HOT - Q9550 $169 MC in store only

My microcenter started the sale today. They gave me the $30 back for my i7.

Santa Clara is out of stock. I'll pick one up if they get them in. Anyone know if they are E0's? I'm guessing they are but anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
i keep telling myself....i don't need this....i don't need this...

then in the back of my head i think i would love to upgrade my e6420. but then i would need a better mobo bc my old p965 asus cannot oc quads at all. so if i am going new cpu and mobo i might as well wait for i5....

remain calm...hide the credit card or something.

I go this in the Chicago location 3.8 - 447 FSB stock voltages. Posts @ 4ghz not stable.

i keep telling myself....i don't need this....i don't need this...

then in the back of my head i think i would love to upgrade my e6420. but then i would need a better mobo bc my old p965 asus cannot oc quads at all. so if i am going new cpu and mobo i might as well wait for i5....

remain calm...hide the credit card or something.

Double check and make sure your motherboard supports 45nm's before you buy it if you decide to try it on your current mobo.

thanks to this hotdeals thread, I'm now a proud owner of an E0 Q9550! :D

soon I'll be living under a bridge, towing around my bad ass pc...

Picked one up today in duluth, GA. Looked like they had a few left.

thanks to this hotdeals thread, I'm now a proud owner of an E0 Q9550! :D

soon I'll be living under a bridge, towing around my bad ass pc...

lol. yeah it's a damn vicious hobby that sucks up your money :D:D

well, these hot deals definitely lessen the blow a bit! :cool:

Or make it worse...depending on your level of self control ;) What's the stock voltage on these chips? Can they run at 1.15V vcore? How about at 400mhz FSB? So tempting...

Or make it worse...depending on your level of self control ;) What's the stock voltage on these chips? Can they run at 1.15V vcore? How about at 400mhz FSB? So tempting...

I'll have mine in tonight. I'll let you know what the vcore is on it.

picked up one to, haven't installed it yet though. Just wanted to know, will my heatsink (Zalman 9700) be good enough or should I go get a 120 ultra extreme?

they run at 1.21 - 1.22 stock voltage
they can do 3.4ghz 400fsb on that voltage stable as hell

they run at 1.21 - 1.22 stock voltage
they can do 3.4ghz 400fsb on that voltage stable as hell

I'm testing mine right now. So far I can confirm that it does 3.4 at 1.22. I'm testing 3.6 at 1.25 right now which seems fine, but apparently my Asus Maximus hits an FSB wall at anything past that. I tried 3.8 at 1.36 and it just won't boot. It freezes right before the vista loading bar shows up. Anyone know anything about this particular board? I ran 442x9.5 on my e8500 all day long but with a quad it doesnt work. I havent tried much but I'm stumped at the moment.

I'm testing mine right now. So far I can confirm that it does 3.4 at 1.22. I'm testing 3.6 at 1.25 right now which seems fine, but apparently my Asus Maximus hits an FSB wall at anything past that. I tried 3.8 at 1.36 and it just won't boot. It freezes right before the vista loading bar shows up. Anyone know anything about this particular board? I ran 442x9.5 on my e8500 all day long but with a quad it doesnt work. I havent tried much but I'm stumped at the moment.

probably just need to up the volts more. Your motherboard should have no prob getting that cpu to 4.0.

Sounds like you didn't get a very good Ocing chip...

probably just need to up the volts more. Your motherboard should have no prob getting that cpu to 4.0.

Sounds like you didn't get a very good Ocing chip...

Ooh, I just did a google search and it appears my x38 is the culprit. Apparently with 45nm quads, the max FSB is around ~440 on the Maximus Formula. I actually think I have a good chip because I'm running orthos right now at 3700 (8.5x435) at 1.24v and all is well so far. Anyways, I'm gonna pull it out and try it on my UD3P tomorrow. If I hit 4+ on that board, I will put my e8500 back in my main rig or swap boards. I will repost with my results.

Ooh, I just did a google search and it appears my x38 is the culprit. Apparently with 45nm quads, the max FSB is around ~440. I actually think I have a good chip because I'm running orthos right now at 3700 (8.5x435) and all is well so far. Anyways, I'm gonna pull it out and try it on my UD3P tomorrow. If I hit 4+ on that board, I will put my e8500 back in my main rig or swap boards. I will repost with my results.

good luck! I wish I had a MC near by so I could snag this deal. Oh well my q6600 is still going strong.

yeah, it just passed 5 instances of Orthos with 1.24v at 3700. I believe the wall is no joke. Tomorrow will know for sure. until then, nite!

I've also been able to get to 3.4 easily with no changes in voltage, but for love nor money, it won't get past 420fsb stably. I'm happy with the 3.4 as it is though.

this chip is pretty fast its pretty much over kill just to overclock it

got around to installing mine. its an E0 and i am at 3.8ghz with 1.31v and a 450fsb. Running very smooth. Ran 10 passes of intel burn test with no issues. Great temps as well with my Zalman 9700: mid 30's idle and low 60's load.

Pretty impressive little chip.

I believe tests have shown the cpu bottleneck to be removed at 3.6ghz.

I recently upgraded my videocard from a 9800 gt to an ati 4890 and have seen no fps improvements, leading me to think it's my core 2 duo e6600. Would this CPU be removing my possible CPU bottleneck? Will I see a huge improvement? (my e6600 is oc'd from 2.4 to 3.0 ghz?

Here is the thread with my issue ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034315418#post1034315418 )

yes, when i had my e8400 and an 8800gt, i got like 20-30 FPS in gta iv on high settings. When i gto a q6600 they went up to 30-40 FPS. like u mentioned, gta iv uses 4 cores and runs a lot better

I get 4.0ghz on 1.35vcore easily. 4.2ghz with a little more. If you dont get 4 on 1.36vcore, it is prob. something else.

its always worth it to overclock mhz are mhz just go back to a p3 and play all your games

danmoody,

any idea when us on the West Coast will be seeing more of these in stock? I spoke to my local store and all they could tell me was that they got their shipments Mon and Thurs, but had no idea what was coming till it arrives.

Thanks

I got one from MicroCenter in Santa Clara last week. I ordered it on Tuesday and picked it up Thursday.

picked up one to, haven't installed it yet though. Just wanted to know, will my heatsink (Zalman 9700) be good enough or should I go get a 120 ultra extreme?

Zalman 9700 works great for cooling Q9550.

Back