I think AMD is upset with HardOCP and the truth.

It definitely is an accumulation of what Roy Read has done, don't think Hector did anything to cut down R&D on the graphics side.

Gotcha. Do you happen to have any links handy? All I remember is that Rory wasn't particularly liked by the graphics guys, and that he favored the CPU division while cutting back heavily and disparaging the GPU teams. Makes me wonder what AMD was thinking in hiring him, with his IBM background (tbh when I saw that on his bio, the first thing that came to mind was "monolitic robot exec", lol).

Edit: all I could find with a quick search was this: So what did Rory Read do wrong?

Sorry Rory Read, nah don't have any links a summery he has done, just Q calls and what not.

Pretty much he was the guy that stepped AMD out of the high end, but because of choices he did with cutting down R&D which should be the last thing to cut when you are in cash crunch mode he did it right off the bat. Granted the CPU division, that should have been where they should have cut first, but he did all the divisions. He was also the guy that made the deal with GF, and that still haunts AMD till this day. At the time of doing that deal, it was actually good for AMD as was a one sided advantage to AMD with the cash it brought in, but now its a ball and chain as we can see.

What happened to AMD?

Here is a good summery of what happened.

Ah forgot about the mobile division that was him too lol, selling that off was short sighted, they lost a lot of good engineers and IP because of that.

Last edited:
Yep we haven't seen any really changes from AMD's product stack for a long time! Business wise I have to say Lisa Su is doing a great job, but products are just not there yet, we can hope Zen will fill that gap on the CPU side and Vega on the GPU side, but that's all they have brought to the table just a wish list. And so far all the wish lists we have seen are not up to par. What can marketers do with a wish list? Not much when their competitors are bringing a lot more to the table.

It was actually stupid for Roy Read to do what he did too, the graphics division was actually holding up AMD's CPU division for quite some time and then he cut R&D spending on it, it was just backwards thinking.

If I have to blame for the sad state of the current PC market, I would mostly pin in on AMD rejecting a merger with NV.

JHH at the helm of AMDvidia would be so much better than the exec jokers that the stupid AMD board would have come up with, and we would have likely see a strong AMD/NV vs another strong Intel/ATI instead of 2 strong companies versus a lone pathetic AMD.

Well with AMD and nV together if that happened it wouldn't have been a buyout, it would have been a straight out merger, and that would have put AMD with no debt well at least not the debt that happened when they bought out ATi.

Just bad management and ego that has put AMD at its current position. If that merger would have happened it would have put Intel in such a position, that doing 10% CPU updates wouldn't have been enough to keep them on top.

Thanks for the extra info, razor1 --

Combining what you stated/linked with that Anandtech thread I linked, the rough idea I got is this:

Rory Read = Surgeon
AMD = Patient

Apparently Read, while a pretty good executive with a proven (and impressive) track record at IBM/Lenovo, fumbled at AMD because he, while trying to open up new markets, cut back on the GPU division, and made a number of decisions that, while keeping AMD afloat for the time being, haven't really taken it off of "life support" as it were, thus handing over to Lisa Su a potentially explosive issue with the GPU division, which we are seeing the effects of now.

So, Read was a good surgeon (at least, in keeping AMD from cardiac arrest) but not quite good enough, it seems (massive GPU "treatment/mistake", missteps in attempts to broaden AMD's product range). Ms. Su has a humongous burden to take care of, and combined with what Kyle hinted earlier with Koduri's hiring and his leverage, it's almost (IMO) like the AMD "internal soap opera/drama" is more interesting than the products themselves, which have been modest, at best (with Polaris). Zen and Vega are, of course, the "wild cards" yet to be seen ...

I say why bother? Just look at available products and reviews that are done well like here and elsewhere and make a choice. Forget about who makes it, just get the best product for you and let your money talk and reward the better company (the one that is giving you more) your $'s. If one gets too judgemental over Marketing both Nvidia and AMD has had their share of dislikes you end up the loser in the end.

As for AMD really I think Zen is it, if it falls too far short AMD will probably just stumble along until point they can't stumble. Vega I doubt will save them even if super good. Unless a China company wants to buy RTG for 4-6 billion dollars which for some of their companies is chump change now with an contract with AMD for consoles/APU's/ embedded processors etc.

If I have to blame for the sad state of the current PC market, I would mostly pin in on AMD rejecting a merger with NV.

JHH at the helm of AMDvidia would be so much better than the exec jokers that the stupid AMD board would have come up with, and we would have likely see a strong AMD/NV vs another strong Intel/ATI instead of 2 strong companies versus a lone pathetic AMD.

Must admit, the first thing that came to my mind when I read your comment was of Jerry Yang rejecting Microsoft's $45 billion offer for Yahoo in 2008. And now we see Yahoo being valued at roughly 10% or less of that amount ... :(

If Zen is a decent product, doesn't need to be the best of the best, that should be enough to get AMD out of the hole (debt), and that would make them very attractive for a buyout. I sure hope it won't be a chinese company that buys them out lol. Apple, Samsung, are good bets too.

I say why bother? Just look at available products and reviews that are done well like here and elsewhere and make a choice. Forget about who makes it, just get the best product for you and let your money talk and reward the better company (the one that is giving you more) your $'s. If one gets too judgemental over Marketing both Nvidia and AMD has had their share of dislikes you end up the loser in the end.

As for AMD really I think Zen is it, if it falls too far short AMD will probably just stumble along until point they can't stumble. Vega I doubt will save them even if super good. Unless a China company wants to buy RTG for 4-6 billion dollars which for some of their companies is chump change now with an contract with AMD for consoles/APU's/ embedded processors etc.

Sad thing is, I could easily see the Chinese making major acquisitions in the tech market -- it's practically the last major frontier that China can still buy into that's a proven entity. Just look at guys like Wang Jianlin (richest man in China with a personal fortune of 33.6 billion USD), whose company has been on, essentially, an A&M buying spree in multiple diverse markets with a boatload of cash in his war chest (and he's not alone). China already has the manufacturing all locked up -- acquiring the software/architecture/"people resources" is the next logical step. Besides, it'd be a cheap way for the Chinese to enter in, and they have the cash to toss in spending/rehiring enough engineers/facilities/whathaveyou to work on AMD's software/hardware issues.

This is why I say marketing only works if ya got competitive products. Doesn't matter how much marketing ya do, if your product stack doesn't hold up people will figure it out pretty quickly and retailers, OEM's/system builders will buy their stock accordingly.

Radeon – AMD and Oculus Shatter VR Barriers With $499 CyberPowerPC VR Ready System

This is just crap marketing, this system comes with a rx470 and they are calling it vr ready?
The 1050ti should also be VR Ready. ASW (not asynchronous as far as I've seen) seems to be providing some interesting benefits. Designing a VR game around the capability doesn't seem like something to scoff at. Still wish someone would actually do a review on that with frametimes and IQ impressions. I know it's still early, but that feature seems somewhat fundamental to VR in the future. Especially more direct implementations, Doom being the only title that comes to mind with a similar approach. They already had the motion vectors and separate render targets to access occluded details.

Yep we haven't seen any really changes from AMD's product stack for a long time! Business wise I have to say Lisa Su is doing a great job, but products are just not there yet, we can hope Zen will fill that gap on the CPU side and Vega on the GPU side, but that's all they have brought to the table just a wish list. What can marketers do with a wish list? Not much when their competitors are bringing a lot more to the table.
I wouldn't quite say the product stack isn't there. Most of the hardware seems good, but the software needs some work. PSVR is arguably the best VR experience right now followed by Oculus. PSVR obviously takes advantage of async compute as do all the consoles. On the PC side we're only starting to see games with DX12/Vulkan and most of those have it tacked on. None of those were designed with VR in mind, save for maybe Doom which is still experimental.

As for AMD really I think Zen is it, if it falls too far short AMD will probably just stumble along until point they can't stumble. Vega I doubt will save them even if super good.
Zen already seems successful based on one significant feature. The encrypted memory which is somewhat indispensable for the VM market. Even if slower than Intel that feature will be a win for some time. Even if Vega sucks for gaming it will be significant to the enterprise markets alongside HPC Zen. The SSGs with Vega also seem like they will have good enterprise results.

I sure hope it won't be a chinese company that buys them out lol. Apple, Samsung, are good bets too.
I could see Microsoft as a possibility in an attempt to get back into the IoT market. Get APUs into TVs running Windows. Apple maybe, but not sure they have enough of a processor market to warrant it. Samsung would seem a strong possibility. They'd have TVs that could benefit from APUs and that FPGA board. AMD also has that new Dracarys board and Samsung certainly likes things that breathe fire.

The 1050ti should also be VR Ready. ASW (not asynchronous as far as I've seen) seems to be providing some interesting benefits. Designing a VR game around the capability doesn't seem like something to scoff at. Still wish someone would actually do a review on that with frametimes and IQ impressions. I know it's still early, but that feature seems somewhat fundamental to VR in the future. Especially more direct implementations, Doom being the only title that comes to mind with a similar approach. They already had the motion vectors and separate render targets to access occluded details.

ASW is available on all hardware from last gen and up, so doesn't give any advantage to either IHV.

I wouldn't quite say the product stack isn't there. Most of the hardware seems good, but the software needs some work. PSVR is arguably the best VR experience right now followed by Oculus. PSVR obviously takes advantage of async compute as do all the consoles. On the PC side we're only starting to see games with DX12/Vulkan and most of those have it tacked on. None of those were designed with VR in mind, save for maybe Doom which is still experimental.

It just isn't there not right now, everything is based on a wish list to come in the future, no two ways around it, no good CPU's, no real competitive GPU's not in all metrics. You can't tell me that AMD has any separate advantages that set them apart from nV.
Zen already seems successful based on one significant feature. The encrypted memory which is somewhat indispensable for the VM market. Even if slower than Intel that feature will be a win for some time. Even if Vega sucks for gaming it will be significant to the enterprise markets alongside HPC Zen. The SSGs with Vega also seem like they will have good enterprise results.

That won't matter if performance isn't there, at least for the server side. I have already asked my IT department on that and my friend's company Carrgil, and both have stated the same thing, it doesn't matter to them, so if cloud computing is not something most companies are not interested in, its going to be tough for AMD to break into if they don't have the performance.

I could see Microsoft as a possibility in an attempt to get back into the IoT market. Get APUs into TVs running Windows. Apple maybe, but not sure they have enough of a processor market to warrant it. Samsung would seem a strong possibility. They'd have TVs that could benefit from APUs and that FPGA board. AMD also has that new Dracarys board and Samsung certainly likes things that breathe fire.

MS won't get into "making" hardware its doesn't fit with their current capabilities. Their mind set is way to different.

Marketing targets a group - what is that VR spew target? The population for VR in the US from a PC is virtually nothing. I say just don't be fooled thinking that it was meant for you and I. VR is mostly a big future tech and not so much a present tech. Also Polaris and Vega predominately was developed in China (Why?)

AMD Radeon Vega 10 Coming Along Nicely - Raja Koduri Celebrates in China! - Legit Reviews

For Samsung, Microsoft or even Apple -> RTG would not be profit enough for even considering buying little alone to manage. They could in themselves invest into development etc. or extend their tech into since both Samsung and Apple both deal with graphics even though it is subcontracted out from other companies. If the profits was large enough they could start looking into PC's I would think. For Microsoft it would only be 1/2 of the tech for a console, they would need to continue a relationship with AMD or Intel for the other half. Just some thoughts.

ch is still experimental.

It's going to the same old story all again like x64 / IMC / HBM: being the pioneer but with little to no reward only for the tech to end up in the hands of competitors in short order.

ASW is available on all hardware from last gen and up, so doesn't give any advantage to either IHV.
The current implementation yes, but we haven't seen the effect directly integrated with a LLAPI. Nor have we seen anyone perform an in depth writeup on the feature. Theory being AMD, if using async, should actually have less input lag as they could push an asynchronous frame faster. The effect could also affect performance differently.

That won't matter if performance isn't there, at least for the server side. I have already asked my IT department on that and my friend's company Carrgil, and both have stated the same thing, it doesn't matter to them, so if cloud computing is not something most companies are not interested in, its going to be tough for AMD to break into if they don't have the performance.
For some markets CPU performance may not be as critical as security. Considering AMD's current share in the server market, any progress would be significant. I know someone whose company would definitely use the stuff I'll ask. He's the head of product development so would definitely know, assuming he could answer it.

MS won't get into "making" hardware its doesn't fit with their current capabilities. Their mind set is way to different.
They've attempted it in the past. It would be a rather bold move, but I could see them attempt to go vertical to gain traction. I'm still doubtful they'd do anything, but if they really try to push Cortana or Surfaces maybe.

The current implementation yes, but we haven't seen the effect directly integrated with a LLAPI. Nor have we seen anyone perform an in depth writeup on the feature. Theory being AMD, if using async, should actually have less input lag as they could push an asynchronous frame faster. The effect could also affect performance differently.

For some markets CPU performance may not be as critical as security. Considering AMD's current share in the server market, any progress would be significant. I know someone whose company would definitely use the stuff I'll ask. He's the head of product development so would definitely know, assuming he could answer it.

They've attempted it in the past. It would be a rather bold move, but I could see them attempt to go vertical to gain traction. I'm still doubtful they'd do anything, but if they really try to push Cortana or Surfaces maybe.
Microsoft would lose the integration since buying RTG would only get you 1/2 of the tech. This would be detrimental to Microsoft Surface Book future. They can't buy AMD unless they don't mind losing the x86 license meaning it would be worthless to buy. They need the whole APU which Intel already provides, if Zen and Vega in an APU is better Microsoft would just shift gears and maybe even work the next Xbox and Surface together (controller, play, VR/AR etc.)

The market for desktop discrete cards and mobile is shrinking and RTG has about 30% of it - not really big enough for someone like Microsoft to bother and loose money for however long. For example Microsoft Revenue was 26+ billion and profits of 5.6 billion for 2015 while Nvidia which has way more sells than just discrete desktop GPU's (big in HPC) had a revenue of 4.7 Billion with profits around +2 billion. Now we are talking about AMD RTG which is not even worth it for as far as I can tell for Microsoft or Samsung with virtually zero profits to begin with.

Only thing RTG has going for it is a future expected market and IP as in VR expectations in the next 10 years with bloated numbers and a design that will win. AMD making a VR headset and show casing it and a few other VR projects that will probably net them zero but it can be used to persuade potential investors. Of course when Kyle demonstrates a total lack of performance out of RTGs VR stuff (being goody two shoes in Raja's eyes but telling the truth to his readers) can make some weird vibrations emanating from AMD :p.

All conjecture on my part but their marketing is so off base unless you look at it in a different way. If Sony PSVR really sells well that will probably sell the IP and AMD may have some buyers so they can incorporate cheap viable VR headsets to a huge thirsty market with graphical devices supporting it. AMD selling RTG at a hefty price is an option - does not mean they will need to do that since keeping RTG and if Zen can penetrate the server/HPC market again it would probably be more profitable to keep RTG and sell big margin GPU's for HPC (I think that will be the outcome and hope that is the case). Still AMD has to leave their options open for the company.

Zen is it - last stand for AMD.

Last edited:
On the topic of MS buying AMD, yes it would be a mistake. But they can gain something by being partners while holding exclusive rights to certain hardware for their products. This would lend them some capability to compete with Apple on ultra mobile platforms all the while controlling their hardware/software integration.

Wether it's worth it monetarily, I have no clue lol.

Sad thing is, I could easily see the Chinese making major acquisitions in the tech market -- it's practically the last major frontier that China can still buy into that's a proven entity. Just look at guys like Wang Jianlin (richest man in China with a personal fortune of 33.6 billion USD), whose company has been on, essentially, an A&M buying spree in multiple diverse markets with a boatload of cash in his war chest (and he's not alone). China already has the manufacturing all locked up -- acquiring the software/architecture/"people resources" is the next logical step. Besides, it'd be a cheap way for the Chinese to enter in, and they have the cash to toss in spending/rehiring enough engineers/facilities/whathaveyou to work on AMD's software/hardware issues.

So, I was looking up stuff on AMD, thought it might be interesting to share.

This EETimes article is the most comprehensive I've seen on the licensing deal AMD concluded with THATIC.

Of course, the Alibaba deal with AMD for gpus in data centers is interesting. But Nvidia also has a deal concluded. Pretty grander than AMD's to be honest.

Marketing targets a group - what is that VR spew target? The population for VR in the US from a PC is virtually nothing. I say just don't be fooled thinking that it was meant for you and I. VR is mostly a big future tech and not so much a present tech. Also Polaris and Vega predominately was developed in China (Why?)

AMD Radeon Vega 10 Coming Along Nicely - Raja Koduri Celebrates in China! - Legit Reviews

For Samsung, Microsoft or even Apple -> RTG would not be profit enough for even considering buying little alone to manage. They could in themselves invest into development etc. or extend their tech into since both Samsung and Apple both deal with graphics even though it is subcontracted out from other companies. If the profits was large enough they could start looking into PC's I would think. For Microsoft it would only be 1/2 of the tech for a console, they would need to continue a relationship with AMD or Intel for the other half. Just some thoughts.

China will probably become the 2nd largest VR market soon. Nvidia and AMD are setting up VR in China as well.

AMD aims to advance cinematic VR in China and France by Jose Antunes - ProVideo Coalition

AMD has teams here.
Nvidia decided not to tell me where.
Now I don't know why AMD has stuff in China (beyond the reasonable reasons), but like your linked article states, AMD still has stuff in the U.S. but fewer in number. AMD Orlando is at 150 people, mostly RTG, and worked on Polaris.
Orlando office is critical to high-tech AMD, CEO Lisa Su says
AMD promotes Orlandoan to highest tech rank
Orlando graphics engineers play key role in AMD's rising star
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-cox-266b987
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-mantor-1a0650b

Edit: It also seems that Orlando has a hand in designing APUs including the Xbox designs.

Interestingly, EA Tiburon (Madden) is nearby.

Gets even better lol

Radeon – Higher Frame Rates and Smoother VR with Asynchronous Compute

They are saying Async compute is very important for VR experience lol, I don't think we have seen a single game that runs on LLAPI's that are VR games, so err how is async compute even a topic for VR so far?

Speaking of Async stuff, VR stuff in general, I found this interview between the lead architect and creator of LiquidVR, as well as in charge of AMD's
unified vision, strategy and architecture for current and future hardware and software as it relates to virtual reality and other advanced rendering paradigms.
(I can't tell if she still is), Layla Mah, and Yuval Boger. She talks first about APIs, including AMD and Nvidia, and then a bunch of other VR technical stuff...im not that smart. :\

But anyway, heres the relevant portion regarding the APIs and Async.

VRguy: You were a part, or actually the technical leader of the LiquidVR team, right?

Layla : Yes, at AMD I was the lead architect of VR and Advanced Rendering, and basically lead the VR project from start to product. I named the thing as well, so it’s always fun.

VRguy: Yeah, that’s good when you get to choose the name. We at Sensics, in our role in OSVR technical team, we’ve worked both with LiquidVR and also with NVIDIA GameWorks VR. I think that the functionality that both deliver are quite similar. You have to be able to detect an HMD, to put it into direct mode, to give high priority to the rendering task, to know when Vsync is on, and so on, and so on.

Layla : Yeah, I think that it’s natural, that they both evolved to become a mirror image of each other for the two IHVs. In the ideal world, it would have been vendor-neutral and there would have been one standard, but I think what happened was that we saw a need for the industry to fix these initial problems with the HMDs and each company took to fixing the problems as quickly as possible and standardization would have taken too long, so I think it just ended up happening that way as a natural evolution.

VRguy: Do you see any chance of having some kind of a standard in the future, or a common API to both and even to other vendors like in Intel or Qualcomm on the mobile side?

Layla : If that doesn’t happen it would be almost silly, because like you said, the features are largely the same. There are some implementation details that are different on each side, but standardizing them shouldn’t be much of a problem. In fact, if you look at the implementations, like Oculus, where they have their Async Time Warp and stuff, there are some differences, but there’s not a really good reason why it couldn’t go through the same path.

VRguy: Actually, what we’ve done with OSVR is created a standard interface for this kind of functionality, and I think we ended up implementing NVIDIA first, and then AMD. The implementation to AMD was really quick, and now an application developer can use the OSVR wrapper and we do the magic underneath. It’s not that big of a magic, you did most of the magic for us.

Layla : Exactly, your wrapper kind of proves how close they are. You would have had a much tougher time if there was big differences, and I think the biggest difference at this point is in the … if you want to do something like Asynchronous Time Warp, which is kind of a combination of the Async Shaders, and the Direct-to-Display functionality on AMD’s side, and also the late-latching, but if you want to do that, then you end up needing to use a Compute Shader on AMD, where you’re using normal graphic stuff on NVIDIA at the moment. That’s really the largest difference, I think.

Last edited:
On the topic of MS buying AMD, yes it would be a mistake. But they can gain something by being partners while holding exclusive rights to certain hardware for their products. This would lend them some capability to compete with Apple on ultra mobile platforms all the while controlling their hardware/software integration.

Wether it's worth it monetarily, I have no clue lol.
As long as that hardware is superior to others - it's not - plus they are able to maintain that superior position makes the investment poor since already it is barely breaking even. Plus it would only be the GPU and not CPU. Too costly to separate the two for something like the console.

Microsoft would lose the integration since buying RTG would only get you 1/2 of the tech. This would be detrimental to Microsoft Surface Book future. They can't buy AMD unless they don't mind losing the x86 license meaning it would be worthless to buy. They need the whole APU which Intel already provides, if Zen and Vega in an APU is better Microsoft would just shift gears and maybe even work the next Xbox and Surface together (controller, play, VR/AR etc.)
I can't see any reason to split RTG out of AMD atm. The x86 license is tricky, but it ultimately would need to be transferred. Intel simply can't stand as the only license holder without anti-trust issues.

The market for desktop discrete cards and mobile is shrinking and RTG has about 30% of it - not really big enough for someone like Microsoft to bother and loose money for however long. For example Microsoft Revenue was 26+ billion and profits of 5.6 billion for 2015 while Nvidia which has way more sells than just discrete desktop GPU's (big in HPC) had a revenue of 4.7 Billion with profits around +2 billion. Now we are talking about AMD RTG which is not even worth it for as far as I can tell for Microsoft or Samsung with virtually zero profits to begin with.
That's hardly the market I'd see them going after. Sure PC and discrete graphics are nice, but like you said the market is dwindling and there are far larger pieces of emerging pie to pursue. My move would be pushing XBs and embedded windows cable boxes using the AMD hardware to provide VR and home entertainment. Do battle with the FireTVs and Chromecasts. Not to mention the home assistant market that is currently booming. Gaming is great, but there is a lot more to the entertainment sector. Unseating Android and iOS in mobile is unlikely, the home media market is another story though. It's also a crapload of devices.

Only thing RTG has going for it is a future expected market and IP as in VR expectations in the next 10 years with bloated numbers and a design that will win. AMD making a VR headset and show casing it and a few other VR projects that will probably net them zero but it can be used to persuade potential investors. Of course when Kyle demonstrates a total lack of performance out of RTGs VR stuff (being goody two shoes in Raja's eyes but telling the truth to his readers) can make some weird vibrations emanating from AMD :p.
There's a lot more to VR than gaming. I'd expect video streaming to be a more significant revenue stream to chase.

As for Kyle's tests they are far to limited in scope to draw any conclusions. He only has a Vive and handful of indie titles that IMHO, and Carmack's, are a bit lacking in depth. If I'm shopping for VR, I'm not currently looking for a GPU upgrade, but the full package. Not saying it will change the outcome of the tests, but HMDs are the equivalent of different resolutions for VR. I'd much rather know which card can drive which headset the best. Thanks to ASW on the Rift, a best playable experience between HMDs and cards would be far more interesting to me. Not to mention a card that will probably choke the second I go for a next gen HMD rocking 120+Hz without any sort of reprojection. ATW, ASW, SMP, and any other software effects are the direction VR is headed. I'd much rather know how those perform on current hardware.

If Zen is a decent product, doesn't need to be the best of the best, that should be enough to get AMD out of the hole (debt), and that would make them very attractive for a buyout. I sure hope it won't be a chinese company that buys them out lol. Apple, Samsung, are good bets too.

Nobody (Besides the option of a Chinese company) will buyout AMD, specially not the 2 companies you listed. And even so, the Chinese company would kill the PC part the next day.

Last edited:

RTG is run into the ground and it began ~4 years ago. So in short to turn the ship you need ~4 years. And then you have to fight the "Intel of graphics". So any buyout would be for anything but the PC.

So that asks the question about consoles and MS. But that's a dead game too and here is why: ARM and Nvidia. The perf/watt delta is now so huge it cant be ignored, even at a higher chip cost. And it would force Sony´s hand. Even if AMD wins the next console, I doubt it will be x86 again. But ARM+GCN due to manufactoring limitations and cost. It has shown that for MS and Sony, going x86 was the same mistake as with the P3 733Mhz in the original Xbox.

One simply has to look at the ROI.

Last edited:
Nobody will buyout AMD, specially not the 2 companies you listed.
lol, I agree. Now if behind the scenes Intel is also involved for the x86 licensing making it viable for purchase then that could up the chances. I just don't see it happening and basically AMD is more on their own with joint ventures to tide the weather over. If Zen is good -> AMD will probably fare well, if not then I expect RTG to be sold off or attempted to be since AMD would not be able to put enough funds to keep it viable -> worth would steadily go down.

I am a little bit more opportunistic about RTG and future is all. Plus Nvidia is not a bed of roses either but very smart.

Last edited:
lol, I agree. Now if behind the scenes Intel is also involved for the x86 licensing making it viable for purchase then that could up the chances. I just don't see it happening and basically AMD is more on their own with joint ventures to tide the weather over. If Zen is good -> AMD will probably fare well, if not then I expect RTG to be sold off or attempted to be.

It doesn't really matter if you get x86 with or not. The one who hypothetically buys AMD have to fight Intel+Nvidia. What happened to VIA? Even with a big rich parent company behind it (Formosa Plastics Group). They had no ambition to fight Intel+Nvidia+AMD with good reason.

It doesn't really matter if you get x86 with or not. The one who hypothetically buys AMD have to fight Intel+Nvidia. What happened to VIA? Even with a big rich parent company behind it (Formosa Plastics Group). They had no ambition to fight Intel+Nvidia+AMD with good reason.
If AMD sells RTG - it could be AMD and Nvidia. There would be no reason for AMD or Nvidia to compete against each other. For example an AMD/Nvidia APU. Intel and Nvidia are not the best of pals in the end. How about Nvidia chipsets for AMD cpu's? There is potential

As for Arm and Nvidia the performance other than low power items is no match for X86 processor performance. Still if you combine enough of them together as in a server combined with a GPU could get interesting. If Intel gets the x86 power down arm could be in trouble. Intels Atom is getting rather good for low power.

If AMD sells RTG - it could be AMD and Nvidia. There would be no reason for AMD or Nvidia to compete against each other. For example an AMD/Nvidia APU. Intel and Nvidia are not the best of pals in the end. How about Nvidia chipsets for AMD cpu's? There is potential

As for Arm and Nvidia the performance other than low power items is no match for X86 processor performance. Still if you combine enough of them together as in a server combined with a GPU could get interesting. If Intel gets the x86 power down arm could be in trouble. Intels Atom is getting rather good for low power.

I think you forget how far behind AMDs CPUs are. Its not out of reach for ARM. We are not talking Intel x86.

Combining cores is a lot harder than you think. The consoles showed this, ARM products showed this and Zen will show this.

And again, picking x86 is a problem, not a benefit. Something you only do when desperate enough. For example no AA64 at the time. As a console maker you want to buy a design and manufactor it where you want. Not having to buy chips directly from the designer at an inflated cost.

What happens if AMD lose the next consoles for being too far behind? You know a company that's 2/3rds console and 1/3rd PC and 0 server. Yet spends everything on getting into server.

And what do you think RTG is worth today if sold off? Not that anyone would save it in terms of PC.

It turns the circle around to why we got this thread. Lots of hot air, no delivery.

Last edited:
I was a supporter of AMD because they had good hardware and at good prices, plus it didn't look like they were trying to dig their own grave. Now they are trying to rely purely on marketing and hope people buy their shit products based on fud. Makes it hard for me to support that, even though they still have good hardware.

pretty much the same for me.. always will be an AMD and ATi fan and a fan of what the brands represented but their management over the course of the last 10 years can suck on a blow hole for all i care. sad to see where the company has gone..

That theory doesn't make sense lol. Again, I'm not even sure you know what you are talking about here, if you are talking about QSR, it really won't do that much of a difference. Theories aside, just won't do it. its just like all of AMD's talks about async compute, it isn't a game changer, it will help out some but that is it. There are other things that will help them out much more, but their cards don't have any of those features yet, well then it all comes down to blowing their marketing horn to show they have something, and they really don't have shit.

Look you want a straight answer, the problem is for a hacker to get that far into the system, they have already breached the network, its already over, the only thing the Ram encryption might stop (a hacker good enough to get into a 10 layer stack network, which is pretty much what corporations uses anyways at a minimum), that little encryption won't stop them. Simple logic, if something can be made it can be unmade, doesn't matter what type of security you have, if the hacker has the time, tools, and know how to do something, they will do it, doesn't matter what is in the persons way. The most valuable data isn't in the ram itself anyways, its whats already saved on the network.

I'm not saying its useless to have, its always good to have additional security measures, but if the hacker has gotten to the point in the network, is already over. Cold boot hacks and things like that, really aren't the first choice for hackers either. Vulnerabilities are usually done through third party programs which have security holes or installed malware. A straight up hack through the network on cold boot up (the hacker has to know precise timing and what not do such a thing, is a thing of the movies)

So what companies cares about security wise, if the hacker can get in anyways, the ram encryption is just a fail safe which is not that important to them, its a nice to have and that is it. Also you can't encrypt everything either, there will be parts that the OS needs that just can't be done. If you are encrypting there must be a place where you decrypt right? Well there is where your vulnerability is.

They tried and failed because it doesn't work with their business model and end goals. And this didn't happen just once.

Surface they don't need it buy the hardware for it, they already are outselling Apple Ipad's, while making more money than Apple per unit and gross margins and that was MS's goals for Surface.

Last edited:
Nobody (Besides the option of a Chinese company) will buyout AMD, specially not the 2 companies you listed. And even so, the Chinese company would kill the PC part the next day.

Well I'm just saying likely candidates for using AMD's IP, I don't think they care about AMD's markets though and they will not stay in those markets.

Look you want a straight answer, the problem is for a hacker to get that far into the system, they have already breached the network, its already over, the only thing the Ram encryption might stop (a hacker good enough to get into a 10 layer stack network, which is pretty much what corporations uses anyways at a minimum), that little encryption won't stop them. Simple logic, if something can be made it can be unmade, doesn't matter what type of security you have, if the hacker has the time, tools, and know how to do something, they will do it, doesn't matter what is in the persons way. The most valuable data isn't in the ram itself anyways, its whats already saved on the network.

Yeah because hacks that use simple things as USB don't exists. It is an excellent physical protection form against intrusion from local hardware.

If hackers have access to a workstation or server to begin, they wouldn't need to hack. That is just the silliest statement I just saw you type up.

Do you even know what a cold boot hack is? A person must be there to cool the ram down to a point where the data is no longer volatile lol. Physically has to be there. They have to be physically cooling the ram down with compressed air or what ever lol, shit should have given the guys the keys to the server room then don't you think?

I think you forget how far behind AMDs CPUs are. Its not out of reach for ARM. We are not talking Intel x86.

Combining cores is a lot harder than you think. The consoles showed this, ARM products showed this and Zen will show this.

And again, picking x86 is a problem, not a benefit. Something you only do when desperate enough. For example no AA64 at the time. As a console maker you want to buy a design and manufactor it where you want. Not having to buy chips directly from the designer at an inflated cost.

What happens if AMD lose the next consoles for being too far behind? You know a company that's 2/3rds console and 1/3rd PC and 0 server. Yet spends everything on getting into server.

And what do you think RTG is worth today if sold off? Not that anyone would save it in terms of PC.

It turns the circle around to why we got this thread. Lots of hot air, no delivery.
Oh ye of little faith in AMD. Zen will be fine and could be quite good for performance/$. Also Vega may pack a punch as well but don't assume one way or another. Not as if 2-3 months is very long to see how this shapes up.

Oh ye of little faith in AMD. Zen will be fine and could be quite good for performance/$. Also Vega may pack a punch as well but don't assume one way or another. Not as if 2-3 months is very long to see how this shapes up.

My faith in a company is roughly equal to its R&D. Outside that I need hard facts.

I have more confidence in Zen than Vega. RTG botched Polaris nicely so this leaves me with much less confidence on the GPU side of things. I just keep seeing 1080 performance but "dat power consumption".

If hackers have access to a workstation or server to begin, they wouldn't need to hack. That is just the silliest statement I just saw you type up.

Do you even know what a cold boot hack is? A person must be there to cool the ram down to a point where the data is no longer volatile lol. Physically has to be there. They have to be physically cooling the ram down with compressed air or what ever lol, shit should have given the guys the keys to the server room then don't you think?
Wouldn't have to be remote hacks. Corporate espionage and state actors would need only insert a USB stick. One bad tech and your system gets owned. There are also forms of non-volatile memory showing up.

Wouldn't have to be remote hacks. Corporate espionage and state actors would need only insert a USB stick. One bad tech and your system gets owned. There are also forms of non-volatile memory showing up.
In which case this memory encryption is still useless, because physical access is present.

Not to mention, it was brought up in AT thread, that Intel does have something alike, so in relation to Zen it is pure hype.

In which case this memory encryption is still useless, because physical access is present.

Not to mention, it was brought up in AT thread, that Intel does have something alike, so in relation to Zen it is pure hype.
Is it even confirmed to be in Zen? But ye, the idiotic hype was easy to detect. And Intel products already support it in Skylake CPUs.

Intels paper.
http://eprint.iacr.org/2016/204.pdf
The Intel SGX Memory Encryption Engine | Intel® Software

AMDs paper.
http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn....MD_Memory_Encryption_Whitepaper_v7-Public.pdf

Example from my own CPU.
sgx.png

Last edited:
Back