Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Load times did decrease and minimum FPS also increased once I went from 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 to 32GB 4000Mhz CL18. I always optimize my Windows by disabling all unnecessary background tasks, services, drivers, animation transitions, etc., but even for such optimized environments running 16GB is not optimal if you want to play demanding games without Windows touching your pagefile. With 16GB of RAM Red Dead Redemption 2 (maxed out) was causing Windows to use pagefile (verified via System Informer), but such wasn't the case with 32GB of RAM.

Main: 32GB (2x16GB)
Backup: 32GB (4x8GB)
Laptop: 32GB (4x8GB)
HTPC / VR: 32GB (2x16GB)
VM / Storage: 512GB (8x64GB)

My use case fits 32GB fairly easily, but launching more than one Adobe suite at a time and those Chrome tabs start adding up. I didn't really think I'd need more than 32GB, but the time may come a few years down the line where 64GB becomes the new 32GB. I think 16GB (2x 8GB) is already getting phased out for enthusiasts with the proliferation of DDR5.

32 ever since 2015 or so really want DDR5 stuck with DDR4 I would like to get the latest Asus Tuf I would only need a Motherboard purchase and Ram.

Main: 64GB (4x16GB)
Daughter's: 32GB (2x16GB)
Wife's: 64GB (4x16GB)
Server: 64GB (2x16GB)

Overkill on my rig I thought .. but Placebo effect or not, Hunt:Showdown does seem a smidge smoother. Daughter is into drawing with attached tablet and does a lot of gaming so a pretty good fit. Wife has 50 billion tabs open at any given time between Edge, Chrome and Brave browsers .. plus security camera program for our 8 static cameras and Bluestacks to view the android only app for our 9th moveable security camera.
ECC UDIMM's on server .. can never have too much RAM on your server. I run UniFi Controller and Plex in separate jails in TrueNAS Core ..plus some SMB shares for backup

My use case fits 32GB fairly easily, but launching more than one Adobe suite at a time and those Chrome tabs start adding up. I didn't really think I'd need more than 32GB, but the time may come a few years down the line where 64GB becomes the new 32GB. I think 16GB (2x 8GB) is already getting phased out for enthusiasts with the proliferation of DDR5.
One of the reasons I don't do DDR5 yet is that I won't start below 128 anymore. 64 was my last-gen starting point, and doing 128G on DDR5 is touchy as hell. My next generation of systems (probably built this fall) will be 128 or 256... And I'm hoping we have denser DDR5 modules by then. :(

Overkill on my rig I thought .. but Placebo effect or not, Hunt:Showdown does seem a smidge smoother. Daughter is into drawing with attached tablet and does a lot of gaming so a pretty good fit. Wife has 50 billion tabs open at any given time between Edge, Chrome and Brave browsers .. plus security camera program for our 8 static cameras and Bluestacks to view the android only app for our 9th moveable security camera.
ECC UDIMM's on server .. can never have too much RAM on your server. I run UniFi Controller and Plex in separate jails in TrueNAS Core ..plus some SMB shares for backup

You've got a small fortune tied up in ECC UDIMM's.

Does she actually have more tabs than me?
FireFox-7066-Tabs.jpg

I was wondering if I should go 64gb before the price of ddr4 goes up. Honestly I’m never really over 20gb in use.

I have
I was wondering if I should go 64gb before the price of ddr4 goes up. Honestly I’m never really over 20gb in use.
I went 64gb 6000 C32. If you want faster than that you almost need to go 32gb for 7000 and faster. I'm happy with my kit because it's 100% stable.

I initially got vetoed on purchasing Best Buy's $1,100 deal on an Asus laptop with a 5980HX because it did not have a built in web-cam and "only" had 16GB of Ram. Just because the senior partner was pegging ram well north of 80% from mismanaging her computer doesn't mean 16GB is insufficient for most people to use Firefox for basic web browsing, MS Office Word, and Acrobat Reader. How she manages to bloat reader to north of 4GB used with a handful of regular sized pdfs simultaneously open and Firefox to over 6GB through a mix of four or five windows and a mere dozen-ish tabs is beyond me.

Foxit viewer is one of my main pdf display programs.
Yeah, it's the software choices of the senior partner. :D If anything modern doesn't eat 4GB it needs an upgrade, lol.

And that's why I stay with older portable versions of stuff for as long as I can. Then I get to choose when I upgrade and it's also portable so if I want, I'll just use it on a newer/faster computer.

What I've lived through--640k is enough for DOS-->need 4MB for windows 3.1-->really need 8MB for win3.1-->need 16MB for win95-->win98se runs great on 64MB-->need 128MB for xp-->xp flies on 512MB-->4GB is the best for xp-->8GB is fine for win7-->16GB on win7 is fast-->32GB on win7 is all you need-->8GB is fine on win10iot-->16GB on win10iot is better-->32GB is great on win10iot.

So the memory requirement has gone from 4MB to 4GB or 4,000MB for windows, a 1000x increase. :eek: And then I consider that basic office software on win3.1 wasn't 1000x slower than today, but in some cases faster. I personally don't need all the fancy new features so I'm basically being forced to upgrade windows to be allowed on the Internet. (n) If that's not an Internet tax, I don't know what is...

Wife has 50 billion tabs open at any given time between Edge, Chrome and Brave browsers .. plus security camera program for our 8 static cameras...
Haha, I do that too, but across like 20 different computers so it's easier to manage when something crashes--plus a separate one for just camera viewing.

What I've lived through--640k is enough for DOS-->need 4MB for windows 3.1-->really need 8MB for win3.1-->need 16MB for win95-->win98se runs great on 64MB-->need 128MB for xp-->xp flies on 512MB-->4GB is the best for xp-->8GB is fine for win7-->16GB on win7 is fast-->32GB on win7 is all you need-->8GB is fine on win10iot-->16GB on win10iot is better-->32GB is great on win10iot.

So the memory requirement has gone from 4MB to 4GB or 4,000MB for windows, a 1000x increase. :eek: And then I consider that basic office software on win3.1 wasn't 1000x slower than today, but in some cases faster. I personally don't need all the fancy new features so I'm basically being forced to upgrade windows to be allowed on the Internet. (n) If that's not an Internet tax, I don't know what is...
I started tinkering in the XP days. My first ram upgrade was from 256mb to 1GB and it felt like a a completely different computer. We've seen proliferation in technology where machines aren't so much ram limited anymore. That could be from a multitude of factors, but users have come to expect a relatively snappy experience and selling PCs with too little ram in them is an easy cost to accept versus the communal outlook that you sell slow / garbage PCs. The expansion and continuing price reductions in flash storage will potentially contribute as well. On the other hand, do we start seeing machines with SSD and too little ram where the memory capacity becoming the bottleneck again...? These types of things already exist with Net / Chromebooks, soldered SODIMM platforms, and entry level products. They go in the trash because they become slow and can't be upgraded.

On a similar software note though, I was on Office 2003 for MANY years and am still on Office 2013 now. This is mostly because I refuse to update software, but I have come to find it as a limiting factor in some of my work. EG: I have a great idea on how to streamline part of my workflow, lookup how to do it, and find that my version of Excel doesn't support that feature, but newer versions do. Honestly things like Office could be updated in perpetuity, but Microsoft's got to make that subscription money now.

On the other hand, do we start seeing machines with SSD and too little ram where the memory capacity becoming the bottleneck again...?
Yeah this type of force obsolescence rubs me the wrong way for sure. A perfectly good bit of hardware basically gimped from day one because it wasn't really built to last in the first place. Really? So this is what computing has come to? We're so advanced now that in addition to a continuous stream of consumer trash we need a bit more...

I started tinkering in the XP days. My first ram upgrade was from 256mb to 1GB and it felt like a a completely different computer. We've seen proliferation in technology where machines aren't so much ram limited anymore. That could be from a multitude of factors, but users have come to expect a relatively snappy experience and selling PCs with too little ram in them is an easy cost to accept versus the communal outlook that you sell slow / garbage PCs. The expansion and continuing price reductions in flash storage will potentially contribute as well. On the other hand, do we start seeing machines with SSD and too little ram where the memory capacity becoming the bottleneck again...? These types of things already exist with Net / Chromebooks, soldered SODIMM platforms, and entry level products. They go in the trash because they become slow and can't be upgraded.

On a similar software note though, I was on Office 2003 for MANY years and am still on Office 2013 now. This is mostly because I refuse to update software, but I have come to find it as a limiting factor in some of my work. EG: I have a great idea on how to streamline part of my workflow, lookup how to do it, and find that my version of Excel doesn't support that feature, but newer versions do. Honestly things like Office could be updated in perpetuity, but Microsoft's got to make that subscription money now.

Libreoffice for the win.

Libreoffice for the win.
Openoffice ftw on older hardware too. :) The problem with OO/LO is that it is also limited in what it can do compared to the Microsoft offerings. My wife's work uses Excel a lot and there's no substitute for a lot of its data handling and features. My brother used to be of the same mind until his work moved to all google stuff. He said google sheets has come a long way, still lacking in keyboard shortcuts compared to excel, but the ability for his entire team to collaborate in real-time is a true game changer.

I tried that for 30m before I wanted to blow my brains out.
Try an older version if you didn't like it. Of course it depends on what you were trying to do. For the basics, it's perfect for my use since a letter is a letter since the days of wordstar imo.

Try an older version if you didn't like it. Of course it depends on what you were trying to do. For the basics, it's perfect for my use since a letter is a letter since the days of wordstar imo.
Rental agreement, but it was on my folk's laptop. Was helping them out. I couldn't make sense of any of it.

Rental agreement, but it was on my folk's laptop. Was helping them out. I couldn't make sense of any of it.
Wow, that's a dead simple document. Not sure what didn't make sense--it's just a usual word processor. I've written several leases in openoffice.

Same here, circa the 11.04 _buntu days. It was great for being free, but the differences just irked me enough to eventually switch back.
Yeah, the lack of keyboard shortcuts in the gui in favor of being pretty and functional turn me off on a lot of linux variants. The biggest one for me is not being able to rdp into them or at least vnc in natively. I don't want to mess with 'packages' and all that, so still on the fence until remote access becomes integrated.

no annoying ribbons that way.

Openoffice ftw on older hardware too. :) The problem with OO/LO is that it is also limited in what it can do compared to the Microsoft offerings. My wife's work uses Excel a lot and there's no substitute for a lot of its data handling and features. My brother used to be of the same mind until his work moved to all google stuff. He said google sheets has come a long way, still lacking in keyboard shortcuts compared to excel, but the ability for his entire team to collaborate in real-time is a true game changer.
And multi-access simultaneously, without conflict or merging, across different device types. The only thing close to O365 for that is GSuite - and it’s just mediocre at a lot of it.

Yeah, the lack of keyboard shortcuts in the gui in favor of being pretty and functional turn me off on a lot of linux variants. The biggest one for me is not being able to rdp into them or at least vnc in natively. I don't want to mess with 'packages' and all that, so still on the fence until remote access becomes integrated.

It’s a linux box. SSH and x forwarding.

And multi-access simultaneously, without conflict or merging, across different device types. The only thing close to O365 for that is GSuite - and it’s just mediocre at a lot of it.
I think it is gsuite that my brother is using with his team with simultaneous multi-access.

If it was a WP document I can't even fathom what you struggled with. That shit is so generic across the board.

If it was a WP document I can't even fathom what you struggled with. That shit is so generic across the board.
Bunch of line items.

a.
b.
c.
a.

That sort of thing. There were also text....boxes? That I had to move around. Can't really explain it. But I'd delete a line and have to manually move a box of text to line it up correctly with the other text.

Felt like I was writing something up in MSPaint.

Exactly. I have no idea how to do that or set up windows to be clients to those boxes.
Open command prompt. SSH username@device.

Been built in for most of windows 10. Almost any POSIX box will have ssh enabled.

Changed my vote, AGAIN.
Decided that having two full desktop workstations was indeed a bit overkill after all, sold off one mobo + CPU and combined the rest into one mega-rig which is back at 64GB. This 5900X runs four matched garbo-tier Corsair Vengeance dimms at their rated 3600-18 no problem, might try for either 3600-16 or 3800-18 too.

Still not sure that I "need" 64GB... I did see over 60GB used several times the other week while running command line tools to uncook Cyberpunk gamedata archives for mod stuff but I have a suspicion the tool has a memory leak under some circumstances. I'm back at dual-rank mem now though which I've confirmed does perform slightly better in gaming on this setup, so there's that.

Actually, if you look at the vote bar chart now, it looks like flipping the bird to '640K should be enough for anyone'.

Maybe it's just me :)

Back