HP EX470 MediaSmart Server - $299.99

Man I bit so hard on this. I couldn't persuade myself to buy it at retail, but at this price shipped from a big store such as OfficeMax. Why not!? :D Thanks for posting this man, but I must say my CC hates you. Oh well, I zero them out monthly so who cares. BTW, total came to $323 after taxes for me from AL. I just moved my storage to 1 1.5TB drive with my 2 existing 500's and a 750 as backup. Was looking for a good place to put them and this will be excellent. Haven't bought any toys in a while anyway :D

Dam it. I just finish setting up a WHS over the weekend and then this goes on sale. WOW Great price.

To everyone who purchases this box (I'm sure that will be a lot of you), make sure you upgrade the ram to 2gb. It is a cheap and easy upgrade that dramatically speeds up the system.

I bought an EX470 on eBay using the 25% off deal a few months ago and even after cash back it was still $140 more than this price.

If anyone has any doubts, this is a great system and at this price pretty much blows everything else out of the water.

With hard drives being so cheap now... I'd recommend sticking a 1.5tb drive in here and adding more as you need. Better than buying 3x1.5tb now and seeing them drop in price even more than they already have.

I couldn't even get that far. I get this: "In order to checkout, please view your shopping cart to remove items that cannot be ordered."

Sick deal. Holy cow, so tempting. I would buy one of these if I didn't have an Antec 300 case I've been itching to use as a home media server.

I couldn't even get that far. I get this: "In order to checkout, please view your shopping cart to remove items that cannot be ordered."

Make sure you type "1" in quantity. It was empty when the page loaded up for me.

Some people said that it was somewhat regional. Some people were seeing OOS and others aren't. Worked fine for me in AL.

Considering WHS itself runs at $99.99 (down from $149.99 to boot), $200 for a server box is amazing. 4 hdd slots is great too.

I typed in a different zip code and it let me go through the checkout...everything was fine up until I got to the page where you review your order before submitting it, it said quantity 0 again and that my total was $0. I guess I'll head by a local store instead.

Just thought I'd add that I <3 my WHS
Had to custom build it though so it could run FAH during downtime :)

Not familiar with servers so why is this a good deal? Isn't semprons crappy processors? What does it have that is worth $300? And what is it really worth?

WTF? Max on one system is 1.5TBx4 =6TB unless you have 2 of them.

Yeah what they said. I've got 4 1TB drives internal and 4 in an external eSATA multiplier. It was all had for CHEAP and I'm really impressed with the hardware and WHS software.

Not familiar with servers so why is this a good deal? Isn't semprons crappy processors? What does it have that is worth $300? And what is it really worth?
it has a $100 OS
a $50 hard drive
Plus CPU, custom motherboard, RAM, and obviously chassis

It's really well desgned to be small, quiet, and expandable
Sempron's are OK, especially in a home server capacity where raw CPU power isn't needed

What it's "really worth" will vary from person to person.

If you want the ability to backup your systems, store your files in a central place, and allow remote access to your home systems through the internet, this little guy is for you

thats a great deal.... i just built mine for more than that..... i love the SFF of the HP server

mine is in a Antec P190 mini case.... thats a killer price!

Damn WHS dosent support 64bit clients :/ i almost bit. BTW if anybody has a broken one of those i would buy it just for a chasis. Also anybody has some screenies as to what it looks like inside?

I just checked for the hell of it and it didn't work for my one address. Tried the other, about 100 miles away but still in Jersey, and it worked fine. Go figure.

Either way, seems like a good deal. If I had the spare coin I'd probably bite.

This to me is a very good deal. If OM were to offer the $30 off coupon again it would be smoking to me. Even at $299 this is a very, very good price.

Considering WHS itself runs at $99.99 (down from $149.99 to boot), $200 for a server box is amazing. 4 hdd slots is great too.

Windows Vista basic runs $90 as well.. not really sure why it's such a great deal either..

you can get a Windows Vista basic emachine system for around that much, and it usually includes a monitor, more ram, accessories, a dvd burner, etc.

For $200 I'm pretty sure you could easily build a comparable system. The sempron 3400+ (1.8ghz) is $20 on newegg - you could add in a cheap psu, motherboard, and more ram for a $100 or so total. Then you have $50 for a hard drive and $50 for a case.. not too unreasonable.

That's not a $50 case however. Try finding something with 4 hot swap bays for that price.

Back