How does Asus survive with such terrible RMA service?

Like I said earlier, one good thing is that Raja dude that I've seen pop in on almost all the threads complaining of a problem with an Asus board telling the OP to PM him and he'll get to the bottom of it for them. Gotta give them credit for that. I don't know of any other mobo brand with am active rep here. Corsair and Galaxy also have reps here which is a big part of why I buy their stuff.

I'm going to have to look him up. I need to figure out where my board is :rolleyes:.

These threads scare the shit out of me.

I just sent my z68 Deluxe to Indiana ;0

Good luck man. I wouldn't have thought it would be this bad, but here I am.

Because they were great in the past, and that's what people remember. It takes time for people's opinions to change, especially if they don't experience it directly. The most highly recommended boards on most forums is still Asus, but that's slowly changing.

They were great? When?

I continue to use ASUS boards because I've never needed RMA service. I've never had any real problems with any of them. I've had well more than 20 ASUS boards which I've paid for out of my own pocket over the years and all served me very well.

EDIT: There is one exception to the rule, which is the ASUS Striker Extreme. I had one of those and it went tits up on me. However I blame the chipset and not the motherboard manufacturer. Sadly it was the most reliable 680i SLI board I ever used.

Consider yourself lucky.

I will start by saying the hardware generally is fine in my experience with asus. Working in IT for a while I've had to rma a lot of asus gear over the years(as well as pretty much every other big vendor). Asus support has generally been horrible. I can't really say personally if it has changed in the last 6 years or so but I've recommended against them at least that long. Their website has pretty much always been crap for drivers(years of issues with servers timing out). It has gotten a lot better but really it took them forever to fix.

I will say I predicted the shit support with their notebooks. I knew they were not ready to jump into that game and everyone I know that has had a hardware issue with an asus notebook has said how bad it was. To be fair most of the people I've met they have them bought them from best buy though so that doesn't really help.

I will say I've seen bad support from pretty much everyone though. I had intel try to argue with me saying I needed to either use the online chat or pay for support to verify a board was dead. One of the mofset's smoked and caught on fire.

Every single ASUS product I've purchased has died on me. The last product I bought was a P5B-Delux for a customer that burned up 3 video cards before I figured it had to be the motherboard. We RMA'd it, surprisingly we got it back relatively quickly 3 weeks, probably because they didn't even bother to look at it. Three months later it burned up another video card. Me buy ASUS again? Don't think so.

How does Asus survive with such terrible RMA service?
Simple...there's many more satisfied customers than non-satisfied customers.

Now how hard is that to figure out? LOL!

Update;

Received A board back today. So.. It wasn't my board and it wasn't the type of board I bought.

I bought the M4A88TD-M/USB3 I got back the M4A88TD-M without the USB3.

The board looks like it is in good shape; no obvious thermal paste or bad soldering jobs (having to write that makes me sad). I haven't installed it yet, so not sure if it works.

Amazed. What should I do?

Yeah, Amazed at the level on imcompetence, But thinking it's better than nothing at this point. I'll call them in a little and see what they say.

Call and bitch. Get them to cross ship you the right board and pay for shipping.

Yeah, Amazed at the level on imcompetence, But thinking it's better than nothing at this point. I'll call them in a little and see what they say.

I'm sure they sent that MB because they didn't have an exact replacement for yours and figured it'd be a suitable replacement.

Go ahead and send it back if you wanna wait 'till there's an exact replacement for yours.

This is my last Asus product.

Called them and first they tried to tell me that the board was the same. That the serial number was to a USB3 board. Imagine how frustrating it is when you are looking at the board. Then the guy said Ok, he would ship me another motherboard, I could either ship mine back and wait or they the can put a 135 hold on my credit card. I would do the hold for any other company but, there I don't think there is no way I would let this company put a hold on my card. Also, what if I get back a board that is in worse shape.

Think I'll test this board and see what happens. I see a black mark on the heatsink holder so most likely it was a board that was sent in for RMA to begin with.

I wanted a usb 3.0 board because I generally get flash drives of all standards and wanted to know my computer can access them.

That's why i never buy any asus products. I just stick with evga for the best customer service, especially I RMA'ed my dead SR-2 and sent it oversea from Australia and they sent it back with a replacement without any question. :)

Then the guy said Ok, he would ship me another motherboard, I could either ship mine back and wait or they the can put a 135 hold on my credit card.
He probably wanted to send you a new MB for 135.00.

I see a black mark on the heatsink holder so most likely it was a board that was sent in for RMA to begin with.
You sound like you're not familiar with how it works?

All RMAs are replaced by repaired RMA units.

You're way out of line if you think Asus would do something "bad" with your CC.

I RMA'ed my dead SR-2 and sent it oversea from Australia and they sent it back with a replacement without any question.
A 500.00 MB is gonna get more attention than a 150.00 MB. :)

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, when consumers demand/buy cheaper MBs the profits get smaller. And when the profits get smaller so does the customer service and component quality.

Last edited:
I`m about to get an advanced RMA from ASUS. I`m currently using the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. Unfortunately, the RAM slots died (kept getting error code 55) and now I have to go through this.

After reading all the stories here, I`m kind of scared now.

I`m about to get an advanced RMA from ASUS. I`m currently using the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. Unfortunately, the RAM slots died (kept getting error code 55) and now I have to go through this.

After reading all the stories here, I`m kind of scared now.

Yep. Going to be RMA'ing a Z77 WS board in 2 months when I'm back from vacation.

I wonder how they decide what board to send the customer, especially in an advanced RMA situation where they can't just send back the same board they receive.

Do they have stock of brand new never been opened mobos?

Or do they just ship some sort of B stock or refurbished stock?

Or do they just ship out boards that they've received from other users (perhaps fixed or perhaps not)?

I hope I don't end up getting someone else's troubled board. I didn't pay nearly $350 for a used mobo.

Thank you guys for sharing your experience. My next build will be SuperMicro. I am more and more convinced it is a good choice.

Or do they just ship out boards that they've received from other users (perhaps fixed or perhaps not)?
All RMAs are replaced by repaired RMA units

AFAIK this is the way it's done for ALL computer parts (except for CPUs and RAM) from EVERY manfg.

There's always exceptions (maybe a minor upgrade if a model is no longer being produced) but those exceptions are what proves the rule. :)

Asus's RMAs are no better or worse than others and you'll find threads condemning every manfg.

They have many more satisfied customers than dissatisfied so you pay your money and take your chances and I'll bet 90% of the people that say they'll NEVER buy Asus again will renege and purchase again.

Good Luck!

Because 99% of people don't have to deal with it?

The complaints/RMAs come from a tiny amount compared to all of the stuff sold.

This is the exact reason i switched from Asus to Gigabyte in recent years. I haven't had a single problem with Gigabyte hardware, yet.

The complaints/RMAs come from a tiny amount compared to all of the stuff sold.
And 50% of that is probably operator error. LOL!

EVERY manfg's RMA dept. drops the ball from time to time but as you can see in this thread not all consumers realize that they will be getting another RMA'd board and it may take awhile to get one.

There's been reports about rednecks when you call Asus for RMA. It's true. LOL, my guy sounded like a redneck, but he was pretty nice and informative about how to troubleshoot my system before I decide to RMA the board.

And 50% of that is probably operator error. LOL!

EVERY manfg's RMA dept. drops the ball from time to time but as you can see in this thread not all consumers realize that they will be getting another RMA'd board and it may take awhile to get one.

I think that is inherently the problem. I have RMA'd tons of computer hardware. Usuallly there is a fast turnaround. MB's are the foundation of your computer. Therefore a MB 's manufacturers RMA's process should be faster than any other component IMHO.

for this reason only i will never buy asus ever again!! i have had alot of high end boards from asus they have all died. the low ends seam to last. and rma takes forever, one took over 2 months!!!!

Update:

I decided for the cross-ship. I shipped my MB back on Fri. received the replacement today. I opened up the box and to my suprise one of the heatsinks was partialy off. Quality control at it's best. I could replace it myself, but what confidence should I have in a board that arrives in that condition? Incensed that the cross-ship took so long, I bought another board. I'll continue to RMA it again and again and again until I'm satisfied.

I decided for the cross-ship. I shipped my MB back on Fri. Received the replacement today. I opened up the box and to my surprise one of the heat sinks was partially off. Quality control at its best. I could replace it myself, but what confidence should I have in a board that arrives in that condition? Incensed that the cross-ship took so long, I bought another board. I'll continue to RMA it again and again and again until I'm satisfied.

img0418uq.jpg

Last edited:
I decided for the cross-ship. I shipped my MB back on Fri. received the replacement today. I opened up the box and to my suprise one of the heatsinks was partialy off. Quality control at it's best. I could replace it myself, but what confidence should I have in a board that arrives in that condition? Incensed that the cross-ship took so long, I bought another board. I'll continue to RMA it again and again and again until I'm satisfied.

img0418uq.jpg

Awesome work ASUS.

Holy shit.

I'm really getting gun-shy lately,a bit off topic but......

I've recently upgraded to GTX 670s. I had to buy 4 MSI 670 models to get 2 that worked.

Also I wanted to buy my daughter a 6950, so I bought one from Amazon, good sale, card was shit. Bought one from newegg, same thing. Now on our third.

What is up lately? Up until this last month I've only RMA'd one item in my life, now I've been to UPS to send stuff back about 6 times this month.

I've been regularly working with Asus' KGPE-D16, which has worked as a decent board. (Server-class dual 8-core opteron systems) However recently seem to be getting boards that are DOA.

Thought it a Newegg thing, since they've been on the route of selling their old opened products for cheaper prices. Maybe not, since seeing this thread...

My wife sent her Transformer Prime in for RMA - a week after she got it some of the plastic trim around the screen started to peel off. I could have fixed it carefully with some super glue (perhaps) but we sent it in for RMA - we paid $500 for it after all.

They sat on it for "7 business days before we can provide you an update" and wouldn't give us any status. 2 weeks after it arrived there, they fixed it, finally - turnaround was almost 3.5 weeks.

It came back with the plastic badly glued back on - worse than I probably could have done - it makes the tablet look dented.

Thanks Asus :rolleyes:

Somehow the screen got cracked anyway (we're not sure how...kids?) along the edge - wife is using anyway with a screen protector on - so not like it matters in the long run, it's pretty much a loss at this point when we replace it - who wants a Transformer prime with a cracked screen and a dented side?

I'm probably not buying an Asus tablet myself for this reason. My wife loves the tablet (replaced her iPad 1) but the RMA service was terrible, terrible.

No more ASUS products for me, period. I've had terrible experiences with their laptop and motherboard RMA departments in the US. Terrible service, outright insults from repair techs / "service" personel, several dealings with people who clearly had little to no grasp of the English language... Forget ASUS, there are so many better options out there.

I strongly recommend customers, friends, and family don't purchase their products anymore as well. Once upon a time they were a solid option. Not anymore.

Also, Old Hippie? Get the hell out of this thread, and stop being such a blatant apologist. The shit they pull is inexcusable and here you are interjecting "LOL" and "Good Luck!" with abundant sarcasm when people are rightfully complaining about terrible service related to $200+ products, many of which died in less than six months under normal usage. A guy's USB 3.0 ports don't work and you tell him to use eSATA rather than expect the product to actually function? Do you work for ASUS, are you just trolling, or both? Can't believe you haven't been banned in almost 7 years here with that kind of full-on jackass attitude.

Last edited:
Yup, a whole world of difference in quality mobo's going from Asus to Supermicro.

11 years ago this was not true. The place where I worked at would only sell SM boards if they were special ordered.

SM had about at 90% DOA rate back then.

I have built over 150 computers in the past 2 years with asus boards and have yet to rma a single one, the company i will never use for a motherboard ever again is evga had issues with every board i tryed to use from them. that's just the past 2 years i have used asus since abit went away. do use gigabyte sometimes.

Update to my Saga,

I called in; they immediately wanted me to send a pic of the damage. They showed little concern that this would be the 3rd time I'm RMA'ing the same motherboard and no special handling of it. I obviously had the picture, but at this point of the process, i though it was an inappropriate request. I wanted to see if anything would change if I escalated the call. I escalated to Tier 2 support. I received the same treatment. So, I requested it be escalated it to Tier 3. Spoke to Dwayne in Tier 3 support. Initially he stressed me about sending in a picture. Again, I normally would understand, but after 2 bad mobo's I think customer support should be more concerned about the customer. Anyhow, emailed him the pic. He became a little more helpful. He told me he would ship the board from the Cal. plant instead of the Indiana plant and he would have a manager personally look at it first. That says a lot huh? Anyhow, I'm not expecting much. Next time I'll do an unboxing video,.. :)

Honestly, I've purchased plenty of Asus boards; one currently running my htpc and one in my backup computer in the attic. At this moment I just don't see myself buying another ASUS product. I almost bought an ASUS laptop 6 months ago. Glad I didn’t; I have seen the light.

Btw, it;s going to take up to 2 days to check the inventory before I receive the RMA to begin the crossship.

Last edited:
Until I get burned by Asus they will always get my business. I've been using their mothers in every system i've built for my family since Abit left the consumer market which was around the Pentium 4 days. I also have owned a handful of mid range laptops, and currently have two TF101s.

I think they manufacture such great products but on the flip side I have never had to deal with their RMA process.

Luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Got the same serial board back for the 2nd time from RMA...
board randomly crapped out....RMAd ...returned still dead...no comment no nothing.
RMAd again... returned... no comment...nothing same serial number.
Checked status of rma online...says waiting for me to send it to them... lol.

I will test it this weekend before flipping my room looking for JJs number.

my 2 cents is having built about 50 systems with Asus boards over the last 17 odd years and not a single problem I can remember other than perhaps early build bios issues that were fixed with patches. Bad boards are always possible from any manufacturer and I've bought other boards as well XFX and MSI. The XFX boards I had both failed. But all of these are just personal experiences (everyone's complaints are anecdotal) If asus sells ~250k boards per MONTH failure and rma percentages are likely quite small.

Last edited:
my 2 cents is having built about 50 systems with Asus boards over the last 17 odd years and not a single problem I can remember other than perhaps early build bios issues that were fixed with patches. Bad boards are always possible from any manufacturer and I've bought other boards as well XFX and MSI. The XFX boards I had both failed. But all of these personal experiences (from everyone are merely anecdotal) If asus sells ~250k boards per MONTH failure and rma percentages are likely quite small.

Um... I have done 8 asus builds... p6tse died from bad psu me thinks...they replaced without question...
and then there is this board and bad rma service so far.

Yeah I like their products no doubt. They stole me from Gigabyte.

I'm at a loss on all this.. I've never had a problem with Asus. I've been playing with my new Asus M5A97 w/ FX8120. Started right up and prompted me to hit F-1 for new CPU detect. Went into the BIOS and updated to newest, then used the OC utility to bump it. running at 4Ghz with my True Copper & a couple utterly silent S-Flex SFF21D fans passing air thru it before pulling it out the back with another.

The ONLY time I have ever had a problem with a new board was Abit. It refused to run a RAID array with onboard controller no matter how I tried to set it up, and I RMA'd it TWICE at my own expense only to have them send it back a month later each time with post it notes on it telling me 1st "no problems with inspection" and the 2nd time "make sure sufficient capacity with Power Supply"..

Shortly after Abit closed shop and I got a new Asus Board from Newegg. Been using Asus ever since. I THINK the board was a P-5A.. LOL.. I remember unlocking the processor with superglue and a trace pen. GAWD I miss those days

I'm at a loss on all this.. I've never had a problem with Asus.

Asus is great...when it works.

I finally got my board back from Asus. Probably a 5 week turn around time. Glad it wasn't anything important :rolleyes:. They did send me a brand new board in retail packaging though. That was nice.

Asus makes a great product but their customer service is horrendous.

I guess that I called it when I said in another 6 months Asus' presence would be non-existent on this forum.

Back