Hurt Locker Makers Suing a Record 24,583 People

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hold on just a damn minute, now I know these guys are full of crap...there is no way almost 25,000 people watched that movie (pirated or not). :D

After being honored with an Oscar for best motion picture last year, the makers of The Hurt Locker have now also secured the award for the biggest file-sharing lawsuit the world has ever witnessed. By targeting at least 24,583 alleged BitTorrent users, Voltage Pictures hopes to recoup millions of dollars in settlements to compensate the studio for piracy-related losses.

Hurt Locker was actually a pretty damn good movie. It's easy to get out of these types of law suites. I've gotten friends out of 4 or so of these types of lawsuits over the past 6 or 7 years using a little know legal maneuver. Also got a friend out of a DirectTV lawsuit over a glitcher he made a mistake of paying for with his credit card using the same tatic. Poor bastards.

Hurt Locker was actually a pretty damn good movie. It's easy to get out of these types of law suites. I've gotten friends out of 4 or so of these types of lawsuits over the past 6 or 7 years using a little know legal maneuver. Also got a friend out of a DirectTV lawsuit over a glitcher he made a mistake of paying for with his credit card using the same tatic. Poor bastards.

Faking death?

Hmm!! Do tell!

Hurt Locker was garbage. It tried to pass itself off as a gritty realistic perspective of the Iraq war but fails miserably with some of the most laughably unrealistic elements you'll see in a war movie.

Seriously...it's like they are just trying to outdo each other with the amount of lawsuits.

First it was 23,000 people with the Expendables crap, now just over 24,500...Who will be the first to reach 30,000?? :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Funny, I saw the movie on some random guys notebook while waiting in line to pick up Modern Warfare 2, obviously a pirated copy. Was a good movie.

If they can sue someone for downloading this or any movie then I think we have the right to demand our money back when we are tricked into paying to see a shitty one.

I wont ever watch it just because of this.

Didn't it just barely make a profit? Guess they're trying to make up for a crap movie.

** Just checked. Budget $11 mil, made $17 mil domestic. Not even close to being a chart breaker.

The Hurt Locker wasn’t the worse movie ever, but it definitely wasn’t very accurate. Anyone that thinks that you send a live person in to cut wires on an IED is horribly mistaken.

The main reason it did so poorly in the theaters is because the company responsible for its marketing, advertisement and release sucked! Also, they released the movie head to head with one of the biggest blockbusters ever, Avatar.

Wonder if this lawsuit will get shot down in flames like the last one, can only hope the judge is as tech savvy as the last one, and go with the "an IP address is not a person".

I had never heard of this movie until oscar night, still not interested, I love how piracy is an excuse for a poorly advertised/overated/massive budget flop, and this is a method of recouping earnings/negating the loses of lack of interest.

The movie that stole the story from real life soldiers, gave them no compensation whatsoever, is now whining that others treated them the same and didn't compensate them to watch the movie. I believe that's called - what goes around comes around Voltage Pictures.

The Hurt Locker wasn’t the worse movie ever, but it definitely wasn’t very accurate. Anyone that thinks that you send a live person in to cut wires on an IED is horribly mistaken.

Really? You may wish to rethink that statement because I can tell you that is 100% false.

The main reason it did so poorly in the theaters is because the company responsible for its marketing, advertisement and release sucked! Also, they released the movie head to head with one of the biggest blockbusters ever, Avatar.

This however, is 100% true!

These lawsuits are getting way out of hand. I really wish our legal system would grow a pair and put a stop to the stupidity.

They're really just a bunch of greedy bastards at that studio. Sue this, and sue that. They really like to abuse the legal system. Btw, I have the bluray copy of this film, so no, I didn't pirate it.

Seriously...it's like they are just trying to outdo each other with the amount of lawsuits.

First it was 23,000 people with the Expendables crap, now just over 24,500...Who will be the first to reach 30,000?? :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The fact that they're both over 9,000 is what has me scared... :p

I'm sure if I said I was going to repost all of the content on this website on my own website, all of you would come to my defense about how greedy the Hard OCP owners are, right?

If it wasn't for the pirates 90% of the people who saw this movie would have never heard of it. Piracy is what spread the word for this tiny good movie. They really should calm down, most people who pirated it would not have spent a cent on it since it wasn't even our in theaters everywhere.

I like how some people are justifying pirating films. Films, especially ones such as this should be pirated.

It's weird how many people give the movie shit despite soldier's interviewed saying it's one of the more realistic depictions.

By targeting at least 24,583 alleged BitTorrent users, Voltage Pictures hopes to recoup millions of dollars in settlements to compensate the studio for piracy-related losses.

I don't understand this, this is what is wrong with the legal system in the USA. Even if they got $1,000,000 in settlements from the $24,583 people they are suing that would be $40.68 per person. That is more then it would cost to view in theater AND buy the DVD or Blu-Ray. I'd be fine if someone got sued and had to pay a reasonable amount $10-40 would be reasonable in my mind. However I'm sure they'll go for something stupid like $10,000 for each person minimum.

Really? You may wish to rethink that statement because I can tell you that is 100% false.

This however, is 100% true!

These lawsuits are getting way out of hand. I really wish our legal system would grow a pair and put a stop to the stupidity.

Well, I don't know which psycho company you worked for, but from my experience if a device is identified, it is detonated with plastic.

Even if I wasted time torrenting it I don't think I would watch it. It looks like a pretty mediocre standard "gritty" war movie, that doesnt look bad enough to be funny. This kind of film has been played out so many times I find it hard to care. Its hardly "oh noes more children dying" when its been in 231430120 other films, and you have become desensitized by overplayed flimsy pathos. I struggle to care, and also struggle to find a reason to watch this. Maybe if I was a bomb disposal whatever I might, or it had some unique angle. The matrix was a shitty love story with some gun fights and a weak plot played out with some watered down buddist philosophy, but it had visual qualities that made it watchable.

The only reason they expected more sales was because it won an oscar. The only reason it won was because there was nothing else deserving at the time, and also as a "fuck you asshole" to avatar. Another boring film. It kind of shows that noone cares about the oscars anymore, nor do they have any relation to anything.

I am trying to understand the logistics of how you can actually sue 25,000 people simultaneously. How would that even work?

I wont ever watch it just because of this.

Add me to this list. I never had a desire to watch it anyway as I hate modern-day war movies that usually have some stupid political message as the central theme of the film. If it won an Oscar I can only guess how much of a Left-wing propaganda piece it is. Now I have even more reason to not watch it.

If anyone from Voltage Pictures runs across this thread, I have only this to say:
I love Avatar! I absolutely love it, and I'll never watch your film! Don't worry about having to sue me for pirating your movie. It's not worth the bandwidth! :D

Hurt Locker is a great movie if you know nothing at all about the military and want to make a wild assumption of the experiences of an EOD technician. Which are completely inaccurate.

They really should calm down, most people who pirated it would not have spent a cent on it since it wasn't even our in theaters everywhere.

Oh Yeah, I forgot that makes it all legal! I forgot all about that tiny closet law.

I found the movie was more realistic than not and I don't say that because I'm some sort of Gawd at CoD (I actually suck at console games), I use my 23 years of military service for a reference point. I could go on with justifiable statements but I think it is a lot more fun to watch the posts and see who is saying what he heard from a friend as fact rather than who is speaking from real experience.

I've never even heard of that movie until they started suing everything that moves and it made the news. I guess they just saved on advertising and now all the news websites advertised it for them free of charge!

The title of this thread makes my head hurt. I read it as "people who make lockers that are hurt suing a record 24,583 people."

Back