How old were you on your first build?

I'll be 19 when I finally assemble my first build, which is listed in my sig, this Christmas... :p

24, I suppose, back in '99...

That rig still powers most of my network. k6 will not die.....

I had to do something, I was spending too much time playing Tribes over at my friend's apartment.... Heh, thats the only reason I even got into PC's. My aging mac was too long in the tooth to run anything decent.

Oh great, this is really going to date me.
15 years old, Sinclair ZX81 1982.
The next computer I built was a screaming 386 16Mhz in 1992.

15-16. I think it's much easier now to build a PC than it was back in the mid-90's, though. Everything is all color coded and PC building is more mainstream. In those days, you really had to know what you were doing or, in my case, do some dangerous guess work. You had all the different memory types and you had to know what type your motherboard needed. It was even harder before that.

I was 50 years old ... but then I never even touched a computer until I was 46. :rolleyes:

A late bloomer, eh? :D

Bullitt said:

I had to do something, I was spending too much time playing Tribes over at my friend's apartment.... Heh, thats the only reason I even got into PC's. My aging mac was too long in the tooth to run anything decent.

Tribes FTW~!

I went to UVA6 and won the CTF Tourney :p

Sorry for the off topic post

I was 5 for my first build ever, and that was over 15 years ago. By 7 I had my own pc all to myself.

LordVampyre said:
Lets see was 1986... so I was 34 or there about... man that seem soooo long ago
Glad to see another late bloomer. I was 37 in 95" and, that was my first build. I remeber it had 64K of memory and, a whopping 1.5gig HD. :p Ah those were the days.

At 14 built my own first rig by myself.... a whopping 486 at the time from some second hand components. :cool:

11 or 12, i've been messing with computers a long time (my best friend's dad was/is a network system adminstrator, so we always had lots of hardware goodies). I most recently discarded my old biege case to the closet from my first build (which ive been upgrading for years), i think i was 14 when i built that, but like i said ive been messing with computer hardware for a few years even before that, just didn't have a computer my parents would let me fiddle with until 14.

No help from anyone. Read a "walkthrough" online, but it was very crappy now that I look back to it. Built a pretty good system, even though I didn't know I was supposed to use thermal grease :eek: lol I am very lucky it didn't die. I thought the white stuff that came with the HSF was for attaching a thermal probe to the CPU :p Luckily the motherboard supported thermal protection.

wow...I guess im old school...

my first build was a 386sx 40 sometime back in the late 80s that I put together from some spare parts.

Although I guess technically the first time I "did anything" inside a computer I had was adding 384k of memory to my Tandy1000sx sometime in 86 or 87.

13yrs in 2001. Self-taught too. Not even any local techy friends or relatives. It sucked learning all about hardware that I could in about 3 months. I'll always remember the harsh responses in IRC when I asked if a HS/F was necessary... :D

8man2k said:
wow...I guess im old school...

my first build was a 386sx 40 sometime back in the late 80s that I put together from some spare parts.

Although I guess technically the first time I "did anything" inside a computer I had was adding 384k of memory to my Tandy1000sx sometime in 86 or 87.

you mean Tandy 1000SUX. :) I had an 1000sx too.. bout as bad as the RL. heh

Yes now but man were those dual 5.25 floppy drives cool....I still remember the sound of their boot-up sequence :p

I was 14, or maybe 13. I got a summer job working for a white box PC/repair company. With my summer earnings I put together a pretty slick PC.

486DX-33
8 MB RAM
120 Meg Hard Drive
16-bit ISA video card
Floppy drive

Within a year I upgraded to a 170 Meg hard drive
Added a 16-bit sound blaster card
Added a 2x CD-ROM drive

Those were the days!

taught myself at 11 :) right now im 17.

6 years pro
biggrin.gif

I had no idea there were so many kids browsing the [H]. I shouldn't really be surprised since I was too when I was that age. :D I built mine when I was 12 or 13 I think. Would've been earlier but my bro. thought it was best he didn't let his kid brother build one. I showed him! :p

My first build was way back in highschool, when I was about 15-16. I dont remember what processor I had in the machine or motherboard, but I know 3D cards were not on the market yet. I remember playing Mechwarrior 2 as the first game after the build. I think 3D cards came along a year or two later and the first one I bought was a Canopus Pure 3D card.

Maybe 22-23 somewhere in there. I built a P4 2.53Ghz on an Abit IT7-Max2 v.2 board. It's still rocking in my uncle's computer.

lets see..... i think my first build (with my dads help) was at age..... 13 i think and my first true build (the one in my SIG) was at age 15 FYI, im 16 now :)

My 1st build was this Feb. when i was 15. 1st build and all by myself. before that, i didnt even touch a single part in my PC.

Been tinkering since I was nine or so. I think my first full build was when I was 12 or 13. 18 now.

I was 17 with little knowledge. I had my 16 year old buddy help me out. I hvae learned so much since then and hopefully will be able to do my own solo build here in a year or so.

Damn, first build....hard to say....maybe 12? 13 years messing with computers, it all just blends together into one big ball of ESD damaged parts. :)

Back