Intel Core i5-750 Overclocking Preview @ [H]

P.S. I'll gladly donate a 75GB 75GXP Deathstar to anyone that wants to destroy it in a creative way! :p Last HD that ever died on me personally, except for my old S2 TiVo's drive I guess.

At the [H] we know exactly how to deal with failed hard drives. :)

I've seen a lot of evidence lately that some games are being CPU limited by the "old" quads at "only" 4.0Ghz. Frankly, I don't have enough time or money to be able to figure out exactly if an i7 is faster in some games with multi-GPU setups than a similar quad because of the integrated memory controller, faster clock per clock CPU power, more cores, or because it has more penguins. With the integrated PCI-E controller on the i5 I know things are going to get even more complicated.

Games today aren't even taxing current quads...It's sad some people still get excited about the damned things (CPU's).

CPU's are old. I don't give a fuk because CPU's don't matter.

I'm looking forward to some comparison between Core i7 and Core i5 too.

If those triple channel memory doesn't make that much of a difference, i5 would probably be my next upgrade (I'm not exactly rolling around in cash here :p)

Thnx again Kyle. The i5 looks pretty much as expected, an i7 with fewer, err things...I do like the mobo though - with or without the 'dummy' buttons...:D:D:D

Games today aren't even taxing current quads...It's sad some people still get excited about the damned things (CPU's).

Too true - I'm over it all - i7 is a year old and we get i5???...am sorta interested in NBT in GPU's but that's it...

Debating between i7-920 and some 8x0 chip. Waiting for the reviews to hit.

Would like to have 12GB of RAM even if its unnecessary.

I wonder if the 6-slot Gigabyte boards will actually be able to accept six DIMMs (I read somewhere else the 4-slot channel can only take single sided sticks (e.g. 1GB sticks).

Over 4.2Ghz and even higher would certainly be nice. The voltages seemed a little high in the last couple shots. Hopefully with effective cooling, i.e. watercooling and enough of air flow for the components, we will see good overclocks.

Where can you get an i7 920 for $220? I know Microcenter had 'em for $200 or w/e for a while but a good chunk of us don't live anywhere near a MC. The 750 is the only quad i5 that makes any sense for the average enthusiast, because if you opt for anything higher you're paying the same as you would for a retail priced i7 920 and at that point paying $50 more for an X58 mobo doesn't amount to much. P55 mobos are probably gonna carry a premium for the first 3-6 months anyway so I'll be surprised if they're much more than $30 cheaper than the cheapest X58 boards out now.

The microcenter deal is smoking and is the reason I jumped for the i7. What you say about the new motherboards is definitely true, they'll be cheaper probably in the long run but certainly not for a few months at least. I picked up the gigabyte for $130 after rebate and cashback. I don't see any reason to pay more money (or even just a little bit less) to go i5 at this point in time. Either way though, you've got more than enough cpu to last you a while, especially considering the overclocking prowess of both chips.

I think is was interesting to see how the core i5 overclocks even though you did not have proper mounting brackets. I hope you will retest it once you do get the proper brackets In addition to testing with a closed loop liquid cooling solution. See how far you cna voerclock it themn. And test the Core i5 vs the corei7. The corei7 has a tripple channel memory controller which makes the motherboards more expensive. How much of a price difference is a core i5 vs core i7 system? This intriguing article just fuels more questions.:D

I just want to say that I do like the video reviews...

Keep up the fine job!

can't wait to see the review kyle, i'm holding out for a US based review i.e one done either by [H] or thetechreport or anandtech or something else as I wan't results I can trust so I'm not eating up all the leaked chinese benches.

We will have reviews posted of the P7P55D Deluxe and P55-GD80 on launch day.

Where can you get an i7 920 for $220?

Yeah, $250 to $280 is now the going price from etailers I trust that I see.

This is true and this is not to some extent. It is still a balancing act, but be sure that gaming is overall GPU-limited except at the high end in most cases.

I'm looking forward to some comparison between Core i7 and Core i5 too.

If those triple channel memory doesn't make that much of a difference, i5 would probably be my next upgrade (I'm not exactly rolling around in cash here :p)

Later today. Triple channel will make a difference, but likely only in synthetic benchmarks.

Too true - I'm over it all - i7 is a year old and we get i5???...am sorta interested in NBT in GPU's but that's it...

Yep, that is what you get. Talk to AMD about providing NO COMPETITION in the market place.

Would like to have 12GB of RAM even if its unnecessary.

I wonder if the 6-slot Gigabyte boards will actually be able to accept six DIMMs (I read somewhere else the 4-slot channel can only take single sided sticks (e.g. 1GB sticks).

Yep, 12GB and you are golden for a long time.

I just got the Gigabyte board in and will be testing this specifically.

I think is was interesting to see how the core i5 overclocks even though you did not have proper mounting brackets. I hope you will retest it once you do get the proper brackets In addition to testing with a closed loop liquid cooling solution.

Got air cooling brackets in for the TRUE yesterday.

Where exactly is the new i5 processor line supposed to fit into the overall strategy for intel? It sounds like the 'older' i7 architecture is still going to be more powerful moving forward - and I assume intel will be making processors for the i7 sockets as well as for the new i5 (LGA 1156) sockets.... so what's the purpose of the new i5 line?

For someone like me (someone who hasn't looked at purchasing a new mobo/memory/cpu since I got my core 2 duo), I'm not entirely sure what to invest in this September.

Are both the i7 and i5 going to be the way of the future, with the i7 simply being the 'super workstation' variant and the i5 being the 'what most people have?'

Are both the i7 and i5 going to be the way of the future, with the i7 simply being the 'super workstation' variant and the i5 being the 'what most people have?'

That is the impression that I have been getting. i5 is for mainstream and i7 is enthusiast. Whether or not it will play out like that? Who knows. :confused:

So LGA1366 will be the high end CPUs and LGA1156 the 'midrange" or even 'Celeron' grade?? Not sure I'm happy with this Intel tactic and wondering how MB manufacturers are gonna take it. Sounds like the Slot-Socket-Slotket days of the 300A's

Ok - I get the theoretical distinction:

i5 = mainstream user, the majority of people will buy this because of the price - performance ratio
i7 = enthusiast user, a minority of people will buy this because they don't care about the price

The question then becomes - in terms of these chips, what is the distinction between mainstream and enthusiast. Most of us have these rigs to game on - so I suppose we'll have to wait for the benchmark comparisons of the i5 and i7 to see what's worth it for us.

How much cheaper are we thinking an i5 setup is going to be? i.e.

Cost for i5 cpu/mobo v. cost for i7 cpu/mobo

Is there going to be any point where the i5 outperforms the i7 for the same price?

Ok - I get the theoretical distinction:

i5 = mainstream user, the majority of people will buy this because of the price - performance ratio
i7 = enthusiast user, a minority of people will buy this because they don't care about the price

The question then becomes - in terms of these chips, what is the distinction between mainstream and enthusiast. Most of us have these rigs to game on - so I suppose we'll have to wait for the benchmark comparisons of the i5 and i7 to see what's worth it for us.

How much cheaper are we thinking an i5 setup is going to be? i.e.

Cost for i5 cpu/mobo v. cost for i7 cpu/mobo

Is there going to be any point where the i5 outperforms the i7 for the same price?

You'll just have to wait for answers to most of these questions, especially those concerning performance comparisons of the two. As for the motherboards, it looks like the highend P55 chipset based boards will cost right around $200 just as the lower end Core i7 motherboards do. The CPU pricing hasn't been announced yet nor has the product line. So we don't really know what all the available frequencies and price points will be. It was rumored awhile back that there will be some performance overlap going from the highest end Core i5's to the lowest end Core i7, which is the Core i7 920.

Really the part that will probably get you on the cost of the Core i7 based machines is the cost of the triple channel memory kits compared to dual channel kits. Not that triple channel kits are all that unreasonable, but there is a cost difference. When you step up to a higher end X58 motherboard like the ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer or the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified, the cost difference will certainly be more pronounced. At that point you are probably looking at a $200-$250 difference easily. That's just on the motherboards. That is if the higher end Core i5 boards end up being priced at around $200 which is what the rumors indicate.

It seems from the previews I've been seeing that the i5-750 is a better overclocker than the i7-920. The $40,000 question is: is an overclocked i5-750 faster than an overclocked i7-920?

In any case it's very exciting. I haven't built a rig since the A64 Venice days. My last video card purchase was a GFX 5600U. It's about time.

I'm building a rig next year...and i5/i7 will almost be completely based upon the motherboard cost for my decision. Actually, the mobo cost of i7 is almost the complete reason why I haven't upgraded already.

Some people do things on their PCs other than just gaming.

Where does the i3 fit in, or is that just the Celeron?
The i3 series will be 32nm and will be the bottom-end Nehalem chips. Dual-cores with HT. Some and possibly all will have integrated GPUs. They may also lack Turbo mode.

Pics of the unmounted heatsink with unmounted fan or GTFO ;)

Where exactly is the new i5 processor line supposed to fit into the overall strategy for intel? It sounds like the 'older' i7 architecture is still going to be more powerful moving forward - and I assume intel will be making processors for the i7 sockets as well as for the new i5 (LGA 1156) sockets.... so what's the purpose of the new i5 line?

For someone like me (someone who hasn't looked at purchasing a new mobo/memory/cpu since I got my core 2 duo), I'm not entirely sure what to invest in this September.

Maybe more motherboards will only be capable of running dual core i3 and i5 in order to keep them cheap? Less money is needed for features, power, and cooling for those types of boards. Sort of like HP and Dell crippleboards lol But yea the high end 1156 and 1366 will probably cost pretty much the same thing.

I think the 1156 boards will be cheaper over all.

2 channel RAM
PCIe controller on CPU

So I'm looking at a p55 board with a 1156 i7 chip for my upgrade. This will probably be next year. My q6600 is still rocking everything I throw at it. The only real advantage I'd have this moment in upgrading is getting a few more ppd folding.

Yeah, once P55 mobo prices settle and the i5 line is fleshed out you'll definitely see a price gap between both platforms (due to mobo cost and using 2 RAM DIMMS vs 3 for X58)... That's the entire point of i5 after all. At the same time there'll be some performance/cost overlap tho, something that might be a moot point for the budget OC'er (who's not gonna buy a highly clocked quad i5 when he can get an i7 and OC it for the same $ or less). The newest high end stuff is still gonna be exclusive to LGA 1336 tho, like the debut of 6-core Gulftown parts next year, I believe Intel has officially confirmed that much at 'least.

'Course this could all change as it often does when Intel/AMD start trying to juggle multiple sockets/slots and artificially divide the market...

If I could buy a X58 motherboard, and be assured that it would support 6 core Gulftown when the time comes, I'd do it today

how [h]ard is not even being able to cobble together a mounting bracket :D

LGA1156's mounting holes are just a little further apart than LGA775's. Too far though to make most mounting hardware work. Especially anything with a back plate. LGA1366 mounting holes are way farther apart than LGA1156's or LGA775's and as a result using anything that normally works on LGA366 is a no go for those sockets.

Hard no, time consuming yes. What do you want pictures of a custom mounting bracket, which we have now, or articles published.

Armchair fabrication is easy.

I hadn't heard anything official stating this would be the case for sure, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary either.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1438188

capturetzw-1.jpg

But I live close enough to MC to still pick up an i7 920 for $200 and tax. I didn't much care about hyperthreading or the 3rd channel of ram for my needs. But 6 physical cores is quite attractive. I just didn't want to spend $200+ on a motherboard and then find I need a new revision to support the 6 core chips.

You are stupid to not pick up on that 920 deal if you want to upgrade now and upgrade to 6 core later. Or, just wait till 6 is out.

I agree, I think worst case scenario the Gulftown parts just don't OC well on current X58 mobos due to unforeseen circumstances, but they'll definitely work on 'em. I mean, i5 mobos are gonna debut at higher-than-normal prices... So you'd save maybe $30-50 if you go with an i5 750 when it launches, and you give up a future upgrade path, a better mobo, and HT in return; pretty lopsided if you ask me.

Back