HP EX470 MediaSmart Server - $299.99

LMAO, I noticed that too.

At any rate mine is to be here Tuesday. We'll see how it goes!

What all can we do with WHS? Can you manage and push out AV and such?

In short, it's a server 2003 based operating system with data replication, drive pooling, and automated backup of clients. I'm sure I'm missing a few features, but those are the ones that matter to me. :)

Devildoc: thanks for the links, that's exactly what I was looking for. Should be a nice compact file serving setup (at least compared to my coolermaster stacker monster)

In short, it's a server 2003 based operating system with data replication, drive pooling, and automated backup of clients. I'm sure I'm missing a few features, but those are the ones that matter to me. :)

Devildoc: thanks for the links, that's exactly what I was looking for. Should be a nice compact file serving setup (at least compared to my coolermaster stacker monster)

Dude, YVW. The pics of the setup over @ Home Server Hacks helped seal this deal for me.

I did this deal so I can get my 1TB array out of my CM Stacker. I will keep my main PC in there for the time being, but I'd like to downsize. It's not just a case, it's a piece of furniture.

Luckily my main pc is housed in an antec 180, which is nice, quiet, and reasonably sized :)

Geeze. Actually got it today.
Easy as heck to setup, that's for sure. Just need to find some time to figure out how it all works and such... Most I did was configure some options and then the backups.

Can I hook my 360 into this and use it as a MCE?

no need to do this, whs has builtin media sharing so you 360 or ps3 can see the media files. there are addons that will allow you to add or remove folders from the sharing (mediaconnect)

I finished a setup in my place where i turned the boot disk into a pxe boot and use wds to push not only fresh images, but also to restore my pc's if a HD dies. If anyone is interested i can explain the setup

Not needed, turn on media sharing and the xbox will autodetect the WHS box and you will be able to browse any designated media shares. There is one minor glitch in this. For some reason WHS will not enumerate .mp4 files even though the xbox supports them, you have to rename them to .avi for the xbox to see them.

OK, got mine yesterday, installed 2 gigs o mem and 2 tb of HDDs. This thing is just plain sexy. Once I figure out how to make it support download resumes over the web and better activity tracking, I'll be set.

OK, got mine yesterday, installed 2 gigs o mem and 2 tb of HDDs. This thing is just plain sexy. Once I figure out how to make it support download resumes over the web and better activity tracking, I'll be set.

Please share your discoveries of activity tracking if you dont mind.:D

no need to do this, whs has builtin media sharing so you 360 or ps3 can see the media files. there are addons that will allow you to add or remove folders from the sharing (mediaconnect)

I finished a setup in my place where i turned the boot disk into a pxe boot and use wds to push not only fresh images, but also to restore my pc's if a HD dies. If anyone is interested i can explain the setup
Do you have an easy guide to the pxe boot setup?

Anyone looking into saving on the power bill, and don't need it on 24*7, should take a look at the free add-on Lights out. You can set the server to power on and hibernate different on different dates and times, or install a client that will turn on the server only when a client is active.

Anyone looking into saving on the power bill, and don't need it on 24*7, should take a look at the free add-on Lights out. You can set the server to power on and hibernate different on different dates and times, or install a client that will turn on the server only when a client is active.

Where is their plugin site?

Ubuntu 64 bit server addition with your choice of Gnome or KDE. It does all WHS can do and much, much more. Plus the ex3 file system is self optimizing. Windows doesn't do that, the last I checked.

Automatic backups with Linux are very simple and can be done with one line and one command.

And don't confuse 'foolproof' with 'designed for novices'. Give linux a try sometime. You may be surprised.
I use Linux at work, and it's hard to use. The idea of someone who is not an experienced Linux user using Linux for this is ridiculous.

Linux is light years ahead of where it was 5 years ago, but virtually everything in Linux is still too hard.

So I've got mine and am trying to set it up with 4 1.5TB Seagates. I'm a little concerned that I should be upgrading the firmware on these puppies, but I guess I need to do that BEFORE I stick them in? Getting really lousy transfer rates as well, not sure where I am going wrong.

Got mine yesterday, upgraded it to 2gb ram, installed WSUS and random assortment of misc drives totaling 2.5-ish TB. I must say, after boot up the little server sure is nice and quiet!

Can I flash them with an eSata enclosure or do I need to crack open one of my cases?

Great deal for those that got in.

I ordered 2 at this price before it even hit any of the deal sites. Unfortunately, my orders somehow got bumped after everyone new about it. Thus, my orders were cancelled..

Back