts) could be new smaller die.
    They might not be, or some might be and some might not -- that's the way to maximize the yield, but Intel's major customers would probably demand two SKUs (one for removed-iGPU die, another for disabled-iGPU die). Retail, though, might not be given that info.

If Intel hasn't said whether these die have the iGPU removed or just deleted, we'll have to wait for people to de-lid these products to find out.

This is a weird thing about Intel: in some ways, they don't need new products, they are selling all they can make. This -KF series of chips may be so they can make more without having to build new fabs.

Doc Doc and Armenius like this.
  11. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Probably not. Not because they couldn't. but because Intel and it's motherboard vendors don't want that level of confusion.

12. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

The fundamental CPU architecture of Intel's x86 chips, other than the abortive Pentium 4, is still that of the Pentium Pro.
    Adding an on-chip memory controller was the only major change to the core instruction execution architecture, everything else has been making stuff bigger, deeper, and/or wider (or in the case of branch predictors, a little smarter) and adding special purpose accelerators.

The Pentium Pro, which was from some of the same minds that built the i960MX, was brilliant. It doesn't surprise me that it essentially lives on, almost 25 years later.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Darth Kyrie, DPI, AlphaFox and 6 others like this.
  13. Disco_Stu_04

Disco_Stu_04 Limp Gawd

Wasn't there some potential for apps to take advantage of unused igpu processing power?

14. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

No.

Armenius, Peter2k and Red Falcon like this.
  15. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder how much better the thermals will be without an iGPU.

Armenius likes this.
  16. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

There was supposed to be, as this was the case with NVIDIA back in 2007 when they said general-purpose application loads like AV scanners could be offloaded to the GPU - that didn't happen.
    There are scientific applications that can utilize Intel iGPUs, depending on the generation, but they aren't much better, and in some cases slower, than their respective CPU cores.

17. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

That's a future possibility, if the versions with IGP are to be as good as removed from the market.
    As for now I think there's a heap of chips binned as "defective IGP" just waiting to be released for sale.

Peter2k likes this.
  18. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

Read any of the reveiws posted for the CPUs with IGP. None of the one's I've seen make use of the IGP so thermals will be as is.
    The real question is how much worse the thermals is if you actually do use the IGP...?

19. DTN107

DTN107 [H]ardness Supreme

I expect the thermals to be no different than a regular cpu that is using a dedicated gpu.

Intel isn't exactly going out of their way to make a bunch of special non-iGPU chips. Most likely they are sitting on a huge stock pile of rejected chips from their poor yields in which they can bin out the ones that works just fine with the iGPU disabled. I wouldn't be surprise if there is still some power going to the disabled iGPU in which Intel didn't really cut the traces or such but just insert a simple code to disable the iGPU.

Revdarian, Chimpee and Peter2k like this.
  20. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

I expect the thermals will be the same if they're just disabling the iGPU, but will be slightly worse if they remove it entirely in order to get more die per wafer.
    The extra area of the unused iGPU should be be helping spread the heat and helping to transfer it to the case, too.

People should not presume the i9-9900KF is going to be just a fused-off i9-9900K. It could be, certainly.
    But it's also possible that Intel looked at the attach rates of discrete GPUs and i9-series chips, and decided they were wasting a lot of fab capacity on a crap-ton of iGPUs that were neither valued nor used.

Look at this image: 1125px-coffee_lake_die_%28octa_core%29_%28annotated%29.png
    That's an annotated die-photo of the i9-9900K, and that light blue block is the iGPU.
    It would be easy-peasy to rework the design to remove it. As Andy Grove once said (when AMD introduced a 486 without an FPU), it's "a chip you could make with a text editor." And would yield a lot more good die per wafer.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  21. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

^ I demand 4 more cores slopped into that vacated IGP space.

And they better do it quick because I'm going to pull the trigger soon on a Ryzen with 12 or 16. You see, a web browser, Spotify and calc.exe all running at the same time are very demanding.

DocNo, Darth Kyrie, Glock24 and 3 others like this.
  22. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Have Intel finally created a new architecture? Nope, misleading title indeed...

The only thing new here, is the addition of a blown fuse to shut off the GPU. Real innovation there.

HockeyJon likes this.
  23. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

From Anandtech

24. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

No

In theory you could let the iGPU render some very basic stuff to help out the main GPU, like a sorta multi GPU setup

But to date I only know of one game that can even make use that ability of Vulkan, and I've only seen between Nvidia and AMD, and that was 2 years ago

However I guess you could make a case for quick sync, or for HTPC's
    The decoding of MP4's

But that would be helpful for Pentium class CPU's not really Core

25. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

As Intel is having difficulties to meet demand, it's a best guess to just use bad chips

kirbyrj and mord like this.
  26. mord

mord Limp Gawd

Probably has a new socket lol.

27. mord

mord Limp Gawd

No, no, no! Why stop at a hardware disable of the IGP? They can solder on an extra dummy pin and sell a new socket too!

Revdarian, Darth Kyrie and kirbyrj like this.
  28. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Hopefully they don't price it as being a "feature" and upcharging us (the exclusive "us"...no chance I'm buying one of these).

29. Pitbull#2

Pitbull#2 Limp Gawd

Get yours NOW for the low price of right in your ass! lol

Darth Kyrie and DPI like this.
  30. psy81

psy81 Limp Gawd

LOL

Nightfire likes this.
  31. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

Getting real creative finding a way to give the integrators a new SKU for the next season of PC models...

32. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

"Intel Introduces New 9th Gen Desktop Processors." Nothing misleading about that since we're still in the 9th gen of Intel Core processors.

I guess this one was misleading, as well:
    New 8th Gen Chips from Intel

33. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

It kind of is. It's all just rehashed 6th gen chips.

AlphaFox likes this.
  34. RiPpLeeFFecT

RiPpLeeFFecT Limp Gawd

Yes.

Check out LucidLogix Virtu MVP. Used it until it was patched out of Windows.
    It actually worked very well when I used it on supported games.

Additionally you can still use the iGPU for encoding.

I'm not sure I'd get one w/o an iGPU. I'd really have to think about it.

DocNo likes this.
  35. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

I think it should be called 7th gen refresh refresh. Or better yet, Skylake refresh refresh refresh.

36. AlphaFox

AlphaFox Limp Gawd

there goes quick sync

37. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

Let's put IGP silicone on all our CPU's then disable some of them to increase yields...go Intel! So much using that silicone space for something more beneficial to mid range/high end desktop users like eDRAM.

38. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

Depends on your definition of "good die".
    With the IGP you get a relatively large portion of dies with eight working cores and damaged IGP.
    Without the IGP more dies will turn out with a damaged core.

39. Rauelius

Rauelius 2[H]4U

1st Gen - Nehalem/LynnField/Westmere/Clarksdale
    2nd Gen - SandyBridge/IvyBridge
    3rd Gen - Haswell/Devils Canyon/Broadwell
    4th Gen - Skylake/KabyLake/Coffeelake/Coffeelake-refresh

well, unless it's yet another offshoot of Skylake, I say a definite maybe?

AlphaFox, Crystoff and kirbyrj like this.
  40. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

quicksync was nice if you had no desire to control the actual conversion settings for handbrake or similar.