I just got a doa Corsair 750tx? (rant)

eastpetersen

Limp Gawd
I am building a custom pc for one of the departments where I work. There are three of these machines that I am building. The first build I picked up an antec earthwatts 650, good power decent price. This worked fine in the first build, as the project went along my budget increased and we added a raid array to the computers so I figured I would bump up the psu since I could afford it and I picked up two corsair tx750's. I figured it would fit perfectly along with the build. We get all the parts shipped in, I put everything together, we go to test it, plug in the psu, hit the power button, the fan kicks on for half a second and then nothing, no hard drives, nothing running except the light on the board is on. My first thought is "what the heck did I break?" I pull out all but one ram stick, nope still nothing. Change the outlet it is plugged into, quadruple check the switch cable and such. Use a paperclip to power on the psu, it won't even power up the hard drives this way. At this point I'm scared I botched something up and fried the nice new i7 or something. I think ah ha I have another tx750. I unplug the 24pin and the 8pin, plug the new psu in, plug it into the same outlet as before, and voila it works, boots into bios and such just fine. So at this point I can safely assume it is the first tx750.

So what happened? I though corsair was the king, the thing was even in a velvet bag in the box, this is the first DOA psu I have ever received, and I have used a lot of psus, I have had psus die on me before, which I figured would happen because they were junk, but never doa, especially not heavy duty expensive ones. So now I have to start the RMA process with corsair and wait 1-2 weeks to get this thing back to me, meanwhile the department is going to be asking me why they're third pc isn't completed yet. Which in this case can be intimidating since they are the Detectives and get to carry guns around, and have a very valid reason for needing the pc online. This kills me because I normally personally use 3 plus psu's from a company before I recommend them for others to buy, cooler master did not pass this test, antec has kinda passed(one died after 2 years, which is out of around 20 power supplies), but in this case I have only previously used one corsair(400cx), so the 3 rule seems set since out of three one is dead.

Am I making too big a deal out of a dead corsair because every company has doa psu's or is this as odd as it seems to me? Also does the age of these psus matter. I had to buy through cdwg, dang you purchasing!, so I don't know how long these things could have sat on a shelf before they made it to me.

For reference
i7930
gigabyte ud3p
6gb crucial 1333mhz ram(forget the model)
3x wd 1tb re3 drives
40gb wd caviar
160gb wd caviar
hot swap drive bay
sony sata dvd burner
evga gt210
some random firewire card that was in the old pc,
tableau writeblocker
4 port usb 2 port firewire

Last edited:
DOA happens to every company's products, it just happened that you bought a doa corsair unit. Return it for another at the sotre (preferable), or RMA it through corsair.

You were just unlucky it doesn't indicate anything about that otherwise good Corsair model.

You;re making too big of a deal out of this. Find me one PSU company or any company in fact that does not have a DOA product every once in awhile and I'll tell you that you're full of BS.

SO yeah, sorry it happened to you man but these things happen.

Get over it.

There is absolutely no product out there whatsoever that has 0% failure rate. Even a company with the best QC has a 0.5% DOA rate. IIRC, CWT (the OEM Corsair uses) has a 1% DOA rate.

Even if a unit passes all of QC, it's still handled a lot going from assembly line to packaging, packaging to shipping, shipping to the port in China, China to the U.S., distribution center to the retailer, retailer to the customer. It AMAZES me that more parts don't come loose within a PSU during all that B.S.

Why does everyone *specifically* have to reiterate the exact same thing in every post?

Well, this is one of the reasons its cheaper to build your own computer than buy a prebuilt. When things go wrong you deal with the RMA's and troubleshooting instead of having someone else check it all over first and then charge you for it.

Why does everyone *specifically* have to reiterate the exact same thing in every post?

Exactly. I just dont get why people have to reiterate the same thing. Think for yourself people.

:D

But yeah, Corsair is one of the top manufacturers out there in terms of quality IMO. I team all it takes is one busted solder and a PSU can kick the bucket.

So what happened? I though corsair was the king, the thing was even in a velvet bag in the box

Shit happened, because shit happens.

Sorry, but this just made me laugh.

When I bought my Corsairs, and I saw the velvet bag, I was pissed as I knew I had just paid for that extra meaningless packaging.

But I wasn't aware, although perhaps Corsair indeed already was, that there are such superficial buyers such as yourself that will actually be impressed by this.

There was no need to read your post beyond this comment. It should have been at the beginning of your post to spare everyone the time.

Thanks for your assumption of my choice of psus being based on velvet bags, I was simply saying they put all the bells and whistles on this thing and it still shows up at my cubicle doa, The point of this post was merely that I am quite frustrated that despite paying the premium price for the psu I still get a doa psu and what would cause this, and everyone on here has been touting Corsair as perfect I just found it odd that my second psu from them was doa. From the sound of the comments this is just a fluke and most likely was thrown around on the way over from China a bit too much.

I purchased a TX650 before my TX950 that worked initially, but ran so fricken hot it wasn't even funny... Two days after being in service it died. Sent it back and upgraded to the TX950...

At this point I just bought a AX1200 to replace the TX950 as it is going in my sons rig. Corsair has really impressed me and most reviewers with thier top-of-the-line products, but as with anything, you get bad units... I think thier premium products (AX-series, HX-series, TX950) are better QC'd because they don't have the volume of the lower-end stuff (like the TX650/TX750/TX850), thus don't want the heavy RMAs they see from the lower-end products...

That was one of the rationales behind buying a AX1200, as it is a flagship product of a whole new lineup, the first few batches are going to be QC'd to the teeth to insure it doesn't get a bad rap to begin with because of bad units. The fact it is a new OEM for Corsair even makes more so the case. Hell, with the expense spent on all the components of the system it is in, it was easy to justify the "upgrade" to a brand new top-of-the-line product... I will say I am becoming more and more of a Corsair faithful as I am running a H50, 12GB of XMS3-1600, now the AX1200... About the only thing missing is running in a 800D or a 700D chassis (my Coolermaster Stacker 830 fits my desk too well to give it up with great cooling to boot)...

I was impressed by the velvet bag. Thought it was pretty cool and still use the bag for stuff. Wouldn't have mattered to me one way or the other if it was there but I though it was a cool touch.

I will say this, Corsair's RMA process was quick and painless the one time I had to RMA a dead HX750 from a freak lightning storm. The only hard parts were waiting for them to receive my unit, and waiting for them to send me back a ***brand new*** one. :eek: So while it definitely isn't fun waiting for replacements to arrive, Corsair strikes me as a company that will take care of you if you let them.

In your situation, if it were me, I would buy a spare PSU just to have in your possession in the event stuff like this happens. For one, you can always have a known good unit to test with, and also you never know when it may come handy in the future when piecing together another system. Plus it will get you up and running until the replacement unit arrives. Sure, you may be out a few bucks now, but the reassurance is worth it in the long run. :)

It interests me that while apparently you are IT support or at least building PC's for an organization you don't have a spare PSU on hand at all times for covering this kind of situation (or at least your own ass). Budgets are tight etc. /shrug

I suggest you use this situation for justificaion for budget/PO/whatever to procure and keep a spare power supply sufficient to handle any desktop you are responsible for, on hand. Might want to pick up a generic HD and stick of memory while you are at it. Write it up. Anyone complains again explain the situation to them. "Get me some spares or everytime there is a failure or DOA there is going to be a problem and there is nothing I can do about it in a timely manner". If you boss cant see the need then refer eveyone that bitches to him and when he bitches keep reminding him of your request for spares. Piss poor management if they cant see the point. (or the PC's are not needed half as badly as they are making out if someone cant shake $300 loose for some spare computer parts).

Keep in mind, the TX is the cheap 750W offered by Corsair.
I looked on newegg just now, and in the 750W category there are only 4 PSUs that are cheaper than the TX-750 and many more that are more expensive.

I'm not saying that the TX is a poor supply, I have two of them, but it is not by any stretch expensive in the 750W category despite the cool velvet baggie.

Any company can have a product failure, it just isn't very common in PSUs right out of the box.

I had an EVGA X58 SLi MB arrive to me DOA.....was I pissed? yep......but EVGA quickly made me right.:p

Back