How Android N Addresses Security

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google has managed to make the latest Android version run better and safer in three distinct ways. One is encryption oriented, while the others allow for more practical and efficient methods of updating the OS.

Seamless updates will use two separate system partitions. One of them is the system you're running as you use your phone every day. When it's time for an update, the other system partition gets altered and updated, and the next time you reboot you're automatically switched over. The next time there is an update, the other system partition gets changed and you switch back. That means things can be done while you're working or playing, and when it is finished all you need to do is reboot normally. You'd be surprised (I was when I heard it) but a pretty large chunk of people don't update their phone because it takes a while.

Maybe people don't update because the updating process requires one to have a Google account?
Please correct me if that is incorrect.

Maybe people don't update because the updating process requires one to have a Google account?
No it's because carriers don't release updates in a timely manner, and that's how updates are usually distributed, rather than directly from Google or through the phone manufacturer (which IMO is how it should be). Most people that have an Android device already had a Google/GMail account or make one for the phone anyway. Is one required? No - only if you want to use Google's services. I personally made a separate GMail account when I got my first Android phone so that it was completely separated from any of my other accounts so it only has phone-related things.

Hmm. I really don't know much about this but I was under the impression that updates occur (possibly on a weekly basis) by way of Google Play. And Google Play requires a Google account. Is that not right?
Most people that have an Android device already had a Google/GMail account or make one for the phone anyway. Is one required? No - only if you want to use Google's services.

Hmm. I really don't know much about this but I was under the impression that updates occur (possibly on a weekly basis) by way of Google Play. And Google Play requires a Google account. Is that not right?

You may be thinking of app updates - not system updates. System/OS updates are done through the carrier. App updates are done through Google Play, yes. Which by default is set to auto-update when signed into a Play account.

However, Play Services aren't required on Android - look at Amazon's Fire devices. They don't use Google's services - they have their own app store and such.

APP updates are through the Play store. ANDROID updates are through the phone manufacturer and phone carrier and are very slow to roll out. Marshmallow came out in October of last year and many are still on Lollipop.

My Apps seem to always update when I am home and my phone is on its Dock charging(i still have my Samsung dock from my S4 and it works perfectly with the note 5). I don't ever reboot my phone until it downloads a security update or OS update (that hasn't ever happened on this phone) so I don't see why app updates would need that.

However, Play Services aren't required on Android - look at Amazon's Fire devices. They don't use Google's services - they have their own app store and such.

Unfortunately the opposite is true if you look at the fire phone. Play services aren't required, but you're dead without them. That's why Microsoft hasn't been dumb enough to try spinning their own version of Android.

It's more that carriers/manufacturers/whoever don't release updates in a decent timeframe...if at all. They want to push you to buy a new phone, so why allow you to upgrade to the latest and greatest without paying them first?

Of course it's all horseshit but that's how it is.

Most people don't upgrade because updates are not released for their phone.
My Samsung S3 (T-Mobile) was stuck at 4.3, because T-Mobile decided not to bother with the 4.4 release.
That also meant it was stuck with a growing list of security holes.
The reason given for not upgrading it to 5.x was that the dual core CPU was too slow to support 5.x

That's one of the reasons I finally decided to upgrade to a newer phone. I use it for work, so I needed something I could depend on.

After switching to the new phone, I decided to root my old S3 and I manually installed 5.1.
It runs better than it ever did under 4.x, so the "it's to slow for 5.x" was nothing but a lie to get people to upgrade to a new phone.
At least now I have a spare phone incase someone needs it :)

the article does seem to make it look like users are ignoring updates but when in fact its due to them Not getting the updates in the first place (operator branded phones or the mobile maker not bothering with updates)

i do find the Full system upgrades to newer version of android do take some time as when the phone reboots it does that optimizing app thing which can take long time (on a high end phone)

Plenty of updates have been released for phones... in other countries where the carriers can be bypassed. We in Canada and USA seem to enjoy getting fucked by carriers and contracts. That was why I made sure I could unlock my phone and benefit from a developer community before getting the one I did on Prepaid. The LG G3 came shipped with a buggy version of Lollipop on Sprint, was able to install XenonHD Marshmallow on it and it's been utterly fantastic. It's really a shame it has to be done this way.

The carrier system in the US seems so old fashioned. I would hate to have to live with that.

Gee, I don't update my android device because when I check for updates, it says there aren't any. I'm pretty sure the majority of people behind the latest release are in the same boat, not whining about it being too damn slow.

Streamlining the process is something I can get behind.

But I really want to see built in end to end SMS and MMS encryption. The current methods are incomplete, namely in the self backup department, and convenience for users.

Things will never improve until OEM's stop modifying the software, and wireless providers stop trying to control it.

Google needs to move to the Desktop OS model, with a single install base, that they push updates to directly to, without any involvement of OEM's or Wireless providers.

Smartphones are essentially just small computers. Wireless providers should just be dumb ISP's, and handset manufacturers should be just like computer manufacturers, divorced from the software on their devices.

Gee, I don't update my android device because when I check for updates, it says there aren't any. I'm pretty sure the majority of people behind the latest release are in the same boat, not whining about it being too damn slow.

Even the Nexus 4 is stuck at 5.1, as Google has no plans to release 6.0 for it.

Meanwhile I can upgrade a 9 year old PC to Windows 10, and it works better that it did on XP/Vista/Windows 7.

Things will never improve until OEM's stop modifying the software, and wireless providers stop trying to control it.

Google needs to move to the Desktop OS model, with a single install base, that they push updates to directly to, without any involvement of OEM's or Wireless providers.

Smartphones are essentially just small computers. Wireless providers should just be dumb ISP's, and handset manufacturers should be just like computer manufacturers, divorced from the software on their devices.

Exactly why I went with a Nexus 6 when I upgraded. The hodgepodge way Google allows Android to be fractured is dangerous.

Back