How old were you on your first build?

My first and OEM computer I had for a couple of years while it got small upgrades/mods from time to time until I rebuilt it when I was 18. Then I built a whole new computer this year when I'm 20.

Got my first computer when I was about 13 (now 21) which was a Micron P100 MHz. Right after setting it up I upgraded the RAM from 16MB to 32MB :eek: . After that was a Voodoo PCI graphics card... so hight end i know :p This was really where my love/addiction for comptuers started to grow.

After that I got a new Dell XPS PIII500 MHz when I was 15 and did some various upgrades to it such as adding a new hard drive, video card.

Wasn't until I was 17 that I did a whole PC build from scratch. This was done withought any help other from guides I had read on the internet. Finished the build and installed XP in an afternoon.

Since then I have put together and rebuilt so many I've lost count.

I didn't build an entire pc at once until I was like 21 or so, but had installed/upgraded pretty much everything by 19 or so, never had money to build one as a kid but my parents bought a new machine every few years. I wasn't interested in hardware until college anyway.

Back in 1996 when I was 16. Built a nice little Pentium 166 machine I still have today, though upgraded numerous times.

I built my first when I was about 13, I'm 22 now.

Intel Celeron 433@590
Soyo 6BA+IV
192mb ram
10gb Maxtor hdd
Viper V770Ultra (TNT2 Ultra)

I paid $220 for that video card, and its still in use ;) That was the first and only time I bought a top of the line video card.

To be honest, I still was using some of the ram and motherboard from that system till about a year ago, until I pretty much maxed out the 440BX technology...

Intel Celeron 1300@1600 (modded slotket)
Soyo 6BA+IV
1gb PC133
40gb & 60gb hdd's, ATA100.
Geforce FX5600Ultra

My first ground up build was at about 14 or 15 with an Abit NF7 and an AXP 2500+

8 years old. My mom showed me how to build up an 80286. I remember asking for a math co-processor for Christmas when I was 9...

I was 14 when i built mine... it was 4 years ago... ish
Athlon 2200+
256 Ram
9800 pro
80 gig hd

or something

hmm... 3rd grade, i got *my* first computer (ibm ps/2 286 box, killed it the first day :p - but it was free) so that's what... 9? sounds right.

first one i went and bought stuff for... haven't yet. always a gradual process... replace this, upgrade that... i think i've been morphing the same system into its current form for 4 years or so.

19 that was only because I got money from graduting high school. That computer lasted me a good 4 years before I upgraded. Now bits and pieces of it are in my brother computer.

First System was an IBM PS/1, ('89 or '90, cant remember) had a 386-SX 16mhz, 2mb of ram, 120mb Hard drive. I added Sony's First CD-Rom Drive, (external 1x with caddy)
and added an origional ISA Sound Blaster Pro. Had Thrustmaster's First Joystick too (After my CH Flightstick Broke)... Spent hours playing X-wing, Wing Command, Wolf3D, Duke Nukem, Lesuire Suite Larry.. The list goes on...

s_p_8954_1.jpg

Then Doom came out and I had to upgrade....

So My First full on Build was at Age 12, Home Brew 486 DX2-66, 8 Megs of Ram, 400mb Hard Drive, Cirrus IDE Controller, Cirrus Graphics Board (Vesa Local Bus).

13 IIRC. All I can remember was that it was a 75mhz DX2 with 8mb ram...

model30.jpg

This was my first computer. It ran Windows 3.11, DOS 6.22, Wolf3D ;)

386 16mhz
8mb ram
60mb hdd, Compressed to 120mb
9600 baud modem

I built my first when I was 16.

Duron 900
256mb ram (ram prices had spiked after an earthquake in asia)
radeon 64mb video card
various harddrives that I had laying around...

I thought it would last me to college,... haha riiiiight.
A couple years later I upgraded to an athlon xp 2500+ with 512 and a radeon 9600pro AIW...
Thought I could make it through college with that one,...

And now I sit here typing on my A64 3200+ with a gig of ram, over 500gb of HD space and a 6800GT... I should be set for a couple years at least.

The rig in my sig was the first that I built. It was the product of a year's worth of research and shopping. I was (and still am) 16 at the time.

My first computer I ever had was a Tandy1000... the first computer I ever built was when I was about 10 or 11. Had an Athlon 1ghz, it was pretty expensive at the time.

My first build was when I was 16 or 17. I've just been morphing my system part by part ever since. I think my next system will be a complete new one. Too much of what I'm using now is just too old. Besides, I'll probably just pass the rig in my sig down to my son. I think he'll like it.

Damn, back when I was 8 or something I helped if you call it that put togther a P2 system with my dad, damn thats a long time ago :p my personal system, a p3 slot 1 at age 10, all by my self with my dad watchiung to make sure I din't screw up damn that was fun, and ever since then I have built my own computer sitting on the powerhouse of my current PC :D

i have been around my computers since before i can remember. i built my first system about 2-3 years ago, when i was 13. 20 days and i will be 16. here is what i got then (which is almost what i have now):

P4c 2.4
TT spark 7
Abit Is7-e
geil 512 dual channel 2x256 gold dragon
Antec Lanboy (came with power supply)
radeon 7000

then i just got parts from around the house:
6gb wd HD
40gb wd HD
cd-reader
really old keyboard/mouse
and fans from old dells

now i have upgraded to what i have in the sig, plus better keyboard/mouse (both USB now :).) now i want to try to upgrade my cpu 939, and thus i basically have to buy a new computer :p

imagine said:
That was before most of the people in this thread were born.

I know I know.. Im a old fart.. but theyll have to take my mouse from my cold dead hand before Ill stop playing!

I was 8 :p (7 years ago...has it realy been that long :eek: )

Dad had bought all the parts for his new PC, and leaft them on the table. Lets just say he came back home from work to a fully built PC with Windows and all drivers installed :D

He wasnt exactly happy though, he wanted to build it! 'Doh!

cahl said:
I was 15, Pentium 100 <3

Same here. Pentium 100, Diamond 4MB VRAM Video Card, 4X CD-ROM, tape drive, 32 Megs of RAM, and sound blaster AWE32 ISA.

Heh, I think that system cost over $3,000 at that point in time too...

Erm...51.
In the ensuing 5 years I've built about 15 more.

Keeps me off the streets.

probably 12 or 13.. i watched my dad build a few and mess with some that we got for cheap at garage sales and such.. so we headed over to the computer swap meet and he got me a cyrix 233 and a motherboard.. maybe some memory.. like 16mb.. and then some old parts he had lying around.. i had a 70mb hard drive and an 80mb hard drive... 16 colors... the bus on my cyrix board fried somehow a few months later.. and it took the cpu with it.. so i wound up with a 200mmx intel and new board.. then got a 2.5gb hd for christmas which was huge to me..

Lessee 1986 when I put my first PC together on my own.

Made out of spare parts my Dad wasnt using at the time, based around a 8086

I used that system to play The Big Dark Cave and later early rogue :)

[edit] Actualy I have to edit and say 99% of the time I spent on that machine was playing Suspended: A Cyrogenic Nightmare by [edit] Infocom... took me forever to beat!

that would have made me 10yo at the time ( I Can't count the time I was verbaly instructed step by step at 6yr old :) )

Later my first live BBS system built in 1991 based on the popular 80486 and later that box/format being upgraded to a 80486-DX with ISA memory ram drive (whoo!) and V.32bis modem!

Mainly a file sharing system of PD programs and an occasional game of tradewars.

Been hooked ever since. :D

JCrow

Back