HP ZR2740w - 27" IPS - 2560x1440

Re: Dark stripe

Apparently its a function of the LG panel, and not HPs packaging/electronics.

See my similar issue here on a Korean grey market monitor that uses the LG panels that HP, Dell and NEC won't accept.

But for only 400 bucks - its a flaw I can definitely live with.

BB

I'm really interested in the gaming performance of this monitor. I think it will be visually far superior to my current ASUS 23" 1080p monitor, but I am a bit scared by the lag. Do people have any impressions of it? I am not a serious (i.e. competitive) gamer in any sense, but I also don't want to feel like I am playing with lag.

Unless you're particularly sensitive, and if you were that sensitive, you'd probably still be using a CRT, I doubt you'll notice any issue. Since it has no scalar, it's about as fast as IPS monitors get.

I own 3, and I'm very pleased with them. But if I were buying today, I might chance one of those < $400 Korean monitors which have basically the same LG panel in them.

Some drawbacks being:
1. Iffy warranty and dead pixel guarantees due to being shipped/sold from Korea.
2. They only seem to come with glossy panels.
3. Lack of Displayport inputs.
4. They have VESA mounts, but may require significant dis-assembly to remove their default stands.

Unless you're particularly sensitive, and if you were that sensitive, you'd probably still be using a CRT, I doubt you'll notice any issue. Since it has no scalar, it's about as fast as IPS monitors get.

I own 3, and I'm very pleased with them. But if I were buying today, I might chance one of those < $400 Korean monitors which have basically the same LG panel in them.

Some drawbacks being:
1. Iffy warranty and dead pixel guarantees due to being shipped/sold from Korea.
2. They only seem to come with glossy panels.
3. Lack of Displayport inputs.
4. They have VESA mounts, but may require significant dis-assembly to remove their default stands.

Many thanks. I'm definitely tempted by the Korean models, but I am too scared off by the lack of guarantees of quality. If I bought one, and it turned out a dud for whatever reason, I'd have a lot of explaining to do to my better half. Better to pay a little more and get the guarantees for me which is why I am thinking of this one...

Price definitely caused me to go for one of the Korean models. The way I figure it, I can buy two of them and still come out cheaper with a decent panel.

Especially now that they are down to US$335!!!!!!

BB

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
any new thoughts about this monitor? planing to order it

Dims

Regarding the HP 2740w? Make sure you order from a reputable site that'll take it back if needed.

I bought one of these monitors new, only to find out it doesn't display any sort of picture regardless of system tested on or DVI-D / displayport cable utilized. The monitor itself was manufactured just three weeks ago too.

Regarding the HP 2740w? Make sure you order from a reputable site that'll take it back if needed.

I bought one of these monitors new, only to find out it doesn't display any sort of picture regardless of system tested on or DVI-D / displayport cable utilized. The monitor itself was manufactured just three weeks ago too.

Since when have HP been including the exact date of manufacture on their panels? Because of all the ones I've owned, they only include the month and year.

Since when have HP been including the exact date of manufacture on their panels? Because of all the ones I've owned, they only include the month and year.

Exactly, it was built in March. And I ordered it at the end of March. Therefore... 3 weeks. ;)

Exactly, it was built in March. And I ordered it at the end of March. Therefore... 3 weeks. ;)

Ah okay, I see now. Thanks for the clarification, and it's disconcerting to see so many users post about problems with their ZR2740w panels when I've had great experiences with all my (older, CCFL) S-IPS and TN HP panels :(

Hopefully it's just the newer LED-backlit ones, but even still, I had planned to buy a used ZR2740w if I could find one on the cheap (~$450).

Yeah, I went with the refund as I'm no longer confident about the panel, and got the power supply board on my 2407WFP fixed. Going to hold off a few more years until prices drop further, and RGB LEDs show up in affordable IPS panels.

The zr2740w has WLEDs, and the backlight DID work fine. And the monitor was detected by the systems. Just no picture display whatsoever on three different computers.

Any recent purchasers of this monitor have any feedback? Mostly wondering if the reliability issues were just a fluke with a certain batch or if this is more of a widespread issue.

I had 1 of 4 die, I'd guess the premature death rates are less than 1 in 10, or we'd be seeing a lot more reports, it does have a 3 year warranty from HP, and that can be extended to 5 for a small fee. Since the only one I've had fail, failed within 30 days, I didn't go through HP. But I've read many positive reports of HP's business class warranty in the past. I'm pretty sure this monitor falls under the business class warranty.

This and the Dell are probably the best bets if you want to be guaranteed to have a working monitor for 3-5 years, but if you want to take a chance, those Korean monitors with the same IPS panel, still look pretty sweet, especially considering the price...

I have an extremely specific question which I can't find the answer to by simple search. If you run a game (for example) on your PC, with a non-native res such as 1152x864, what will the monitor do? Will it display nothing?

Just based on what I'm reading, the monitor seems to be picky with resolutions due to no OSD and scaling options. In the nVidia control panel you can force 1:1 pixel display on monitors that tend to stretch the screen, enabling a black border around the image. It's called "no scaling" under Display > Adjust desktop size and position. I'm wondering if this is possible with the monitor, could someone test this for me by changing their Windows res lower and enabling No Scale?

If anyone can find out or already knows the answer, thank you!

(If you were wondering why I would even want to know... I have vertigo and can't play any games full screen, even on my 22", but I'm intrigued by this monitor and want something bigger. Actually I can't play anything right now because I'm too dizzy all the time! Just waiting to get better again. Weird problem.)

If you run a game... with a non-native res such as 1152x864, what will the monitor do? Will it display nothing?
It will display all kinds of non-native resolutions just fine from a PC. (just verified it now.) Not sure why it seems to have problems with non-PC sources. I don't see 1152x864 specifically, but there are probably 20 other options. Some resolutions just may not look as smooth as they would with an onboard scaler. Even in that case, the AMD control panel has an option to "use GPU scaling" which can help. (to some degree - you are still running non-native resolution on an LCD.) Don't know about nvidia.

In the nVidia control panel you can force 1:1 pixel display... I'm wondering if this is possible with the monitor
yes, AMD has a similar setting, the HP can do 1:1 pixel display in the center of the screen at lower resolutions. Good luck!

blassster
If you select "no scaler" from the nvidia CP it will show the image with black bars around it, without stretching it. The scale will be 1:1.
Some games though may override this sitting and still stretch the image.
There is "override the scaling mode set by games" option in the nv cp for that case, - but I'm not sure how it works, as I alway use the native resolution.

Thank you to both of you!

When gamed I used the "override the scaling mode set by games" setting in nVidia CP and it was working as intentioned, with a black border around the game. I was just hoping this monitor didn't have a quirk with non-native resolutions coming from a PC -- but you confirmed that the quirk is with non-PC devices only (such as consoles).

I might just get this beast! Unless I found out something new and comparable is coming soon, before I get the money.

Cheers.

Hello guys, I want to know from any owners of this monitor, how is the ghosting and blurring in games and movies?

And I would love if someone posted a close up picture of where the plastic frame and the actual display come in contact. I want to see if there is a huge gap, well not an actual physical gap but a black bar between what is being displayed and the frame.

I'm asking this because the Eizo ev2336w that I have has a huge gap between the display and the plastic frame at the top (when on, not an actual physical gap).

Thanks

Thanks for your reply NCX, do you think the ghosting is really noticeable? or do you know of any video that shows ghosting other than the one from PRAD playing CS source?

The ghosting would be very noticeable to me and definitely more so vs. the other 2560x1440 monitors I've used, can't say if it will be for you. Keep in mind that the HP lacks a menu so you won't be able to change the color settings.

Your current Eizo is twice as fast as the HP with some pixel transitions .

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-eizo-ev2336wfs-bk-teil6.html#Reaktionsverhalten

while the Viewsonic (Advanced setting) is very similar to the Eizo

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-eizo-ev2336wfs-bk-teil6.html#Reaktionsverhalten

Hello, i would like to ask you guys if any of you had similar issues :
1) first ZR2740w (let's call it A, bought in December 2011) died completely one month after purchase, panel got replaced via the onsite warranty by a new panel (let's call it B; RMA at end of January 2012).
2) i bought a second ZR2740w (let's call it C) a half year later.
3) C died one month ago (end of April 2013), got replaced by probably a new or refurbished panel (call this one D) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnHiEn42cM
4) D died today, same (or very similar) issue as C; i expect a replacement panel around Friday or next Monday :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1wf7QsvWQ

I wonder if it is something at my side, but i can't imagine what, everything else works fine. Socket voltage is withing tolerance (voltage here in Slovakia should be 230V, my socket has 236V which is within the +/-5% tolerance), the issue is present using any of connections (DVI/DP), from any source (tried 2 different computers with 3 different graphic cards - 2x Intel in various computers, 1xNVIDIA), using different power cables.

While i still have year and half left from the warranty of the older display and nearly 2 years of the newer one, i dislike this happening all the time, as it means i am one week without one of my displays, plus i can expect display dying within one year after the warranty expires, which kinda sucks for ~600&#8364; display (that is around a half of my monthly salary).

Last edited:
Hello, i would like to ask you guys if any of you had similar issues :
1) first ZR2740w

I've had two ZR2740w's and both have been running fine without issue. I believe one of them is a couple years old now and I have zero complaints. Using DisplayPort via AMD video card on one and Intel onboard something or other via DVI for the other.

Wish I could offer advice but it might be simply bad luck or perhaps they have a lot of failures and I'm lucky...

Well, for now i got D replaced for E (reported it that day to service center, got it replaced 2 days later) :), and i was told by the service center that in case E fails too i am entitled to full refund - too bad C was bought at lowered price of 500&#8364; compared to typical price of 620&#8364;... Let's hope it won't fail like the previous ones.

I'm still using my original one without issue. Really sucks when you have to go through multiple RMA's like that.

Got mine in late 2011.

I know this thread is a little old at this point, but I just wanted to chime in.

I just bought a HP ZR2740w and got it in last night. I've been playing Titanfall on it. No complaints whatsoever with lag. Same with TF2 and slower games heh. This is a v2 panel so the AG coating is very subtle, it is less noticeable than the AG on my u2410.

All in all, I'm a happy camper so far. :)

Well, for now i got D replaced for E (reported it that day to service center, got it replaced 2 days later) :), and i was told by the service center that in case E fails too i am entitled to full refund - too bad C was bought at lowered price of 500€ compared to typical price of 620€... Let's hope it won't fail like the previous ones.

There are quite a few users reporting issues with the power supplies in this model. I think there may have been a bad batch. Obviously they are not all having this issue, as many users here and on other forums have had monitors that have been problem free for many years.

I just got mine on a refurb deal through Woot! for $292 shipped. So far, so good! Beautiful panel, better than I expected, honestly. Had the issue with the damn lock on the stand, which is how I found this thread. All good now, so thanks for all the candid feedback on this display!

Back