HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

Discussion in 'Displays' started by LTZ, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Haven't tested it for frame skipping yet, ran Resident Evil 2 for about 15min, didn't notice any skipping. Needs further testing. Will post results if I find any. Need to try a fast shooter to see, sadly Im at work right now :(

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  2. Krenum

Aright, just did the test. No frame skipping. All solid blocks across rows, no skipped blocks on my HP Omen 32 inch 75hz

3. Krenum

Having a new issue now with the HP Omen 32. I have a RTX 2070 installed & Working with Freesync. My problem is whenever I turn on my computer for some reason it doesn't save my "Freesync" Preset and I can see noticeable mouse cursor / frame judder. Whenever I go into the control panel on the monitor and switch it to Freesync+ the problem goes away and everything is returned to buttery smooth.

Its kind of annoying to have to do this every time I boot up my computer. Im not sure if its an incompatibility issue or that the monitor is not saving my profile to its memory.

4. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Download the HP Omen drivers/software and try making the change through the app? Maybe it’ll stick that way?

5. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

My monitor keeps going between frame-skipping and no frame-skipping. When it's frame-skipping in a game like Deus Ex MD, I can get it to stop frame-skipping by going to the options menu, setting the display to 60 hz, applying, then setting it back to 75 hz and applying, and then it typically stops.

I still don't know what causes the frame-skipping.

I'm thinking of selling the HP Omen 32 and getting a Monoprice 32" 1440p 144 hz monitor. After playing with 75 hz with adaptive-sync, playing with frame-skipping or at 60 hz is too crappy to bear. And I hate having to fiddle with the settings when it isn't working without frame-skipping, or just not playing a game because it's frame-skipping.

That sounds similar to my issue.

That's how frame-skipping looks, and is what I see on my monitor when it's frame-skipping.

Then it's probably not frame-skipping while you're playing.

6. Krenum

I think were having the same issue.

I may have found a solution / workaroud. I put mine in 10 bit color depth on the desktop. 60hz (using DP), freesync is on. No frame skipping or jutter. Vsync is ON in global settings.

When I go into my games, it shows 75hz / fps, No Jutter or tearing, very smooth.

For whatever reason, the Gsync compatibility seems to be having an issue using 75hz on the desktop, but not in games.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. Krenum

*Update

So after messing around with it for hours I have narrowed it down to the Refresh rate not sticking in the settings. After I turned on the computer or after the monitor goes to sleep, I have to manually tell the monitor to use the 75hz refresh rate in the display options. After that the Monitor works with my RTX 2070 in "AMD Freesync On" flawlessly. No jutter or skipped frames while using the pendulum demo or frameskipp website found on blurbusters.

Kind of annoying to have to manually tell the monitor to use 75hz but I guess I'll have to deal with it. Seeing how their are no affordable options for me for a new 32 inch monitor at this point.

8. Archaea

Did you try the official HP Omen driver aplication yet?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-32-inch-displays/11528087

9. Krenum

10. Archaea

Krenum likes this.
  11. Krenum

12. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

Frame-skipping increases as the FPS goes over whatever normal clock the monitor can handle. So, if the monitor was switching from 75hz to 60hz, it should have less frame-skipping than exists at 75 hz. However, resetting the monitor at 75 hz might do something to stop frame-skipping, for all I know, but the hz being at 60 instead of 75 shouldn't be causing frame-skipping.

Did those drivers help anything?

13. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

I think I've found a way to get the monitor to stop frame-skipping when it starts doing it again.

Using the 3 back settings buttons on the monitor, press any of them to bring up the settings panel. Then, press the 3rd one from the top to switch the monitor's input. The screen will go black. Then, wait and either manually toggle through all three until you're back at the main PC display setting, or if you have nothing else connected to the other inputs then I think you can just wait for the monitor to cycle through them all automatically as it doesn't find anything in the other inputs, and then it returns to the main PC input setting.

My monitor hadn't been frame-skipping for a long time before today, but it was frame-skipping again today. And doing this cycling through the input modes instantly made the monitor stop frame-skipping for me just now. The next time the monitor starts frame-skipping, I'll try this again.

14. xdevel2000

xdevel2000 n00b

Hello, I recently bought the HP Omen 32 of this thread, and I noticed that when play some games, especially 2D (but sometimes also in 3D), in the movement of the images I detect a change in brightness: it seems that some elements of the background become darker. Then when I stop the movement everything returns to normal. The same effect, however, I do not detect on two other monitors that I have: a HP 27o and a Benq GL2450.

I have a Radeon RX5770, the Omen 32 is a WVA+ panel type with FreeSync and 75 Hertz, while the other two monitors are simple 60 Hertz TN panel type.

P.S.
    I published a little video. You can see that when I move the main character the foreground goes darker and then when I stop it the foreground goes lighter.

I hope for some help thanks a lot.

15. Archaea

That’s a VA panel type artifact and is normal and expected on black to white or white to black transitions.

As you may have read each panel type has a pretty clear weakness relative to the other panel types.
    Pick your poison...

Weaknesses
    TN - poor viewing angles and poor color gradients/color accuracy
    VA - poor black to white transitions
    IPS - IPS backlight glow

Strengths
    TN - fast refresh and pixel transition, inexpensive
    VA - good middle ground of strengths between TN and IPS
    IPS - best color accuracy

Timestamp 16:45 discussing this with VA panel on Acer 35” gaming monitor and 33:05 for this Omen 32” VA panel demonstration.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  16. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

OLED: lack of full brightness, burn in...

17. xdevel2000

xdevel2000 n00b

Unfortunately I had not read about this limitation of the VA panels.
    At this point I don't know if I will keep the monitor or sell it! What advice can you give me?
    Do you think it is a negligible defect compared to the other qualities that this monitor has anyway?
    In case you know how to recommend a good quality 32" IPS monitor?
    Thank you for your support.

18. Bankie

Bankie [H]ard|Gawd

Monitors are almost entirely subjective so keeping it or returning it is up to you. But if the black-white transitions bother you that badly I say return/sell it and start looking at decent TN or IPS monitors. Some people are just more sensitive to the weaknesses of each panel type than to others; you have to figure out which one works best for your eyes.

IdiotInCharge and Archaea like this.
  19. Archaea

I can’t advise you on that. You’d just have to sit in front of the technology and see what you like. You said you had TN panels and were happy with them. That’s my least favorite of the three technologies. Colors are the least appealing on TN (hard to see a difference between some shades of yellow, gray, and white, and off angle viewing is the worst. (Turns blueish/purplish if not directly in front of the monitor). But that’s my preference and eyesight.

My favorite is IPS, because I favor the best, most accurate colors, but IPS backlight glow is a real detriment in dark/night games for some. I have no big problem with VA panels. Don’t make a hasty decision on the Omen, use it for a while, try different games. Most games won’t highlight that particular fault like that game does. I had three Omens at one point and liked them quite a bit.

If you are still in your return period this LG is likely a better monitor than the Omen (though I haven’t seen the LG in person) — on sale for $300

https://www.costco.com/LG-32GK850F-B-32"-Class-QHD-HDR-FreeSync-Monitor.product.100454130.html

This newer LG model is IPS, 144hz, HDR, has LFC all the way down to 1hz, and works with Freesync 2 and Gsync.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1810-lg-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  20. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Limp Gawd

Is this monitor still any good at the $300 price point? Looking for something I can use for writing software primarily with maybe an evening or two of overwatch a month.

21. LiquidX

LiquidX 2[H]4U

You can probably do way better these days. Are you looking for the same size or you can do with a 27 inch?

22. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

For $300 I think it's definitely worth it. I bought the 32Q for $300 around 6 months ago and love it. As far as I can tell they're the same panel just the Omen runs at 75Hz compared to the 60 of the 32Q (but it has the option to run at 70 Hz in nividia control panel and runs fine).

The image quality is very good, contrast and black levels are excellent and FreeSync makes games look really smooth. For $300, the Omen would be a whole lot of monitor for a very good price. $400 and up is about the point you'd be finding better 32" options. If you are a hard-core gamer and need the fastest response times possible then look elsewhere but for casual gaming or slower paced games, the Omen is a great choice at 3 bills.

23. Face2Face

Face2Face Limp Gawd

If you have sensitive eyes, then I would say no way. It’s not flicker free and hurt my eyes quite a bit.

24. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

Get the LG-GK650F which goes on sale all the time at Microcenter around for $300. Works great and you get 144hz that will work with Gsync as well.

Krenum likes this.
  25. Krenum

I upgraded to this exact monitor from the HP Omen, its awesome. And can confirm it to work with Gsync under compatibility mode.

26. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Limp Gawd

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I would say my eyes are a little sensitive which is part of why I am wanting to upgrade from a 7(?) year old AOC 22" LCD.

It looks like that LG monitor is on sale for $299.99 at MC right now so I'll go check it out in person and see what I think :)

Face2Face, DooLocsta and Krenum like this.
  27. Decko87

Decko87 [H]ard|Gawd

Has anyone using the LG-GK650F noticed any worse image quality? The reviews I watched on it claims it covers 94% SRGB, the omen cover 100 percent. Also the contrast ratio of the omen is actually a bit higher than the LG. I wouldn't mind having 144hz, but I also watch a lot of TV and movies on monitor, and I'd rather not sell my omen for worse image quality and faster response times.

28. Krenum

I haven't, I watch plenty of things on mine. For a VA panel it has pretty good blacks once you get it adjusted. I can tell you that I don't get the banding on the LG that I got with the Omen.

29. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

The tested, real world contrast ratio of the LG is between 2700-2900:1 which is among the best available. And in reviews it hits 100% SRGB coverage.

I can't find any reviews of the Omen that test its SRGB and contrast ratios but if be surprised if they're actually 3000:1 and 100%. The manufacturer claims usually fall short of what they do real world. The LG's real world, tested performance nearly matches the Omen's advertised/marketing numbers so it's a safe bet it would likely beat the Omen in testing.

Add to that 144 Hz and an almost undoubtedly faster panel and I'd say the LG is a no brainer for the same or similar money. And I'm a pretty big fan of the Omen and actually own its little brother.

30. Decko87

Decko87 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the heads up, if I can sell the omen at a reasonable price I may make the switch. Wouldn't mind having the extra frames get displayed. I'm about to pick up a Ryzen 1600 and an Asus strix 370 for 110 bucks at microcenter. So I'm doing some upgrading on the cheap. Might nab a 5700 aftermarket at some point.

31. Fritzz

Fritzz Gawd

FWIW - You can get the LG-32GK650F on Microcenter's web store for the same $299. You just have to pay shipping. Realistically that's appears to be a pretty damn good deal. I have the LG 32GK850G, which is the gsync model and I really like it. I had the Omen for a bit, but the frame skipping on NVIDIA cards wasn't something I could get past. Not sure how the LG-32GK650F works with gsync, it's not on their list of compatible displays, but if it works well enough I could have got 2 for the price I paid for the 850G.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    DooLocsta likes this.
  32. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

*850G but the 650F and 850F now work great with nVidia cards.

33. Fritzz

Fritzz Gawd

Yeah my bad, I have the 850G. From what I am seeing there is no such thing as an 850F. Only the 850G and the 650F.

I amended my post.

34. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850F-B-gaming-monitor

Freesync 2 and a wider color gamut. I am assuming that is the difference between this and the 650.