I hate you, Newegg.

A little update from NJ warehouse.
The last orders that i recieved from there made me change my mind. Im not gonna order anything from newegg anymore.

- 2-3 days processing time
- wrong items in the box and i have to pay for return shipping and wait 4 weeks till i hopefully get the right item back ?? you gotta be kidding.
- really lousy packaging, if at all you find a piece of brown packaging paper in the box, but normally they just throw the item in the box without any packaging material at all.
- the cardboard boxes looked like they were used before

so for anyone else living at east coast and reciving their stuff from NJ warehouse, think twice.

If they sent you the wrong items, Contact them, I am sure they'll give you a free return label, As it was their fault for incorrectly sending wrong items. They did that for me when I got something messed up.

If they sent you the wrong items, Contact them, I am sure they'll give you a free return label, As it was their fault for incorrectly sending wrong items. They did that for me when I got something messed up.
Yep, don't bother trying to use the automated tools with Newegg in cases like this. Call/live chat with them and they will give you a return shipping label. Also, you should be able to have them cross ship the correct item.

Yep, don't bother trying to use the automated tools with Newegg in cases like this. Call/live chat with them and they will give you a return shipping label. Also, you should be able to have them cross ship the correct item.

The NJ warehouse screwed up on the case I ordered, they forgot a side panel.

I used the live chat, 5 minutes later I had a $10 credit and they were shipping the side panel.

I love newegg.

I am sure neweggs customer service is great. So there is no question about that. I do agree though their return policy is just pathetic, I stopped shopping at newegg a while ago and I must admit that 6-7 years back that was the only place I bought stuff from. They have a different return policy on different categories now. Almost all the stuff is no refund and replacement only.

I am done with the rotten egg as well. 5.99 shipping for an sli bridge that cost 3 bucks and came in a giant box filled with peanuts was the straw that broke the egg for me. Microcenter all the way for me. Now they have really stepped it up for customers in the past year or so instead of cracking.

I am done with the rotten egg as well. 5.99 shipping for an sli bridge that cost 3 bucks and came in a giant box filled with peanuts was the straw that broke the egg for me. Microcenter all the way for me. Now they have really stepped it up for customers in the past year or so instead of cracking.

i would be happy if i would find at least one packaging peanut or any kind of packaging material in my boxes...

item was OEM PSU and time sensitive, i simply got no time to argue with neweggs customer service or wait on hold.
If they are not reliable anymore that i get what i order in the time i order with safe packaging, then they are not worth it anymore to do business with.

item was OEM PSU and time sensitive, i simply got no time to argue with neweggs customer service or wait on hold.
If they are not reliable anymore that i get what i order in the time i order with safe packaging, then they are not worth it anymore to do business with.
So you have time to bitch on an internet forum where it doesn't do any good, but can't spend two minutes trying to talk to someone who can help with the live chat? Newegg, like all internet retailers is staffed by humans which sometimes make mistakes. However, Newegg unlike many online retailers will fix the issue without needing to fight them. If it is time sensitive, I am sure they would even send out the new item with upgraded shipping.

I dont know about you guys, but I live in the Philly area and absolutely pray every time that my order is shipped from their Secaucus NJ location. I've never had a damaged item due to bad packaging from them. If my order is placed early enough in the day theres a very good chance, if shipped from NJ, that I can get it the very next day.

you mean a small ticket item was less expensive than the actual shipping for it...? goodness no...Oh.eM.Gee...!!!

so what you're saying is that Microcenter is much better in your opinion because their SLI bridge is $12, thus making it more expensive than the shipping they charge (also $5.99)...?

gotcha, that really makes a lot of sense...

:confused:

There is no such thing as free shipping anywhere. The costs are always built into the pricing one way or another. They can't help your sales tax issues, complain to your state. They need to have warehouses somewhere in this country. Their return policies are really no different anywhere else. The fact that people think they should be entitled to a one year refund policy on computer equipment is flat out absurd if you ask me.

Their pricing no longer is as good as it used to be, but they still have good support and their prices aren't bad either. The biggest difference I've noticed is that their pricing is more balanced. You used to be able to find very good deals that have now become very rare.

This is correct...there is no such thing as free shipping. According to our UPS rep, companies like this pay only a fraction of what it costs other smaller retailers due to the volume they ship, but it still isn't free.

Sales tax can't be avoided in some states, everyone has to actually have a warehouse somewhere here unless you shop with someone that ships from asia.

Expecting a 1 year return policy is a bit much. We only do 15 days from when you receive the item, a lot like other small companies. For us, if you send something back for replacement, not only do we have to lose money on the shipping to send you another item, we're probably losing money again to ship it back to the manufacturer to get the credit. If you're looking for a more long-term replacement option, then do your homework and buy from companies that have great warranties and ship out replacements quickly. Logitech is awesome in my experience, as is Scythe. EVGA has taken care of me well also.

Contrary to what some of you guys might think, this industry has LOW profit margins on a lot of items(heatsinks, fans, cpu, etc) compared to others. I'd be lying if I said that we didn't sell and ship some stuff at a break even price or a loss.

As far as the 15% restocking fee, I totally understand. To receive something back, verify the contents, issue a refund, put it back on the shelf, and have someone adjust the inventory numbers takes time. Time is money.

I think some people assume that companies just have huge profit margins and should have no problem with doing whatever they want. I can tell you as a fact that this industry has LOW margins compared to a lot of others.

This is correct...there is no such thing as free shipping. According to our UPS rep, companies like this pay only a fraction of what it costs other smaller retailers due to the volume they ship, but it still isn't free.

Sales tax can't be avoided in some states, everyone has to actually have a warehouse somewhere here unless you shop with someone that ships from asia.

Expecting a 1 year return policy is a bit much. We only do 15 days from when you receive the item, a lot like other small companies. For us, if you send something back for replacement, not only do we have to lose money on the shipping to send you another item, we're probably losing money again to ship it back to the manufacturer to get the credit. If you're looking for a more long-term replacement option, then do your homework and buy from companies that have great warranties and ship out replacements quickly. Logitech is awesome in my experience, as is Scythe. EVGA has taken care of me well also.

Contrary to what some of you guys might think, this industry has LOW profit margins on a lot of items(heatsinks, fans, cpu, etc) compared to others. I'd be lying if I said that we didn't sell and ship some stuff at a break even price or a loss.

As far as the 15% restocking fee, I totally understand. To receive something back, verify the contents, issue a refund, put it back on the shelf, and have someone adjust the inventory numbers takes time. Time is money.

I think some people assume that companies just have huge profit margins and should have no problem with doing whatever they want. I can tell you as a fact that this industry has LOW margins compared to a lot of others.

It's not about margins, it's about overall profitability. Some industries have high volume at lower margins, others have low volume and high margins. Your business model shouldn't dictate what kind of service you receive, I except the same level of service regardless of if I'm buying groceries or purchasing a new car.

It's not about margins, it's about overall profitability. Some industries have high volume at lower margins, others have low volume and high margins. Your business model shouldn't dictate what kind of service you receive, I except the same level of service regardless of if I'm buying groceries or purchasing a new car.

really...? then prepare to be disappointed, expecting the same level of service from someone who is making minimum wage (or close to it) and a professional making probably at least two or three times as much (to be generous) is ridiculous...

should it be that way...? of course not, but it's the reality we live in...

Last year I bought a hard drive from Newegg. Put it in my system as part of a RAID and by the time the desktop showed up the hard drive was dead. I found the same drive locally at Microcenter for the same price. So I picked one up.

Returning the dead drive to Newegg was a nightmare. I had to fight with them to keep from have to pay a restocking fee, I was told they'd wave it "this one time". I had to pay shipping back.

I only get stuff from Newegg if it's the best deal you can possible get for an item now. I've built a few computers from parts I bought from them in the past.

I have always had very good luck with newegg. I have always recieved the best service and enjoyed good prices on items. The shipping is always cheap or free and always fast. I just ordered those polk floor standers for $205 shipped for the PAIR. Kick ass deal, got them in ONE day and I am in love with them.

I actually ordered another set for my father. Both of them showed up damaged, I almost flipped a shit but I called up newegg. Since it was a sale item and I expressed my concern that in 3-5 days to process the claim before they sent me new ones they might be sold out. Newegg instantly refunded me for the first set and let me place a new order and gave me free overnight shipping on the next set. So I actually paid $5 less and had them the NEXT day. UPS came and got the old ones and had to reimburse the Egg.

Sure, you can sometimes find an item cheaper elsewhere. But a lot of times you can get it cheaper at newegg too. I have also bought at amazon and buy.com much more in the past year or two as well. However, if the egg has something I want at a good price I will not hesitate one second to place the order. If there was no price competitions we would all pay out the ass for everything anyways.

Last year I bought a hard drive from Newegg. Put it in my system as part of a RAID and by the time the desktop showed up the hard drive was dead. I found the same drive locally at Microcenter for the same price. So I picked one up.

Returning the dead drive to Newegg was a nightmare. I had to fight with them to keep from have to pay a restocking fee, I was told they'd wave it "this one time". I had to pay shipping back.

I only get stuff from Newegg if it's the best deal you can possible get for an item now. I've built a few computers from parts I bought from them in the past.

to condemn the 'egg for common business practices is a bit over the top imo and hardly qualifies as a "nightmare"...

for every one of these "nightmare" posts there are hundreds of JIMP posts about people getting great deals, excellent customer service and being extremely satisfied with their purchase, you also have to consider that for every legitimate return like yours they have to deal with people who return things for other (less legitimate) reasons, that's what drives them to set some of the policies they have, just as stated earlier, testing parts to make sure that they're really broken, restocking a warehouse and then shipping out a replacement cost them time and $, not to mention that the defective parts aren't really their fault, so then they have to deal with the manufacturer as well...

I've built two of my own systems and a few others for my buddies after buying all the pieces from newegg. My experience with them has been great with a few but's. Their packaging can be quite shitty sometimes. No peanuts, no padding etc for HDD shipments once or twice. Received a few faulty mobo's, but RMA went very smooth with no hassle. My first purchase from them was after a nightmare experience with TigerDirect some 5+ years back. Since their warehouse is in NJ, I usually get very fast shipping times. Only problem I have with them is their prices, and the constant fluctuating. It used to be great, but over the last year or two, I have noticed that their sales just flat out suck balls. I bought one of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD's from newegg during a sale. Price was down to $70 shipped. After the sale was over, the price stayed there, and I think it's still the same. TD seems to be crushing them regularly with the weekly sales.

I have ordered from a ZZF, TD, NewEgg, and Amazon, and they all have their ups and downs, but I just tend to buy from who ever has the best prices. I will continue to check newegg for prices and just generally do my research and system building, but at the end of the day, I will be buying from the shop with the lowest cost.

I wonder how long it will take before NewEgg starts to lose enough of it's customer base to make it realize that it can't keep gouging its customers. Maybe eventually they will return to their former glory as the #1 online place to build a PC.

sad face.

I've built two of my own systems and a few others for my buddies after buying all the pieces from newegg. My experience with them has been great with a few but's. Their packaging can be quite shitty sometimes. No peanuts, no padding etc for HDD shipments once or twice. Received a few faulty mobo's, but RMA went very smooth with no hassle. My first purchase from them was after a nightmare experience with TigerDirect some 5+ years back. Since their warehouse is in NJ, I usually get very fast shipping times. Only problem I have with them is their prices, and the constant fluctuating. It used to be great, but over the last year or two, I have noticed that their sales just flat out suck balls. I bought one of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD's from newegg during a sale. Price was down to $70 shipped. After the sale was over, the price stayed there, and I think it's still the same. TD seems to be crushing them regularly with the weekly sales.

I have ordered from a ZZF, TD, NewEgg, and Amazon, and they all have their ups and downs, but I just tend to buy from who ever has the best prices. I will continue to check newegg for prices and just generally do my research and system building, but at the end of the day, I will be buying from the shop with the lowest cost.

I wonder how long it will take before NewEgg starts to lose enough of it's customer base to make it realize that it can't keep gouging its customers. Maybe eventually they will return to their former glory as the #1 online place to build a PC.

sad face.

um, so who is #1 now...? my guess would be that it's still Newegg...

it is for me...

um, so who is #1 now...? my guess would be that it's still Newegg...

it is for me...

Yes, but just barely. I shop a LOT more at TigerDirect, Microcenter, SVC, Ewiz, FrozenCPU, and Directron now. I rarely trust Newegg to have the best deal or fastest shipping.

Strange I read this thread today. Go and add a few things to my NewEgg cart today...

1) USB 3.0 / SATA III PCIe x4 card from ASUS.
2) 3x 120mm Noctua fans
3) 1x 140mm Noctua fan

NewEgg: $141.08
Amazon: $114.08

...now for the moment I'm in CA, which means sales tax...so NewEgg...well...cracks...

NewEgg: $152.05
Amazon: $114.08

All in all if I buy this stuff I'll save $40 going with Amazon.

Considering NewEgg's customer service completely side stepped a problem that I had with a certain company and the 100% failure rate I had with their case fans, and completely tried to beat around honoring their 1 year replacement guarantee that I had with them. Yeah, karma's a bitch isn't it.

Too bad. I was going to purchase a nice full tower Lian Li next month too (maybe) and now I think I might go with another vendor that has the same case for $35 less.

At least in TX, in general, NE > TD due to no tax from the former and 8.25% tax from the latter.

At least in TX, in general, NE > TD due to no tax from the former and 8.25% tax from the latter.

What about Amazon? They might not focus on electronics like NE or TD, but I have been discovering recently that NewEgg is not that great anymore. Actually I stopped ordering both hard drives and solid state drives from NewEgg too, regardless of what kind of deal it is, because NewEgg's packaging still sucks in that department.

Now for big ticket purchases wheere I want to stretch it out over 12 months with no interest NewEgg has a pretty sweet deal. But I want to say that for the most part outside of those purchases I do tend to shop elsewhere on price hunts first.

What about Amazon? They might not focus on electronics like NE or TD, but I have been discovering recently that NewEgg is not that great anymore. Actually I stopped ordering both hard drives and solid state drives from NewEgg too, regardless of what kind of deal it is, because NewEgg's packaging still sucks in that department.

Now for big ticket purchases wheere I want to stretch it out over 12 months with no interest NewEgg has a pretty sweet deal. But I want to say that for the most part outside of those purchases I do tend to shop elsewhere on price hunts first.
Well, while I do frequently shop at Amazon, I don't really look at them for tech purchases. But I usually do a price check there along w/ the usual Web sites.

I've gotten luck w/ packaging from NE, but I agree their packing is mediocre at best and sometimes downright scary at worst.

We spend about $3-5k/mo on biz.newegg.com and have got to say the people in their billing department are just flat out stupid. Six months later and our billing address is still not fixed properly. Half of our invoices go to our physical address and the other half to our P.O. box. We also had them ship the wrong item a few times, and on a couple occasions forget a few things. We ordered a 10 bay eSATA box and they sent the wrong one with out the port multiplier. We also ordered a dozen drives with it and they sent 10, the kicker was even more sad. The unit they sent was an 8-bay unit, so they just flat out mixed up everything on that one. Other than that they are pretty solid if you never have to interact with a human to get anything taken care of.

I'm sure it will get sorted out on their end when invoices stop getting paid. As we don't even have a mailbox at the physical address anymore. Our USPS mail forward will eventually expire, they will obviously jump right up and fix it if they want their money. Because PC Mall, CDW, PC Nation, Insight and Dell all want our money just as bad. So if they cant sort it, they can enjoy a $30-$60k/yr lost client.

I agree, Their packaging isnt that great. My last HD order was for a 1.5TB drive and it came w/ a free 15ft USB3.0 cable. While the cable of course was in a bag, The drive was in a cardboard box, Sitting at the bottom of the box, With NO peanuts or nothing around it. Luckily it was fine (I did breath a sigh of relief it was ok). There was brown packing paper in the box (If you wanna call it a box, It was battered bigtime), But not very much.

On the positive side, I once ordered a side panel for the Lian Li PC-A70 case and UPS screwed it all up. It was bent on 1 side and wouldnt fit correctly, But I did tell the UPS guy that this looks damaged and I would be contacting the seller. So I contacted NE and told them of the issue and they gave me a free return label and asked if I wanted a replacement, I told them no and they gave me a full refund (Once they received the panel) and no restock fee since it was damaged and gave me a $20 credit. I thought that was pretty nice of them to say the least.

I've been fortunate that all the drives I've ordered from NE have worked great, But I do wish they would package things up better.

I wish their shipping costs for small items (cables etc) wasnt higher than the actual item purchased, But I guess they gotta make $ some how ;)

Gah, NewEgg does not even have some of the newer Lian Li cases in stock. The A77F is $35 more than some of the competition and they don't even have the 9F that several other vendors already have.

Newegg prices have become bad. I only buy from them if its a specialty item that I can not get from Frys near my house or something just released. Also you can say that sending an item back is hassle free, but what is more hassle free than driving up the street and just picking up a new item the same day without a restocking fee.

Alright, I take it back just a little bit. NewEgg does have the lowest price on one item if you discount the fact that Amazon is $3 cheaper but takes 2-5 weeks to ship it (out of stock).

I tell you what I see, is a jacked up regular price and the standard prices are the "sales" prices. I have most of my buying to Amazon. What a shame, I use to love the egg, now I give the egg "2 of 5 stars".

Crappy sales, and very high pricing.:mad:

sf9ras.jpg

...sorry, I had to :p.

I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones (whatever those odds are), I've never had one problem with any item purchased anywhere online, and I've used the 'egg, Xoxide, Amazon, and Buy, so luckily I've skipped any need to interact with any of them about any problems, but I'm just the average buyer, I don't buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff online every year, probably around $500 a year on average...

most of the time I see a really hot deal regarding something I may want it's from the 'egg, and when I price match that sale price it's usually better than any of the other online retailers which is enough for me, until I have a bad experience with something I may need to return, then I may consider other options, but until then I'm satisfied with whoever has the lowest price at that moment for the item I need/want, and usually it's Newegg...

and yeah, it sucks to be me because I don't have a Frys or a Microcenter anywhere near me, so most of the time online is my only option...

I still like Newegg. They've done some things for me that (at least before I started using Newegg) no other retailer would ever do, like cover a sizable rebate the mfg was a deadbeat about (no, for once it wasn't OCZ), and refund the equivalent of a product that went on sale after I purchased it. I know these things are more common now, but Newegg did it for me before anyone else did, and that counts for something to me, especially when you combine it with nearly flawless service in a highly efficient and prompt manner over tens of thousands of dollars of purchases made over... how long has it been now, 8 years? 9 years?

I'm a Newegg user, and unless I see a hugely better price on something somewhere else (like that Fry's 179.99 Q6600 madness back when it was the hottest cpu on the market) I will continue to be one. They are predictable. Consistent. Reliable.

Back