HTC Touch Pro

So what ROMs are people running lately? I'm still on an old Romeos 1.90.2, which is about 6 months old by now. It's treating me alright, though, but some of the newer ROMs are looking really good.

So... what's everyone running? GSM ROMs, in particular, are appreciated.

MightyROM 6.5. I held off for a long time moving to 6.5 but this last one is completely solid for me so far. And despite the fact that I don't necessarily like the new 6.5 interface I appreciate that it uses less memory than touch flo and it's growing on me. I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones and a2dp is working great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49EOuOEb5hM

I'm running a custom ROM based on WM 6.5 sys 23017 and Manila 2.1 and I'm loving it so far. Battery Life is good and I had plenty of storage memory left after flashing.

What are the advantages to new ROMs?

Are they essentially just a new interface?

Are there any disadvantages?

It's basically the difference between buying a Dell and leaving Windows the way it is with it's OEM software and "base install", or doing your own clean install and then having someone tweak the OS for you and add some cool custom applications. There's no downside at all that I can see other than you have to re-flash it back to the stock ROM if you take it into the store for some kind of support/replacement. But that's easy to do though it will wipe your phone again.

MightyRom is for CDMA only, apparently, so I'm out of luck.

I did flash the newest EnergyROM "WarHawk" last night and it is very nice. WinMo 6.5 takes some getting used to, but I'm liking this so far.

That software looks really nice. What has it done to your battery life?

No better or worse then touchflo that I have noticed. Turn 3d acceleration off (I notice no difference with it one or off actually.. it actually stutters with it on, smooth as can be with it off).

so does anyone have recommendations for newer custom ROM's for the Verizon Touch pro?

I'm looking for Amazing battery life, and a bit of speed increase. i also NEED the GPS to work, as some of the custom ROM's i've tried can't get the GPS working.

so does anyone have recommendations for newer custom ROM's for the Verizon Touch pro?

I'm looking for Amazing battery life, and a bit of speed increase. i also NEED the GPS to work, as some of the custom ROM's i've tried can't get the GPS working.

Have you tried the MightyROM? Just wondering, because I have not and am planning on flashing my VZW TP for the first time.

I've been using MightyROM for a long time now, every version he's released. The latest 6.5 one is excellent and I have working GPS in Bing and Google Maps. There's a guide specifically for Verizon TP's in post #4 of the thread.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52695

There are other great ROMs but I've settled on MR because he generally includes and sets up everything the way I like it, with a focus on stability before bleeding edge which is important to me.

EDIT: AmongTheChosenX have you flashed Verizon's latest official ROM unlocking the GPS? You might give that a go before doing anything else, just to have a baseline working GPS.

Downloading MR 6 now. Is it still necessary to modify the page pool with the VZW TP?

Downloading MR 6 now. Is it still necessary to modify the page pool with the VZW TP?

I would say it depends on how much multitasking you do and what interface you want to use. If you plan on having a lot of programs open at once then I'd say probably yes. Personally, I usually only have two at a time open so I opted to leave the pagepool at the default for MR6.5 leaving the OS more room to breathe (16 rather then down to 8 for VZ) just to see how it worked, and so far no complaints with the way I use it. The new Titanium interface uses less RAM than TouchFlo so that also determines how much you'll have left. Then of course you can turn off the new skinned dialer to free up another 10MB, and I just happen to prefer the old dialer with the hang up/call and history buttons on the screen. So you have several options really, it all depends on how much you need free for the things you want to do.

I would say it depends on how much multitasking you do and what interface you want to use. If you plan on having a lot of programs open at once then I'd say probably yes. Personally, I usually only have two at a time open so I opted to leave the pagepool at the default for MR6.5 leaving the OS more room to breathe (16 rather then down to 8 for VZ) just to see how it worked, and so far no complaints with the way I use it. The new Titanium interface uses less RAM than TouchFlo so that also determines how much you'll have left. Then of course you can turn off the new skinned dialer to free up another 10MB, and I just happen to prefer the old dialer with the hang up/call and history buttons on the screen. So you have several options really, it all depends on how much you need free for the things you want to do.

Thanks for you input. I think I will leave it at the default for the time being. With 6 apps running it still seems responsive; 85% memory used.

Before the end of my first full day running MR6 and the default 16 pagepool value I was running into trouble. I had no apps running and could not open the camera app or teeter game without getting a "no more RAM" notification. This was without modifying the dialer. I reflashed last night and changed the pool to 8. RAM is now more plentiful but I do notice a slight increase in lag. It's too bad Verizon had to cut off a large chunk of the much needed RAM.

The new dialer is seriously pointless in my mind, I don't honestly know if it brings anything to the table other than "looking nicer" and I guess having larger buttons, and that's not worth 10MB to me. Here they are together:

New using up 10MB

newdialer.jpg

Old

olddialer.jpg

Yeah, not a whole lot of difference. I prefer the darker screen as well, even though the slightly larger buttons are nice. I just switched it over. Definitely worth gaining a chunk of RAM.

That white dialer is the stock dialer on the Sprint Touch Pro

That white dialer is the stock dialer on the Sprint Touch Pro

Yeah it's the stock on all Touch Pro's I'm sure since it's made by HTC, but you can turn it off with the advanced config app. HTC basically just skins over the WinMo OS and the old dialer is still available. I like how the old dialer doesn't take up the whole screen too when a call comes in, so that I can mute my audio book before answering the call.

Yeah it's the stock on all Touch Pro's I'm sure since it's made by HTC, but you can turn it off with the advanced config app. HTC basically just skins over the WinMo OS and the old dialer is still available. I like how the old dialer doesn't take up the whole screen too when a call comes in, so that I can mute my audio book before answering the call.
That's not necessary, is it? Doesn't the audiobook mute itself when you answer the call?

That's not necessary, is it? Doesn't the audiobook mute itself when you answer the call?

It does when you finally answer but sometimes I deliberate on answering and it goes on quietly in the background while I do. :p Having to rewind a couple seconds all the time gets old after awhile.

Has anyone had any screen connection issues with their device? If I put enough pressure (hardly any, actually) near the bottom on the screen it will begin to flicker and sometimes completely lose its connection until I release my finger. Directly on top of the "verizon" text seems to be the most sensitive location.

I've not been too happy with batter life on my device. I left it on overnight (data on, pushing a hotmail account and pulling another once a day) and lost 50% in 8 hours, all without touching the power button or receiving one email. Is this normal with MR6 or any other 6.5 ROM?

To be honest battery life is something I've never payed attention to. I use my phone all day long very regularly whether its surfing, talking, or listening to audio books, so I just plug it in regularly when I'm in the car or via USB cable at my desk. I've never run out mid-day though when I haven't had a chance to charge. Are you leaving apps open in the background? I close what I don't use and I could see something like google maps or bing draining your battery with the GPS if left open, etc. Does it seem worse since you've installed MR? Somewhere there is an app that will show you how much power your battery is drawing actively, I can try to dig it up.

I don't think I had a single program running. I had quite the opposite experience today, while actually using the device. 8 hours and only used 20% with light use--got some email (data), used wifi for under 10 minutes w/ opera, sent/received a text, quickly checked device several times, etc. I didn't even soft reset it since recharging it. I'm not sure what was going on. Maybe some notification kept popping up and draining the battery without me noticing. I doubt that though as I was observing the quick battery drain before I set it aside for the night. I'll just be happy if I continue to get battery life like I did today!

I can't say what battery life was like on the stock ROM. I only used it long enough to get familiar with how laggy it could be.

I've been told MR improved the battery life but I don't know anything about it.

i am wondeirng if i want to update to wm6.5 from wm6.1. what rom should i get/download? i have alltel phone.

MR6.5 is very solid, and it's a final release though he accidentally left out MS Voice. You can find a cab for it easy though in the thread. The biggest difference probably is in the way the start menu is laid out and the fact that it has the newer kinetic scrolling which is much nicer than 6.1 in my opinion. I'd do it.

No, stay away and avoid it like the plague. It's one of the buggiest phones i've ever owned, not to mention there is a fundamental design flaw on the actual body of the phone that causes both halves that slide to separate.As I type this I'm waiting for mine to hard reset, as the software glitches every month or so and locks up and refuses to boot.

If I were you, I'd hold on till later in the year and get a windows phone 7.

No, stay away and avoid it like the plague. It's one of the buggiest phones i've ever owned, not to mention there is a fundamental design flaw on the actual body of the phone that causes both halves that slide to separate.As I type this I'm waiting for mine to hard reset, as the software glitches every month or so and locks up and refuses to boot.

If I were you, I'd hold on till later in the year and get a windows phone 7.

Or just hold out for a couple of months and get that bad boy Sprint EVO 4G phone.

PS: I love my TP2 phone. So far its the best phone I have ever had and I plan on getting the EVO 4G this summer.

I still like mine and would have a problem recommending it.

I dont think you can even buy this phone new anymore.

I wouldnt shy away from picking one up used for a decent price.

I have the phone now(got it for free)

i was thinking about getting it flashed on metro pcs

I had mine for 9 months and the Touch on it stopped working, I had the newton rings on the screen, and the keyboard started gettin glitchy. It was double entering keys. I called sprint and complained about it. Since all the issues were flaws they gave me a blackberry Tour since I refused another Touch Pro.

Just examined the screen, i see the newton rings smack dab in the middle

is there anything i can do about this?

Back