If you could choose your 1 (!ONE!) favourite game....

The game I spent most my hours on? Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. I spent 2 years of my life on that game, however I think my favorite would have to be Half-Life and it's mods.

im gonna go by platform even if it gets me in trouble

old school arcade: virtua fighter, moon patrol close second (doot-doot-doo-do)
atari 2600: adventure
atari 8-bit (400, 800, 800xl, et all): ultima IV
c-64: some cowboy shoot em up game cant remember the name
PC: half life (the mods, CS, TFC make it a no brainer), although im sick of it now, i hope HL2 will breathe new life
Consoles: i cant stand consoles
Emulators: R-Type

as far as most time played, most times staying up all night, most time involved in tweaking hardware and config files to get that tiniest bit of edges, without a doubt, Counter Strike, via Half Life

Mine comes from the days of yore! Alternate Reality: the Dungeon for the C-64. First person dungeon crawl with various guilds that you could join depending on your alignment, and the al system actually worked on whether you were a cut-throat bastage or not. An Enchantress who would enchant your equipment in a ground breakingly deep manner for a game that came out in like 86. Just so far ahead of its time. I still play on emulator from time to time.

Shenmue...I loved my Dreamcast soooooo much.

Too bad about Shenmue 2, sold my DC soon after for GC and PS2.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road, would be my all time favorite game.....

Sam : I don't have anyone to call.
Max : Call me, call me!
Sam : You'd have to get cellular.
Max : I'm pixular! It's better than cellular!
Sam : That was bad, Max. Really bad.

Hehehe, come on.. you got to love it.... :D

I'm a long time lurker in these forums - and I still can't believe that nobody has mentioned my all time favorite - Wing Commander! For its time this was the best game evar - awesome graphics, great story, and a branching plot line - this is the only game where characters could die based on your actions regardless of the plot.

Super Mario World.

I've played that game, beaten it completely through around 30 times... but still is fun when i play.

I saw Chrono Trigger mentioned a bunch of times and altho I did remember owning and playing it back in the day I had never actually finished it (or gotten more than halfway thru... just wasn't very much into RPGs back then, other than Zelda which is more of an action-RPG)...

But man, I downloaded it this weekend and loaded up ZSNES (emulator)... Haven't been able to put down the controller since, heh. There's just something so awesome and timeless about it despite the aging graphics and whatnot. Can't wait to see what happens next in the story, spent the better half of yesterday hunting in 65,000 B.C. for armor. :p

cjb0906 said:
I'm a long time lurker in these forums - and I still can't believe that nobody has mentioned my all time favorite - Wing Commander! For its time this was the best game evar - awesome graphics, great story, and a branching plot line - this is the only game where characters could die based on your actions regardless of the plot.
Wrong. Planescape: Torment. Besides, I'm sure there are countless games where dying characters STAY dead. PST is just the only thing that pops to mind. Oh wait, there was that crappy rpg on the n64... I can't remember what it was called, but if a character died in battle, he was dun bar.

Sorry, not trying to deflate the wing commander argument or anything, just thought I'd point out that it's not the only game to feature permanent deaths.

edit: I think the n64 game was Aidyn Chronicles. but it was crap.

mario 3... i rented that game every weekend when i was little. too impatient to save up the money to buy it. i remember renting it cost 3.19 every week :) that game was the best

Over all fav game of all time

Persona For playstation 1

The plot kept me in awe, and it still does. (not in a Kotor twist way, but in a subliminal meaning like the matrix)

right now id have to say final fantasy 2 for SNES, the story, the music, the places, the characters.. cecil and kain are my favorite characters from any game.

hard question...

wizardry 7 or Heroes of Might & Magic 4 incl. BonusPacks

Wizardry 7 - Crusaders of the Dark Savant (simply the best RPG ever!)

PC
1/2 Life - Crossbow headshots
Full Throttle
Mechwarrior 2
Interstate 76 - quote, level where you have to save a school bus "oh God, the children, they're burning!..."
Duke 3D - when you could knock the pool balls around or go take a leak, that was freaking awesome
Vietcong - if you haven't played this you need to

Dang, hard choice.

I've been a gamer since Atari 2600, so lots to choose from.

All-time in terms of storyline and how involved in the game I felt, would be KOTOR...it felt more StarWars than Eps 1 & 2 do.

In terms of overall favorite....Halflife, no question.

Another vote for Mechwarrior2

Was my first real time playing on a computer and I was blown away. This was a tossup between mech and Interstate76. I remember when i got my first voodoo1 card and played I-76 in 3dfx mode. I was like :eek:

Battlefield 1942....greatest game I've ever played by a longshot. I can still hop on a server and frag for hours on end. It really is a shame the community is only a small percentage of what it was a year ago...a great game is dying a slow death.

Tough question, I have to go with Unreal Tournament. (the original) only because nothing has ever hooked me like that before. Hell I still play it from time to time.

I used to love the old puzzle games like The 7th Guest. Great game, just no replay value. My girlfriend (now my wife) and I used to sit and play them together. Good times.

Since when does "Virtua Fighter" count as old skool arcade? Imo, it was one of the first of the new school of arcade beat em ups (alongside Tekken). Street Fighter 2 was old skool (and of high quality too). A balance of playability that can still stand today.

And Wing Commander?????????? Wing Commander was awful! Look at the graphics... 2D sprites. My C64 utilized 3D in Elite and Starglider (picked those 2 games as they are the most similar I could think of) to decent effect (admittedly wireframe, but fill rate was never a strong point of the C64).

For a more direct copy of Wing Commander, take a look at X-Wing. Lucas does their thing of taking an existing game and redoes it in a Star Wars flavour (usually with better results). Everything that was in Wing Commander was in X-Wing, except in X-Wing it was better (with the exception of character deaths). MUCH better. Symetrical faces...wtf is that all about? :D

ColinR said:
Since when does "Virtua Fighter" count as old skool arcade? Imo, it was one of the first of the new school of arcade beat em ups (alongside Tekken). Street Fighter 2 was old skool (and of high quality too). A balance of playability that can still stand today.

And Wing Commander?????????? Wing Commander was awful! Look at the graphics... 2D sprites. My C64 utilized 3D in Elite and Starglider (picked those 2 games as they are the most similar I could think of) to decent effect (admittedly wireframe, but fill rate was never a strong point of the C64).

For a more direct copy of Wing Commander, take a look at X-Wing. Lucas does their thing of taking an existing game and redoes it in a Star Wars flavour (usually with better results). Everything that was in Wing Commander was in X-Wing, except in X-Wing it was better (with the exception of character deaths). MUCH better. Symetrical faces...wtf is that all about? :D
And once again, graphics set the standard for how good a game is. :rolleyes:

Heh, I dunno, I never digged Wing Commander much... I guess some remember it fondly because it was the one that really started the space shooter trend going for a while, it was there first so it's a nostalgia factor. It did the FMV thing halfway well too in an age when there was all sorts of FMV crap getting shoveled out and graphics weren't good enough to make in-game cutscenes very engaging as a way of storytelling. Based on the merits of the game at all I'd still say Lucas' were better, but not the best in the genre either.

re virtua fighter, being old school

well, to me old school is something thats almost 15 years old
i played virtua fighter in the early 90's whenever it is it exactly came out, i dont quite remember 92 maybe?

sure its not as old as pac man in the arcades, but virtua fighter was one of those games that had the perfect balance of graphics and playability...not like the ADD kid -driven designs today

Heh, I bought a Saturn years after VF had been playing in arcades (the second one was already out but it took a while to come out for the Saturn regardless) so I could play VF1 and Daytona... Much love for Sega's classics, they had that 'something' with regards to control feel that many games seem to lack now.

I think my favorite game of all time would have to be Eye of the Beholder II on PC. I used to play that game all day every day. Also gotta give it up for Final Fantasy 3 and any game in the Shining Series.

Thief. Best game ever, without a doubt. The story, characters, voice acting, cutscenes, gameplay, and sound was perfect.

It was also one of, if not the first game to introduce the use of shadows. Although they weren't dynamic like the ones we have nowadays, they played a vital role in allowing you to sneak past people.

Planescape: Torment - for all the reasons given above.

However, I would say Tie Fighter if the game I've spent the most time on, and still enjoy breaking out now and then. Also the only game I've ever been active in a online guild with (Long Live the Emperor's Hammer!!!)

Phantasy Star 2 for Sega Genesis

Oh the memories. I remember playing Dark Force and I kept having to revive my party members during the fight. I did a little happy dance when I beat that game. If ever a remake of a RPG ever be done, that one should be a picked.

I would have to say ABSOLUTELY Final Fantasy 7 (If this was the one with Serapth or something as the end dude).

I played that game hard-core for like 10 hours straight each day.

Chrono Trigger was great too.

Back