HP ZR24w

Been a good monitor, but went to a HP 2509b, wanted a glossy screen.

What ya figure a used one is good for? $275 fair?

Hmm, did you mean the U2412M? I saw a few people comparing it to the ZR24w on the Dell thread and it seemed like they thought they were mostly on par. I
I'm actually trying to decide between the two, gonna be buying two of either.

Problem is, Dell's site gives me a $320 price quote on the screens (Dell Puerto Rico) but then wants to charge me taxes on both displays before the discount ($50+), and on top of that they want $110 to ship both! I'm gonna need to talk to a rep to see if that's right but the site quotes an $800 total all thru checkout...

Whereas J&R recently dropped the ZR24w to $350 and they only charge me like $60 to ship both, plus I got a discount code that brings the total down to $750. It's not a big difference in the grand scheme, but hey, $50 is $50... That'll buy me Dues Ex HR. :p

u2412m had a known rampant bleeding issue on top of the additional 70 dollars i would i have to pay after tax. Seeing slickdeals posting the 250AR zr24w i quickly jumped on it without hesitation.

u2412m had a known rampant bleeding issue on top of the additional 70 dollars i would i have to pay after tax. Seeing slickdeals posting the 250AR zr24w i quickly jumped on it without hesitation.

Gah, shame I missed that deal... Altho I don't think MacMall ships to Puerto Rico anyway. I'm not seeing a deluge of bleeding issues on the U2412M thread here o the boards, did you read about this elsewhere? Two ZR24w's are still cheaper for me, shipped to PR, so I'm leaning towards them anyway unless Dell can cut me some slack on the shipping costs and/or the way they're calculating tax (it really shouldn't be pre-discount).

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and I just bought the HP ZR24w (my first IPS monitor) like a week ago from MacMall ($300!) and was wondering if someone could help answer a few to questions/concerns I had:

1. The top frame area of this monitor gets extremely hot (within maybe an hour or two of usage)...much more than I would like...it's not hot enough to burn my hand or anything..but its hot enough to slowly cook an egg...is this normal? The amount of heat really concerns me...is my monitor faulty or is this normal with IPS monitors?

2. I currently have the monitor on default factory settings...would reducing brightness reduce the heat issue?

3. What would you all say is the ideal settings for this monitor? brightness/contrast/color settings? I hear some people say to change brightness to 0 and contrast to 80 or 100. Would this be recommend?

I am extremely happy with this monitor - my only real issue is how heat is produced on the top of the monitor...if my ps3 was this hot..I would be really concern...and probably think the fans are clogged or there isn't enough ventilation....

Thoughts/Advice/Recommendations? Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and I just bought the HP ZR24w (my first IPS monitor) like a week ago from MacMall ($300!) and was wondering if someone could help answer a few to questions/concerns I had:

1. The top frame area of this monitor gets extremely hot (within maybe an hour or two of usage)...much more than I would like...it's not hot enough to burn my hand or anything..but its hot enough to slowly cook an egg...is this normal? The amount of heat really concerns me...is my monitor faulty or is this normal with IPS monitors?

2. I currently have the monitor on default factory settings...would reducing brightness reduce the heat issue?

3. What would you all say is the ideal settings for this monitor? brightness/contrast/color settings? I hear some people say to change brightness to 0 and contrast to 80 or 100. Would this be recommend?

I am extremely happy with this monitor - my only real issue is how heat is produced on the top of the monitor...if my ps3 was this hot..I would be really concern...and probably think the fans are clogged or there isn't enough ventilation....

Thoughts/Advice/Recommendations? Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

congrats, I was in the macmall deal myself. I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, mine does the same and its only after long use. I have plenty of ventilation around my monitor so I'm not worried.

As for the settings, I just use the factory ones because it looks great! sRGB looks the best for color, and stock brightness and stock contrast looks great, which is 90/80 respectively.

congrats, I was in the macmall deal myself. I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, mine does the same and its only after long use. I have plenty of ventilation around my monitor so I'm not worried.

As for the settings, I just use the factory ones because it looks great! sRGB looks the best for color, and stock brightness and stock contrast looks great, which is 90/80 respectively.

Thanks duke - yeah , I have a lot of ventilation as well. I'm just not used to so much heat off a monitor..it was surprising. After a few hours of gaming (Dead Island) it was concerning...but if it's normal...that's ok i guess. factory settings do look great! maybe i will keep it on that as well.

The stock brightness setting is too high and that's what's causing the heat issue. I use mine at 0 brightness personally and still wish it could go lower when I'm using it in a dark room.

The stock brightness setting is too high and that's what's causing the heat issue. I use mine at 0 brightness personally and still wish it could go lower when I'm using it in a dark room.

did u leave contrast as stock?

Thanks guys - ill try reducing the brightness and see how i like it. If the monitor stays cool and everything looks decent..why not.

it's just scary how hot this thing gets...it could keep my room warm during the winter...lol

another happy new zr24w owner here.. except...

i jsut got a macbook pro 2011, bought a mini displayport to displayport cable from monoprice but it won't output a good signal to the monitor.the screen flickers briefly before going dark, flickers on for a half-second, then dark, repeatedly.

i called Apple they want me to bring the macbook and my monitor to an Apple store for troubleshooting. what a pita. not sure i'm going to do that I'm actually thinking of returning the macbook. it's way too expensive for something so basic to just not work. first level tech support said it's a known issue Apple is researching. pfff

anyone else have trouble with this? did some searching around and found other people with the same problem on the macrumors forums. some are doing mdp to dvi as a workaround but my pc is connected to the zr24w with dvi.

it's kind of crazy Apple can't make their stuff work with common peripheals. hell windows has to deal with so much more variation in hardware compared to Apple and they seem to get it right most of the time.

Last edited:
I use 34 brightness and 90 contrast, then its calibrated using my Spyder.

I took your suggestion and did 34/90..and so far i like it. The display looks good and im getting a lot less heat from the top of the monitor now. Yay! Any brightness between 0 - 30 is just to dull for me. I think it is a mental thing for everyone...I used to have my TN at like 90-100 brightness..so maybe im just used to a higher level. For me 30-50 brightness is fine. I read if you have brightness over like 10..than contrast over 90 is bad...so I think 34/90 sounds good (nice balance?). I don't have a color calibrator machine (nor willing to spend the money for it) so I just left it on RGB...I rather not mess with it, if i don't know what im looking for. im not super picky about colors being just slightly off...

So I bought mine through macmall through the deal. I requested HP for another one because mine had a stuck pixel. They said no problems and a tech will be at my house in 2 days. Well the new monitor is here, however after doing a quick scan, I found bad pixel on the top of the screen...not only that, this monitor is a REFURBBED....not brand new...the info says 8 hour of use, and its definitely used and not a sealed unit...its also an older build model, mine is built in July 2011

I'm going to call HP again and demand a BRAND NEW unit...I paid for a brand new unit, I should receive one

So I bought mine through macmall through the deal. I requested HP for another one because mine had a stuck pixel. They said no problems and a tech will be at my house in 2 days. Well the new monitor is here, however after doing a quick scan, I found bad pixel on the top of the screen...not only that, this monitor is a REFURBBED....not brand new...the info says 8 hour of use, and its definitely used and not a sealed unit...its also an older build model, mine is built in July 2011

I'm going to call HP again and demand a BRAND NEW unit...I paid for a brand new unit, I should receive one

that sucks..i think i might of gotten lucky...i just opened paint (white/black background) and quickly checked to see if i saw any dead/stuck pixels..i didn't...but i probably should use one of those programs. kinda don't want to..if i see something dead..its going to bug the hell of of me...lol

ouch mang. i'm not having the heat issues people are talking about on my monitor.

that sucks..i think i might of gotten lucky...i just opened paint (white/black background) and quickly checked to see if i saw any dead/stuck pixels..i didn't...but i probably should use one of those programs. kinda don't want to..if i see something dead..its going to bug the hell of of me...lol

yeah, that MS paint should be fine for the most part...mine was pretty obvious, and I didn't have to use the program to find it...MS paint would have done the same

anyway, I'm gonna be calling them tomorrow....and demanding for a new one...this is un called for....if the next one doesn't work out, I'll probably ask for a refund...they got their chance to make up for it

so I called hp today regarding my replacement being bad

everything went smooth until the part where I asked "so this next replacement is going to be a new monitor and not refurb correct?" and the operator said no its going to be a refurb. I let him know of my concerns that I don't understand why I should get refurbbed monitors when I paid brand new for one. He basically said "the first replacement is brand new but any thing after that is refurbbed"....I told him this is my first replacement, and its a refurbbed....he put me on hold and I'm guessing he was talking to his supervisor or looking at the policies...but basically he came back saying "if you bought this from somewhere else besides HP, then you would get refurbbed monitors"

After we go back and forth a few times, basically he says he will open up another case and have it escalated to try and get me a "new" replacement. So we'll see how that goes...bah, it just kinda sucks how you pay for a new monitor but you get some old one

If this next one is refurbbed and it works well...I guess I'll keep it...but it just annoys me how its still not brand new

That's why I ordered my monitor directly from HP.

My second monitor was brand new in the box the Tech didn't even bother to check my first one it was a direct swap no questioned asked.

That's why I ordered my monitor directly from HP.

My second monitor was brand new in the box the Tech didn't even bother to check my first one it was a direct swap no questioned asked.

I guess I'm just being super nit picky...But I'll get over it eventually....I mean its been 7 days since I received my first HP monitor. And that feeling of "its new" is still within me

If this next monitor is refurbbed and its 100% perfect...no exterior damage, no performance issues, etc etc...I guess I don't mind keeping it. I'll hate my life constantly switching out monitors because they are bad

I am using it at this time at 15% brightness.

Who can possibly use it at factory setting (90%) and what for, especially with white background?

I am using it at this time at 15% brightness.

Who can possibly use it at factory setting (90%) and what for, especially with white background?

I'm at 75% brightness but my screen is also calibrated.

I found anything under 50% was to dim.

And yes 90% is too bright.

The brightness of the backlight will fade over time, so it's good to have a high output to work with...

gahhh...so I finally got my "brand new" replacement today...HP over nighted to me...good service of them

freakin theres another bad pixel on this one...yes it is brand new, yes I wiped it down through with a damp cloth just to make sure it isn't dust....i tried to massage it....still no go...its bad

I'm going to request for another one...gahhh, at this point, I don't care if its brand new or used...just gimme a damn working monitor...and please, no external damaged one or old stock from April 2010

Last edited:
Well I am one of the latest to purchase this monitor. After going through 4 TN panels, I settled on this for the value factor, knowing I couldn't live with the TN gamma shift.

I am happy with the monitor. It does have the dreaded "dirty white" (pink) tint uniformity problem, at the bottom of the screen in my case. From reading many comments on the net about this monitor, and many IPS montiors in general, it seems like a fairly common trait. I could go through the exchange game, but I doubt I will end up ahead in the end, and probably with less hair.

I used to think I was the born loser when it came to buying the dud. It seemed like everything I bought I ended up with a bad copy, unit, whatever. I've since concluded that I am not the born loser I thought I was. The reality of the situation is that imperfection is just a fact of life. The world isn't perfect as it turns out, and I figured the sooner I realized that the happier I would be. I could obsess over these things until my face turned blue, but I would only be hurting myself.

I am not about to test for dead pixels, look at my screen from all angles in a pitch dark room, etc. etc. I have read that some have gone back to TN panels, concluding that affordable IPS just doesn't produce the goods, that somehow it hasn't been perfected yet. I myself will keep this cheap IPS screen. The modest $100 premium over a so called "good" TN panel is well worth it, pinkish hue uniformity issues aside. I'm into photography on a hobbiest level, and seeing an image change in exposure as much as one stop from the bottom of the screen to the top when sitting in the so called optimal position makes this HP ZR24w an absolute dream, even with all it's warts.

I just got this monitor, and I think something may be wrong. When I move my head around while viewing it the contrast seems to vary. Even worse, when I change my viewing angle from straight on to from the top down there is this wide gray horizontal blur that rises up from the bottom. It looks like a shadow of some sort but isn't.

This video sort of shows what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRZISsxPks

Any thoughts?

I just got this monitor, and I think something may be wrong. When I move my head around while viewing it the contrast seems to vary. Even worse, when I change my viewing angle from straight on to from the top down there is this wide gray horizontal blur that rises up from the bottom. It looks like a shadow of some sort but isn't.

Any thoughts?

hey man...i went ahead and tried what you did in the youtube video. move up and down and try to duplicate that horizontal bar...it looks like my monitor does it as well....but mine isn't gray...its more of a darker color...i think its a reflection of me? since i'm wearing a black t shirt

hey man...i went ahead and tried what you did in the youtube video. move up and down and try to duplicate that horizontal bar...it looks like my monitor does it as well....but mine isn't gray...its more of a darker color...i think its a reflection of me? since i'm wearing a black t shirt

This is completely normal and isn't a t-shirt reflection.

This is completely normal and isn't a t-shirt reflection.

Really? It looks like ass. My old $300 in 2006 Soyo 24" PVA monitor doesn't do this and has better quality viewing angles. I thought IPS was supposed to be the bomb lol, or is this just a ZR24W problem? Problem is this fuzzy gray bar effect is noticeable often as I do not keep my head perfectly still all the time. Very annoying.

Any thoughts?

I don't see this on my monitor!

I think its time to RMA!

Really? It looks like ass. My old $300 in 2006 Soyo 24" PVA monitor doesn't do this and has better quality viewing angles. I thought IPS was supposed to be the bomb lol, or is this just a ZR24W problem? Problem is this fuzzy gray bar effect is noticeable often as I do not keep my head perfectly still all the time. Very annoying.

I don't see it in normal viewing distance though unless the angle goes very extreme. You sound like it's happening from normal viewing distance.

Is it happening from normal viewing distance? Because it doesn't for me. I just put my head about 8 inches from the screen and moved it up until the angle became extreme to see this horizontal grey bar on white.

I don't see it in normal viewing distance though unless the angle goes very extreme. You sound like it's happening from normal viewing distance.

Is it happening from normal viewing distance? Because it doesn't for me. I just put my head about 8 inches from the screen and moved it up until the angle became extreme to see this horizontal grey bar on white.

My viewing distance is about 15 inches and I notice it if I move my head closer to the screen or at a about a 30 degrees off axis I start seeing it come up from the bottom. My friend got this monitors several months ago and his does it too I just found out. I do not see how this has been overlooked by other users...

I know what you mean. I do see the same effect with whites on the U2412M, also eIPS - from about 45deg the darkened area is in the middle of the screen.

But something similar occurs on S-PVA and A-MVA from the screens I have in front of me. S-PVA more of a general darkening (no light period after the darkened area), A-MVA a bit more band-like.

I have to say the screen performing best when checking for this is an oldskool S-IPS 2005FPW.

Back