HP ZR2740w - 27" IPS - 2560x1440

27” ehh
I could get a good tv for that much, it's just too expensive.

What?? There are some great TVs you can get for under $1,000 (Panasonic Plasma).

Only Panasonic plasmas I like are the VT-series. Cheapest one right now is right around $2500 (P55VT30). My current one cost a little under $3k when I got it (P58VT25). I do see that the GT-series is much cheaper, though I would really miss the 96Hz mode (and the larger contrast ratio of the VT is always nice). I personally wouldn't bother with the S-series and X-series

You can't compare a high res display to any TV anyway.

Agreed. Though I wish they made small high-res plasmas for PC purposes since the IQ is so much better; I'd gladly pay $2000+ for a 30" 2560x1600 plasma (though since no one makes plasmas smaller than 40" or so, I'm guessing that making a small plasma isn't very feasible)....

Anyway are there any "professional" reviews of this HP yet? If the AG isn't too bad, I might go for it...

Can you explain what it is that makes 16:9 so much worse than 8:5 for doing actual work? I can't imagine being more productive on say.. a 27" 1920x1200 monitor compared to a 27" 2560x1440 display. Only reason 16:9 ever bothered me was the lack of vertical resolution, but 1440 seems sufficient to me... I don't think 160 extra vertical pixels would be worth paying 2x the price.

Use two monitors of the same size then compare them side by side. And you will see for yourself why I prefer a 16:10 ratio monitor than a 16:9 monitor. I don't mean a comparison watching movies.

And you actually answered the question within your post. Its the lack of vertical resolution I was referring to.

Still no proper reviews on this monitor, just the manufacturer's specs still. Kinda irritating since you think someone would've done one by now.

Thanks for posting that. Looks pretty damn good to me. AG coating looks mild to moderate on the close up but then that never bothered me too much anyways. Might just order it myself soon...

edit: Detailed review of the zr30w for comparison. Seems to be a fairly "fast" IPS so if this new 27" is faster than that its probably on par with all but the fastest TN panels. Unless you really really need 120hz for smooth gaming or something the zr2740 is probably plenty fast.

edit2: ordered it just now. Best price I could find from a reputable dealer was $682, shipping was $20, tax was free :D. Can't wait to see it, just hope my LCD arm is up to the task of supporting it.

Last edited:
If the AG on the ZR27 looks the same as the ZR30w, then it is aggressive:mad:

Really interested in this monitor as a cheaper alternative to the u2711. What other monitors do we have at this size and resolution?

This will be my first ips, always had cheap TN panels before I knew any better. The jump from TN 22" 1680x1050 to IPS 27" 2560x1440 should be pretty amazing. I'll probably need to pick up a gtx 580 as well, I'm currently using my trusty gtx 460 1g. Do you guys think I need the 3 gig 580 at this reso?

Last edited:
3GB 580? No. 1.5GB will be more than enough. You might see some real benefit from SLI though.

NCX: video has closeups of the screen, AG didn't look bad at all.

Can't find the manual from HP's site, but going through the specs it seems that just like the ZR30 it lacks OSD image calibration options providing just brightness and source options.
This is a step down from the ZR24W and renders it pretty useless for any graphic or image editing use.

You can't edit the other options through the nV/AMD/Intel control panel in the OS? I'm not doing Serious Graphical Arts work so I don't care personally but it would be good to know. Anand somehow was able to do calibration for the ZR30W without OSD controls.

Based on initial response time guesstimates I ordered one. Got it from Macmall for $697 shipped, no tax. I believe they charge tax in CA, IL, TN, and NY,

Link to MacMall: http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Monitors/product~dpno~8878471~pdp.gjafaef

Was looking at the Samsung S27A850d, but the quality control issues steered me away. No recent deals for the U2711 under $900 either. For ~$200 cheaper it was hard to resist. Will finally be able to view two Gawker sites at the same time side by side with their stupid layout :p Mainly want it for BF3, but will have to update my graphics (GTX 260 192-shader :(

Will report findings when I get it.

120Hz monitor usually shows very high input lag, do not know why, but in tests I have seen so far input lag on 3D 120hz monitors was extreme high like 40-60ms etc ...

NCX: video has closeups of the screen, AG didn't look bad at all.

The blacks look the same on the lagom page, only aggressive AG coating reduces reflections like that=both HP's use aggressive AG coating.

120Hz monitor usually shows very high input lag, do not know why, but in tests I have seen so far input lag on 3D 120hz monitors was extreme high like 40-60ms etc ...

99% of websites uses dated+inaccurate ways to measure input lag, so they end up with very high values. Only the Acer GD235HZ has had any input lag (18ms/1 frame) which is still very low.

Not saying you're wrong, maybe the camera hides the effect up close or my eyes or broken I dunno, it seemed better than the Dell u2711 that I've seen up close.

Well, I'm pretty angry right now. I've actually had this monitor since last Wednesday, but didn't open it until just a couple hours ago. I wish I hadn't. I had a bad feeling about buying it from the get go. Once I unboxed it the first thing I noticed was the bottom of the front bezel was not assembled correctly. I was able to snap it into place, but it's actually warped to where there's a slight gap in between the panel and the bezel. The gap stretches about 1/4 of the entire bottom, and would no doubt let dust fall in.

I hooked it up to my two PC's, turned them on, and noticed the second irritating thing, the AG coating. Holy crap is it aggressive! I've read on here countless times about it, but this is my first time seeing it in person. There is no call for it to be this aggressive. White/light colors are too sparkly for me to handle. This was all the justification I needed to return it, but then I noticed another problem.

There are 10 or so pixels in a row on the very top row of the screen that blink constantly. Like I said I've got two PC's hooked up to this monitor, one in the DVI input, and the other in the Displayport, and this happens on both. I took a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duqq5L46HDw

I'm sick and tired of returning monitors, and this will make it my 5th one in almost 2 months. Why can't anyone make a decent monitor anymore?

That must be annoying Bladestorm. I knew it would have the aggressive AG, thanks for the confirmation.

HP ZR2740W, welcome to the IPS trash pile.

Sadly the only good option is the ACD quality control wise since BB sells them. All of the high end 1440p displays from Eizo/NEC use the same nasty AG coating.

The busted bezel + blinking pixels is likely shipping damage, still pretty damn irritating. Guess my eyes are broken since the AG coating isn't bugging me in either video. To bad if it drives you guys nuts.

That must be annoying Bladestorm. I knew it would have the aggressive AG, thanks for the confirmation.

HP ZR2740W, welcome to the IPS trash pile.

Sadly the only good option is the ACD quality control wise since BB sells them. All of the high end 1440p displays from Eizo/NEC use the same nasty AG coating.

I wish the Hazro's didn't have such bad QC. I was going to get one of them, but since I don't live in the UK I'm not taking the chance. Sadly I think you're right about the ACD. I'd get one of them, but since I need to hook up two PC's I don't think it's feasible?

The busted bezel + blinking pixels is likely shipping damage, still pretty damn irritating. Guess my eyes are broken since the AG coating isn't bugging me in either video. To bad if it drives you guys nuts.

The box it shipped in was in very good condition. I think this was an assembly/QC issue. None of these company's take pride in what they do anymore. Just build it as cheap as you possibly can and keep the shareholders happy. :mad:

I've had one since last week. No QC issues like Bladestorm reported, thankfully, although it definitely feels like it was 'built to a price.'

The AG is definitely aggressive, and more or less equivalent to the Dell U2711 (a friend has one). IQ seems to be pretty good so far, decent contrast, colors and white balance after you play around with the brightness a bit (which is awkward since there's no OSD). Photos taken with my Nikon D7000 look excellent. The uniformity of the backlighting could be better, but then again I've never been pleased with this in any LCD that I've seen (why can't someone make a 2560 30" Plasma?! :)).

Overall, I'll likely keep it. For the price it's a pretty good display, and I'm not offended by the AG coating. I did some light gaming on it (CS, L4D) over the weekend and it worked quite well, no noticeable ghosting, and having everything in super high rez was quite lovely.

Mine arrived a few days ago and I'm very satisfied. I'm loving the extra resolution and the real estate to boot. I had the distinct feeling that I was cheating the first time I played a sniper on the BF3 beta. But, I'm going to need quite an upgrade from my GTX 260 to get smooth gameplay on all those pixels.

Mini review:

Obligatory black screen showing backlight quality:

BlackContrast.jpg

Color contrast screen:

000_0235.jpg

The contrast screen probably does more to show how terrible my old digital camera is, but also shows that the screen is pretty well calibrated out of the box. I am going to rent a monitor calibrator from a local camera shop sometime in the next week and get it zeroed in though. If I had to make a judgement I'd say that both the contrast and the brightness are just a smidge too high, but the calibrator will be a better judge.

I can definitely see how some people could be put off by the anti glare, but I need it since my whole apartment has large windows with bamboo blinds that let some light through. But after literally a few seconds I can't see the "sparkle" and have to refocus my eyes if I'm looking for it. In comparison I've got a glossy HP w2207h next to it which I can hardly use during the day.

Speaking of a few seconds, the power light only stays on for a few seconds after you turn it on. Typically being on the front of the monitor some people dislike any notification lights on TVs or other displays. Even though the power light in this case is diminutive, turning it off resolves that problem.

One thing I want to ask: Anyone else with the monitor have a power button that seems stuck?

The three other buttons all have a distinctive action, but the power button just needs to be extremely lightly touched to be activated. Also, the monitor mysteriously turned off a couple of times the first day I had it, so I'm wondering if there is a problem with the power button. It seems strange to have 3/4 of the only buttons on the screen be different than the final one. It's a bit inconsistent, but is my biggest complaint, which is a compliment to HP.

OK just got this monitor in today and out of the box its beautiful. Just some minor tweaks to brightness/contrast and it was good to go at least for my eyes. No shipping damage or blinking pixels or any BS.

Yes I can see the aggressive AG on a full white screen a la the google search page but even then it isn't obtrusive and I have to stare a bit before it jumps out at me. For pretty much anything non white even if I get real close to the screen and stare its almost impossible to see.

All in all I'm very happy with this monitor. Bang for the buck is unbeatable right now if you aren't effected by aggressive AG.

One thing I want to ask: Anyone else with the monitor have a power button that seems stuck?
Have to fully depress mine to turn it off and on, same as the others.

Last edited:
Just got this monitor two days ago and have to admit It's pretty damn good. Think I got real lucky because there are no dead pixels,back lighting is very even (little bit of spill in the lower corners) and no defects in the bezels or anything. Out of the box the colors are very good as well as black levels( will be doing some calibration over the weekend)

As far as response times and ghosting I dont do much gaming but while 3d modeling in Max,Zbrush and Mudbox I dont notice any bluring or overshooting in shaded or wireframe modes. Editing clips in Premiere and composite work in AFX are very smooth as well (nothing more annoying than ghosting when scrubbing timelines)

All in all Im very happy with it, it could use a alot less on the AG and that really would make this monitor about perfect. Now if I could have the AG coating from my Planar PX2710MW on this monitor I would be doing back flips of happiness.

Last edited:
I'm not really a gamer, but I do watch a lot of hi-def video and have a TV tuner card, and I have to say there is a significant difference in motion (for the better) with the HP vs my old 19" Dell IPS monitor. That was one of the deciding factors in me keeping this monitor and just removing the AG sheet, my only complain about it. If I can find a glossy or less aggressive AG protective sheet to put in it's place I'll be set for the long haul with this screen. I had my last one for about 7 years.....

I received a defective unit which gets recognized by my desktop but doesn't display anything. Just got off the phone with HP customer support and it didn't take very long before they put the issue into escalation. When I get a replacement, I'll compare to my LP2475w.

The IPS glow seems rather minimal I have to say. If this had the semi gloss coat as Samsung's 27 PLS we would have a near perfect monitor.

I wish they made larger 2560x1440 panels.

Just thinking out loud here.

Back