i7-7800x Delidding Catastrophe? Resoldering micro resistors?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Bense, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

After wussing out on following through with the delidding of my i7-7800x (socket 2066), Saturday night I pulled out the delid tool that has sat in my desk drawer since August, and I gave it a go. I was nervous and very careful. I read several of the guides that I'd found online, and watched a handful of videos.

The Good: I did manage to do exactly what the guides / videos demonstrated, and I removed the IHS successfully.

The Bad: While I was using a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and removing the glue/residue, on one of the corners of the chip, I managed to knock off two TINY resistors and a TINY black chip. In hindsight, the guides/videos that I'd followed must have been for socket 115x, or some other cpu that doesn't have these. Or maybe they did say it, and I just overlooked it because I'm an idiot.

Be that as it may, as of right now I've got the two resistors and the black chip carefully folded up in a piece of paper, and placed within a ziplock bag.

My question is; do any of you have any suggestions, or know of any place that I might be able to send this cpu + tiny black chip + resistors to, that might be able to resolder them back on?

Picture I took right before I began the delidding. It shows the chip + two resistors in tact.
    i7-7800x_delid01.jpg

The carnage
    i7-7800x_delid02.jpg

Another view:
    i7-7800x_delid03.jpg

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

2. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

With a magnifying glass, tweezers, a steady hand, and a fine enough soldering tip, you could likely put the two resistors back, but that chip is going to be a bear. This type of soldering is possible by hand but takes a great deal of skill.

One thing you'll want to be careful of if you do find someone to do the work for you - make sure you can identify without a doubt where each component goes. The resistors (as long as that's what they are) won't care about polarity but may be of different values, and you'll want to be sure they went back where they came from. The chip will need to go back in the same orientation too, being treacherously symmetrical.

This isn't something I would attempt yourself unless you're very comfortable (read- professional experience level) with a soldering iron. Just be sure that whoever you hire to do the job has the necessary info to put it back right.

Best of luck in your search. This kind of thing always sucks, sorry it happened to you! =(

3. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

As luck has it, my best friend messaged me today telling me about his new engineering job. Said that he spent his entire day soldering with his micro soldering station.

So that gives me hope that I will be able to fix this. Apparently, that black chip is an RFID chip that's not used on i7.

My next concern is that I may have knocked off one of the smds that is closer to the die. I will inspect tomorrow.

4. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

What type of delidder did you use?

5. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

$11 ebay tool. It was not the delidding tool that knocked it off. I noticed the chip before I began the process. I took extra care to ensure that the tool did not interfere with this chip. What got me was the q-tip / removing the adhesive material.
    IMG_20190204_030203_438__1000x1000.jpg

6. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

Booya:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...nchmarks-game-streaming-vr-premiere?showall=1

Okay, so next issue: It looks like I knocked loose a smd closer to the die. see bottom right of the die in the above pictures. Hopefully, I can get this resolved.

It's starting to seem like like the best option is to just delid the cpu, wipe off the die, and the die only. Then use one of these delid guards. It's not like laptop cpus have IHS.
    IceMan-Cooler-Delid-Die-Guard-cpu-open-Cover-Protector-Intel-LGA-2066-CPU-X299-Support-7820.jpg

7. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

This guy is pretty good at soldering small stuff, if you still need the assist. He seems to generally do old console work, but couldn't hurt to ask.

8. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

Solder paste + re- flow station should make that eate

jmilcher likes this.
  9. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

I installed it back in my motherboard just to see if it would POST. It did not. Lol.

I dropped it off at at my friend's place last night.

Here's a picture that shows the resistor near the die that I may have knocked off:
    i7-7800x_delid04__1000x1000.jpg

A closer view:
    i7-7800x_delid04_closeup__800x800.jpg

I'm nervous. :/

10. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

A reflow station and heat gun assembly would make quick work of this as long as you knew where the components went and the orientation of the microchip

11. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

He was able to get the two caps back on, There is in fact a resistor missing. He said he measured all them up there, and that they were all 5 ohms.

Where do I even order these things?

12. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

13. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

14. thuttu77

thuttu77 n00b

I have delid faulted i7-7800X it has 2 missing resistors and I did measure other resistors and got several values from them 51Ohm, 49Ohm and 99Ohm not single 5Ohm one stated above, it would be really helpful if some one could measure them to me marked in pic below.
    CPU_whole_marked_small.png

Attached Files:

15. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

Thank you for the reply thuttu77.

About two hours after my friend told me they were 5ohm, I sent him the URL that capt_cope was kind enough to share, and asked which size I should order.
    He responded: 'Already on it. They are actually 1uF capacitors'

Here are the two pics he sent me:
    7975011242809998053__1000x1185.jpg
    6602454453260799270__1000x1204.jpg

Also, he said that he does not have access to their equipment that he would need to reattach the RFID chip. I am less concerned about this chip, because I believe that the reason the CPU won't post is attributed to the capacitors that I carved off my $400 CPU with a machete.

If this thing actually winds up working, I'm going to crap my pants lol.

16. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

17. thuttu77

thuttu77 n00b

Bense Yeah those brown parts in your cpu are caps not resistors but I am looking values of 2 resistors on my CPU whicha are rounded with red in my pics.

18. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

Still waiting for parts to arrive from China. My friend said they may be in as soon as Friday.

N4CR likes this.
  19. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the update. I just de-lidded a 7980XE and your experience made me extra careful around those little devices, they are much smaller in person!

20. Bense

Bense [H]Lite

Surely the insight that this thread has provided you in ensuring that your astronomically priced CPU is worth ample payment.

Let me know when you are ready for my paypal address ;)

21. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Hah! Like I have two nickels to rub together after buying the thing! :)

But I know as a [H]ard Brot[H]er, the only payment you'd ask for would be a hearty "Thanks!" (y)