HP ZR2740w - 27" IPS - 2560x1440

I disagree. They sold me garbage. Why should I be out $40?

You haven't had much luck between this and the Samsung have ya?

If they ship you a new unit, do you still have to pay extra $$$$$, or is this just if you want a refund? I know it's a pain in the ass, but I've had to do it twice with NEC screens and it worked out well both times.

You haven't had much luck between this and the Samsung have ya?

If they ship you a new unit, do you still have to pay extra $$$$$, or is this just if you want a refund? I know it's a pain in the ass, but I've had to do it twice with NEC screens and it worked out well both times.

I went from the Samsung to this HP, and then back to the Samsung. I've had the 2nd Sammy for a month and an half, and I'm satisfied with it. I'm sure HP wouldn't have charged for shipping a replacement unit(?), but I didn't want to take the chance of having another defective unit.

I went from the Samsung to this HP, and then back to the Samsung. I've had the 2nd Sammy for a month and an half, and I'm satisfied with it. I'm sure HP wouldn't have charged for shipping a replacement unit(?), but I didn't want to take the chance of having another defective unit.

How would you compare the two and why did you return the Samsung first time?

How would you compare the two and why did you return the Samsung first time?

Aside from the QC issues, (malformed bezel and blinking pixels) the HP wasn't bad at all. That is if the extreme AG coating doesn't bother you. The response time, although rated kinda high at 13ms, was pretty fast to my eyes. Much faster than my old HP LP2465 which is rated at 6ms. I have to give the Samsung a slight lead though in perceived response time because it does seem to be faster by a very slight margin. The AG coating is also much better on the Samsung, being much lighter. Black levels appeared to be about the same to me on both monitors.

I returned the first Samsung because it had about a dozen dirt/dust spots embedded in the middle of the screen.

What?? There are some great TVs you can get for under $1,000 (Panasonic Plasma).

They're going to be limited to 1080 or even 720 vertical pixels. Even my 2003-vintage Planar PL201M display does 1200 vertical, and any half-decent 27" monitor will do 1440.

quick update: xbox -> HDMI -> dvi -> zr2740w does NOT work as far as i can tell.

UPDATE: actually it works. see below

Last edited:
Ok recieved the monitor, a few impressions as of day 2. I bought the monitor on amazon for $685 shipped. No problem so far.
Color is great, just an IPS should be. The black level is great, you see black, not grayish black. My dell 23" TN with LED doesn't put out as good black level as this does. However, my lenovo x220 IPS seems better, maybe because it's smaller. As far as Anti-glare coating goes; it's present, slightly grainy if you look at it closely. It's not as bad as a few people claimed that it's impossible to use with black text and white background. It doesnt reduce the sharpness of the text. It works great, you definitely wont be bothered by any glare. My lenovo does have a better AG coating thou.
Anyway, there are only 2 inputs, DP and D-Link DVI. I tested both of them and they work great from my laptop. The only issue is that I cant connect ps3 with it. I used the D-link DVI cable comes with it and attached a HDMI to D-link DVI adaptor and still no go. It works fine that way with my laptop's HDMI..I guess one of the poster was right. The input signal has to be able to put out 2560x1440 natively.
Overall, Im happy so far. I just need a new computer to handle 2560x1440 for gaming. Hopefully Ivy bridge and HD7950 will come out as scheduled. If anyone find out a way to get xbox or ps3 to work..please let me know. I guess ps3 should just stay with the TV in my case. Not that I really care anyway.

Edit, I use 1920x1080 in general for web and writing papers. I only use 2560x1440 when gaming. When using 1920x1080, the sharpness holds well, i dont really see difference in reduced quality. I'm not anal anyway. When using in 2560x1440, it's just too tiny for me. But image is sharp and all.

so...

the xbox actually works fine on the zr2740w in 720p. i just needed to reset the display settings on the console.

oops!

also, i'm now getting the weird blinking pixels in the upper right, but only on the displayport input. dvi is fine. it's about 2-3 pixels at the very very edge of the screen that blink depending on how light the rest of the screen is.

weird stuff!

what did you change? maybe i need to do the same thing on ps3, but i cant see a thing lol.... also what kind of connector did you use?

so...

the xbox actually works fine on the zr2740w in 720p. i just needed to reset the display settings on the console.

oops!

also, i'm now getting the weird blinking pixels in the upper right, but only on the displayport input. dvi is fine. it's about 2-3 pixels at the very very edge of the screen that blink depending on how light the rest of the screen is.

weird stuff!

i held y and right trigger on xbox boot. this reset the xbox to 640x480.

my config is:

xbox -> hdmi -> DL-dvi adapter -> zr2740w

it only displays in 720p and 640x480. 1920x1080 did not display (blue light blinks, no image). i don't have a ps3, so i'm afraid you're on your own on that one.

My zr2740w arrived today, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. This is my first IPS. I got sick of the vertical view angles on my 22" TN, so decided to get away from that.
It has one dead pixel, but I didn't even notice it until I put my face 2 inches from the monitor and looked for them. I was expecting the anti-glare coating to be much worse than it would be after reading all the threads on these forums. I can see what you guys are talking about, but it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Been playing Skyrim for the past several hours and have been very satisfied with how it handles it.

3 of these just arrived today and so far I'm really happy with them, coming from a 3007wfp-hc and 2007fp in portrait. Picture seems much better and they're sexier(thinner) than the hulking 3007. Any mount tips? Been looking at the chief ktp325 but seems kinda dumb compared to the humanscale m8 I have for my previous setup, too bad it can only handle 2 monitors.

Are there more people with this monitor? What are your impressions?

I'll be buying this monitor as a self Christmas present within a couple of weeks!

Are there more people with this monitor? What are your impressions?
I just got one last week. It was a replacement for an Planar 24".

The screen is very bright. I game in somewhat muted color titles so it's not a big deal, but the lack of onscreen controls could be frustrating for someone who does a lot of stuff with bright colors or likes to fine-tune the display for every app they use.

The anti-reflective coating.. hmm.. It doesn't bother *me* but I am fully aware it is there. Not a deal breaker but if it was $100 more I would have expected a less visible AR solution.

Which reminds me, I got a rebate form to send in ahh

- I wish the stand let the monitor sit a *little* lower.
- Dig that it can rotate to portrait, gonna need to try it out with MAME when I get a chance.
- $600ish before rebate, $500ish after? Half the price of an Apple 27". *Motley Crue hand gesture*
- Runs warm, which I expected. Next summer will be interesting.

The screen is very bright. I game in somewhat muted color titles so it's not a big deal, but the lack of onscreen controls could be frustrating for someone who does a lot of stuff with bright colors or likes to fine-tune the display for every app they use.

The anti-reflective coating.. hmm.. It doesn't bother *me* but I am fully aware it is there. Not a deal breaker but if it was $100 more I would have expected a less visible AR solution.

- Dig that it can rotate to portrait, gonna need to try it out with MAME when I get a chance.
- $600ish before rebate, $500ish after? Half the price of an Apple 27". *Motley Crue hand gesture*

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to order mine. :D

Im thinking this is the right price point to do something with then myslef..

my badly aging old westy 37 and the creeping blob...getting bad.. and I just cant imagine anything smaller than a 27 having used the 37 for so long. 30's are nice..but significant jump cost wise..and require more gpu pwr.. so..27" looks to be the sweet spot...

Im thinking this is the right price point to do something with then myslef..

my badly aging old westy 37 and the creeping blob...getting bad.. and I just cant imagine anything smaller than a 27 having used the 37 for so long. 30's are nice..but significant jump cost wise..and require more gpu pwr.. so..27" looks to be the sweet spot...

this will require practically the same amount of "gpu power" it's 2560x1440 not a giant 1920x1080 display.

practically

operative word...

meaning a single 580gtx class should be good to run at reasonably high quality settings.. although I understand you were referencing my comparing 27" to 30"... and there not being much difference.. I get it..

obviously, the westy 37 was just a giant 1080p display.. smaller, higher res anything ( with higher res being the important piece ) will require more gpu pwr than I have now.. again, though.. not more than a single 580 class.. I wouldn't think..

How did you get it for 500ish after rebates? i checked a few sites & forums, didnt see anything about a rebate?

Last edited:
operative word...

meaning a single 580gtx class should be good to run at reasonably high quality settings.. although I understand you were referencing my comparing 27" to 30"... and there not being much difference.. I get it..

obviously, the westy 37 was just a giant 1080p display.. smaller, higher res anything ( with higher res being the important piece ) will require more gpu pwr than I have now.. again, though.. not more than a single 580 class.. I wouldn't think..

fyi i have a single 5850 and 2 2560x1440 panels and i'm basically perfectly happy.

Anyone else having problems with blinking pixels, as seen on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duqq5L46HDw

I've got mine a few weeks ago, and it had blinking pixels in the same location as the video, got a replacement monitor and that one got the same problem.

The pixels are not blinking all the time, only in certain programs, like Google Chrome and Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, and the problems seems to occur more often if colormode is set to 16-bit.

Im using the DisplayPort.

I have the same problem at the exact location as well. I tried different cables even different cards but the problem still exists. I believe it's either a bad batch or something wrong with the DP interface. DVI port has no such problem for me.

I am thinking about buying one of these, but I heard that some people could not select the full 2560 x 1440 resolution in Windows, depending on their video card. A review I read on Amazon stated that a 6450 and a 6770 could not do it, but a 6950 could. I currently own a 6850, and I was wondering if anyone else knows whether a ZR2740W can be set to run at 2560 x 1440 with this card.

I am thinking about buying one of these, but I heard that some people could not select the full 2560 x 1440 resolution in Windows, depending on their video card. A review I read on Amazon stated that a 6450 and a 6770 could not do it, but a 6950 could. I currently own a 6850, and I was wondering if anyone else knows whether a ZR2740W can be set to run at 2560 x 1440 with this card.

it's probably that they have a SL-DVI cable instead of a DL-DVI

I have the same problem at the exact location as well. I tried different cables even different cards but the problem still exists. I believe it's either a bad batch or something wrong with the DP interface. DVI port has no such problem for me.
yes, there's something wrong with the DP interface (is there ever anything right with the DP interface on anything?)

Back