Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-8600K vs 7600K at 5GHz Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 5, 2017.

1. juanrga

juanrga Pro-Intel / Anti-AMD Just FYI

On latency-sensisitve workloads RyZen has about Sandy Bridge level IPC, and that is the reason why RyZen 3 play games like SB i5.

[​IMG]

At same clocks, per core performance has increased by 22% on average since Sandy Bridge

[​IMG]

with up to 69.3% faster performance (at same clocks) in some special case

[​IMG]

But those numbers are for same clocks. The i7-2600k has maximum clock of 3.8GHz. The new i7-8700k has maximum clock of 4.7GHz. The increase is of 24%. Combining IPC and max frequency, single thread performance has increased by about 50% on average since Sandy Bridge i7.

That 50% increase, per core, is the reason why, despite Zen, AMD continues very far from Intel and 6C CoffeeLake is able to match 8C Zen in multithread performance. FYI, 6C are able to match the performance of 8C because each CoffeeLake core is about 33% faster than one Zen core. That is the reason why you need two extra cores on the Zen side. Funny that you claim "It's not like Intel has moved far beyond Sandy either, at least on a per-core basis anyway"... :whistle:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    d50man likes this.
  2. whisper

whisper Limp Gawd

Yeah, to be honest if I didn't need a whole new build I'd probably just slap a 1080 and some new RAM into my current rig and call it good. But it's gotten to the point where I need two desktops at home. I guess there's something to be said for my 2500k system still being good enough for most daily tasks, 6 years after the fact:).

I'm hoping to do some shopping this weekend. I may just go with my original plan of a 7700k system, maybe something along the lines of this:

i7-7700k
    corsair H105 240mm cooler
    msi z270 gaming pro carbon
    evga gtx 1070 FTW
    g.skill Ripjaws V (2x8gb) ddr4 3000
    samsung 960 evo m.2 500 gb NVMe
    seagate barracuda pro 2 tb
    corsair obsidian 750D airflow (already have this)

I think something like that will pretty much meet all my needs for the foreseeable future. The only reason I pick 1070 over 1080 is b/c I don't plan to do anything in 4k (1080p and some 1440p games).

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

It mostly is, in terms of both IPC and clockspeed. Which means that in thread-limited tasks, which includes many (but not all!) games, Ryzen is at a disadvantage.

Coffee Lake exacerbates this by increasing core counts and clockspeeds, so the top Coffee Lake is now as fast or faster than the top Ryzen in most workloads, while being very close in cost.

d50man likes this.
  4. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Remember, though, that at 1440p you'll be pushing more pixels to the screen and the overall increased memory bandwidth of the 1080 might be significant.

5. whisper

whisper Limp Gawd

For sure, the 1080 offers more hands down. But it also depends on what you consider acceptable. I'm looking to hit a reliable 60-65 fps in 1440p on max (or near max) settings. The 1070 should deliver that or better in most games and the price point is good. Budget for this system is right about $2k.

6. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

At 4K 60Hz and even at 1440p 60Hz if I lower resolution out of need Coffee Lake would offer me essentially no advantage over Ryzen for gaming while the later offers me much more for other tasks and that is Intel's problem. That's not the only one their motherboard platform is notoriously dead ended and they do stupid things such this as well.

So you mean to tell me Skylake chips will work with C326 chipset, but Xeon chips won't work with Z170 chipset now wtf!? What gives why is this that seems wrong try to explain it to me? Different pins ala Coffee Lake naw think again cause it's backwards compatible so what's up Intel!? What kind of bs are you trying to pull with consumers?
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance GamingOC/index.us.asp?cat=CPU

7. IdiotInCharge

So if your video card is too slow, Coffee Lake isn't worth it? Neither is it worth upgrading from Sandy Bridge or newer, really, if it's that slow. Read up the 2600k article here at the [H].

At what level? At the consumer level, per the topic, Intel is going to offer you more. An 8700k is as fast as a Ryzen 7 with two more cores for highly threaded workloads and faster for gaming, you know, if your video card isn't slow.

They both do this as needs arise, and this complaint is a real red herring: most people that build custom systems (which is a tiny fraction of Intel's mainstream CPU customers) will keep their CPU and board for years. By the time most upgrade, memory will likely have changed and possibly PCIe standards such that a platform upgrade would be necessary.

You're not even talking about HEDT here- you're talking about workstation parts, which are way beyond the purview of this review thread.

8. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

No coffee lake isn't worth it because at 4K 60Hz it shows virtually no difference so it's a waste of money for me even at 1440p the difference is too marginal for me to care. For my situation with gaming in mind it's not worth it. I can't exactly say Ryzen is any better for gaming, but I consider it the better all around CPU option right now for me. I think at 1440p/4K Ryzen is just overall a more compelling CPU across the board taking everything into account.

9. IdiotInCharge

Thanks for clarifying!

Speedeu4ia and whisper like this.
  10. anubis44

anubis44 I just make shit up

Good luck finding a 'cheapo' motherboard for Coffee Lake. Might be into next year before they're available.

knowom and Speedeu4ia like this.
  11. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan Gawd

The 8700k is a nice looking chip. If I were building today, I'd have to seriously weigh it against an 8 core Ryzen build for my use case.

I just can't help but thinking this would have been a lot better from Intel a couple years ago. If Skylake or Kaby Lake had been the 6 core release, it would have been a lot better.

Speedeu4ia and Skyblue like this.
  12. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia Limp Gawd

I agree in place of kabby with lower clocks then they could have came with coffee and current clocks. People would be happier

DuronBurgerMan and knowom like this.
  13. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

Probably in part why Asus let the cat out of the bag on CL. I can only presume they'd have just as well assumed selling more z270 boards than investing more R&D costs into unnecessarily at this stage anyway making new z370 boards.

You mean it would have been better if Kaby Lake hadn't been more than taking away cheap BCLK overclocking and give consumers a real upgrade path. Intel is well documented for being anti competitive and milking consumers at every twist and turn they aren't much better than Rambus on the ***hole scale at 10 versus 11.
    People would have likely been happier if they'd just kept Skylake and cut the costs on the i5's ands i7's, if they'd had consumer variants that had eDRAM in place of worthless iGPU's that they disable, if their heat spreader's weren't a laughing joke, if the bundled coolers weren't anemic and smaller than typical C2Q heat sinks from like 2008, if they hadn't put Nvidia out of the chip set business, if they weren't anti competitive towards AMD & Nvidia, if they weren't in bed RAMBUS, if they didn't try to sell overclocking as a feature and so much more.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Gideon likes this.
  14. IdiotInCharge

And with all of your bias and hate, they're still profitable with the fastest product on the market.

15. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

I've had nothing, but Intel CPU's ever since AMD64 so much bias towards Intel and hatred 4 AMD. :cry:;)

16. Cali3350

Cali3350 [H]ardness Supreme

Seeing Kyle get 5Ghz on 1.20 volts makes me SUPER jelly.

17. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

The hatred definitely goes both ways

18. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I like coffee lake. Its great if your not coming from 1 gen before it.

Its a gaming monster and the 2 extra cores is where the punch is.

I run an 7820x and an 8600k now. I had a threadripper and 1700x. The amds are faster in smt all day long but cant come close to coffee lake or skylake x in gaming power.

Well the 1700x is not fadter than thw 7820x by any stretch but the 1950x crushes it with 2x the threads. But I see where Kyle was coming from. His comments should be regarded in the context that he provided.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  19. Brainless

Brainless n00bie

No, you are not stuck!
    My mobo is P67 Extreme4 and boots perfectly from my new little 1TB EVO 960 m.2 drive. You need just bios mod. Guide can be found on win-raid forum.

20. Design1stcode2nd

Design1stcode2nd Gawd

Thanks but for me I'll just wait for my next upgrade. I have 2nd machine with a 960 and it does boot a couple seconds faster but so far in day to day tasks the difference is negligible.

21. Brainless

Brainless n00bie

You're absolutely right. Here are two tests from me, posted on another forum.

Power on to desktop:
    950 EVO 500GB - 23.45s
    960 EVO 1TB - 21.90s

DCS: Mig-21 Instant action->Free flight loading time:
    950 EVO 500GB - 46.60s
    960 EVO 1TB - 36.70s

In the second one there is a noticeable difference, but the seconds are too much anyway.
    I think Intel has finally done something that's really worth it (8600K/8700K), but these crazy RAM prices....Anyway, I still feel good with my very old (almost 7 years lol) 2500K and I can wait better times.

22. Design1stcode2nd

Design1stcode2nd Gawd

Same my 4670k is doing everything I need and I'm GPU bound anyway at 3440x1440

23. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD Gawd

I went from 4670K to 8600K and for me it was worth it but I do quite a lot of video encoding and going from 3 to 5 threads definitely helped a lot. :) Overall seems a little more responsive in Windows too. But I also went for the onboard sound chip upgrade (really been loving the ASRock's config/choice of onboard amp sound signature) but the Asrock Extreme6 Z87 motherboard had some issues with noise leaking from the motherboard to the sound chain (for example from the GPU in certain games) but this new Z370 ASrock Taichi is DEAD silent from electric noise at all times, even when plugging in a noisy headphone amp, it's better in this sense than even some 3rd party PCI-E based soundcards I've had!! Must be due the change of having a separate layer in the PCB only for the audio signal. Gone are the days of noisy onboard sound! :) Going from ALC1150 to ALC1220 I don't notice a lot of change to the sound which is good because it already sounded damn good on the previous Z87 board if it wasn't for that slight disturbing factor of electric noise occasionally.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    DejaWiz likes this.
  24. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

Glad I do not plan to upgrade anytime soon.