HP ZR24w

Alrighty, my ZR24W has officially packed up. Starting on Friday of last week it would periodically go blank (playing a game or just hanging out on the desktop), and the power light would stay blue. The image would eventually come back after a few power cycles of the monitor. Every time I would power it up I could see a dim flash of what I had on the screen, as though it was trying to start but couldn't.

The computer was still functioning fine in the background when it went blank (I could hear missiles whistling by while playing BF3!), so I thought that perhaps something had gone wrong with my GTX 580's fan or airflow in my case and it was overheating. I ran furmark and checked the temps, but it only maxed out at 65C. I tried different sources, no dice. The next time the monitor went blank, I realized that I couldn't even get the OSD to come up - something was definitely up with the monitor.

Now the problem has gotten so bad that the display won't show the image for more than 5 seconds, and that's when it would have otherwise come back to life.

I've spent an aggregate of 3 hours on the phone this weekend trying to get a replacement sent from HP, but have spent the majority of that time on hold, got disconnected by them transferring me once, and this morning the guy told me he would have to call me back in 1 hour but never did. Really poor showing by HP, particularly that at 4.50am this morning it still took 40 minutes to get a hold of someone (who ultimately broke the promise he made about calling me back...).

If there are any HP reps on the forum, please take note - this is ridiculous.

Alrighty, my ZR24W has officially packed up. Starting on Friday of last week it would periodically go blank (playing a game or just hanging out on the desktop), and the power light would stay blue. The image would eventually come back after a few power cycles of the monitor. Every time I would power it up I could see a dim flash of what I had on the screen, as though it was trying to start but couldn't.

The computer was still functioning fine in the background when it went blank (I could hear missiles whistling by while playing BF3!), so I thought that perhaps something had gone wrong with my GTX 580's fan or airflow in my case and it was overheating. I ran furmark and checked the temps, but it only maxed out at 65C. I tried different sources, no dice. The next time the monitor went blank, I realized that I couldn't even get the OSD to come up - something was definitely up with the monitor.

Now the problem has gotten so bad that the display won't show the image for more than 5 seconds, and that's when it would have otherwise come back to life.

I've spent an aggregate of 3 hours on the phone this weekend trying to get a replacement sent from HP, but have spent the majority of that time on hold, got disconnected by them transferring me once, and this morning the guy told me he would have to call me back in 1 hour but never did. Really poor showing by HP, particularly that at 4.50am this morning it still took 40 minutes to get a hold of someone (who ultimately broke the promise he made about calling me back...).

If there are any HP reps on the forum, please take note - this is ridiculous.

Amazing how I woke up yesterday with the same problem only being hooked up to my Macbook Pro. I called technical support today @ 1800-888-5858 (press 3 for tech support) & talked to a rep, told him the problem with it and they settled on the unit having to be replaced. They said it will come in 1-2 business days. Hopefully things work out for you man

Amazing how I woke up yesterday with the same problem only being hooked up to my Macbook Pro. I called technical support today @ 1800-888-5858 (press 3 for tech support) & talked to a rep, told him the problem with it and they settled on the unit having to be replaced. They said it will come in 1-2 business days. Hopefully things work out for you man

I eventually got through to someone earlier this week and the replacement has arrived, but I actually may have found the problem. When this first happened I tried to swap the dvi cables but nothing changed - I grabbed another dvi cable from work to try and sure enough it worked. I haven't had the issue in two days now. I don't know what the odds are of having TWO bad dvi cables (I'm sure quite low), but I'm encourage by what I've seen so far.

I'm going to let things settle for another few days before I return the replacement to make sure this indeed has solved it.

I run mine using Display Port, try that if you can, it might sound crazy but it seems to have better text clarity using DP.

I eventually got through to someone earlier this week and the replacement has arrived, but I actually may have found the problem. When this first happened I tried to swap the dvi cables but nothing changed - I grabbed another dvi cable from work to try and sure enough it worked. I haven't had the issue in two days now. I don't know what the odds are of having TWO bad dvi cables (I'm sure quite low), but I'm encourage by what I've seen so far.

I'm going to let things settle for another few days before I return the replacement to make sure this indeed has solved it.

Alright, turns out the odds were too good to be true (went blank a second ago). I'll try the replacement out tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't suffer from any of the other issues listed in this thread..

Alright, turns out the odds were too good to be true (went blank a second ago). I'll try the replacement out tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't suffer from any of the other issues listed in this thread..

Alright, I've got my replacement up and running. The good news is that it doesn't (so far) go randomly blank. The bad news is that the upper-right quadrant of the display is WAY cooler (blue-er) than the rest of it which is incredibly distracting.

Apparently the replacement group that sent it to me closes at 4pm (jesus I need to switch careers if they get off at 4pm), so I'm going to call em back tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement that doesn't suck.

:(

monitor swapping is such a hassle...thats one of my biggest fears

luckily for me...i only swapped monitors twice...third one is a charm

Anyone remove the plastic bezel on these?

If so is the vesa mount part of the plastic case or is it part of the internal metal frame?

Thanks.

Following up on this question. I have not seen an answer to this nor have I seen anyone that has done this on this particular model. Anyone know of any particulars about this. Trying to decide on the zr30w (bezel-less) vs 5x zr24w (bezel-less). Vega has done the former, and the results are outstanding. I currently have 3 of the zr24w monitors, so was hoping that someone more tech savy had already removed theirs to discuss any potention pitfalls, etc. However, I am thinking that both the 30 and 24 are similar, so if the 30 can be done no problem.

Following up on this question. I have not seen an answer to this nor have I seen anyone that has done this on this particular model. Anyone know of any particulars about this. Trying to decide on the zr30w (bezel-less) vs 5x zr24w (bezel-less). Vega has done the former, and the results are outstanding. I currently have 3 of the zr24w monitors, so was hoping that someone more tech savy had already removed theirs to discuss any potention pitfalls, etc. However, I am thinking that both the 30 and 24 are similar, so if the 30 can be done no problem.

I haven't removed the bezel on mine but I do have mine mounted to a desk mount arm. The VESA mount protrudes out from the back of the monitor's plastic outer shell, if that makes sense. Not having disassembled any monitor before let alone this one, I can't say if there's a "real" mount underneath all that external plastic that you can still use once you remove the outer casing, but thought I'd at least offer info on what I'm seeing in case it's of use to someone.

I bought this as a Christmas gift for a family member but now I'm wondering if I should return it and get another monitor.

The person I purchased it for isn't a hard time gamer but he does game a lot. He does go online to a forum quite a bit also. He's no pro on photoshop or any other graphic program.

I believe now he's using an older 19" monitor.

I wanted to get him the bigger monitor and saw the reviews for this monitor at Amazon and thought I was doing good by getting it for him and it would be a nice upgrade.

Do you think it's good enough for games and probably an upgrade from the 19" monitor and that he would be able to view movies ok or are movies not worth watching on this monitor.

I see where some of you mention the text isn't sharp and that worries me too. I wanted to get him something nice and of quality but now I'm wondering if this is a good choice for him.

I don't think he's as picky or studies up on monitors like most of you here but still I'd like for him to love it. Bad choice?

Also I see on some websites that there are 2 different models (example at newegg.com) of this HP ZR24W. One is about 100.00 more than the other. Is there a difference in one model than the other?

I also see this monitor described as having anywhere from 5ms to 7m depending on which website I'm reading. Which is correct?

Thanks.

it would be a nice upgrade...keep it and give it to your family!

its a great gaming monitor...i personally game on it and is beautiful

it would be a nice upgrade...keep it and give it to your family!

its a great gaming monitor...i personally game on it and is beautiful

Thanks for the reply dukenuke. Is movie watching on this monitor ok? I think he plays a game where he does a lot of shooting. Is that what FPS is? Should a game like that be ok on the monitor?

Thanks for the reply dukenuke. Is movie watching on this monitor ok? I think he plays a game where he does a lot of shooting. Is that what FPS is? Should a game like that be ok on the monitor?

It's a great monitor for all uses - watching movies, gaming, etc.

(and yes, FPS stands for 'first person shooter')

yup, you'll be fine...this monitor is pretty fast, even for FPS games

however the older IPS panels from like 2006 or 2007....some people report input lag...but this is a newer monitor with newer technology so you are just fine

Thanks so much for the replies. That's great.

I was getting a little worried after reading some of the reviews in this thread regarding lag, trails, shadows, etc and not a good monitor for gaming, especially FPS or movies. Sounds like he'll be excited with this then. :D

Nah, threads like this are usually full of very critical/anal enthusiasts... But this display is a pretty good value, as long as you didn't pay more than $350 then it's a very good buy in it's class, should be an awesome gift.

I just got this monitor, but the usb slots don't seem to work. Is this defective? Should I send this back?

I had this monitor for about 1 week around 1 month ago. The blacks were not real blacks,wich became a little distracting movies,the response time was fairly low i was playing fps games without any problem. Somehow i just didnt like it that much and i had it returned. Anything on white was hurting my eyes,and since i do a lot of reading on my monitor that was a bad thing. Only after i returned it i foud out it was because the AG coating.....basicaly if u use this monitor for gaming only than its ok. For reading it will kill your eyes,and in movies blacks are not that nice. I didnt had a colorimeter at that time to calibrate the colors maybe the black level would improve. I went for the only mate monitor out there without AG the ACD 30,and my eyes are thanking me for this.
Suits me right for trying to buy a cheap IPS monitor....they are cheap for one reason,most like anything else .

Sorry to bump, 1 question.

I'm on XP atm with 9600GT.....i calibrated and saved profile....I'll switch to WIN7 + GTX460 soon, need I to save my profile?

Sorry to bump, 1 question.

I'm on XP atm with 9600GT.....i calibrated and saved profile....I'll switch to WIN7 + GTX460 soon, need I to save my profile?

I would just recalibrate. No telling how differently the 9600GT renders color compared to the GTX460.

I had this monitor for about 1 week around 1 month ago. The blacks were not real blacks,wich became a little distracting movies,the response time was fairly low i was playing fps games without any problem. Somehow i just didnt like it that much and i had it returned. .

I had a ZR24w briefly too. Mine would not stay on for more than 3 minutes without shutting off. I then went with a Dell U2412M (LED backlit) and was able to compare the black levels side by side and the Dell was much better. I found the black levels on the ZR24w a dark gray, deep purple at best and was disappointed after comparing. I ended up with 2 U2412M's after returning 2 others for uniformity issues. Using a iDisplay1 Pro calibration tool, I found both Dell monitors at a little over 1050:1 static contrast ratio at brightness 120cd/m2. I did not have the colorimeter in time before I returned the HP.

I've been waiting to get the HP zr24w for a while now. I am about ready to order, but I see it has been as low as $250. Right now it is $350 at most places. I was considering calling an HP sales rep to see if I could get a better deal than $350 from them directly. Does anyone have buying advice?

I bought a zr24w from a [H]ard forum member. I am going to take advantage of the warranty to fix a few bright sub-pixels. However, I am wondering about a viewing angle test.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php#angleGrey

You aren't supposed to be able to see the word "lagom". It is barley discernible on my laptop panel (which is also IPS). But on my zr24w, it is very visible, red from top-to-bottom. I was wondering if other owners have better results, and if so, what I should tell HP about it.

I bought a zr24w from a [H]ard forum member. I am going to take advantage of the warranty to fix a few bright sub-pixels. However, I am wondering about a viewing angle test.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php#angleGrey

You aren't supposed to be able to see the word "lagom". It is barley discernible on my laptop panel (which is also IPS). But on my zr24w, it is very visible, red from top-to-bottom. I was wondering if other owners have better results, and if so, what I should tell HP about it.

I'm looking at it through a Dell U3011, which is IPS....I don't see the word lagom in any of the colors

I found a few stuck pixels, but I've been too busy to worry about it. I was just wondering what to expect from HP warranty support. It appears they allow 0 stuck pixels. But do they normally come to you to repair on-site (as they did many times for my laptop), pick it up and return it, or just mail you a box?

I found a few stuck pixels, but I've been too busy to worry about it. I was just wondering what to expect from HP warranty support. It appears they allow 0 stuck pixels. But do they normally come to you to repair on-site (as they did many times for my laptop), pick it up and return it, or just mail you a box?

This is a business line product and not consumer it has on site support.

I had an issue with the first screen i picked up and they brought a second screen to my house.

This is one of the reasons I picked up this monitor other than it being IPS.

Last edited:

I ordered a refurb ZR24W from HP after getting the first one new. The refurb arrived damaged in shipping. Called HP, they sent a tech to my workplace with the new monitor and he made sure everything was up and running--even took the packaging away. Wasn't more than three days and would have been sooner except they had to order in the monitor and it all fell across a weekend--and this for even a refurb unit. No complaints about HP warranty on this monitor. As the other poster mentioned, this is an enterprise model so has great warranty support. Another reason I too went with this monitor. Still working great.

How is the ZR24w treating you all this time?

Mine has been great....although I did have an issue with the CCFL going bad....one side of the screen was noticeably dimmer than the other....called HP support and got a replacement from on site service....too bad the replacement one sucks as well....so many dead pixels! I e-mailed them back explaining the situation....and they will order another one for me....hopefully this next one is good to go....man I love the ZR24w....colors are so sharp and accurate, its crazy! Too bad it isn't 120hz

^ Sorry to put a damper, but the odds of getting a good ZR24W since they are all refurb now is very very slim, I went through 4 of them last year before I got a reasonable one. I recently got the ZR2440W and compared them side by side on this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713269

However, further testing revealed that my ZR24W always had a red tint at the bottom I was oblivious to assuming it was viewing angle related. Ended up selling the ZR24 for $240 (don't think i could have done better there) and just keeping the ZR2440W. I tried getting a refurb ZR24W from hp outlet store too but that had a really bright green pixel on the top left.

Not to mention my first ZR2440W had serious uniformity issues so got that changed for a new one which is much better but has worse right lower corner IPS glow, now waiting on my third zr2440w....

Only saving grace is I paid almost nothing for the zr2440w after selling my older samsung monitor/hdtv and getting a good deal on it after PM and a coupon.

Bottom line: I do not think there any good sub-$1000 monitors out there and everything is a lottery. Best of luck to you, me and every enthusiast trying to score a half decent panel.

Thanks for the reply undertaker! Honestly I hope I can get a decent refurb the next time around. If I find a dead pixel on the corner, I'll be fine with it....I know swapping monitors can be painful

lol, so after getting a couple of refurb replacements....I finally got one that seems to be a go!

Its a Feb 2012 build, so its definitely a newer stock....It's probably one of the last ones built before being discontinued. Perfect backlighting, and no bad pixels. The ONLY issue that is apparent, it sounds like a marble is stuck inside the monitor. The tech and I noticed the noise when swapping panels....but hey I'm not complaining cuz the display looks great!

Glad you got one you like, I decided to just sell mine off and stick with a single ZR2440W as a standby for now.

Waiting for something better to come along.

at 90% brightness...after like 3 hours of gaming...the top of your monitor doesn't get hot? very lucky if so.

I use mine to paint in photoshop and 3d model, my monitors are on for 12+ hour periods and I notice no more than a small amount of heat on the top of the case. I have two and dont get any kind of noticable heat from either.

i switched from xp to win7 and all is weird, especially fonts....before i had 9600gt, now gtx 460...

any suggestions?

Back