HTC Touch Pro

Verizon certainly does like to kill phones. Screwed up keyboard, locked GPS, less RAM, and removal of useful software.

Verizon certainly does like to kill phones. Screwed up keyboard, locked GPS, less RAM, and removal of useful software.

The keyboard is excellent bedies that arrow key between the N amd M as I mentioned in my review but beyond that this keyboard works very well. GPS will be unlocked next year and there are hacks now out there to unlock it now. The unit does have less ram which kind of stinks but considering it has less loaded up that other version which have more ram but overloaded with trial software and other things not needed in the phone. Plus the maorjity of those pre-loaded apps have freeware version of them that run just as good if not better. I think the addition of Power Point editor, Card Scanner and MP3 Trimmer is more than enough. Have you tried the Touch Pro yet in hand?

They removed 10 keys from the thing as well. It has 2 fewer columns of keys. All the software you mentioned has been standard on HTC's flagship phones for a while now, so their inclusion shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. I've owned the phone for over a month now and before that, I had the TyTN II.

Can't wait for mine.

I just tried a demo at a sprint store, and damn... lets just say if anything happens to this phone, I will become like the hulk.

Got to admit Bookman, very nicely done. Love both of your reviews on the storm and the touch pro as those are the two phones I'm looking at getting this weekend. Love the website as well. Bookmarked you.

bookworm316, thanks for posting your review of the touch pro. I just picked one up myself today, except I am on Alltel. This is my first smart phone and I really do like it.

Thanks,
wipeout833

I just cant believe that Verizon killed that phone so much. WHY?! Just so it couldnt compete with the Storm? thats retarded.

Stores dont even have this phone yet, even though it came out BEFORE the storm :rolleyes:

This thing has the unfortunate timing of coming out around the same time as the storm. :(

I just cant believe that Verizon killed that phone so much. WHY?! Just so it couldnt compete with the Storm? thats retarded.

Stores dont even have this phone yet, even though it came out BEFORE the storm :rolleyes:

This thing has the unfortunate timing of coming out around the same time as the storm. :(

The memory is the only thing that is of major difference at this point, and really it's not that necessary. This phone runs just as fast as any of the other ones.

Most of the people so far i've seen bitching about this phone have either never seen one or they have one on sprint or att and just like to bash verizon to make themselves feel better

Also, the Storm was released before the Touch Pro

I'm loving my XV6850 with a bigger keyboard, GPS, and Youtube

The memory is the only thing that is of major difference at this point, and really it's not that necessary. This phone runs just as fast as any of the other ones.

Most of the people so far i've seen bitching about this phone have either never seen one or they have one on sprint or att and just like to bash verizon to make themselves feel better

Also, the Storm was released before the Touch Pro

I'm loving my XV6850 with a bigger keyboard, GPS, and Youtube

I cant get verizon to upgrade me from the XV6800 which 4 of my phone have had the screen burn/bright spot issue. :(

I work as a tech in a Sprint store, and though I'm admittedly biased towards Blackberries, I wouldn't touch the Diamond/Pro for the life of me. I've seen wayyyyyy too many issues, including one where if it was turned on before it was activated, it would turn into a brick, needing at LEAST 10-15 hard resets before it would work again. It was due to an automatic activation setting HTC/Sprint decided to go with.

No, it's a Sprint/HTC issue, as the online activation option they used borked the entire process. It's not a GSM issue because you can just swap the SIMs before you turn on the new device and everything is fine.

No, it's a Sprint/HTC issue, as the online activation option they used borked the entire process. It's not a GSM issue because you can just swap the SIMs before you turn on the new device and everything is fine.

Another reason why I dumped Sprint over a year ago.

My Fuze has been very solid and stable. I have not changed the radio or rom yet, I have done some tweaking to speed up the already fairly fast phone. Got mine day 1 it was released. Wanted the Touch Pro but needed US 3g.

I dont like how Verizon cut things, but I dont like some of the changes ATT made either so its really up to which carrier you like more. Its essentially the same phone and you can unlock things that are locked. If Verizon follows through and unlocks the GPS and things as they say then even better for competition.

Well, that would be a CDMA issue like I said. Sprint doesn't use GSM, so, that only leaves one option.

I've been playing around with my new HTC Touch Pro I got a few hours ago, and even though ATT's branding/software hinders the phone, I still like it. I just wished my memory cards would be here (although I'd be cursing if those came before the phone) but its been everything I've thought it was.

I've been playing around with my new HTC Touch Pro I got a few hours ago, and even though ATT's branding/software hinders the phone, I still like it. I just wished my memory cards would be here (although I'd be cursing if those came before the phone) but its been everything I've thought it was.
Flash it with a different ROM? That's what I did the second I got mine.

I have a Sprint Touch Pro, and I'm loving it. (and I got it for free after rebate, cause negotiating with Sprint is an art I learned over 8 years ago when I first signed up with them lol)

Great freakin phone....

Maybe it's because I'm used to my iPod touch, but using the Internet on my fuze is a bit weird - especially with the touch gestures (zooming in and out).

I have to wait for my 8gb cards from newegg to play with it more, but so far I'm loving it.

If you are planning on getting this phone on Verizon, you are much better off buying the Sprint version if you feel comfortable unlocking it. Regardless of what others in this thread have said, the Verizon version is crippled. Especially when it comes to web viewing, that low memory really gimps the phone.

As soon as you get this device I would be sure to install Opera Mobile on it - any included web application for a winmo device is likely to be utterly useless.

As soon as you get this device I would be sure to install Opera Mobile on it - any included web application for a winmo device is likely to be utterly useless.
It comes preinstalled and is the default web browser.

Phew, thank god. Isn't Microsoft beta testing a new version of WinMo IE?

Yea, and a lot of the custom roms include the new IE versino... but I don't find it nearly as usable as opera.

I am a fan of HTC phones and have been for quite a long time on Cingular/At&T . Used the 2125/3125 then the 8125, then a Touch followed by a touch cruise, and lastly the Fuze. I have a Fuze it is an interesting device but for a phone with that much hardware and cost it just seems sluggish to me. It's multimedia prowess is Ok, but still passable. The fastest and most usable device for internet and multimedia integration is the Iphone/Ipod Touch. Like I said it is a decent phone but for the hardware and money involved it should do better...

If you are planning on getting this phone on Verizon, you are much better off buying the Sprint version if you feel comfortable unlocking it. Regardless of what others in this thread have said, the Verizon version is crippled. Especially when it comes to web viewing, that low memory really gimps the phone.

I'll bet money that you don't even have this phone

I am a fan of HTC phones and have been for quite a long time on Cingular/At&T . Used the 2125/3125 then the 8125, then a Touch followed by a touch cruise, and lastly the Fuze. I have a Fuze it is an interesting device but for a phone with that much hardware and cost it just seems sluggish to me. It's multimedia prowess is Ok, but still passable. The fastest and most usable device for internet and multimedia integration is the Iphone/Ipod Touch. Like I said it is a decent phone but for the hardware and money involved it should do better...

I still have mine set to stock, been to busy lately to tweak it too much.

The phone is still pretty fast at stock, fastest one I have used. Now it does have a lot of ATT bloat and stuff on it. Of course if your running a lot of things at once it will slow down but its a solid phone.

You are right, I don't have the Verizon Touch Pro. I have the Sprint Touch Pro, because I have a SERO plan and I wouldn't pay Verizon's crazy plan prices. I do dabble in the kitchen though with some roms and had two friends with verizon touch pros that I sometimes cook for. One sold his phone off and bought a Sprint touch pro recently, and the other is still dealing with it.

Luckily though for those with the Verizon version, there are a lot of chefs out there cooking up decent roms to even make the gimped version of this phone somewhat liveable. Juicy 4.7 is a great rom in particular. If you have the Verizon model you have to set the page pool to 0 or extremely low though.

Here is the thread on switching a phone over from sprint to verizon...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44663

I'll bet money that you don't even have this phone

I work as a tech in a Sprint store, and though I'm admittedly biased towards Blackberries, I wouldn't touch the Diamond/Pro for the life of me. I've seen wayyyyyy too many issues, including one where if it was turned on before it was activated, it would turn into a brick, needing at LEAST 10-15 hard resets before it would work again. It was due to an automatic activation setting HTC/Sprint decided to go with.

Hmmm. Thats Odd. When I bought my HTC Touch Pro they turned it on at the Sprint Store before it was activated and I have nothing but praise for my phone. No brick.

I *heart* my Touch Pro. Bought here in Taiwan, Chinese/English keyboard. Been running a custom ROMEOS ROM since I got it.

Great phone.

You are right, I don't have the Verizon Touch Pro. I have the Sprint Touch Pro, because I have a SERO plan and I wouldn't pay Verizon's crazy plan prices. I do dabble in the kitchen though with some roms and had two friends with verizon touch pros that I sometimes cook for. One sold his phone off and bought a Sprint touch pro recently, and the other is still dealing with it.

Luckily though for those with the Verizon version, there are a lot of chefs out there cooking up decent roms to even make the gimped version of this phone somewhat liveable. Juicy 4.7 is a great rom in particular. If you have the Verizon model you have to set the page pool to 0 or extremely low though.

Here is the thread on switching a phone over from sprint to verizon...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44663

mine is set to 32 and im using a near stock ROM

I took this video the day I unboxed it, totally stock rom
If this is considered slow compared to a Sprint version then I don't really know what to say
http://namtaru.com/uploads/2008/Files/TF3D_Demo.avi

Great. I pop in my tmobile sim card in the fuze today to use it (since I got it, I've been using a dummy SIM card in it) and when I played with tomtom, it froze. I took out the battery, went though the TFL3D interface, and it again froze. I put the dummy SIM back in, and it worked.

It maybe a fluke, and I'll try again tomorrow, but hopefully this phone won't become a $500 PDA/GPS navigator.

Yeah crippled is an overstatement, some people have trouble understanding there is a middle ground it's not just two extremes, awesome and crap. :p I've done a ton of reading since I plan on picking up the Verizon one and have so far found no legitimate worrying other then your standard carrier-bashing. I'll post back my impressions when it arrives. I also plan on flashing a custom ROM, I've flashed my xv6700 (apache) probably a good 30 times for the hell of it over the years and it's served me well.

I just picked this phone up on Sprint. I have been a long time treo user and after first impressions, I wasn't so impressed. I was used to the ease of use of the Treo. However after loading up a variety of programs on it.. I am loving it. I just got through loading wmwifirouter on it and now I have a portable access point, then loaded a program that allows me to txt my phone if it gets stolen or lost and it will email me the google map of the gps coord. So many options now. Also my internet speeds are exponentially faster than on my treo. Speedtest.net reported 1441/432 from my laptop through the wifirouter. I liked my checkbook register better on the Treo though. :)

I've had the Verizon XV6850 for about 6 weeks and its a very nice device. It's not crippled and I don't have any real issues, some nags. The coolest thing I've found thus far is Kinoma. Its a cloud enabled media player with a very slick UI. Supports YouTube, Picasa Web Gallery and online radio.

There's been a lot of Windows Mobile bashing over the last few weeks, kind of interesting. I think the competition is trying to brace themselves for next month because Microsoft is going to get back in the game in a serious way at Barcelona next month.

The iPhone is going to be looking pretty old soon but if course the mobile area is moving so faster than anything right now.

Back