How long have you used your power supply?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by chameleoneel, Jun 23, 2019.

1. grumperfish

grumperfish n00b

I recently got rid of my old Silverstone Olympia OP650 unit. Used that in Pentium-D, C2D, and C2Q systems up through 2013 or so when I built my 2600K box and the 12V rail started dropping a little at full load. Kept it around as a testing unit for a long time after that but finally decided last year that even as a diagnostic PSU, a 12/13-year old unit had to go.

The 750 TX V1 replacement PSU is still going strong in my brother's desktop, but it's about 8 or 9 years old itself and probably time to replace it too.

2. Esso

Esso Limp Gawd

From Nov 2011: Thermaltake Toughpower 1050W - still alive... not sure how far gone the voltages are, but it seems to be keeping an o/c'd i7 860 mostly happy. It will be forcefully retired in a year or less I surmise.

It has made it further than many others I've had in the past, so ymmv.

3. dmdtobe

dmdtobe n00b

I'm not sure I've ever had a PSU go bad on me... I did have an Antec PSU that gave me some issues but they were more manufacturing defects than anything. I did have to contact the BBB to get them to warranty it though.

4. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

Antec from the late 90s up until 2006-2008 used shitty capacitors and flawed designs, which resulted in extremely high failure rates. The SL and Basiq series had horrific overheating issues due to having an improperly set fan:heat curves, so they'd basically cook. They also used predominantly Fuhjyyu capacitors which had 100% failure rates. The Smartpower, Truepower and Earthwatts didn't have overheating issues, but they used trash capacitors the same. There was a period of time where I was recapping dozen or so of these units monthly.