Because OLED. Main issues with 2017 OLEDs are price and size.

Already have an OLED tv. Its honestly not a substitute for one of these ultra wides. It offers a completely different gaming experience. My two displays right now are the Dell S2417DG and LG 65B6P. I'm looking at these ultrawide 34x14 100hz gsync to somewhat bridge the gap between those 2. Its not as fast and smooth as the Dell and doesnt offer image quality as good as the LG, but I consider it a solid middle ground.

Why not both? UPS was kind to me this week.

asxw4wi.jpg

Blusbusters said that gsync actually adds 2-3ms of lag, but is more than compensated by better image flow. One can not assume gsync will have more or less lag than Freesync or nosync beforehand:

2-3ms of lag is for all intent and purposes not really even a talking point.

Already have an OLED tv. Its honestly not a substitute for one of these ultra wides. It offers a completely different gaming experience. My two displays right now are the Dell S2417DG and LG 65B6P. I'm looking at these ultrawide 34x14 100hz gsync to somewhat bridge the gap between those 2. Its not as fast and smooth as the Dell and doesnt offer image quality as good as the LG, but I consider it a solid middle ground.

I agree Sparkul. I've done the gamut up and down and so far the Omen ticks the most middle ground. IMO it is the best gaming display overall on the market right now. I don't think much will change until the 4K 144 Hz FALD displays destroy all other gaming displays.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Over the last few years:

HP Omen 35, LG OLED55C6P, LG 55EG9600 OLED, Acer XB270HU, Acer Predator XB271HU, Acer Predator X34, Acer Z35, ASUS VG248QE, ASUS PG279Q, Asus PG348Q, BenQ XL2720G, Dell S2716DG, ACER XB321HK, Dell UP2715K 5K, BenQ (XL2730), BenQ (XL2735), EIZO FORIS FS2735, ASUS PQ321Q, Dell S2417DG. I think that is most.

That's a pretty strong testimony if the Omen 35x is your new fav. Similarly, I quite like my Omen 32 and so will keep an eye out for pricing on the larger ones.

he forgot to mention triple FW900s and triple Catleaps- the last one remarkable as one of the few times where Vega gave up on a display setup because there was not enough graphics power in the word to drive it. :LOL:

he forgot to mention triple FW900s and triple Catleaps- the last one remarkable as one of the few times where Vega gave up on a display setup because there was not enough graphics power in the word to drive it. :LOL:

Ya those setups were fun projects. I think the de-cased triple FW900 setup with lenses took over 100 hours just to get right lol.

I've been playing a few games today, no longer sure I'm going to keep the Omen.. or at least this sample. I'm getting flickering at loading screens w/ gsync enabled (and any other fullscreen situation when frame rates drop off). Made a short video.

EDIT: Have done some more reading on this. Probably more on the nvidia end of the spectrum with the fancy gsync algorithms, all gsync panels do this to some extent during stalls apparently.

Still, it's pretty noticeable. I wonder if it's anything that will be improved in a future driver release?

Last edited:
Also posted this on OC.net:

All G-Sync displays will flicker in some loading/menu screens that drop to low FPS (by design). This is a side affect of the G-Sync chip and transitioning in and out of G-Sync mode at low FPS.

There should be no flicker in normal gaming above 30 FPS or on the desktop.

All G-Sync displays will flicker in some loading/menu screens that drop to low FPS (by design). This is a side affect of the G-Sync chip and transitioning in and out of G-Sync mode at low FPS.

Yep, I was just updating my post after reading a bit. The last gsync display I used wasn't this bad though.

I just grabbed the Predator X34...noticed the Omen 35. Any thoughts between the two? Currently have the Sasmsung CF971 which I enjoyed however wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the Predator X34

I just grabbed the Predator X34...noticed the Omen 35. Any thoughts between the two?

Omen 35- overpriced PoS- same specs of Agon 35 and no reason to cost $400 more.

The Predator is a bit smaller, suffers from backlight bleed and has less contrast.
The Agon 35/ Omen 35 suffers from VA horizontal gamma shift that reduces viewing angles and has some slower pixel transitions.

overall, they both are equal at gaming, the 35s is better at watching movies and the X34 is better at professional color work.

Seems a good price relative to other ultrawides with gsync --- but ultrawide in general still seems way overpriced compared to other LCDs form factors.

Seems a good price relative to other ultrawides with gsync --- but ultrawide in general still seems way overpriced compared to other LCDs form factors.

Still a good $80 above the competing Agon 35
with exactly the same specs. And i believe the Agon stand has better looks and functionality

Still a good $80 above the competing Agon 35
with exactly the same specs. And i believe the Agon stand has better looks and functionality
Wouldn't surprise me if Agon got the panels that HP refused for their Omen 35. HP's a big player. Agon, in comparison, is relatively no name.

Wouldn't surprise me if Agon got the panels that HP refused for their Omen 35. HP's a big player. Agon, in comparison, is relatively no name.

if by agon you meant AOC, i would be surprised if HP ever sold more gaming monitors than AOC. if any of those can be called a small player in the gaming display market, it would be HP.

in my book, small players are koreans sub brands.
Acer is ( or rather was until this agon come out) at the top, with Asus and AOC close behind.

if by agon you meant AOC, i would be surprised if HP ever sold more gaming monitors than AOC. if anyone can called a small player in the gaming dispakly market, it would be HP.
No way

Corporate buys the hell out of HP and Dell branded monitors.

AOC is pint sized potatoes -

"Gaming branded" monitors is immaterial. Volume of panel purchased is what secured you the ability to request only the best panels. Read up on how apple panels are only top tier and the rest go to secondary vendors.

Oh lord the Omen is an incredibly well designed and stylish monitor. One of the best I've seen. The AOC looks like a Chinese grey market item compared.

Wish I had seen the sale on the Omen, or... maybe I don't. I would have ordered one in a heartbeat.

So is it true there's a recall on these? Apparently, Amazon might be doing refunds, as the flicker issue can't actually be fixed in software.

I've been in touch w/ HP about a replacement without flickering problems (mine really is quite bad). They've told me they have no units available to send, so the recall must be real.

Offered me a refund instead, I'll probably take it.

I've been in touch w/ HP about a replacement without flickering problems (mine really is quite bad). They've told me they have no units available to send, so the recall must be real.

Offered me a refund instead, I'll probably take it.

Well shit. Just found a place selling them for $1099 and was going to pick one up.

Back