Intel 10th Gen Core Comet Lake-S Desktop CPU Pricing

erek

[H]F Junkie
Seems a bit too reasonable? or am i mistaken?

"All that said, let's convert these prices into US dollars anyway...
  • Core i9-10900 (10 cores / 20 threads, 2.8GHz to 5.2GHz): $679 CAD = ~$487 USD
  • Core i7-10700K (8 cores / 16 threads, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz): $585 CAD = $419 USD
  • Core i7-10700 (8 cores / 16 threads, 2.9GHz to 4.8GHz): $506 CAD = ~$363 USD
As points of reference, the same retailer lists the Core i9-9900K for $746 CAD, the Core i9-9900KF for $709 CAD, and the Core i9-9900 for $678 CAD. So extrapolating from that, the Core i9-10900 will be just slightly more expensive than the Core i9-9900, which sports 8 cores and 16 threads clocked at 3.1GHz to 5GHz.

Comet Lake-S is another iteration of Intel's 14-nanometer node. One interesting thing we will be keeping an eye on is the level of cooling needed, particularly at the top of the stack. There is leaked evidence to suggest that Intel's upcoming 10-core/20-thread SKUs could require heavier duty cooling to hit those 5GHz and higher boost clocks.

Meanwhile, AMD's third-generation Ryzen desktop processors based on Zen 2 continue to fall in price. Case in point, the Ryzen 9 3900X is on sale for $434 on Amazon. That is a 12-core/24-thread processor with a 3.8GHz base clock and 4.6GHz max boost clock. It's also worth noting that AMD's X570 chipset supports PCI Express 4.0, which is not something Comet Lake-S is expected to match."

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-s-desktop-cpu-pricing-leaks

Intel is adopting RTG GPU approach: year late, barely if any faster (often more power use) and priced the same or more. But when you have Intel shares that argument isn't thrown around for some strange reason.

Blaaaaa. . . . . . Also a deadened platform. Take at least $100 off each one and some good cheap motherboards. Too little too late, 6-8 months from now, Zen 2 will probably be sold way cheaper plus Zen 3 out etc.

I agree with this. If Intel saw the light the top end 10C / 20T would be $350 US.

Regardless of what nerds around these boards think it's still an Intel world out there. Intel inertia is huge. They don't have to lower prices that drastically to make good money and sell procs. It is what it is.

Has the new 1200 pin socket been confirmed? If so, I guess I don't have a reason not to give my money to AMD instead of updating my 8700K.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

It's going to be a new socket. It's been a long time since Intel reused a socket more than once.

you can't even double the number of cores on this new socket. With AMD, you can (or, if you wait for the release of Zen 3, you can pick up 3950x for under $600.)

If yoou're looking for max per-core-performance, Zen 3 should exceed the per-thread performance of massively-overclocked 10-core Skylake, while offering more cores at the same pricepoint (if you're not aching to buy a replacement for that 8700k before August).

You willl have to buy a new motherboard anyway, so just wait until August to decide.

Last edited:
Those prices looks quite alright to be Intel for a new series and all but I hate the fact Intel totally forgets the 9xxx series pricing, if they'd price the 9900 series accordingly to this new series or AMD for that matter they'd need such a massive cut and unfortunately they already lost me as a customer for that stubborn pricing as I already know the drill, the 9700K and 9900K etc will be shown under the rug and quickly EOL and prices won't move one bit and they force users to upgrade to a new motherboard.

This is how I bet it will go, shortly after 10K series launch they 9K series will be announced EOL and they'll just slowly clear out the inventory and as you know when inventory is about to run out typically it means even increase in a few couple of $10 so imagine the insanity of paying like $530 for a 9900K or $400 for a 9700K just before launch of Ryzen 4000 series.

The Ryzen 4000 desktop parts can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
It's going to be a new socket. It's been a long time since Intel reused a socket more than once.

you can't even double the number of cores on this new socket. With AMD, you can (or, if you wait for the release of Zen 3, you can pick up 3950x for under $600.)

If yoou're looking for max per-core-performance, Zen 3 should exceed the per-thread performance of massively-overclocked 10-core Skylake, while offering more cores at the same pricepoint (if you're not aching to buy a replacement for that 8700k before August).

You willl have to buy a new motherboard anyway, so just wait until August to decide.
From Intel's POV, X299 (LGA2066) is going on 3 "generations," now. 3 generations with the same silicon, architecture, core count, etc. At least they finally gave a "discount," the third time around.

I'd count it as one generation, and that's being generous. The lineup never added any new CPUs, instead losing the 4 core, 6 core, and 8 core SKUs when those became laughingstocks.

So yes, Intel hasn't reused a socket more than once, for a long while. I'd count x299/LGA2066 (unless if Ice Lake magically makes it over there) as a single offering deal, worse than LGA1150, which was also technically more than one gen, but only with a very rare and hard to acquire CPU.

It might be if you couldn't get the 3900x for $420.

Maybe Intel is factoring in the fact that you have to buy a $75+ cooler to run it :p.

I'd take the intel if price difference is that small, especially for my gaming box that already have a custom loop.

I'd take the intel if price difference is that small, especially for my gaming box that already have a custom loop.

Hopefully the mounting mechanism for the CPU cooling will remain the same even if the socket changes.

$60 difference according to leaked pricing. I don't think the difference at 1440p is worth $60 to me. Maybe rocket lake is more interesting.

Hopefully the mounting mechanism for the CPU cooling will remain the same even if the socket changes.

I'm sure it will be. The pins will just be slightly more dense I would guess.

Eh, I mean they are right inline with their pricing model since Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge.

Back on release day in late August of 2012, I paid $350 for my i7-3770K.
Adjusted for inflation, that is about $392 today.

i7-10700K is supposedly going to retail for USD $419, providing generations of architectural and IPC improvements plus double the cores and threads, for what would have been anMSRP of about $374 back on Ivy Bridge launch date.

That being said, I realize that I am only comparing Intel to Intel here.
I'm going to stand by my personal opinion that catching a Ryzen 9 3900X on sale for about $420 is absolutely the better way to go...and likely will remain that way when the Ryzen 4000 lineup emerges.

10900 looks like a bargain.

The frustrating thing about this--and it applies to a lesser extent to AMD--is the way you can only get the top (stock) speed with the most expensive product. I'd love the i5 with the same clocks as the i9, because I don't need the 4 extra cores, but all the boost clocks top out 3-500MHz lower.

Yeah, you can probably OC them just as fast but ti's still annoying. I'd even be willing to pay an extra $30 or so to get the extra speed, on a hypothetical i5-10650K or 10700K.

Back on release day in late August of 2012, I paid $350 for my i7-3770K.
Adjusted for inflation, that is about $392 today.

I paid $327 for a 4790k in spring 2015. I saw those drop down to $310 on Amazon at one point. The only real benefit has been that Intel's resale value has been high for years because of the slow speed upgrades but I don't see that lasting, maybe 1-2 more years because of cheap Ryzen chips.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Thats like 4 quarters! Still not accurate :p (fyi we've only had one depression in the past century, but like 20 recessions)

I'm so sorry, I really meant, the total collapse of the Bretton-Woods economic model. :p

I'm so sorry, I really meant, the total collapse of the Bretton-Woods economic model. :p
1586839052509.png

Reactions: magda
like this
Back