Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Samsung 960 EVOs & 960 Pros showing up on Newegg…

Still somewhat pricey, but a new controller chip, so maybe designed to run cooler & whatnot…?

I just love the idea of such a small device having so much storage & speed…!

Which I guess is the appeal of the Hutzy XS itself…

Come on Hahutzy, let's get this little gem into production…!

Last edited:
Short Update: Running into a snag in the scaling of manufacturing the case. The current fab is having a hard time forming the XS consistently. I'm working with my current fab and looking for other fabs to see how I can resolve this ASAP.

Reactions: Boil
like this
Is it the front panel causing issues…?

I do hope it can be worked out, that is a pretty sexy front panel…!

Any new info on the FSP400 PSU (the Amazon one with the included 6+2 pin GPU power cable)…

Are you planning on shipping units with a modified PSU (cables modded for length, removal of all but one SATA & removal or the Molex/Floppy cable), or will the PSU end up being something sourced by the end user…?

Thanks Hahutzy…!

Still kind of wondering about the idea of a positive pressure design for the airflow…

I envision two Cryorig XT140 fans (140mm fan w/120mm attachment points, 13mm 'slim', 4-pin PWM)…

I would see these attached to the inside of the side panels, I would see the openings of said side panels not extending past the fans at all, allowing for air to only come IN thru the side panels, not to 'leak out around the 'edges' of the vent openings… A circle of narrow weatherstripping between the fan shell & the side panel would also help seal this up…

The CPU chamber side would have that fan attached to the CPU Fan header on the MB…

With the current design, this would leave 27mm for the heat sink on the CPU (I am eyeing that Dynatron T318 as I imagine this)…

The GPU chamber side would have that fan attached to the GPU fan header; the stock fan & shroud would be removed from the GPU…

I wonder as to the total depth of the GPU chamber, and to the total thickness of the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini (again, with stock shroud & fan removed); I am hoping there may be JUST enough clearance for the XT140 fan (again, 13mm thick) to snug in between the side panel & the heat sink on the GPU…

With intake controlled by the respective systems themselves (CPU & GPU), with the fans 'sealed' to the side panels with weatherstripping, and with the side venting adjusted to fit the inner opening of the fan shells; this should create nothing but positive pressure, forcing any & all air drawn into the chassis up & out thru the top venting…!

Now, the 140mm fan on the GPU side MIGHT preclude a 2.5" SSD, as there could be interference between the fan & the drive…? BUT…!!! By making this Positive Pressure build an X99 build, the M.2 SSD slot would be on the frontside of the MB, receiving plenty of airflow from the 140mm fan mounted on the CPU chamber side panel… With a M.2 SSD only solution, there are two less cables to worry about…!

Last edited:
Is it the front panel causing issues…?

I do hope it can be worked out, that is a pretty sexy front panel…!

Any new info on the FSP400 PSU (the Amazon one with the included 6+2 pin GPU power cable)…

Are you planning on shipping units with a modified PSU (cables modded for length, removal of all but one SATA & removal or the Molex/Floppy cable), or will the PSU end up being something sourced by the end user…?

Thanks Hahutzy…!

It is not the front panel. It will stay the way it is!

As for PSU, I believe the best course of action is to ship with at least the Amazon version with the 8pin GPU power connectors.

Whether or not I can ship with modifications depends on the number of orders in the first batch.

Last edited:
like this
Updated the top post a little bit.

New render

Moved prototype "blog" to the second post.

like this
I haven't been checking out this thread for some time, but I've noticed pinned tests. Once again I'd like to note the fact that test results are somehow not right.

GTX 970's base clock is 1050 MHz and boost clock is 1178 MHz .This particular Gigabyte Mini version's base clock is 1071 MHz and boost clock is 1216 MHz. Since GPU boost became a thing, now GPUs target a specific temperature (80 degrees for GTX 970) going up with their clocks until they hit a power cap and cannot get more power.

On the screenshots from tests here you can see that the GPU is running at ~850 MHz which is quite a lot lower than a base clock, it runs at 70 degrees and has 98% of power load and is capped by power limit. It looks to me that the power was capped by some third party software like MSI Afterburner.

The thing is, boost clocks are kind of approximate from the manufacturer because those will depend on thermal performance in your pc chassis. That's why with big tower that has proper induced airflow or with some water cooling on the gpu it can easily go beyond those clocks and then hit its power limit and in effect get temps below those 80 degrees.

We have pretty much the same situations with A4-SFX and Sentry when it's on vertical stand - easy access of air from the side and vented surface for hot air exhaust above the GPU.

gpu_load_idlejoqnx.jpg

GTX 780 went to 80 degree thermal cap and GTX 970 gaming is showing its outstanding performance here - but all of that is thanks to oversized PCB with non-reference power section, huge radiator and those two huge fans.
600.png

XQfhhVIl.png

it did kind of throttle - it went below boost clocks, but notice the 85 degree thermal cap

Open case scenario - still hitting ~80 degrees cap.
96ESHAEl.png

Closed case scenario - hitting ~80 degrees cap and dropping a bit below boost clocks in horizontal
SrI88axl.png

6HIG0KTl.png

Note the fact that reviewer simply states that GPU did not throttle

52We7Fgl.png

And this is the card:
v5XkRpRl.png

Note the fact that reviewer simply states that GPU did not throttle

The card could get to 73 degrees without throttling because it hit performance cap

Note that R9-270X was thermally capped for the sake of comparison with GTX 970 which has lower TDP and the fact that those temps are average from multiple gaming loads.
mvKI4BD.png

R9-270X has average clock pretty close to its advertised 1100mhz boost clock and in vertical position it was running at 60 degrees - it means that in most full load scenarios it hit its power limit and it was able to run as cool as 61 degrees by average.

Finally this looks like this:
b2518.jpg

And we could get those 60 degrees because reduced power limit and vertical position granting access to all the fresh air it could get.

So there is a scenario where you can get GPU temps below thermal limit, but numbers OP tests simply don't add up to that.

I might have missed some info here, I haven't read whole thread thoroughly, but I can check the performance of that GTX 1070 Mini in standard chassis tomorrow, because I have exact same unit in my workstation.

I haven't been checking out this thread for some time, but I've noticed pinned tests. Once again I'd like to note the fact that test results are somehow not right.

GTX 970's base clock is 1050 MHz and boost clock is 1178 MHz .This particular Gigabyte Mini version's base clock is 1071 MHz and boost clock is 1216 MHz. Since GPU boost became a thing, now GPUs target a specific temperature (80 degrees for GTX 970) going up with their clocks until they hit a power cap and cannot get more power.

On the screenshots from tests here you can see that the GPU is running at ~850 MHz which is quite a lot lower than a base clock, it runs at 70 degrees and has 98% of power load and is capped by power limit. It looks to me that the power was capped by some third party software like MSI Afterburner.

The thing is, boost clocks are kind of approximate from the manufacturer because those will depend on thermal performance in your pc chassis. That's why with big tower that has proper induced airflow or with some water cooling on the gpu it can easily go beyond those clocks and then hit its power limit and in effect get temps below those 80 degrees.

We have pretty much the same situations with A4-SFX and Sentry when it's on vertical stand - easy access of air from the side and vented surface for hot air exhaust above the GPU.

[snip]

So there is a scenario where you can get GPU temps below thermal limit, but numbers OP tests simply don't add up to that.

I might have missed some info here, I haven't read whole thread thoroughly, but I can check the performance of that GTX 1070 Mini in standard chassis tomorrow, because I have exact same unit in my workstation.

You're right, it is weird that my card's core is ~860 even though it's advertised to have a base of ~1070 Mhz.

I'm going to have to investigate why that is. I do not currently have a reasoning for this discrepancy.

The only thing I can reassure you on is that I did not limit/boost the card in any way, whether through software or vbios.

Last edited:
Just came back to drool over the renders again for a bit and wondered if the actual finish will be glossy like the renders appear to be.

How's the V2 prototype coming along Hahutzy? Do you have an ETA? :)
No ETA yet, since most manufacturers around here seem to be going into holiday mode.. I'll post updates when they happen though!

Just came back to drool over the renders again for a bit and wondered if the actual finish will be glossy like the renders appear to be.
I couldn't find a way to reduce the glossiness when I rendered, but I will go back to it and see if I can make a more realistic representation.
The black parts are anodized so by nature they won't reflect light like that.
The white version's white parts will be glossy like automotive paint, because it will be powdercoated.

Last edited:
Updated renders! Took a while and had to learn a few new tricks, but now the renders should be better representations of the actual texture of Hutzy XS!

(They're on the First Post, for anyone that's wondering where the renders are)

Last edited:
Any more temps/testing on M.2 NVMe SSDs with the rest of the system cranking away, like with a GTX 1070 & an i7 6700 (NON K-series; so, no overclocking…) involved in some multi-hour gaming & concurrent streaming of same intercut with live video…?

Now I can go look at the new renders…!

Any more temps/testing on M.2 NVMe SSDs with the rest of the system cranking away, like with a GTX 1070 & an i7 6700 (NON K-series; so, no overclocking…) involved in some multi-hour gaming & concurrent streaming of same intercut with live video…?

Now I can go look at the new renders…!

I was also concerned about the SSD temp, 53-54C seems a bit dangerous.

There's been some changes to interior layout between those temps and the current model. I had original hoped to do all these testings by the end of the year but I don't think I can get a metal prototype done in these few weeks.
I started breaking the model down into 3D printable pieces and I will try to get some temps off a 3D printed model case in the meantime.

BY THE WAY, I added a Silver option to the poll to gauge interest between Black, Silver and White. Also added that render to the First Post

Last edited:
I do not know if you made a final decision, but I would be interested in a mounting bracket inside the case for an HDplex.

Also interested in this case but like fminus, hdplex or similar would be great.

I do not know if you made a final decision, but I would be interested in a mounting bracket inside the case for an HDplex.

Also interested in this case but like fminus, hdplex or similar would be great.

And the bottom was made to accommodate one 2.5" SSD when FlexATX is used.
But when HDPLEX is used, there is enough space to accommodate two additional 2.5" SSDs

Here's a look a the bottom's holes setup:

6zNeyeG.jpg

Just thought I would try to answer the noob question…!

I, personally, am all about the Flex-ATX PSU…

I keep bouncing back & forth between numerous chassis', but I keep coming back to the Hutzy XS; SO small, so compact, PC computing stripped down to the bare essentials…!

THAT is the allure of the Hutzy XS for me; ultra compact & nothing extra to worry about…

As a gaming PC I have an sg05.
The evolution from that is Dan's case - by compacting the components. (half size)
The evolution from Dan's case is Hutzy - by using smaller components. (half again... Almost)

I've settled for Dan's as it is imminently available.
I can't see anything smaller than Hutzy unless there are new form factors suitable for gaming.

Just thought I would try to answer the noob question…!

I, personally, am all about the Flex-ATX PSU…

I keep bouncing back & forth between numerous chassis', but I keep coming back to the Hutzy XS; SO small, so compact, PC computing stripped down to the bare essentials…!

THAT is the allure of the Hutzy XS for me; ultra compact & nothing extra to worry about…

I feel flex-atx will be "loud" with the small fan. I prefer to have as small box as possible and as silent as possible. Hutzy has been the one with "all" of it. My plan was to use 45W or 65W or maybe even some 95W with 2 cores active just to get it run silently. I rarely do any gaming and if I do its usually League of Legends.

This case with 1050 passive would be nice for me :)

I feel flex-atx will be "loud" with the small fan. I prefer to have as small box as possible and as silent as possible. Hutzy has been the one with "all" of it. My plan was to use 45W or 65W or maybe even some 95W with 2 cores active just to get it run silently. I rarely do any gaming and if I do its usually League of Legends.

This case with 1050 passive would be nice for me :)

If you want low TDP processors you should look at the Intel T-series processors, they're only 35W. Also you could use a HDPLEX instead of a FlexATX if you're worried about fan noise, but then you'd also have the external power brick.

I'm with Boil, I keep looking at other cases, but I keep coming back to the Hutzy XS because I love its tiny footprint. The only reservation I have is the flex atx power supply, but the reports that it is not as loud as the graphics card is very encouraging. I should probably just go out and buy a flex atx and see for myself what it sounds like.

I think I like the black anodized look the best, but the white powder coat is very tempting. I'm not as familiar with the properties of powder coat. Will it get scratched off around the screw holes from the pressure of the screws? will you have to leave the screws a little bit looser in order to prevent the paint from getting scratched off?

I have no worries about the noise of the FlexATX PSU. Even 40mm fans can be modded or swapped out, but with admittedly more effort when the wires are soldered inside of a PSU.

but I keep coming back to the Hutzy XS; SO small, so compact, PC computing stripped down to the bare essentials…!

Exactly! No space reserved for multiple hard drives, larger power supplies, big heatsinks, oversized video cards, extra fans, etc.

If you don't game much but some then the RX 460 is one awesome target http://i.imgur.com/WSVgA8M.png underclock undervolt like no tomorrow, a 65W CPU plus the GPU could be comfortably ran from a 120W Pico PSU. And MSI has RX 460 card which I believe is the right size.

Exactly! No space reserved for multiple hard drives, larger power supplies, big heatsinks, oversized video cards, extra fans, etc.

Well, there is that spot for a single 2.5" SSD; and with 1 & 2 TB M.2 SSDs available now, it could be considered kind of unnecessary…

But I am planning for a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD & adding a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD later, so that "extra spot" will work for me…

Well, there is that spot for a single 2.5" SSD; and with 1 & 2 TB M.2 SSDs available now, it could be considered kind of unnecessary…

I suppose you could ditch the 2.5" mount and require the motherboard to have an M.2 or mini-PCIe slot for storage.

But, was the case made larger to accomodate the 2.5" drive or was the space already there due to other constraints and a 2.5" drive just happened to fit?

I suppose you could ditch the 2.5" mount and require the motherboard to have an M.2 or mini-PCIe slot for storage.

But, was the case made larger to accomodate the 2.5" drive or was the space already there due to other constraints and a 2.5" drive just happened to fit?

Already there, the drive mounts to the bottom of the chassis, tucked in next to the PSU, mounted up on edge…

Like I stated earlier, i plan on using a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 for the boot drive & later add a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD for a Steam/storage drive…

And now Corsair gives us another choice in M.2 NVMe SSDs…!

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/mp500

Hopefully some tech blogger out there will test all of these newer SSDs so we can see how they all stack up against each other…!

And with Ryzen & Vega on the horizon, maybe the Hutzy XS will be sporting an AMD build…?!?

Assuming, of course, that someone makes an AM4 mITX MB for us SFF freaks…!

OR…!!! If the Ryzen APU is used, then maybe the GPU side of the Hutzy XS chassis can be utilized for an AIO water-cooling rig to cool the APU…!!!

This could be the SFF version of a "console killer", more realistically a console replacement; as a Ryzen APU should give performance equal to or greater than either the PS4 or XB1…?!?

A sub-4 liter water-cooled gaming rig…?!? That would be mind-blowing…!!!

Damnit, now I want to see a SFF chassis designed around the Ryzen APU & the EK 140 Predator…!!!

Last edited:
Still fixating on Ryzen APUs (with the knowledge that we really know NOTHING about them yet)…

Just realized the Hutzy XS, if designed for an APU & NO GPU, could actually be SMALLER…!

Take the FlexATX PSU and move it to the bottom of the GPU chamber…

Top area of the GPU chamber could have up to four SSDs stacked above the PSU, still up on edge like currently…

There would be a custom bracket that would allow said SDDs to mount, but would carry the load directly to the MB tray…

(…I could not see doing a quad stack bracket, like the double stack brackets that come with the NCase M1; sets like it would be too much stress on the 'anchor' SSD…)

There would, depending on the MB, also be the M.2 SSD slot…

So, this would remove the entire lower section / PSU chamber of the chassis from the volume…!!!

Or, keep the same rough volume (still with the above outlined configuration), but increase the depth of the CPU (now the APU) chamber, allowing for a larger HSF to be used…

So, either a bit shorter with the same space for HSF; or a bit shorter & wider with space for more HSF clearance…!

OR…!!! Use some of that volume from the original bottom PSU chamber, moving it to the top for dual 92mm exhaust fans…!!!

Because intel's IGP is not going to be the same thing as Ryzen APU with integrated HBM memory.

Okay, but put that APU in something NUC-sized (it's a standard, not a brand name...).

If you're going with something larger than a NUC, you're putting in a GPU- and with an APU, you're sacrificing CPU speed for graphics performance that you're not going to use.

Yeah, unless thanks to that additional space you get, you can fit proper cooling for CPU with IGP.

At this point we don't really know how this new APU will behave because we never got an APU with proper memory AND its IGP having proportionally large power budget to the CPU cores. So far we've had stuff like CPU taking 65W and IGP using 4 to 15 W and that doesn't compare to what normal GPU uses to properly perform.

If AMD brings something balanced that has 45W quad core CPU and 50W GPU with HBM inside then it finally may be something worth using without dedicated GPU, at least for some online competitive gaming.

Back