HTC One (2014) Watch Thread

htc was never a top recognized brand... see forbes... just because you know it doesn't mean the average joe does... some people are so conceited...

-----------------

HTC One will be available on the big 4 at 1 PM EST online. Verizon will also have it in stores.

question is when will WorstBuy have the gold edition in stores or online... not that i'm getting it

You have got to be joking...

Htc was recognized by anyone who was considering android a few years ago. Evo was possibly the most recognized phone in the android world at the time. Are you just making these arguments up or do you believe htc was the under dog ever since it got into the market?

Don't really care about CDMA since Verizon will never allow it on their network. And since all LTE phones are GSM anyway, its soon going to matter even less.

Well I'm sure it will be better for htc if they get it out on Verizon soon, but since I have no plans to switch to Verizon ever, I don't care to much.

It would be cool to see this phone supported by the mvno's quickly.

Would love to see the performance of the new GPE version of this HTC One ( M8 ). Want to see how that 2,600mAh battery holds up for all day use ??

Why don't the big phone makers wake up, and start putting in larger 3,000mAh + size batteries, to give us a sold heavy day use on our phones. Only the LG G2, and Sony Z2 did that. I don't count the Note phone, because those are much larger, and always have a good size battery.

But this is the year 2014 already, the S5 should have like 3,200mAh battery, same with this new HTC one.

Wow, I am speechless that you can be so blind. Seeing add this was posted in 2013 and everyone has been talking about passed htc success, but you know facts and stuff...

No matter what you say the facts are this, htc was one of the first successful android brands that helped kick start the echo system. Asking anyone back then most anyone would pick an htc phone with most saying sense ui is better than stock android. They have themselves to blame for their falling name recognition in 2013.

Keep posting you 2013 article, it helps support what most are saying.

Wow, I am speechless that you can be so blind. Seeing add this was posted in 2013 and everyone has been talking about passed htc success, but you know facts and stuff...

No matter what you say the facts are this, htc was one of the first successful android brands that helped kick start the echo system. Asking anyone back then most anyone would pick an htc phone with most saying sense ui is better than stock android. They have themselves to blame for their falling name recognition in 2013.

Keep posting you 2013 article, it helps support what most are saying.
Oh my, a four month old article about brand recognition and power is completely outdated...

HTC was one the first successful android brands... cause it is the first android brand, and yet most people probably wouldn't really recognize HTC. During those days, most people had an Apple product... or something Verizon rebranded as "Droid." You mad, bro?

Would love to see the performance of the new GPE version of this HTC One ( M8 ). Want to see how that 2,600mAh battery holds up for all day use ??

Why don't the big phone makers wake up, and start putting in larger 3,000mAh + size batteries, to give us a sold heavy day use on our phones. Only the LG G2, and Sony Z2 did that. I don't count the Note phone, because those are much larger, and always have a good size battery.

But this is the year 2014 already, the S5 should have like 3,200mAh battery, same with this new HTC one.

I don't know the s4 and htc one last year did fine last year in usage, there were phones that blew them out of the water.

If anything if they are going to stick smaller batteries they should charge less. We know that won't happen though.

Oh my, a four month old article about brand recognition and power is completely outdated...

HTC was one the first successful android brands... cause it is the first android brand, and yet most people probably wouldn't really recognize HTC. During those days, most people had an Apple product... or something Verizon rebranded as "Droid." You mad, bro?

Lol no I'm not mad, because every time you post you seem to support everyone's argument about htc's prior success!

Btw never said it was out dated :)

HTC was *THE* brand back in the day. Put down your rose colored glasses for a second, before the runaway success of the Galaxy line (starting with the S3 but also S2 a little bit) Samsung was barely a factor. Phones like the Evo 4G (the big daddy of them all), Droid Incredible (which made Droid famous), and a number of Windows Phone handsets, were all made by HTC.

They fell out of favor when Samsung rose.

HTC was *THE* brand back in the day. Put down your rose colored glasses for a second, before the runaway success of the Galaxy line (starting with the S3 but also S2 a little bit) Samsung was barely a factor. Phones like the Evo 4G (the big daddy of them all), Droid Incredible (which made Droid famous), and a number of Windows Phone handsets, were all made by HTC.

They fell out of favor when Samsung rose.

The original HTC EVO phone was super popular back in the day, and was a hot one. Girls I know, that were not smartphone nerds whatsoever, knew about 'HTC'. I would say back from 2010 - 2012, the HTC name was pretty popular, it was no iPhone or Galaxy name popular, but probably third place.

To get this back on track:

The OnePlus One will likely go without North American LTE, and as was mentioned, may not arrive until the summer. So, you can wait a few months for a phone that may or may not be good, and might not even have 4G... or you can pay extra for a generally well-reviewed, LTE-capable phone that's available right now.

Heck, if you don't absolutely need the Snapdragon 801 or expandability, the Nexus 5 remains a good deal at $350 and up.

The OnePlus One will likely go without North American LTE, and as was mentioned, may not arrive until the summer. So, you can wait a few months for a phone that may or may not be good, and might not even have 4G... or you can pay extra for a generally well-reviewed, LTE-capable phone that's available right now..

Where did you hear this?

To get this back on track:

The OnePlus One will likely go without North American LTE, and as was mentioned, may not arrive until the summer. So, you can wait a few months for a phone that may or may not be good, and might not even have 4G... or you can pay extra for a generally well-reviewed, LTE-capable phone that's available right now.

Heck, if you don't absolutely need the Snapdragon 801 or expandability, the Nexus 5 remains a good deal at $350 and up.
One+1 already posted that it would support 9 4G LTE bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/39/40/41

Assuming wikipedia is up-to-date on global usage of LTE, this phone (One+1) will have 4G in:
North America: Canada, USA (AT&T, T-Mobile, but limited Verizon and Sprint)
Most of Asia, but limited in Japan
Most of Europe, except Belgium
Nearly all of Africa
Middle East
Oceania (Australia, Fiji, New Zealand)
The Caribbean, except Tricom in Dominican Republic
South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela (Digitel))

Last edited:
Good! Still, you will have to wait for it... and I'd hesitate to put so much faith in a company's first phone.

Good! Still, you will have to wait for it... and I'd hesitate to put so much faith in a company's first phone.
I have to agree with that statement; 1st gen product most likely sucks. Just look at that YotaPhone.

The original HTC EVO phone was super popular back in the day, and was a hot one. Girls I know, that were not smartphone nerds whatsoever, knew about 'HTC'. I would say back from 2010 - 2012, the HTC name was pretty popular, it was no iPhone or Galaxy name popular, but probably third place.

Yea, back then you would be dumb not to get the Evo over the SGS2, I didn't know many who did either.

I'm wondering if Samsung will ever bring the exynos back to America. Qualcomm needs competition here and I don't think we will get a real upgrade for some time.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for a more power hungry soc in phones these days.

I still have my trusty old Evo 4G, it lived a good life. Also the dev community on XDA for the Evo was the most active for a very long time, even after much better phones appeared. It was a much beloved phone, even when HTC abandoned it.

Yea, back then you would be dumb not to get the Evo over the SGS2, I didn't know many who did either.
What? Let's go back in time a little bit.

Since this related to Sprint, when the SGS2, also known as Epic 4G Touch, was released, the HTC equivalent was the Evo 3D, the ultimate gimmick device.

Evo 4G, that first wimax phone, and the SGS, also known as the Epic 4G (with a slider keyboard), is of the same generation.

On Sprint, HTC only had two years on top with the HTC Hero and the Evo 4G. Then it's apple and Samsung all the way.

Don't pretend that HTC had been on top because Apple dominated sells during those times. The only reason htc sold most android phones one year is because HTC saturated the market with tons of junk phones.

Last edited:
I still have my trusty old Evo 4G, it lived a good life. Also the dev community on XDA for the Evo was the most active for a very long time, even after much better phones appeared. It was a much beloved phone, even when HTC abandoned it.

I wish I would of kept mine. I gave it to a friend that smashed their gnex and never saw it again :(

Evo competed with the epic 4g, the epic 4g was a very attractive phone as it had a slide out keyboard and one of the best keyboards a phone ever had. But it also costs $50 more.

The SGS2 was a decent phone but it lacked a screen resolution update and that kept HTC is in good shape. After that though HTC made bad decisions, the 4GLTE was all sealed up and one of the worst phones to work on. Meanwhile Samsung was really improving AMOLED. And IMO was a large part of why people were not interested in the one and Samsung was able to really get traction.

Too bad HTC released the EVO 3D the following year, after the original EVO. The first EVO was an amazing Android device for it's time, and had the best XDA Developer support I have ever seen on a phone. Then the EVO 3D came out, which I bought, and that phone blew chunks, just a sad follow up a year after the awesome first EVO.

I don't think HTC came out with a cool device again, until the One X, and I still think the white colored One X, is a really cool looking phone, great design, was pretty powerful for it's time.

And then the HTC One last year, was easily the best looking and well designed Android phone to date. Too bad it wasn't more popular.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/25/htc-one-m8-review/

It is considered poor form to begin a review with the conclusion, but there’s really no reason to drag this out: the HTC One (M8) is the best Android phone the world has ever seen. Period. Full stop. Of this, there is no doubt. In many ways, in fact, it is the best smartphone the world has ever seen.

BGR is a known Apple lover. These are strong words indeed, and a really good review overall.

HTC follows a very different startegy with their phones - refine, reduce, make the essentials better, don't be afraid to take risks (remove sd card, change Sense, add sd card back, Blinkfeed) and be unique.

Samsung - don't risk change, keep as much same as possible (in both hw and sw), just add extra features to TW (like motion sensing, voice, air controls, smart stay etc) and don't address complaints.

It's actually really funny that BGR said the phone is a game changer whereas TheVerge and Engadget think it's more of the same, TheVerge way more so than Engadget who still love the HTC One regardless.

"If I was a designer at one of HTC&#8217;s rivals, I would be embarrassed right now. The HTC One (M8) is everything a smartphone should be." <-- ROFL... I dunno what could top the band-aid look!

After spending about 3 hrs with it, I still think the M7 looks and feels better... I'm still on the fence. It's only one month till the launch of One+1, I may do a little wait and see.

The absolute best thing about the M8 is the BlinkFeed Launcher and HTC Services are on the Play Store, which means quicker updates and more additional features. But I'm guessing my M7 will get that soon.

I didn't get to play much with the cameras, but I do wish that the FFS camera could have been "UltraPixel" instead for the nightlife selfies.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/25/htc-one-m8-review/

BGR is a known Apple lover. These are strong words indeed, and a really good review overall.

HTC follows a very different startegy with their phones - refine, reduce, make the essentials better, don't be afraid to take risks (remove sd card, change Sense, add sd card back, Blinkfeed) and be unique.

Samsung - don't risk change, keep as much same as possible (in both hw and sw), just add extra features to TW (like motion sensing, voice, air controls, smart stay etc) and don't address complaints.

I'd say them giving me the option for sd card back will make me consider them once again. I'm not into fashion, so the looks of the phone man nothing to me.

The one when it was released last year was very sought after but htc had poor quantity forcing potential buyers into the competition.

Seems like more of the same iterative upgrades, knowing that the original One M7 will get Sense 6. Slightly better camera, bigger battery/better battery life, slightly better guts.

Haven't seen anything in the GS5 or M8 that would compel people to upgrade.

I've also been soured by the garbage radio performance of the One S; having to flash another ROM just to be able to further flash a European baseband that was more stable than the US baseband is embarrassing. I sure hope HTC has made improvements since then, but the Moto X has probably already spoiled me in that regard.

I'm the only one who thinks it's uglier then older one?
welcome to the club, buddy. It's also way too big!

Maybe this year's One Mini would be the same size as last year's version with the same hardware as this year's one other than the screen. I'll probably buy it if that was true. They could have seriously reduced the height of the One by not having that bezel logo. Maybe it's the display's fault, but if Nokia was able to source a 5.something screen without very much bezel, so could have HTC.

I'm the only one who thinks it's uglier then older one?

Absolutely. The original One was a thing of beauty, a work of art. This looks like a cheaper, rounded knockoff made by a different company, trying to copy the One ( M7 ). This new M8 is taller, wider, heavier, and thicker than the M7, that's the opposite way it should be going. I want it thinner and lighter, with a 3,000mAh battery.

Why can't one Android manufacturer stick with a 4.7" screen size, but still be a high end premium device ?

I really wish I could keep my Sprint One M7 and move it to Tmobile or Ting. I love the original One, but HATE Sprint.

edit -- Just looked at Ting. Looks like after April 30th I can move my phone over. Fuck Sprint.

Last edited:
I think some of you are crazy (entitled to your opinion of course).

It's a beautiful phone (I bought one yesterday) and my co-workers having been oodling over it all morning.

From the looks of the iFixit teardown, there isn't a lot of breathing room inside the new One. That bezel may be there simply because the phone's internals dictate the rest of the design.

I'll be trying out the One as soon as I can, but we should resist the urge to pronounce judgment on a phone without actually holding it. I'd prefer something compact like the Moto X, but I won't begrudge a bigger body if it's still comfortable to use.

From the looks of the iFixit teardown, there isn't a lot of breathing room inside the new One. That bezel may be there simply because the phone's internals dictate the rest of the design.

I'll be trying out the One as soon as I can, but we should resist the urge to pronounce judgment on a phone without actually holding it. I'd prefer something compact like the Moto X, but I won't begrudge a bigger body if it's still comfortable to use.
The problem is why HTC didn't just put capacitive buttons on the logo bezel and use the logo as the home button. What a waste of space on screen and off!!!

I too also like my phones to be more compact. Compared to the Nexus 5, the new One is just too big now. I like my thumb to be able to reach the top opposite corner on the screen. The new One is just too large for me. And, yes, I've used it. I'm waiting on what the new One Mini have in store for me.

All that said, the audio ability of this phone almost makes me forget about all the annoyances.

Well, I saw this thing for the first time today.
The build quality is great, of course, and it felt nice.
It&#8217;s pretty. But beyond that I am not very impressed. The camera will have to prove itself before I could be interested at all. I read reviews of the 1st ONE and I could see the difference easily between the ONE camera and the S5 and others.

I don&#8217;t know. This AND the GS5 both leave me wanting more. But the GS5 is just a tad closer. (I think).
The only phone that I would jump on immediately is the Xperia Z2. And that, sadly will never happen on VZW.

Back