I want a new GPU for VR!

Hey thanks for adding. Both you and Decko87's opinions are appreciated. It is hard to find any actual user experience. AMD VR has zero reporting. I would love for a hardware site to give me real Nvidia vs. AMD deep VR benches but it appears to be more aloof then a unicorn.
Seems like a lot of people have had bad experiences with the card, so far aside from the idle power issue it's been a more reliably and stable card than RDNA2. I am having a new issue now that I have a TV plugged into it as well, the USB C port on my reference card is kind of annoying because I'm using a converter cable. I don't know if it compares favorably to the 4080 in VR, I'm guessing it doesn't but it still performs much better than my 6800 XT did, and it used to be roughly similar performance to that before the VR patch. I'm using a HP G2 fyi.

Seems like a lot of people have had bad experiences with the card, so far aside from the idle power issue it's been a more reliably and stable card than RDNA2. I am having a new issue now that I have a TV plugged into it as well, the USB C port on my reference card is kind of annoying because I'm using a converter cable. I don't know if it compares favorably to the 4080 in VR, I'm guessing it doesn't but it still performs much better than my 6800 XT did, and it used to be roughly similar performance to that before the VR patch. I'm using a HP G2 fyi.
I am glad your performance has increased since the patch. Thoroughly annoyed by the piss poor effort of any hardware site to do VR any justice with a proper benchmark comparison.
Although I do think an effort on AMD's part to show some #'s that would finally show them in a good light. But they haven't and don't seem to give an "F"!

Last edited:
I am glad your performance has increased since the patch. Thoroughly annoyed by the piss poor effort of any hardware site to do VR any justice with a proper benchmark comparison.
Although I do think an effort on AMD's part to show some #'s that would finally show them in a good light. But they haven't and don't seem to give an "F"!
Most hardware sites get money from clicks. PCVR is a niche of niche. There just isn't enough interest in PCVR to put the time, effort and money into producing quality VR reviews. The only site that done VR Benchmarks was Babeltech and that was a solo guy who did it because of his interest in it not because it was making him any money. He retired this year due to health issues and isn't sure if he will ever get back to doing VR reviews.

As for AMD, they aren't going to push VR performance benchmarks. All those benchmarks will show is that if you want the best VR experience go with Nvidia. It would be pretty silly thing for a company to push for something that shows how good your competitor is!!

The AMD RDNA 3 cards are fine now that they patched the problem with VR. It's just the Nvidia cards are still better. And Nvidia is much more active in the VR space pushing things like VRSS etc.

Yea it's unreal how little information there is out there regarding VR performance that's even remotely up to date. Day one reviews are rarely relative to actual performance after driver updates address release driver bug fixes and headset software updates correct odd issues that crop up with every new GPU generation. This generation really has been no different than the last it just seems that people are less tolerant of initial issues because GPU prices are at historically high levels. Most folks that have years of VR gaming under their belt understand that there will be problems and sometimes you just have to be patient enough to give the devs time to debug the very complex code that makes our fun a reality.

I’ve been running VR titles on my AMD based system for a couple years mostly without issue. It's been fine with nearly anything I wanted to play. The one issue being attributed to a buggy Pi Tool app that I need to run for my PiMax 5K Super but after reaching out to PiMax they provided a fix and it's been fine since. The headset kept de syncing giving errors and I initially thought it was an AMD issue since when putting a RTX 3090 in the system, the problem wasn't there. Turned out it wasn't that at all and it was the PiMax PiTool that hadn't been updated to properly recognize the RX7900XTX as a compatible display adapter. It kept giving me a red light on the headset and error 10600 which was a failed connection indicating some issue with the DP cable. That's not on AMD as much as it is on PiMax for not keeping their app up to date.

Anyway, I've been using a Meta Quest 3 since it launched and it's been flawless on my AMD system with a 7900XTX in it. Not a single hiccup, so moral of the story (at least with VR HMDs) is to buy a brand that has a large dev team behind it and the resources to keep it up to date.

Yea same here and it also affected the 4090's as well and those folks were raising hell with Pimax for nearly 7 months. The thread at open mr was near 500 posts long and the vast majority of people bitching about it were 4090 owners. I wasn't thrilled about it either but that's just the price we pay for our luxuries. At least we don't have to worry about when we might eat again.

I’ve been running VR titles on my AMD based system for a couple years mostly without issue. It's been fine with nearly anything I wanted to play. The one issue being attributed to a buggy Pi Tool app that I need to run for my PiMax 5K Super but after reaching out to PiMax they provided a fix and it's been fine since. The headset kept de syncing giving errors and I initially thought it was an AMD issue since when putting a RTX 3090 in the system, the problem wasn't there. Turned out it wasn't that at all and it was the PiMax PiTool that hadn't been updated to properly recognize the RX7900XTX as a compatible display adapter. It kept giving me a red light on the headset and error 10600 which was a failed connection indicating some issue with the DP cable. That's not on AMD as much as it is on PiMax for not keeping their app up to date.

Anyway, I've been using a Meta Quest 3 since it launched and it's been flawless on my AMD system with a 7900XTX in it. Not a single hiccup, so moral of the story (at least with VR HMDs) is to buy a brand that has a large dev team behind it and the resources to keep it up to date.
Thanks for the reply. This questioning isn't about a users experience being acceptable or meeting their expectations, and I am glad they are acceptable for you.
This is about an industry wide lack of VR bench-marking by anyone!
New GFX cards released. New HMD's released. ZERO BENCHMARKS! Also I must say it has less to do with the HMD manufacturer as you imply it does and a lot more to do with the GFX card company and their drivers. I think the AMD discussion in this thread is more then proof of that? Sucked then better? How the hell did that have anything to do with the HMD producer? Ridiculous!

I think the AMD discussion in this thread is more then proof of that? Sucked then better? How the hell did that have anything to do with the HMD producer? Ridiculous!

There was a problem with the latest generation cards not working with some HMD's. The mainstream headsets all worked fine. The issues that AMD had with VR were nothing to do with that. The reason that it was even brought up in this thread was because Learner's Permit was playing the AMD defence. It was ridiculous. Because we all know how it turned out. AMD's RDNA 3 cards had performance issues in VR that were all down to AMD and AMD solved those problems with the driver in July.

However the fact still remains, even with the driver update, AMD still lags behind Nvidia in VR and even more so in headsets like the Quest 2/Quest 3 that use encoding/decoding.

As for proper hardware reviews, You are still ignoring the elephant in the room. PCVR is too niche.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Thanks for the reply. This questioning isn't about a users experience being acceptable or meeting their expectations, and I am glad they are acceptable for you.
This is about an industry wide lack of VR bench-marking by anyone!
New GFX cards released. New HMD's released. ZERO BENCHMARKS! Also I must say it has less to do with the HMD manufacturer as you imply it does and a lot more to do with the GFX card company and their drivers. I think the AMD discussion in this thread is more then proof of that? Sucked then better? How the hell did that have anything to do with the HMD producer? Ridiculous!
When a company doesn't include support for the latest video cards as they are released how is that AMD's fault? PiMax did not update their required PiTool in order to properly recognize the new 7000 series cards and without that, the PiMax headsets simply don't work. That's not on AMD, that's on PiMax. For the first month I was forced to used my Meta HMD (the Rift S at the time) that worked just fine on my RX 7900 XTX. So if one HMD let you play your VR games just fine and the other doesn't because the developer didn't add support, that's AMDs fault? Ridiculous!

When a company doesn't include support for the latest video cards as they are released how is that AMD's fault? PiMax did not update their required PiTool in order to properly recognize the new 7000 series cards and without that, the PiMax headsets simply don't work. That's not on AMD, that's on PiMax. For the first month I was forced to used my Meta HMD (the Rift S at the time) that worked just fine on my RX 7900 XTX. So if one HMD let you play your VR games just fine and the other doesn't because the developer didn't add support, that's AMDs fault? Ridiculous!
Your cherry picking an outlier case point. The majority of performance IS and always will be based on the GPU DRIVERS. Case in point AMD. If a micro company finally complies with a GPU manufactures drivers that is good on them. But hardly an industry wide problem.
So as you say that is on PiMAX! Not the GPU drivers and ultimately your fault for insisting that a micro VR HMD company has the resources to spend past their inflated marketing.
:rolleyes:

There was a problem with the latest generation cards not working with some HMD's. The mainstream headsets all worked fine.
Wouldn't have been an issue if all mainstream headsets worked fine then, right? Honestly I don't even know what you mean by that because every purchasable HMD is pretty much "mainstream"?
Also where are you getting your benchmarks from mate? You state the "fact remains" that AMD sucks.
Well then? Where the hell are you getting such definitive and reliable benches? I mean really that's the point here. THERE ARE NONE!
Who is giving proper benches?
Link please :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your cherry picking an outlier case point. The majority of performance IS and always will be based on the GPU DRIVERS. Case in point AMD. If a micro company finally complies with a GPU manufactures drivers that is good on them. But hardly an industry wide problem.
So as you say that is on PiMAX! Not the GPU drivers and ultimately your fault for insisting that a micro VR HMD company has the resources to spend past their inflated marketing.
:rolleyes:
This is completely off base. It WASN'T the AMD drivers or performance that was the problem, it was the PiMax PiTool that was the issue. The PiMax 5K Super worked fine with my previous AMD RX 6900 XT that was in my VR system and Nvidia RTX 3090 that was in my Intel system. The PiMax PiTool also stopped working with Nvidia's newest video cards too according to what I've read. So by your nonsensical logic is that also their fault for expecting PiMax to keep their app updated? That's honestly one of the stupidest excuses I've heard. It's not the users fault a company can't be bothered to keep their damn software up to date. Maybe if a company went out of business or stopped selling a product then sure. But to accuse the users of being the ones at fault for expecting support on a currently active and selling product is some real idiot logic there.

This is completely off base. It WASN'T the AMD drivers or performance that was the problem, it was the PiMax PiTool that was the issue. The PiMax 5K Super worked fine with my previous AMD RX 6900 XT that was in my VR system and Nvidia RTX 3090 that was in my Intel system. The PiMax PiTool also stopped working with Nvidia's newest video cards too according to what I've read. So by your nonsensical logic is that also their fault for expecting PiMax to keep their app updated? That's honestly one of the stupidest excuses I've heard. It's not the users fault a company can't be bothered to keep their damn software up to date. Maybe if a company went out of business or stopped selling a product then sure. But to accuse the users of being the ones at fault for expecting support on a currently active and selling product is some real idiot logic there.

Sure there was some headsets that needed updating to work with the latest GPUs. But AMD had other problems with VR. AMD had driver problems with RDNA 3 in VR where the performance was way less than it should have been, sometimes even performing worse than the RDNA 2 cards.

But I do fully agree with the last line of your post. Varjo fixed the issue before it was even known as an issue. HTC, Valve and Pimax all delayed for ages before even acknowledging that there was a problem. Blaming the user for the manufacturer not updating their headsets to work with the latest cards is indeed nonsensical!!

Sure there was some headsets that needed updating to work with the latest GPUs. But AMD had other problems with VR. AMD had driver problems with RDNA 3 in VR where the performance was way less than it should have been, sometimes even performing worse than the RDNA 2 cards.

But I do fully agree with the last line of your post. Varjo fixed the issue before it was even known as an issue. HTC, Valve and Pimax all delayed for ages before even acknowledging that there was a problem. Blaming the user for the manufacturer not updating their headsets to work with the latest cards is indeed nonsensical!!
For clarity, my issue wasn't sub par performance, my issue was quite literally no performance at all. As in it just straight up didn't work with the new cards. This wasn't an issue isolated to just me, it was an issue for everyone who had PiMax and the AMD 7000 series cards and Nvidia 4000 series cards apparently. I'm not at all stating there was no performance issue with AMD cards in VR because clearly there was. However despite the lower than expected performance, the AMD 7000 series was working just fine with HMDs from larger manufacturers like Meta and Valve. For that time if I wanted to play VR I had no choice but to use my Rift S. Which is kinda hilarious because the Rift S is no longer sold and is officially EOL by Meta yet still to this day receives updates, compatibility fixes and full support from Meta. That's what I was saying when I said to buy from a brand that has a large dev team and the resources to keep it supported.

No idea why this upset people or why we are even discussing this further or why some insane people are trying to shift the blame to the people who bought certain headsets as if they are the ones at fault here. PiMax not working with 7000 series cards had literally nothing to do with AMD's lower than expected VR performance, it just simply didn't work at all until they could be bothered to update their app.

Wouldn't have been an issue if all mainstream headsets worked fine then, right? Honestly I don't even know what you mean by that because every purchasable HMD is pretty much "mainstream"?
Also where are you getting your benchmarks from mate? You state the "fact remains" that AMD sucks.
Well then? Where the hell are you getting such definitive and reliable benches? I mean really that's the point here. THERE ARE NONE!
Who is giving proper benches?
Link please :rolleyes:

Wait, your first sentence is stupid. Because something only affects the non-mainstream headsets it isn't an issue? Wow/ The 4090/4080 and the 7900xt/xtx aren't mainstream cards yet both had issues at launch. Are you telling me that those well documented issues weren't issues because the cards aren't mainstream? That's nonsense. The issue with the HMD's affected Varjo, Pimax, Valve and HTC. The problems in headsets that weren't updated basically made the headset unplayable. Stuttering and tracking lag.

Mainstream, do you even know what mainstream means? Even with broadest definition of mainstream, no VR headset is mainstream. The closest headset we have to something that could be called a mainstream VR headset is the Quest 2. And that's a standalone headset. Nothing else even comes close, no let me correct that, all the other PCVR headsets combined don't even come close.

But let's ignore the standalone figures and just talk about PCVR only. The Quest 2 is the best selling PCVR by far. And if you take out the Quest 2 from the PCVR figures you would be left with a very small number of headsets. Will talk more about this below.

Read my posts again, I never said AMD sucked. That's you making crap up. AMD are fine in VR now, it's just Nvidia are still better, especially on standalone headsets that need encoding/decoding like the Quest 2/Quest 3/Pico 4. AMD used to suck badly at VR. However they have come a long way since then, the RDNA 3 blip aside, and they have closed the gap between themselves and Nvidia considerably.

The reason there isn't more hardware review sites doing VR benchmarks is because PCVR is so niche. Can't you get that through your head yet? The numbers of PCVR users is tiny. If you go by Steam and are very generous, there might be 3 million PCVR headset users out there. And nearly half of them are Quest 2 users.

Since Babeltech is not doing VR anymore, the only real chance of getting any kind of benchmarks is from user reviews on forums, reddit, etc. and Youtube.

Where am I getting such reliable and definitive benches? I am VR enthusiast and have been for many, many years. I am in several different VR communities. I browse a lot of forums and watch a lot of VR related Youtube material. Flight sim and Car sim forums/You tube videos are full of great information when it comes to VR. You can find players who have compared the cards. Nearly always they prefer Nvidia. The Virtual desktop developer who would have spent a lot of time with both sets of cards says Nvidia is still the better buy for VR. Before Babeltech stopped doing VR reviews, Nvidia was better.

We are in good place right now. You can't really go wrong with either company for VR. If your use case is primarily VR, then it's probably best to go with Nvidia. In all other instances, buy the card with the feature set/price that works best for you.

Last edited:
Back