HTC Touch Pro

Pass on the Touch Pro. Great concept and an awesome phone when it works, but what a buggy pain in the arse.

I got the dreaded keyboard problem... not even gonna bother to turn it in for ANOTHER warranty replacement... just waiting till May when divested Alltel comes out with the HTC Hero.

It's too bad though, I love the Touch Pro, wish they would have figured out the bugs and fixed them.

I had no issues with my TP, then again I flashed a custom ROM to it and I heard Verizon's build quality was higher than the others.

I had the Touch Pro for just under a year. Well, I had 2 Touch Pro's for a total of just under a year. The first one the screen stopped working. Verizon had me do a hard reset on it, and the first thing you do is setup the touch screen, touch screen didn't work, so I couldn't get it set back up.

The second one started to randomly reboot, or lock up. I could be on a call and the phone would lock up hard. Reboot and it is fine for a while, then reboot in the middle of a call. So Verizon sent me a Touch Pro 2.

The Touch Pro 2 seemed better, but I only used it for a few days. I switched to a Motorola Droid, which I am still using. I like the Droid much better. I have hung on to the TP2 because I might do some international travel later this year and figure I could use it then.

So over all, I would say stay away from the original Touch Pro. If you are wanting a Windows phone, the Touch Pro 2 seems like a good phone, but I have very little experience with it.

I had the Touch Pro for just under a year. Well, I had 2 Touch Pro's for a total of just under a year. The first one the screen stopped working. Verizon had me do a hard reset on it, and the first thing you do is setup the touch screen, touch screen didn't work, so I couldn't get it set back up.

That is what happened to me, but I had a sprint model. I am on a Hero now and I haven't looked back. I loved the TP, but so many issues kept me on the fence about it.

I had no issues with my TP, then again I flashed a custom ROM to it and I heard Verizon's build quality was higher than the others.
All the same phone, but if anything I would expect Verizon's to be the cheaper version of there was one, since they are the one's that speced less RAM to get the cost even lower. If they were willing to sacrifice performance.. who knows what else.

LOL, no... Plus, the Verizon version has half the RAM, too! YAY Verizon!
Does it matter that much? I do see alot of posts over at PPC Geeks regarding the phone being less capable than a Sprint or Alltel version though.

I do like the Verizon version though.. isn't it all black and doesn't have that chrome stuff?

It's too bad what Verizon had to munky with the keyboard layout on the TP2, figured they would learn to let the Pro's design the phone themselves, but at least Verizon's layout isn't as bad as what AT&T did with their TP2.

Having owned and used one for a year I can tell you it's nowhere near as big a deal as it was made out to be. Especially if you set your own pagepool to suit your amount of multitasking. Would it have been nice to have extra, sure. Was it necessary in order to have a perfectly functional TP? No. I wish I knew where I read about the build quality, it basically was saying since Verizon was catering the phone more to business users than enthusiasts it was important for them to have it extra stable, etc., which is why the modified the build. Could have been wrong, I don't know. But it did fit and make sense. And I certainly saw far less complaints from Verizon users while watching the whole thing unfold on PPCGeeks. The keyboard layout to me wasn't a big deal either, it's not hard to hit the M or N, and all they did was get rid of other redundant keys while making others larger (if I recall). People just like to bitch about small stuff and blow it up. AT&T are the ones that really screwed up in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't know, it is a different shape and who's to say things aren't routed different inside? I guess finding the model dissections would probably answer that and wherever I read that could have just been guessing. And the thing about the keyboards is any small keyboard like that requires acclimation on any model. I had absolutely no issues using the keyboard, it's like people like to split hairs just to be argumentative. I'd rather have a smaller enter key because having a larger one means I get one less key spot anyway, etc. They say Verizon's has less keys, but they don't have the wasting space double-wide keys, and yet each individual key is larger therefore easier to hit. It's a compromise and personally I can appreciate having larger keys to hit. It's all preference, you can't really say it's bad compared to the other ones because the truth is they are all bad since they are on a phone (except ATT leaving out the number row wtf). Who cares, it's really not a big deal.

I have a HTC touch pro sprint that i use for backup phone, its great with SERO plan. Verizon sucks so cant imagine them having a good phone anyway heh, keyboard is bigger but the HTC touch pro didnt have to small of keys like other phones so didnt need to get bigger keys but i dont have fingernails or fat fingers

No, stay away and avoid it like the plague. It's one of the buggiest phones i've ever owned, not to mention there is a fundamental design flaw on the actual body of the phone that causes both halves that slide to separate.As I type this I'm waiting for mine to hard reset, as the software glitches every month or so and locks up and refuses to boot.

I had a similar problem where it would randomly freeze and hard reset itself every week or two. After flashing to the stock ROM, locking it, then unlocking and flashing back it has been stable.

yeah I tried that, but I appreciate the thought. I think im just going to grit and bare it until the new wp7 sets start hitting stores. I just hope they hit Canada as fast as they'll hit the rest of the US.

I used a Touch Pro for about 6 months before I got a TP2. I ran modded ROMs on it and was pretty pleased with it. However, I really wanted the big screen and 3.5mm jack from the iPhone and the TP2 pleased me with the nice and big 3.6" WVGA screen and the 3.5mm jack.

On top of that, Sense is fucking awesome compared to TouchFlo3D. Really makes the phone a pleasure to use.

Back