Illegal Music Downloading Decreased Significantly In 2012

To be fair there hasn't been anything interesting in terms of music to buy, as bad as the choice of games last year.

That's total BS, there's 123 scene or other release albums that made my To Buy list alone in the past 3 months, 55 from 2013, out of 337 in total. And I don't even listen to heavy metal or hip-hop/rap:

2Cellos - In2ition - 2013
3 Doors Down - The Greatest Hits - 2012
77 Bombay Street - Oko Town - 2012
Aaron Neville - My True Story - 2013
ACDC - Live At River Plate - 2CD - 2012
Adele - 19 - 2008
Adele - 21 - 2011
Affiance - The Campaign - 2012
Alicia Keys - As I Am - 2008
All That Remains - A War You Cannot Win - 2012
Amy.Winehouse - At.The.BBC - 2012
Andrew Bird - Hands Of Glory - 2012
Ash Borer - Ash Borer - 2013
Atlas Genius - When It Was Now 2013
Axel Rudi Pell - - Circle of the Oath - 2012
A Faylene Sky - Hell Is Where The Heart Is - 2013
Bad Religion - True North - 2013
Ben Harper With Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up - 2013
Biffy Clyro - Opposites - 2013
Bjork - Bastards - 2012
Black Veil Brides - Wretched And Divine The Story Of The Wild Ones - 2013
Blink-182 - Blink-182 Greatest Hits - 2005
Buckcherry - Confessions - 2013
Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper - 2013
Capture The Crown - Til Death - 2012
Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights - 2013
Codec - Horizontime - 2012
Coldplay - Live 2012 - 2012
Common - The Dreamer The Believer - 2011
Courteeners - ANNA - 2013
Crown The Empire - The Fallout - 2012
Crystal Castles - (III) - 2012
Cult of Luna - Vertikal - 2013
Cult Of Luna - Vertikal - 2013
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003
Delphic - Collections - 2013
Depeche Mode - Heaven (EP) - 2013
Devlin - A Moving Picture 2013
Dido - Safe Trip Home 2008
Disperse - Living Mirrors - 2013
Dropkick Murphys - Signed And Sealed In Blood - 2013
Eels - Wonderful Glorious - 2013
Emilia Amper - Trollfageln - 2012
Eric Burdon - Til Your River Runs Dry - 2013
Example - The Evolution of Man - 2012
Fidlar - Fidlar - 2013
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - 2013
Florence - The Machine - Lungs - 2011
Flyleaf - New Horizons - 2012
Foals - Holy Fire - 2013
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
For All I Am - Skinwalker - 2013
Fun. - iTunes Session (EP) - 2012
Gliss - Langsom Dans - 2013
Good Charlotte - Cardiology - 2010
Green Day - Tre - 2012
H.I.M. - Uneasy Listening Vol.1 - 2006
H.I.M. - Uneasy Listening Vol.2 - 2007
Hardline - Danger Zone - 2012
Helloween - Straight out of Hell - 2013
HIM - XX Two Decades of Love Metal - 2012
Hollywood Undead - Notes from the Underground - 2013
Holy Grail - Ride The Void - 2013
HRVRD - From The Birds Cage - 2013
Indochine - Black City Parade - 2013
James Summerfield - Two Brothers Leave Home - (Advance) - 2013
Jewel - Greatest Hits - 2013
Jorn - Symphonic - 2013
Kate Earl - Stronger - 2012
Kimberley Walsh - Centre Stage - 2013
Krokus - Dirty Dynamite - 2013
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day - 2CD - 2012
Linkin Park - Studio Collection - 2013
Little Indian Rabbits - 4th Round - 2011
Low - The Invisible Way - 2013
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animal - iTunes Version - 1998
Marilyn Manson - The High End of Low 2009
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012
Mechina - Empyrean - 2013
Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live - 2012
Mount Moriah - Miracle Temple - 2013
Mumford Sons - The Road To Red Rocks - Live - 2012
Mylene Farmer - Monkey Me - 2012
Nana Cadavieco
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away - 2013
Nightwish - Highest Hopes The Best of Nightwish - 2005
Nightwish - Imaginaerum The Score - 2012
Palma Violets - 180 - 2013
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998
Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted - 2CD - 2012
Protoje - The 8 Year Affair - 2013
Richard Thompson - Electric - 2CD - 2013
Sade - The Ultimate Collection - 2011
Sarah Brightman - Dreamchaser - 2013
Sia - Some People Have Real Problems - 2008
Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods - 2012
Slash - Slash - 2010
Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist - 2007
So Many Wizards - Warm Nothing - 2012
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) - 2013
Stratovarius - Nemesis - 2013
STRFKR - Miracle Mile - 2013
Sufjan Stevens - Silver And Gold - 5CD - 2012
Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder - 2011
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012
The Animals - The Very Best Of The Animals - 2012
The Fear - Here Goes Nothing - 2012
The Killers - Day & Age - 2008
The Lumineers - The Lumineers - 2012
The Mavericks - In Time - 2013
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - 2CD - 2012
The SteelDrivers - Hammer Down - 2013
The Stone Foxes - Small Fires - 2013
The Tenors - Lead With Your Heart - 2012
The Village People - The Best of Village People - 1994
The Virginmarys - King Of Conflict - 2013
The xx - xx+The xxmas - 2012
Train - California 37 - 2012
Underoat - Anthology
VA - 2013 Grammy Nominees - 2013
Veronica Falls - Waiting For Something To Happen - 2013
Waylon Jennings - Goin Down Rockin The Last Recordings - 2012

Because I would like for musicians to continue to make music so I can listen to it. Why did painters have benefactors? Obviously someone wanted them to paint pictures for them to view. It made them happy to see the artist's work so they paid them. Why do we buy games? So the developers (artists) can make money to live off of, so they can make more games to make us happy.

Well that's the way I see it. I mean the musicians could write songs in their spare time and release a new album every decade, but I think paying them to do so is more beneficial.

One could easily argue that money is in fact what kills musicians and music.....just look at the highest paid "Musicians". I mean Take That made $69 million and I don't even know what a Take That is.

Bach wrote 1127 songs and was far from rich.
Tool makes 1 album every 5 years and they are rich.
Britney Spears Shits out an album every other year and is the 7th wealthiest musician

See my point. Bach easily the most talented and yet poorest. Tool while less talented than Bach is more talented than Britney however makes less.

OK illegal music downloading has decreased 17%...

where's the 2nd part to this information.. has music sales increased 17%

Since having the Spotify account.. I don't find myself downloading any music these days

One could easily argue that money is in fact what kills musicians and music.....just look at the highest paid "Musicians". I mean Take That made $69 million and I don't even know what a Take That is.

Britney Spears Shits out an album every other year and is the 7th wealthiest musician

See my point. Bach easily the most talented and yet poorest. Tool while less talented than Bach is more talented than Britney however makes less.

Check your history...Bach enjoyed a fairly nice life compared to others, with all his costs paid for by wealthy nobles or churches most of the time. You don't grow up in a house with a harpsichord by being poor.

To better make your point I'd use W.A. Mozart....although even he could have lived a good life, if he would have had a damn clue about how to manage his finances....like many modern day stars athletic or musical, Mozart lacked any maturity when it came to finances.

Check your history...Bach enjoyed a fairly nice life compared to others, with all his costs paid for by wealthy nobles or churches most of the time. You don't grow up in a house with a harpsichord by being poor.

To better make your point I'd use W.A. Mozart....although even he could have lived a good life, if he would have had a damn clue about how to manage his finances....like many modern day stars athletic or musical, Mozart lacked any maturity when it came to finances.

No point still holds true. In terms of relative wealth Bach < Tool < Britney.

Bach wasn't rich. He wasn't poor. But he also wasn't rich. Also growing up in a wealthy family doesn't mean he got his wealth from playing or creating music.

In addition to $0.99 songs from iTunes and Amazon MP3 rather than being forced to buy whole albums.

This is what I am finding myself. Sure, I've found some great albums, but mostly they are one hit wonders (or 1 or 2 great songs on an album).

Although, I did just buy a physical CD (that will soon be ripped) - Les Claypool's (of Primus) rendition of Pink Floyd's Animals. Heard part on Pandora, and the rest is supposed to be as good.

No point still holds true. In terms of relative wealth Bach < Tool < Britney.

Bach wasn't rich. He wasn't poor. But he also wasn't rich. Also growing up in a wealthy family doesn't mean he got his wealth from playing or creating music.

Define wealth.

Nowadays a composer wants to compose a work like a choral cantata (Bach wrote hundreds of the damn things) with a few dozen instrumentalists and vocalists...well, they're only option is to use a synth to hear their work in Sibelius or Finale...because hiring and paying for performers today and back then was atrociously expensive....and just about no up-and-coming composer can afford to actually compose with and for an ensemble.

To simply get a 100-piece orchestra (large for today, small for Mahler) in the same room being paid unliveable-wages out here in the middle of nowhere costs about $100 per minute of on-call time....nevermind the cost of hiring a conductor, or having a music librarian to keep track of parts, or hell even paying to have a room to rehearse in. In musicians wages that means a standard 2-hour rehearsal is about $12,000 nvm everything else....now today most orchestras only have 2-3 rehearsals before a show plus the show call time, because it is so expensive....3 rehearsals+show call is ~$100,000USD in musician wages alone nevermind paying for ushers/stagehands/building-rent.

Those are today's prices. But musicians back then had the same expenses to pay, and similar bills due.

Bach might not have been personally wealthy...but he had princes and churches footing his massive bills. And paying his living expenses. Was bach a millionaire? No. Did he have someone else paying the equivalent of $100,000 for every show? Yes.

Hmmm, haven't seen any "good" music come out, so it's expected to see a decline. :D

Also stream radio has been a huge hit too, I wonder why? :confused: :rolleyes:

I wish the RIAA and MPAA would just die.

Last time I checked, Netflix didn't stream 5.1+ DD/DTS audio...

They have 5.1 streams, not sure if they're DTS, but DTS audio isn't really all that special. Encodes are just data and 5.1 audio isn't really high bitrate content. How many people even have audio setups that can make use of this in meaningful ways? Still, it's not like adding a 500kbps audio stream on top of 8-10Mbps is much of an issue. The problem isn't the capacity to offer blu-ray quality it's the fees to offer the content itself that get in the way. It's technically possible but something Hollywood isn't interested in enabling.

That's total BS, there's 123 scene or other release albums that made my To Buy list alone in the past 3 months, 55 from 2013, out of 337 in total. And I don't even listen to heavy metal or hip-hop/rap:

~snip~
You sir, are awesome. Not only for helping dispel the myth of: Music totally sucks from (Insert year/decade here). There has been no good music since (Insert year/decade here.)

And, I completely forgot about HIM. BRB Amazon

Probably because most music these days is absolutely terrible.

People have been saying that forever about all music. I look at 70's or 60's music and think "what would I listen to then, it's all dire". :D

Or you just aren't looking hard enough...

This statistic is 100% useless without a matching study on music paid for.

Spotify does some wack EQing to some of their music....on top of compression. I tried it and didn't mind it until I noticed how wrong some of their EQing on tracks sounds.

So long as you have shitty gear and don't mind audio that's lossy compressed to the point of sounding like ass.

Watch out guys, we got an audiophile over here!

Oh and let's not forget those of us with am/fm mobile phones don't have to pay extra to listen to music.

They have 5.1 streams, not sure if they're DTS, but DTS audio isn't really all that special. Encodes are just data and 5.1 audio isn't really high bitrate content. How many people even have audio setups that can make use of this in meaningful ways?

I have output via HDMI going to my 5.1 HT setup and Netflix does not output in any sort of meaningful way to my receiver. Conversely, I can play videos and movies just fine on my HTPC that work with DD/DTS output. So I guess I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Maybe they output in 5.1 analog but honestly, for an HTPC, who gives much of a shit about that?

Amazing so if you offer places to download digital music cheaply and have a large library of digital content to choose from .. people actually prefer it over stealing?

I'm sure the RIAA is dumping every resource they can into a program disproving this result.

Because people aren't downloading or buying music anymore with streaming services like Pandora/Last FM/Spotify etc.

Exactly. Spotift is a HUGE reason for this IMHO.

And I don't feel like all the complaints about Spotify's low compensation to artists are really valid. They may be a fraction of a penny per play, but three things make up for that:

1.) When you buy a CD or buy and download a song, you get infinite plays for that price. The artist doesn't get royalties every time you listen to a track, like they do with Spotify.

2.) Low cost to try out a new artist leads to bigger cross artist or even cross genre listening, more so than if you had to buy a CD or music file download. In other words, good artists are more easily discovered quickly, and can become popular and get more plays more quickly.

3.) Spotify is so easy and convenient, fewer and fewer people see a need to pirate music, which leads to more revenue, not less.

<snip>

You certainly have very varied musical tastes.

I saw two items on that list I'd be interested in buying, and there were also two "maybe's".

Amazing so if you offer places to download digital music cheaply and have a large library of digital content to choose from .. people actually prefer it over stealing?

I'm sure the RIAA is dumping every resource they can into a program disproving this result.

Well, there's no way to actually tell if that's the true cause, too many unaccounted for variables. You could just as equally say with the fear of being sued for copyright infringement people will be less inclined to steal.

Zarathustra[H];1039652152 said:

I saw two items on that list I'd be interested in buying, and there were also two "maybe's".

I was thinking the same thing...but to each his own. I think Porcupine Tree is the only one I'd probably check out.

That's probably the nicest way of saying, "You like a lot of crap." I've ever heard. :)

RIAA will claim that downloading is down because they shutdown so many newssites, and P2P sites.

Maynard is GOD.

Zarathustra[H];1039652133 said:
When you buy a CD or buy and download a song, you get infinite plays for that price. The artist doesn't get royalties every time you listen to a track, like they do with Spotify.
Let's not kid ourselves, artists get absolutely nothing from Spotify or LastFM, something like $100 for one million listens, they get their money only indirectly, like when you discover them via Spotify and you buy the CD, merchandise, or go to a concert.

There's still no satisfying way of consuming music to me, I would like to purchase the song or CD directly from the band, not from an online service that makes 30% on every sale or whatever the percentage is and has restrictive TOS. This way you can get infinite plays and a good remuneration model for artists. Labels and CD manufacturers should be paid a flat fee for their services, not a percentage like the leeches they are, and services such as iTunes or Amazon MP3 should really get only 5-10% of the sale price. Credit card companies charge only around 3% for their services, and they have much more costly security (supposedly), store each individual transaction, send monthly paper bills, so it probably compares with the storage cost of songs.

Forgot to mention that some in the previous list were not whole albums, just a few songs from the albums, and some that I kept only for reference to complete my collection of the original albums, instead of buying the compilation. I already have several of the David Bowie albums, for instance. The Marylin Monroe, Phil Collins or Village People songs are definitely not priorities of mine, here's the albums from that list which have only a few songs I'm interested in:

2Cellos - In2ition - 2013\05 - 2cellos - supermassive black hole (Muse)
2Cellos - In2ition - 2013\07 - 2cellos - clocks (Coldplay)
Aaron Neville - My True Story - 2013\06 - aaron neville - be my baby
Alicia Keys - As I Am - 2008\11 Where Do We Go From Here
Alicia Keys - As I Am - 2008\16 Doncha Know (Sky Is Blue)
Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper - 2013\02 - Truth Hurts
Crystal Castles - (III) - 2012\01 Plague
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\06 Rebel Rebel
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\07 Young Americans
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\10 Heroes
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\11 Ashes to Ashes
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\13 Under Pressure
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\14 Let's Dance
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\15 China Girl
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\16 Modern Love
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\17 Blue Jean
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\18 Dancing In the Streets
David Bowie - Best of Bowie - 2003\19 This Is Not America
Depeche Mode - Heaven (EP) - 2013\01 Heaven
Eric Burdon - Til Your River Runs Dry - 2013\01 - eric burdon - water
Eric Burdon - Til Your River Runs Dry - 2013\08 - eric burdon - 27 forever
Example - The Evolution of Man - 2012\02 Close Enemies
Example - The Evolution of Man - 2012\08 The Evolution of Man
Hollywood Undead - Notes from the Underground - 2013\03. Another Way Out
Hollywood Undead - Notes from the Underground - 2013\09. Believe
Jewel - Greatest Hits - 2013\03 Foolish Games
Jewel - Greatest Hits - 2013\15 Foolish Games (feat. Kelly Clarks)
Kimberley Walsh - Centre Stage - 2013\10 Hushabye Mountain
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000\01 Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000\03 My Heart Belongs to Daddy
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000\05 Bye Bye Baby
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000\12 I Wanna Be Loved By You
Marilyn Monroe - The Very Best of Marilyn Monroe - 2000\18 A Fine Romance
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\1 - 06 Lies
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\1 - 22 Memory Lane
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\2 - 01 Umbrella (Studio Version)
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\2 - 02 Lola
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\2 - 05 You've Got a Friend
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\2 - 09 Memory Lane (2003 Demo)
McFly - Memory Lane - The Best of McFly - 2012\2 - 20 Five Colours In Her Hair (U.S)
Mylene Farmer - Monkey Me - 2012\04 Tu ne le dis pas
Nana Cadavieco\Nana Cadavieco - Let Me Go
Nana Cadavieco\Nana Cadavieco - No Hay
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\01 Another Day In Paradise
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\03 Easy Lover
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\04 You Can't Hurry Love
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\05 Two Hearts
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\07 Against All Odds
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\08 Something Happened On the Way to Heaven
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\11 One More Night
Phil Collins - Phil Collins Hits - 1998\15 In the Air Tonight
Protoje - The 8 Year Affair - WEB - 2013 - SSR\02 - protoje - i and i
Protoje - The 8 Year Affair - WEB - 2013 - SSR\03 - protoje - kingston be wise
Protoje - The 8 Year Affair - WEB - 2013 - SSR\04 - protoje - hold you now
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012\03 All the Things She Said
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012\04 Show Me Love
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012\10 Ya Shola S Uma
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012\12 Show Me Love (Extended Version)
t.A.T.u. - 200 KMH In the Wrong Lane - 2012\14 All the Things She Said (Fernando Garibay Remix)
The Mavericks - In Time - 2013 - 404\14 - the mavericks - ven hacia mi (come unto me)
The Tenors - Lead With Your Heart - 2012 - SPLiFF\04 - the tenors - me he enamorado de ti (woman in love)
The Village People - The Best of Village People - 1994\01 Y.M.C.A.
The Village People - The Best of Village People - 1994\08 In the Navy
The Village People - The Best of Village People - 1994\10 Go West (12 Version)
The xx - xx+The xxmas - 2012\02 Angels (Live in Tokyo)
The xx - xx+The xxmas - 2012\03 Chained
VA - 2013 Grammy Nominees - 2013\01 The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Waylon Jennings - Goin Down Rockin The Last Recordings - 2012\07 - shakin the blues

That's probably the nicest way of saying, "You like a lot of crap." I've ever heard. :)
Ah well, the crap is the 200+ albums I listened to and didn't make it in my To Buy list in the past 3 months. I take it you haven't even listened to these songs and albums I listed, or may not even have heard of several of these artists (I knew less than 50% of them too before I listened to their albums, and I listen to a hell of a lot of music).

But yeah, I do have eclectic tastes, music is not resumed to a few genres to me, there's good music in every genre, even pop! ;) Probably only half a dozen of really excellent albums in the past 3 months though.

Ah well, the crap is the 200+ albums I listened to and didn't make it in my To Buy list in the past 3 months. I take it you haven't even listened to these songs and albums I listed, or may not even have heard of several of these artists (I knew less than 50% of them too before I listened to their albums, and I listen to a hell of a lot of music).

But yeah, I do have eclectic tastes, music is not resumed to a few genres to me, there's good music in every genre, even pop! ;) Probably only half a dozen of really excellent albums in the past 3 months though.

Don't mind me, I listen to a lot of crap too.

I say this has more to do with the shit music being released the past few years more than anything else.

Everything is crap to the right/wrong person.

I was jamming Mars Volta's Tetragrammaton, too which my special lady friend responded, it was the worst song she has ever been witness too. But to me its one the best songs released in my generation.

In addition to $0.99 songs from iTunes and Amazon MP3 rather than being forced to buy whole albums.
Who the hell pays a whopping DOLLAR for a single song?

To fill your average iPod would cost as much as a really nice car! That's ridiculous.

There's a ton of free stuff now too.

If you listen to EDM you can pretty much spend all day listening to sets on soundcloud or subscriptions to MrSuicideSheep, MajesticCasual, etc on Youtube.

Agreed with everyone. Unless you are wanting a lossless format, there's not much reason to not use a streaming service.

Everything is crap to the right/wrong person.

I was jamming Mars Volta's Tetragrammaton, too which my special lady friend responded, it was the worst song she has ever been witness too. But to me its one the best songs released in my generation.
I hate you forever for poisoning my ear drums with such a horrible mismatch of random noises you implied was music. Ugh, now I have to listen to Two Steps from Hell until my brain can unremember the suffering it just endured.

I hate you forever for poisoning my ear drums with such a horrible mismatch of random noises you implied was music. Ugh, now I have to listen to Two Steps from Hell until my brain can unremember the suffering it just endured.

Movie trailer music?

hahaha that rings familar...the Avantgarde side of Mars Volta clashes with many brains.

Back