Ikea desk gallery

Holy shit, i just went to order it as i saw they shipped, the desk i want is 250....

They want 150 to ship it , OK SERIOULSY WTF:(

Holy shit, i just went to order it as i saw they shipped, the desk i want is 250....

That is exactly why I waited till I was in Atlanta visiting my mother to make a trip to Ikea for my Frederik.

Because of their flat-large boxing shape, shipping is expensive. And make no mistake, these things are also heavy.

The shape is great for transportation in minivans and cars, but not great for shipping rates. It also qualifies as an oversized item, bringing 35-50 extra in fees.

I bought my first Jerker desk in 2004 when there was no IKEA store in Atlanta. At the time, the desk was $99 and shipping was $89. I went ahead with the purchase and was glad to do it once the desk was assembled. Like others have said, these desks are heavy.

I had to drive about 20-30 minutes from San Francisco to Emeryville which is like across the bay. It was all worth it because everytime we go into iKea, we always come out with furniture!

How do you guys do cable management on some of these Galant desks that have to backing or cable catch in the back or anywhere to hide cables? That jerker desk that the guy has with the ikea bed is an awesome desk. I assume its no longer made.

How do you guys do cable management on some of these Galant desks that have to backing or cable catch in the back or anywhere to hide cables? That jerker desk that the guy has with the ikea bed is an awesome desk. I assume its no longer made.
Yup, the Jerker was discontinued in 2007. There's a wire frame called a "Signum" that attaches to the Galant and is designed for cable management. I need to get one for the Amazon jungle of cables under my Galant. :p

I have a Signum but too bad I have no idea ow to install it. You know how ikea instructions are, unclear and undetailed. My Signum is just sitting there, if anyone want to buy it, PM me for offer.

I'll throw this out there http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/ , its a great website that has desk "hacks" and other things.

dC0m You need to screw the signum into your desk, as a rule Ikea doesn't give you mounting screws so you'll have to find or buy your own. Thats how I did mine at least...

Then it should be as easy as screwing it under the desk, It took me less than 5 minutes with a power drill to mount.

Nobody in this thread uses keyboard trays?

I'm not a big fan of reaching "up" to the desk, though I'll admit I've yet to find a keyboard tray wide enough and tall enough for my ergonomic keyboard and my g5 mouse. I usually end up reaching up for the mouse, or ghetto-rigging a seperate "mouse stand".

-S

Mmm. Maybe I was spoiled. The old one at my apartment came with the place, and it was very sturdy.

I agree that a plastic or poorly-made one would be very annoying, especially for a big guy like me.

-S

My Frederik and Vika Amon Table from last Nov can be seen here.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1148966&page=83

I have moved it into another room and made a few changes. I am about to add some CCFL accent lighting to it this weekend so hopefully I can post in the new Workstation thread as well as this one. I also have the Signum wire management piece and a DIY Keyboard tray that you can see in those pics.

Here is my Fredrik, in my bedroom of my new(ish) house.

Actually an old pic, I have new speakers, ps3/360 are in the living room etc.

fredrick.jpg

REALLY old picture but same desk or sort of same setup...new side monitor though and im not in the closet anymore, haha

what is the largest version of these desks

i want the Cadillac...

are there any other preferred brands?

The Galant would be the largest IKEA desk because you can add as many pieces as you want. The only limit is the space/size of the room. I added a three foot extension to each side of mine and am considering another one on the right.

Some nice set-ups in here! I'll post mine once my pc build is finished. My dorm is pretty ghetto though, it's super old. :mad:

I finally got one of my Fredrik's in. The other is coming Saturday.

deskzb5.jpg

BTW, the crt on the right is my dvr screen.

Wow I never thought of putting the bigger shelf at the top like that. Man I feel stupid I might have to try that out to get some more shelve space since with a big monitor it's tough to use 2 shelves without making it seemed cramped.

How high are these desks? From floor to bottom of desk? The galant height is adjustable?
Also ikea's shipping on these is a joke!! 300.00$ to ship a 100$ desk :(

How high are these desks? From floor to bottom of desk? The galant height is adjustable?
Also ikea's shipping on these is a joke!! 300.00$ to ship a 100$ desk :(
The Galant's A and T legs are height adjustable.

Yes, the shipping costs are brutal.

Here's my $35 Dollar Jerker

Still have another side shelf under my bed

Desk11.jpg

I need to clean the wires up :D

most of you guys buy the desks online and pay the killer shipping prices:eek:
I really want one but shipping kills the deal.

galant bought mine at the Ikea store... 10 min drive, Atlanta ftw

right.jpg

center.jpg

left.jpg

hindsight, should have bought the dark(er) natural finish top

most of you guys buy the desks online and pay the killer shipping prices:eek:
I really want one but shipping kills the deal.

I think most of us who are getting them now are using craigslist to find them. If you are anywhere near an ikea people will be selling them, don't search for jerker because some people don't know the name of it so they'll just say ikea desk and I see prices usually $50 max including numerous shelves.

Did they just stop selling the Jerker or something?

I went downtown today to my local Ikea to check it out, but I never saw one. I forgot the name of the silly thing, so understandably the staff there was at a loss for what I was looking for.

Though I liked the corner models of the Galant, and some of the glass-desks were visually appealing, I don't think either is for me. Also, I may go for a Markus chair. I'm not wild about the arms on the side, and I just bought a bigger leather chair a few years ago at Costco, but that thing was just too damned comfortable! It was also a bit thinner, and the smaller arms make it easier for me to get up on my keyboard. My current one is very wide and heavy, with big sturdy arms.

-S

They stopped selling the jerker in 06 I believe. Has been replaced by the Fredrick.

They stopped selling the jerker in 06 I believe. Has been replaced by the Fredrick.

Thats correct. You can still find a used Jerker kicking around. Keep your eyes on you local craigslist to find em.
I just picked one up this weekend, in mint condition for $80 CDN. A steal for one of these desks. Now I see what all the fuss has been about.

I will post my pics as soon as I can do a bit of cable management.

Speaking of wire management!

For all those who have posted their Ikea Jerker set ups. Do you have any tips on wiring? I need to go about hiding my wiring and cleaning up my new desk.

I have seen lots of clean Jerker set ups here and was hoping to get some tips.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Back