Ikea desk gallery

the photos are taking standing on top of my bed, so the room is actually fairly big - it's just a sink in there, there's no toilet/shower and it's NOT a prison cell!!!

i'll make some pictures of the other side of the room seeing as everyone is so interested! xD

the photos are taking standing on top of my bed, so the room is actually fairly big - it's just a sink in there, there's no toilet/shower and it's NOT a prison cell!!!

i'll make some pictures of the other side of the room seeing as everyone is so interested! xD

If it makes you feel better, I've seen sinks in bedrooms before. Some buddies of mine in college had one in each of their rooms (off campus student housing). The lady who showed them the place said it was to cut down on bathroom congestion since there was only 1 bathroom for 4 guys.

They called the bedroom sinks "Whore-Bath Island" since if they didn't have time to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom, they would just wipe themselves down with a wash cloth and spritz on some cologne and deodorant. You know, take a whore-bath. It seemed to work, but not nearly as well as the housing lady led them to believe. We made fun of them constantly for it : ) They did make good make-shift beer coolers though. Came in handy for parties.

So hence forth, sinks located in bedrooms have been called Whore-Bath Island. Touching story, I know.

Doesn't seem that big to me. If that's your bed on the side there, even with a king sized bed the room still wouldn't be very big. And why the hell would you have a sink in a bedroom? WTF?

What's so odd about having a sink in the bedroom? :/

Having worked in the construction industry and after looking at god knows how many houses searching for my own I can tell you it's pretty damned odd. At least in America. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a sink in a bedroom. I wouldn't even want one if it was an option.

Having worked in the construction industry and after looking at god knows how many houses searching for my own I can tell you it's pretty damned odd. At least in America. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a sink in a bedroom. I wouldn't even want one if it was an option.

Ah right, a rare thing in the US then. Quite common in the UK to be honest, well not "quite common" but it happens and isn't considered strange :)

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I've been meaning to upgrade my desk for a LONG time and all the choices on Amazon/Office Depot/Dept. stores are crummy. This Ikea Galant is exactly what I was looking for.

Do people prefer the "T" or "A" legs?

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I've been meaning to upgrade my desk for a LONG time and all the choices on Amazon/Office Depot/Dept. stores are crummy. This Ikea Galant is exactly what I was looking for.

Do people prefer the "T" or "A" legs?

I prefer the T-Legs. They just look a hell of a lot better.

T-legs FTW. Easier to adjust height, slide under (some) baseboard heaters (if you desk is against the wall with a heater at the bottom and you want the desktop to touch the fall) + style (although, this may be subjective) ... On the negative side, they're like $5 apiece more than the A-leg (pair).

i prefer the t-legs. i just would not feel safe with the a-leg. although, i wish ikea just sold a fixed height t-leg thats not adjustable cause i know what height i want mine at :)

you can adjust the height of the t-leg galant desks? i've never had an ikea desk or don't really know anyone that has them.

shit. that's awesome. are all ikea desks like that or just the galant? from my research and seeing other people's setups i think a jerker would be awesome but i know they've been discontinued... sucks.

no, not all. but the vika series does have telescopic legs as well.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60105301

and you can typically find jerkers on your local CL for around $50.

Sold my Galant for 150 last night and picking up a jeker today for 25 bucks! WooT

Since I own both I'd say good job on getting the Jerker for $25, but unless you are severely limited on space, the Galant is the better desk.

Sold my Galant for 150 last night and picking up a jeker today for 25 bucks! WooT

That's a great deal! i paid $75 for mine and i still consider that WAY too low... i would pay $300 for this desk... who knows that could be the going rate in 5-10 years

Some updates for 2011:
DSC_0002.JPG

New shelf!
DSC_0003.JPG

what are some of the reasons why the jerker is better? aren't they both adjustable?

fredrik is a joke compared to the jerker. its just bigger and sturdier and more well made in every aspect. the folks at ikea told me they were coming out with a jerker replacement when i asked when the jerker was being discontinued, and also said it would be exactly the same but just a new name: that name being fredrik. please :p

Since I own both I'd say good job on getting the Jerker for $25, but unless you are severely limited on space, the Galant is the better desk.

This.

The Galant I picked up for $50 with extensions was an absolute steal. I have more space than I know what to do with. I have 3 monitors, a receiver and 2 bookshelf speakers sitting on it right now, and I still have a fair amount of room.

Nice setup.
I have a feeling that you're a car racing fan. lol It's all good.

...MAYBE. When you have a friend with a race car (red one on the far left laptop), and are probably building one of your own this year for you and your wife...I think I kissed some of the technology budget goodbye. :-/

Actually, I spend so much time at the track working on that particular car I don't get to watch half of the F1 and other racing I'd like to. Guess it's good I'm going to Long Beach to watch a race weekend this year!

Where are the shelves for the Galant? Drawers? Not looking any better to me.

What I am getting at is that the Galant is just a table. The Jerker is more like a desk. So how is the Galant better?

Where are the shelves for the Galant? Drawers? Not looking any better to me.

The Galant is far larger with all the optional sections than the Jerker is with all it's options. Yeah there are shelves you can add to the Jerker, but they don't make up for the physical lack of space as compared to the Galant. There is also an optional file cabinet for the Galant. The Jerker doesn't have that option. My monitor setup wouldn't fit on a Jerker and it does fit on a Galant with plenty of room to spare. The Galant requires more space and costs more, but I think it's a far better desk. Again I own them both (they are in fact in the same room) and my main rig is on the Galant, not the Jerker.

What I am getting at is that the Galant is just a table. The Jerker is more like a desk. So how is the Galant better?
The Galant offers several different pieces that let you customize the size/shape of the desk. There literally is no limit to how you can put together a Galant desk. You can't do anything like that with a Jerker.

Back