Become a Patron!

How do you detect a falsely re-lidded CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Quartz-1, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks to delidding tools, it's now possible to put the lid of - for example - an i7 CPU on an i3 CPU. Or - more subtly - the lid of an i5-2500k on an i5-2500. Can this be casually detected?

2. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

There's a 2D barcode on the substrate that you can scan using an app to get the ATPO number. Then go Intel's warranty check page enter the FPO number from the lid and the decoded ATPO number to see if pair can be found in their database.

3. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

So, not a casual check. I was hoping for something to be printed along the edge or underside or something.

4. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

If you want to check it before you buy it, you can scan the barcode from a picture of the CPU, but there's nothing else to indicate that the lid and the CPU under it match up.

5. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTM Jan 16 March 17

Damn, I never even thought that this could even be an issue. Now I'm gonna be skeptical about buying used CPUs.

6. janas19

janas19 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, but even then I doubt this affects the type of person who posts on this forum. I mean if you are buying through Amazon or eBay you are protected. And on Craigslist or online classifieds, you would be pretty stupid to buy from a first time seller or meet someone in a public place to buy a bare chip CPU. Scammers target naive and unsophisticated buyers not people who do their homework first.

7. Chapeau

Chapeau Limp Gawd

You could always just look at the way the IHS is mounted to the PCB. The stock chips have a distinctive black sealant (glue) that squishes out at the edges.

[​IMG]
    The rough texture and amount of glue is a giveaway on this factory example.

[​IMG]
    This is typical of a DIY job. No excess glue...
    - The glue is also very smooth like most consumer sealants, silicone's and adhesives.