HTC Reveals the Vive Focus Plus

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, HTC announced an update to their standalone, enterprise-focused VR headset. The Vive Focus Plus incorporates 2 6DoF controllers instead of one, which they claim helps bring the headset up to par with PC VR devices and makes porting applications to the Focus easier. The new headset also "rests easier on consumers' heads" than the original Vive focus, but HTC mentioned that it will use the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor as its predecessor. That isn't surprising, seeing how it will maximize compatibility with existing apps, but the 835 is already 2 generations behind Qualcomm's latest and greatest processors. Thanks to cageymaru and VentureBeat for spotting the report.

Blurring the lines between reality and virtual reality, Vive Focus Plus brings users greater comfort and full enterprise support. Resting easier on consumers’ heads, Vive Focus Plus offers comfort and lays the groundwork for extended sessions in VR needed by commercial customers. The headset also ships with several professional features including Kiosk Mode, Gaze Support, and device management tools to remotely enroll, monitor, and manage multiple headsets all at once. The headset will be available for purchase starting in Q2 2019 on www . vive . com in 25 markets worldwide, supporting 19 languages. In most markets, the product will include an enterprise license for use at no additional cost.

If only HTC could figure out how to do support, we wouldn't have horror stories littering the internet...

Maybe HTC should fix half baked products they have already launched... (Vive wireless adapter specifically)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe HTC should fix half baked products they have already launched... (Vive wireless adapter specifically)
Mine works awesomely. What problems are you having with the wireless?

Ryzen incompatibility. System would power the Wigig card but refused to
recognize it. Returned it during return window.

It was nice that HTC acknowledged ryzen issues and allowed returns, but have been silent ever since, and I doubt the issue will ever be resolved.

Wow, that's really insane. Is the Wi-Gig card just a standard PCI-E device? Especially with the growth of Ryzen 2000 and upcoming 3000 processors, this kind of discrepancy can't be allowed to stand. We need to get beyond the days of software or even hardware having (usually) Intel favored biases on the CPU side and/or Nvidia favored biases on the GPU side

Edit: In other news, I wish that HTC would give out more info on the Vive Pro Eye (high end kit or stand alone visor) and especially the Vive Cosmos (which I can't figure out is designed to be next generation on par or beyond the Vive Pro Eye .

Ryzen incompatibility. System would power the Wigig card but refused to
recognize it. Returned it during return window.

It was nice that HTC acknowledged ryzen issues and allowed returns, but have been silent ever since, and I doubt the issue will ever be resolved.

As a 2700x owner I'll say Ryzen is great, but numbers-wise its still an outlier versus Intel's shipped numbers, much as some want to believe its suddenly insanely relevant. If there's a Ryzen specific hardware bug that HTC couldn't work around with software and/or something they don't have control over, then that would appear as silence, bad as it looks. Its highly improbable they ignored or didn't look into resolving the issue with the factors they have control over -- after all their business model is to sell more headsets and accessories.

They also list the compatibility issue right on the product page "Note : Vive Wireless Adapter is experiencing compatibility issues with a small number of Ryzen chipsets. If impacted, please return the product within Amazon’s return window."

Last edited:
Wow, that's really insane. Is the Wi-Gig card just a standard PCI-E device? Especially with the growth of Ryzen 2000 and upcoming 3000 processors, this kind of discrepancy can't be allowed to stand. We need to get beyond the days of software or even hardware having (usually) Intel favored biases on the CPU side and/or Nvidia favored biases on the GPU side
Some users experienced functionality in one PCIe slot but not in the other. It was weird. And varied from board manufacturer to board manufacturer.

As a 2700x owner I'll say Ryzen is great, but numbers-wise its still an outlier versus Intel's shipped numbers, much as some want to believe its suddenly insanely relevant. If there's a Ryzen specific hardware bug that HTC couldn't work around with software and/or something they don't have control over, then that would appear as silence, bad as it looks. Its highly improbable they ignored or didn't look into resolving the issue with the factors they have control over -- after all their business model is to sell more headsets and accessories.

They also list the compatibility issue right on the product page "Note : Vive Wireless Adapter is experiencing compatibility issues with a small number of Ryzen chipsets. If impacted, please return the product within Amazon’s return window."
I purchased it before that compatibility issue was placed on the product page. Originally, support started with all *dozer platforms and up. And at the time of my purchase, there were already a couple positive user reviews posted. Then the ryzen users hit...

Their official statement uses language that includes "subset of ryzen" motherboards. My guess is that there is something up with the various motherboard implementations. But if they have identified the subset, I wish they would post that information, or alternatively, post those boards that the KNOW are working/compatible. It would be very helpful.

Given how widespread the problems have been with ryzen users (or maybe they are just more vocal?), you would have thought QA at HTC would have caught this before going out the door with it...

EDIT: sorry for derailing and going off topic.

Last edited:
Back