• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Core i5-750 Overclocking Preview @ [H]

If you wait 3 months and P55 mobo prices drop to reasonable levels (say, $120-130) you're still not gonna save yourself much compared to getting a $200 i7 920 right now. What's a decent X58 mobo gonna run you right now, $180-200? And 6GB of DDR3 instead of 4GB, maybe a difference of $20? You'll save $50-80 at best and like I said before, you're giving up HT, an extra 2GB of RAM, and a potentially more full-featured mobo w/better upgrade options down the road. I guess only you can answer whether it's worth it, it seems totally pointless to me. If I were building a new system right now I'd probably have a friend or family member that lives anywhere near a MC ship me a 920 in order to take advantage of such a great price, heh.
 
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1438188

capturetzw-1.jpg



i'm drooling over the mobile options...dang that's awesome. think of all the cool and powerful ulv's there is going to be.
 
Heh, don't forget that i9 chips are coming out soon as well, most likely a bit later then when the i5's are released, which is supposed to be direct to the "budget-midrange" bringing the i9 the extreme high-end range of cpus when released.
 
Heh, don't forget that i9 chips are coming out soon as well, most likely a bit later then when the i5's are released, which is supposed to be direct to the "budget-midrange" bringing the i9 the extreme high-end range of cpus when released.

That's the CPU I'm excited about.
 
This is going to be the same old story all over again....

NF4-4x 939 Gigabyte K8NF-9: Can run X2's, but not clock 1mhz over 200FSB.
775 965P-DS3: Cannot run 45nm at all, extremely unstable with Q6600.
Current X58: Might support i9 working, but how can they clock?
 
This is going to be the same old story all over again....

NF4-4x 939 Gigabyte K8NF-9: Can run X2's, but not clock 1mhz over 200FSB.
775 965P-DS3: Cannot run 45nm at all, extremely unstable with Q6600.
Current X58: Might support i9 working, but how can they clock?

We will have no way of knowing until we try one.
 
There was a time I didn't think I'd need anything more than 4MB of ram. ;)
Me too, but then I started actually doing stuff on my PCs ;). Ten years ago, I wouldn't have believed that it were even possible to do some of the things I do now.
Current X58: Might support i9 working, but how can they clock?
X58 will be the only LGA1366 chipset until Sandy Bridge comes out, so it won't have any issues overclocking a 6-core CPU. And current X58 boards for the most part have ridiculously overkill voltage regulation hardware, so that shouldn't be an issue either.
 
Me too, but then I started actually doing stuff on my PCs ;). Ten years ago, I wouldn't have believed that it were even possible to do some of the things I do now.

X58 will be the only LGA1366 chipset until Sandy Bridge comes out, so it won't have any issues overclocking a 6-core CPU. And current X58 boards for the most part have ridiculously overkill voltage regulation hardware, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

You have a good point. Many of the X58 chipset based boards are built this way.
 
This is going to be the same old story all over again....

NF4-4x 939 Gigabyte K8NF-9: Can run X2's, but not clock 1mhz over 200FSB.
775 965P-DS3: Cannot run 45nm at all, extremely unstable with Q6600.
Current X58: Might support i9 working, but how can they clock?

Man your experience with the DS3 is different from many others: I've seen countless number of PCs with the 965P-DS3 with the Q6600 that are 100% stable. In addition, the later revision of the 965P-DS3 such as the 3.3 and 2.0 do support 45nm CPUs.
 
hey kyle, what's up? i thought you said overclocking was irrelevant?? or is that just for the phenom II. f'n hypocrite lol
 
Trolling is usually a bit more effective if you're a little less vague and nonsensical.
 
Trolling is usually a bit more effective if you're a little less vague and nonsensical.

If I was directing it at you, it probably would be 'a little less vague and nonsensical' now wouldn't it. I've no doubt Kyle knows what i'm talking about, so nice attempt at being witty.
 
Sorry, you're right, I'm sure he keeps track of every random joe that calls him out on the boards over the dozens of articles he publishes every year, 'specially those that accuse him of a bias, surely his blood is boiling this very moment as he mulls over his response... And you posted this publicly not because you were trolling but becauuuse... I give, my simulation of a logic void can only go so far.
 
Man your experience with the DS3 is different from many others: I've seen countless number of PCs with the 965P-DS3 with the Q6600 that are 100% stable. In addition, the later revision of the 965P-DS3 such as the 3.3 and 2.0 do support 45nm CPUs.

I have a 1.0 revision....I agree that the later revisions can support 45 nm. Mine barely supports 4GB of ram stably at 400mhz due to crappy NB cooling. Those of us early adopters (K8NF-9 was the first nf4 board out) we usually get screwed when new processor revisions come out. :mad:

I have a R2E, so hopefully the circuitry will support clocking 6 cores.
 
I have a 1.0 revision....I agree that the later revisions can support 45 nm. Mine barely supports 4GB of ram stably at 400mhz due to crappy NB cooling. Those of us early adopters (K8NF-9 was the first nf4 board out) we usually get screwed when new processor revisions come out. :mad:

Meh it happens. That's the way it is.

Oh and my revision 1.0 GA-965P-DS3 is very stable with 6GB of RAM at 400Mhz.
 
Meh it happens. That's the way it is.

Oh and my revision 1.0 GA-965P-DS3 is very stable with 6GB of RAM at 400Mhz.


I have to back off to 5-5-5-15 (Ocz Plat. 4-4-4 ram) and I get lockups in Orthos (old, but that was what we were testing with in 2007). :D
 
Meh it happens. That's the way it is.

Oh and my revision 1.0 GA-965P-DS3 is very stable with 6GB of RAM at 400Mhz.

But this was the whole point of the discussion, specifically whether or not an x58 board you buy today will be able to accept a new processor that comes out a year from now. I think there's a greater chance of this then there are on some of the other chipsets because none of these are really budget boards to begin with, but its possible they won't.

Personally I've given up on buying things with an upgrade path in mind. In 2 years we should have usb 3.0 and pci-e 3.0 anyway. Considering how dominant the thing is now I think my i7 920 will last until then.
 
Well, in most of the other scenarios there were already other chipsets set to replace the existing ones by the time those processor parts were due to come out, that isn't the case with the X58 AFAIK. As you said, the X58 has been a high-end/enthusiast chipset thru and thru from the start, so you gotta think they shouldn't need to start issuing revisions of all the mobos for Gulftown ('specially since it's not too far away).
 
HELP! Some one on this thread has to have their old i7 stock CPU cooler around. I modded the fan of my stock CPU cooler into a great memory cooler. I love it so much I started sleeving it today. I forgot to write down the wire order before I slipped the 4 pins out. I can't run my current settings without this fan on my memory. Please tell me the order and from which side you are looking, or post a pic if it's easier.
 
HELP! Some one on this thread has to have their old i7 stock CPU cooler around. I modded the fan of my stock CPU cooler into a great memory cooler. I love it so much I started sleeving it today. I forgot to write down the wire order before I slipped the 4 pins out. I can't run my current settings without this fan on my memory. Please tell me the order and from which side you are looking, or post a pic if it's easier.

Okay, if the 2 bracket type things that line it up are pointing up, it goes:

Blue, green, yellow black, from left to right.
 
I can't imagine how beastly a 6 core processor will be with HT for rendering / cpu intensive applications. Almost the same as going from a fast dual-core to a quad, probably not worth it for gaming.
 
I can't imagine how beastly a 6 core processor will be with HT for rendering / cpu intensive applications. Almost the same as going from a fast dual-core to a quad, probably not worth it for gaming.

Depends if you use SLI or Tri-SLI.
 
Depends if you use SLI or Tri-SLI.

I don't think there will be a change in SLI/3-Way SLI scaling going from Core i7's that are overclocked to 3.6GHz+ to Gulftown unless Gulftown has some significant changes to it beyond a die shrink and two extra cores. At least I don't believe Gulftown will change anything in regard to SLI/3-Way SLI scaling with today's GPUs. When it comes to the next generation of high end GPUs, I suppose it's possible.
 
I don't think there will be a change in SLI/3-Way SLI scaling going from Core i7's that are overclocked to 3.6GHz+ to Gulftown unless Gulftown has some significant changes to it beyond a die shrink and two extra cores. At least I don't believe Gulftown will change anything in regard to SLI/3-Way SLI scaling with today's GPUs. When it comes to the next generation of high end GPUs, I suppose it's possible.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I was stating that there is a difference between quads and dual cores for gaming. I doubt similar clocked gulftown to i7s will have much (if any) difference outside of CPU bound games. That is to say, Flight Sim might have a difference, but other than that.
 
I just picked up an i5/750 + MSI p55-gd65. The "OC Genie" has set me at 3.36Ghz, it's stable with a low-end add-on cooler (freezer 7). I think there's plenty more headroom here.. coupled with a gtx260 I'm getting "Very high" on crysis at 1680x1050, so I'm v. happy !
 
Why would anybody get a 975 when the 920 overclocks to 4.01 GHz on air? The max overclock on the 975 is only .20 GHz higher.
 
Why would anybody get a 975 when the 920 overclocks to 4.01 GHz on air? The max overclock on the 975 is only .20 GHz higher.
Obviously the people who buy EE CPUs aren't too concerned with pricing. And a lot of them probably aren't overclockers either, or they're extreme overclockers for whom the unlocked multiplier can be very useful.
 



Haven't tried to go any higher yet, but this was very easy with very reasonable voltages. Temps idle ~38 full load after 45 minutes ~69. Ambient room temps ~31

Borderlands runs butter smooth @ 1680 max quality now.
 
Last edited:
My i5 750 is up to 3.3 already on stock voltage. I haven't tried to go further. The corsair cooler is keeping this thing very cool so far. My highest individual core temp has been 48c. They had better keep making these H50 or something like it. I will never buy anything else if they do.

Now I need some new games. TF2 is awesome but this PC laughs at it.
 
Now I need some new games. TF2 is awesome but this PC laughs at it.

my pc now laughs at every game I play. I laugh along with it.

I also have no strong desire to find a game that requires me to upgrade my vid card soon.
 
Back
Top