Intel Buys Off Mac Guy

because someone dared to criticize their precious macs?! lol "faster" and less useful. ok? whatever that is supposed to mean...
Sure? It seems to me you're taking it far more personally than even your implications of Mac users seem to suggest.
It should also be noted that Windows users are >70% of the market. So you're saying <10% of the market magically made those videos more hated than what 70% of the market uses? Using basic math and any amount of logic dictates that those commercials are disliked by far more than just the Mac community which is a gross minority.
If anything it seems to me that people have it out for Intel. It's FAR more likely that it was down-voted by a bunch of AMD lovers than it is down-voted by Mac lovers.

I have a Dell 9310 with UHD Touch, 32GB RAM, 11th gen i7, and 2TB 980 Pro SSD. Pretty much the fastest ultrabook out there.
I also have an M1 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD.

There is simply no comparison, the Macbook Pro wipes the floor on battery life and system "in the pants" feel. The Dell gets hot AF, fans are noisy and the battery drain is horrific. I'd never know the (Macbook) has a fan as it's simply inaudible unless running loops of Cinebench is your fancy.

That said, I do like the 3840x2400 UHD+ screen. Much improved over the 3840x2160 on my XPS 9370. Windows Hello is about the same on both.

Apple's display while not as sharp, is more color accurate. I love the thin bezels of the XPS, have always been a fan and owned them since the 9500 came out in 2016. The design has aged well.

I was going to get the 2in1 BUT the SSD is soldered on! WTF! And it's not even PCI-E 4.0 which makes no sense as (Tiger Lake) supports it. The WD 730SSD that Dell includes with the 9310 was quite bad in transfer consistency and overall performance. At least with the 9310 it can be swapped out with a better solution!

When Apple comes out with the new Macbooks (14" and 16") with Apple Silicon it's game over. Thinner bezels and TouchID would be great. I hope they never put a touchscreen on any Mac. Unless they have a 2in1, that's only where it makes sense.

I may sound Apple biased but I'm not at all. I use/need/like both platforms but since the M1, the Mac is back IMHO! I just parted with my 16" Macbook Pro because I know its value is going to be severely depreciated by year's end. Nobody's going to want them for good reason!

If anything it seems to me that people have it out for Intel. It's FAR more likely that it was down-voted by a bunch of AMD lovers than it is down-voted by Mac lovers.
- 40-60% performance losses since Meltdown and Spectre and the other 70+ hardware exploits that have been exposed since January 2018.
- Complete loss in value of any CPU since Nehalem EX and Sandy Bridge onward due to said loss in performance from security patches.
- Endless firmware patches, if OEMs even make them available, and if not the platforms are basically dead and/or a security risk.
- Massive upward hike in energy consumption and heat from power draw on patched platforms to perform the same task equally, or worse, than before patching.
- The death of all platforms from Nehalem back to the Pentium Pro in any production environment, legacy/proprietary/specialized/embedded or otherwise.
- The death of Hyper-threading (SMT) on all Intel CPUs due to the need to disable it to only 'partially' mitigate the Foreshadow exploit.
- No class action lawsuit held against Intel or return in value for the loss of value and complete false advertising once the cut-corners were exposed.
- The need to replace numerous unpatchable and/or unsupported Intel systems with alternate systems since January 2018, and enduring costs, time, work hours involved.

But those laptop screens, which have absolutely nothing to do with the CPU, have never looked better!
Yeah, I can't imagine why they are getting all the down-votes, so let's just keep blaming all of those AMD and Mac lovers... :whistle:

Last edited:
I can never see him without thinking of Rip Torn throwing a wrench at his face.

It was the movie moment I never knew I needed until I saw it.

More like 90 percent.
You quoted and tagged me just to say that?
First off, the sales stats I've seen don't say that. Secondly ">70%" includes 90%. I"m guessing you weren't a Math major. Third, all you're doing is proving my point but trying to make it sound contrary.

You quoted and tagged me just to say that?
First off, the sales stats I've seen don't say that. Secondly ">70%" includes 90%. I"m guessing you weren't a Math major. Third, all you're doing is proving my point but trying to make it sound contrary.
Lol.

mileading thread title.

Intel didn't "buy him off", they hired a guy to make a commercial who used to make mac commercials.. big deal. Not the first time it's happened.

HEADLINE: "Adidas BUYS OFF Nike commercial star, NBA player Grabbin M'Nuts! Production has already started for a new ad campaign. details to follow"

who gives a shit other than it could make for some amusing commercials.

Go to 0:15 in the video, and the overlay of the laptop covers his left thumb - wtf?!
View attachment 339905
Took a screenshot for evidence, look at his thumb and the laptop.
I see that Intel is as good at making ads as it is at making CPUs. :meh:

Look at his hands in relation to the "reflection" on the laptop.
This is some seriously bad editing, and false advertising...
View attachment 339907

Are these unreleased MacBook Pro laptops (leaked early?), or are these faux mockups (more false advertising?)...?
View attachment 339908
I'm guessing they're as fake as the overlays. Would be nice if MacBook Pros were bezel-free like that. This whole commercial is just awful.

mileading thread title.

Intel didn't "buy him off", they hired a guy to make a commercial who used to make mac commercials.. big deal. Not the first time it's happened.

HEADLINE: "Adidas BUYS OFF Nike commercial star, NBA player Grabbin M'Nuts! Production has already started for a new ad campaign. details to follow"

who gives a shit other than it could make for some amusing commercials.
It's pertinent because the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials were quite popular, and Justin Long as kind of seen as a Mac guy for the longest time. They could have picked literally any other actor, but the fact that they picked him is quite obvious it wasn't an accident. Obviously he's an actor and what commercials he's in are irrelevant, but it's definitely something they clear did on purpose. It would have been better if the commercial wasn't complete crap.

It's pertinent because the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials were quite popular, and Justin Long as kind of seen as a Mac guy for the longest time. They could have picked literally any other actor, but the fact that they picked him is quite obvious it wasn't an accident. Obviously he's an actor and what commercials he's in are irrelevant, but it's definitely something they clear did on purpose. It would have been better if the commercial wasn't complete crap.

I don't think anyone is saying that they didn't do it on purpose. They are saying that he's an actor and "buying him off" isn't really relevant because he has no bearing other than marketing. If Intel suddenly announced Lisa Su as CEO with a compensation package worth double what she makes at AMD, it would be different and more applicable to the charge of being "bought off."

This is no different than the Verizon "can you hear me now" guy doing Sprint commercials.

If someone is buying a computer based on what Justin Long says (either pro Mac or pro Intel), they're an idiot...

"Hi I'm a Mac and I cost a fortune, even though my hardware is last generation or older "Buy me and you will high "Social Status".

"Hi I'm a PC. I can do everything a Mac does & more at a third of the cost".

/thread.

Ehhhh, I would say the people that need legacy software in order to do the work they need to do is small and becoming smaller. It's mostly relegated to really old businesses that have software that is written in old obscure languages that no one dares touch because stability matters far more than modernization - even though of course everyone knows it is a time bomb that eventually will have to change.
When I left UPS 10 years ago, its inbound/outbound software for deploying trucks was literally still running in DOS - but that could easily be emulated in ARM just as it's easily emulated in x86/Windows. Even in 2010 though it was woefully outdated. It's not an issue really for people buying OEM's or for Servers - that are never running Windows based OS's to begin with - and they can VM anything as necessary anyway.

In terms of general users though, most don't need any piece of software that wasn't written in the last 10 years. The [H] is well known for talking about "normal" computer users as opposed to the elite and it's obvious the elite are vastly outweighed by people that mostly use computers like appliances. And the real characterization of most Windows users is that they use it because it's the "default" operating system for them to use for a low(er) cost computing device (which also I believe is coincidentally why the Chromebook you just brought up is gaining market share at the cost of Windows). In other words they aren't using it because they need compatibility they're using it because that's just what you use. People that actually "need" 30+ years of legacy as a general user I would bet would be a fraction of 1%. People that want 30+ years of legacy might well be higher, but in terms of productivity and getting their work done? Yeah, no.
For home users? Probably. But that's not where Intel or MS make their money. They get their $$$ from businesses and they need backwards compatibility. They're not going to move Mac OS, just like they're not going to move most desktops to Linux (the main exception being for developers, and admins maintaining linux servers).
Nevertheless, on this topic, these ads were bad...then again, the original Mac PC ads were dumb too.

Mac, intel and dell guys.. top three references to the best hardware.

fk off

I don't think anyone is saying that they didn't do it on purpose. They are saying that he's an actor and "buying him off" isn't really relevant because he has no bearing other than marketing. If Intel suddenly announced Lisa Su as CEO with a compensation package worth double what she makes at AMD, it would be different and more applicable to the charge of being "bought off."

This is no different than the Verizon "can you hear me now" guy doing Sprint commercials.
Well yes, I agree. He has no actual ties to Apple in any way so he's not being bought off.

If someone is buying a computer based on what Justin Long says (either pro Mac or pro Intel), they're an idiot...
Yes and people buy things for much dumber reasons than this, sadly.

Back