HELP Windows 10 Pro settings closes immediately

No luck. Update won't install (which is a good thing I suppose) and I can't get Firefox working at all... Maybe I'll try reinstalling windows for a third time.:confused:

I've been running stable for awhile, not sure why it would have an effect now and on only one program. Both standard and beta versions of firefox crash now. Edge works fine, wont use chrome... very very odd behavior.

Try running a live distro, like Ubuntu 21.04, to see if you have issues there or not.

Try running a live distro, like Ubuntu 21.04, to see if you have issues there or not.
Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about Linux. I'm thinking more and more that I have some failing hardware whether it's the cpu, MB, or nvme drive. Not sure how after a fresh install of windows I get consistent failure with Firefox. 100% when trying to go to YouTube, randomly upon opening and after a short time browsing somewhere like hardforum. I've had the nvidia context menu not appear once or twice on a fresh boot. Rebooting fixes this. And I've had either windows update or windows settings screen randomly disappear once or twice on the latest windows install. My only thoughts at this point are bad hardware or a corrupted windows usb drive. I downloaded and created the usb just a week or two ago to help a buddy build a new computer. Maybe somehow that usb got messed up. Going to try a different usb and redownload the media creation tool. If that doesn't fix it, then any ideas on which piece of hardware might be failing?

Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about Linux. I'm thinking more and more that I have some failing hardware whether it's the cpu, MB, or nvme drive. Not sure how after a fresh install of windows I get consistent failure with Firefox. 100% when trying to go to YouTube, randomly upon opening and after a short time browsing somewhere like hardforum. I've had the nvidia context menu not appear once or twice on a fresh boot. Rebooting fixes this. And I've had either windows update or windows settings screen randomly disappear once or twice on the latest windows install. My only thoughts at this point are bad hardware or a corrupted windows usb drive. I downloaded and created the usb just a week or two ago to help a buddy build a new computer. Maybe somehow that usb got messed up. Going to try a different usb and redownload the media creation tool. If that doesn't fix it, then any ideas on which piece of hardware might be failing?
You don't need to know anything, just burn the ISO to a USB stick and see if your computer works normally when you boot it from the USB. Linux has a desktop just like Windows. Mouse. Point. Click.

You don't need to know anything, just burn the ISO to a USB stick and see if your computer works normally when you boot it from the USB. Linux has a desktop just like Windows. Mouse. Point. Click.
ok, going to try ubuntu today. Anything recommended to try out once I boot into Ubuntu? Does it come with a web browser that i can try out some websites and such? I am not sure what is causing the odd behavior in windows, so Im not sure how to duplicate it in Ubuntu. I guess if it is hardward related I will just notice odd behavior in Ubuntu?

ok, going to try ubuntu today. Anything recommended to try out once I boot into Ubuntu? Does it come with a web browser that i can try out some websites and such? I am not sure what is causing the odd behavior in windows, so Im not sure how to duplicate it in Ubuntu. I guess if it is hardward related I will just notice odd behavior in Ubuntu?
If you take the Kubuntu variant it will be just like Windows. Browsers, office apps etc. The regular Ubuntu uses Gnome desktop which will seem strange for someone used to Windows. Kubuntu will work more like Windows (menus etc). I recommend Etcher for burning the ISO on USB.

So apparently my computer was just PMSing? Booted into Windows, updates still paused, ran firefox, navigated to youtube, ran crystal disk mark, hard drive at speed, some other web browsing. full virus scan with windows defender.. all worked as expected. I did turn off fast startup yesterday before stopping for the night. I wonder if there was some corrupted data cached or something that was causing the issues within windows. I will try out some of these other recommendations as needed. Thank you all for the support.

I think another interesting piece of the puzzle is that I was having a buzzing sound coming from the PSU (Thread Here) with the computer completely shut down. That no longer is happening since having all these other issues. Not sure how they could be related though.

Last edited:
You just needed to threaten your computer with linux and it snapped out of it :p

Fastboot is such a bad idea, especially with SSD media so cheap.

I honest think this was the culprit. I turned off fastboot in bios, I didnt know there was also a fast startup or whatever its called in windows. I thought they were the same thing.

Back