Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-8600K vs 7600K at 5GHz Review @ [H]

Just check your mobo manual if you want to boot from that, mine does not support PCIE boot (Z87) so I'm stuck with SATA.
No, you are not stuck!
My mobo is P67 Extreme4 and boots perfectly from my new little 1TB EVO 960 m.2 drive. You need just bios mod. Guide can be found on win-raid forum.

No, you are not stuck!
My mobo is P67 Extreme4 and boots perfectly from my new little 1TB EVO 960 m.2 drive. You need just bios mod. Guide can be found on win-raid forum.

Thanks but for me I'll just wait for my next upgrade. I have 2nd machine with a 960 and it does boot a couple seconds faster but so far in day to day tasks the difference is negligible.

Thanks but for me I'll just wait for my next upgrade. I have 2nd machine with a 960 and it does boot a couple seconds faster but so far in day to day tasks the difference is negligible.
You're absolutely right. Here are two tests from me, posted on another forum.

Power on to desktop:
950 EVO 500GB - 23.45s
960 EVO 1TB - 21.90s

DCS: Mig-21 Instant action->Free flight loading time:
950 EVO 500GB - 46.60s
960 EVO 1TB - 36.70s

In the second one there is a noticeable difference, but the seconds are too much anyway.
I think Intel has finally done something that's really worth it (8600K/8700K), but these crazy RAM prices....Anyway, I still feel good with my very old (almost 7 years lol) 2500K and I can wait better times.

Same my 4670k is doing everything I need and I'm GPU bound anyway at 3440x1440

I went from 4670K to 8600K and for me it was worth it but I do quite a lot of video encoding and going from 3 to 5 threads definitely helped a lot. :) Overall seems a little more responsive in Windows too. But I also went for the onboard sound chip upgrade (really been loving the ASRock's config/choice of onboard amp sound signature) but the Asrock Extreme6 Z87 motherboard had some issues with noise leaking from the motherboard to the sound chain (for example from the GPU in certain games) but this new Z370 ASrock Taichi is DEAD silent from electric noise at all times, even when plugging in a noisy headphone amp, it's better in this sense than even some 3rd party PCI-E based soundcards I've had!! Must be due the change of having a separate layer in the PCB only for the audio signal. Gone are the days of noisy onboard sound! :) Going from ALC1150 to ALC1220 I don't notice a lot of change to the sound which is good because it already sounded damn good on the previous Z87 board if it wasn't for that slight disturbing factor of electric noise occasionally.

Last edited:
It's time for me to upgrade my 3770k, I was holding on for Coffee Lake in the hopes there'd be an actual performance increase for normal users, but once again it's just: "MASSIVE 15% performance increase! ... for the tiny slice of the PC market that just encodes video all day and/or run 70 applications at once and want to shave 50c off their electricity bill while doing that..."

Ultimately I guess CPU performance simply isn't a bottleneck for general PC use (i.e, anything that doesn't rely heavily on on having more than 2-4 cores), and hasn't been for years, and likely never will be again, which isn't exactly a terrible problem to have, but it feels a bit scam-like that I need to buy a whole new system at this point to get stuff like nvme and M.2 support without getting any meaningful CPU gains

No you don’t. Just get m.2 PCIe card.

So you mean to tell me Skylake chips will work with C326 chipset, but Xeon chips won't work with Z170 chipset now wtf!? What gives why is this that seems wrong try to explain it to me? Different pins ala Coffee Lake naw think again cause it's backwards compatible so what's up Intel!? What kind of bs are you trying to pull with consumers?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance GamingOC/index.us.asp?cat=CPU
Funny how right on the money I was about this. Mostly that is is I made the assumption that possibly the pin arranged changed for Coffee Lake in some way or another, but reality is it didn't which is hardly shocking. I do find it kind of amusing that with the right modding and z170 board a i9 9900K CPU work with that chipset though. I remember the c326 chipset during Skylake was supposedly required for the Xeon's, but I doubt that's true and think it's just ME and microcode preventing it artificially to drive up prices for consumers and reduce and prevent second hand chip sales. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-9900k-overclock-z170,38181.html What's interesting to me is that the mod community seem to have dissected the pin arrangement and z170 mod chip support only a few months after I made this post. Literally it happened in November by some individual that knew their stuff or knew enough to get started and others joined in and contributed in providing a mod akin to the LGA 771/LGA775 pad mod we saw for core 2 quad/xeon chips. That's actually why I was so skeptical of the whole thing in the first place especially given the same pin count. Now trying to mod something like Ryzen to Threadripper that would prove to be quite difficult. Actually that leads to a rather interesting question to theorize. I wonder if a Intel LGA1150 processor could be made compatible with LGA1151 motherboard with a microcode patch and/or some pin mods. For example to make say a i7 5775 processor work with DDR4 memory that just so happen to have that rather unique EDRAM and was 14nm as well. I'd be impressed if someone pulled that mod off and keen to see how it operates.

Back